• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is Recore still supposed to be this year?

Rymuth

seinfeld-the-wrath-of-khan-o.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can feel the cringe in that Inafune message. He knew how his words would go over like a lead balloon, and yet he still had to do it.

Ouch.

mclem

at this point, Id' continue to delay it forever and ever. that wuld sign a milestone in VG history

It'd take a long time to beat Duke Nukem Forever.

As a backer, I don't really mind the delays (on this or indeed any of the other KS I've pledged to) all that much; one of the reasons I pledge to KS is to give creative freedom, and the freedom to delay is part of that; if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.

Now, if they run out of money as a result, that's a different matter. I've not heard any indication of financial difficulty, but they're not quite as up-front about things as Double Fine were.

Your kind of reaction is the bigger joke. So they are having some network problems that they are taking time to fix proprely instead of releasing a broken game. Where's the joke in that? With how many online modes have been broken in games in recent years, you'd think this is the preferable alternative instead of just pushing shit out even when it doesn't work properly.
why would you even try and defend this. everything about the project has been messy, this isn't some one time thing that's easy to look past

I backed Shenmue because it was a dream come true (which I hope won't become a nightmare...) but I'm happy not to back as many games as before.

I just don't care about Mighty No. 9 any more :'(

Spaghetti

Rock and a hard place. Either release the game with MP coming in a patch later, or delay. Either way they're gonna catch shit for it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me if most of the Kickstarter money actually went to the sequel and the reason for all the delays is because the first game is being created on a much tighter budget lol

"All the money"? When are people going to wake up to the fact that $4m isn't actually a ton of money for a game of MN9's quality, such as it is, especially when it has to deploy on 10 different platforms?

Go_Ly_Dow

1. I would have thought UE3 could handle a game of such relative simplicity.

2. Does this game still look like ass in comparison to the original conceptual art?

Your kind of reaction is the bigger joke. So they are having some network problems that they are taking time to fix proprely instead of releasing a broken game. Where's the joke in that? With how many online modes have been broken in games in recent years, you'd think this is the preferable alternative instead of just pushing shit out even when it doesn't work properly.
It's a joke because the last time around the game was supposedly pretty much ready to ship but they ran on some minor issues and couldn't get the game out on time because of certification woes or something like that.

Now suddenly they hit a snag on development of a game that was "done" and need an extra 3~4 months to deal with some matchmaking stuff. Bullshit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rock and a hard place. Either release the game with MP coming in a patch later, or delay. Either way they're gonna catch shit for it.
When you put it like that, I'd have easily launched with single player first. Metal Gear Solid V did it.

How much of this Mega Man-core fanbase really cares about online... Honestly.

S1kkZ

the fuck?

does the publisher (deep silver?) continue to pay the staff until the game is released?
i start to get the impression that they keep finding reasons to delay the game, to make sure the publisher keeps paying the bills (asuming it even works that way...).

i am a backer (150$) and defended the game until now. but this is just absurd. the game doesnt even have a "real" online mode.

liquidtmd

Banned
They should have released the single player to backers and given them the online version later.

Genuinely horrible for the backers.

-shadow-

"All the money"? When are people going to wake up to the fact that $4m isn't actually a ton of money for a game of MN9's quality, such as it is, especially when it has to deploy on 10 different platforms?
Which it doesn't. They could very easily have started with PC (or any other singular platform) and worked their way from there onto other platforms. But instead they deliberately went for the multiple platforms knowing full well the problems they could (and probably would) eventually run into.

I honestly thought this was going to be a joke thread... I'm not laughing sadly. If all of this problems come from Inti Creates which is a developer with many games developed I guess Red Ash will be an even bigger disaster than MN9 already is.

Spaghetti

When you put it like that, I'd have easily launched with single player first. Metal Gear Solid V did it.

How much of this Mega Man-core fanbase really cares about online... Honestly.
I think it's more damage control of "KS GAME LAUNCHES UNFINISHED" type headlines which poison the well for any future crowd funding.

I feel it would have been wisest to just edit out the options in the UI pertaining to online, release on schedule, and patch online back in when it's working. This delay is just going to burn the last few bridges they had left to burn.

Where did i say all the money? Also that sounds like a bad case of underestimation on their part.

This game has the honor of being my only Kickstarter regret. At this point I just consider my KS pledge a charitable contribution. Over the last year I have lost all interest in the game--I feel sorry for people who backed at high levels. I honestly think when the dust settles I'll have wrung more enjoyment out of Duke Nukem Forever than Might No. 9

(I have every trophy for DNF including the DLC)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit, man. Wasn't the reason it's being delayed again the reason it even got pushed to Feb in the first place?

At this point they should seriously just release the game and have the MP part out later if it's holding it all back.

Famassu

The joke is that they said "lol no delays", and despite that, here we are. Most backers just want the game at this point. I'm sure many would settle on having the online patched in at this point.
Shit doesn't always go as planned, news at 11.

And considering this game has a ~simultaneous physical release as well, I doubt they want to release this game in parts, they'd probably rather have all of the features on the disc instead of patching stuff into the game later on.

Yukinari

We gotta polish the online, the TV show, the movie and merchandising before we can release the single player.

I mean thats what a good business man does right.

Yes, incredible. No game has ever been delayed twice before. And Inafune doesn't have a single critically or commercially well received game under his belt.

Three times.

And you're pretending like the delays are the only problems surrounding this project. Even as someone who has only occasionally followed the noise around this game, it's pretty clear that it's been... not good. Another delay so close to the finish line (which honestly, they had to know was coming for a while now), just adds a little more dirt to the mountain.

Jebusman

Banned
Shit doesn't always go as planned, news at 11.

And considering this game has a ~simultaneous physical release as well, I doubt they want to release this game in parts, they'd probably rather have all of the features on the disc instead of patching stuff into the game later on.

Yes, because "patching" the "online" portion of the game in would be a real issue.

The mode that needs you to be online in the first place.

And would likely need patches from Day 1 in the first place.

Top Bottom