• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 delayed to 'Spring 2016'

Do you care about online modes in this game? Did you back this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

vareon

Hilariously, the delay was because they were solving network and multi platform issues--those are stretch goals. I'm really worried when an offline game adds "online features" as stretch goal because they're an entirely different beast.

Dark_castle

Bba0LO8.gif

Spaghetti

It was a stretch goal. This delay could have been avoided if the kickstarter made less money.
And herein lies the problem with the "throw it in" mentality of stretch goals that MN9 suffered from. "Release on 5 platforms? Sure" "Online components? Why not?"

I guess Uncharted 4 will also be pure, total & utter shit & it's a total joke from the highly incompetent Naughty Dog with no good reason given for said delays since it's been delayed multiple times already as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Naughty Dog doesn't need to say shit when they never took peoples money or promised anything in the first place, not sure how you can even compare it to this.

duckroll

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Delayed AGAIN all for stupid fucking "networking" shit no one really cares about? Seriously, this has to be totally incompetent project management or BS used to cover a more serious problem they don't want to mention. "Sorry but the dog ate my homework!"

Yeah, what I meant was that if a developer with many games worth of experience is having so much trouble I can't see Hyde doing any better with Red Ash. But I'll be happy to be wrong because I still want to see how Red Ash ends up being (if it wasn't obvious by my Avatar pick :p).

Hyde is not a new developer...

Three times.

And you're pretending like the delays are the only problems surrounding this project. Even as someone who has only occasionally followed the noise around this game, it's pretty clear that it's been... not good. Another delay so close to the finish line (which honestly, they had to know was coming for a while now), just adds a little more dirt to the mountain.

I'm not pretending anything, just responding as to why MS has invested in his next game. Sony has also invested in another Armature title. The delay doesn't bother me, I've got plenty to be playing in the meantime and I look forward to this releasing as a more polished product down the line.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Game's might have day 1 patches but those usually just fix some bugs that have been found after the game went gold. Sony wouldn't release something like DriveClub completely without its online portion with a promise that it's coming some day.

GTA5 seemed to do ok.

Merc_

Well, it's either delay the game again or release it with a busted online mode. Both result in a ton of complaining from folks, so might as well bite the bullet and delay the game again.

Still, that must be some major bug for this to keep happening.

I want to see the alternate timeline where they simpy cut the online portion when problems became apparent and just released it on time

Pretty sure that would have been the better situation for everyone involved

Memory

Honestly, I can understand this issue.

They fucked themselves by putting it on every platform known to man.

That's not the issue or there would be staggered releases. The game is fully complete and runs smoothly from what I played. The issue is the network challenge and online "co-op" modes.

Perhaps this game serves as a good example for any Kickstarter project, that it's not wise to do a multiplatform release with a lot of content at once, as it requires a lot of work and debugging.

I believe Yacht Club Games made the right decision with Shovel Knight to deliver additional content over time, so they have a lot more breathing room.

If Comcept had taken the YCG approach, Mighty No. 9 would've been out by now and the Online Mode could've been brought later. All this negative press will eventually hurt MN9 sales and Inafune's reputation.

I guess Uncharted 4 will also be pure, total & utter shit & it's a total joke from the highly incompetent Naughty Dog with no good reason given for said delays since it's been delayed multiple times already as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't have to invest money in Uncharted 4 for it to exist so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously, if Inafune spent as much effort working on the game as you do defending it, No. 9 would be released by now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Kickstarter is the future.

Cool thing is, nobody here has already paid for Uncharted 4, while 67.226 people already paid 3.845.170 $.

That's an amazingly bad comparison.

And before you think it, the first and last ND game I played was a Jak game at a friend's house more than 12 years ago.

Its a shame that no matter how good (or bad) this game ends up being all these delays on such a big name project will hurt future Kickstarters and people's faith in them. Hopefully Shenmue 3 and Bloodstained don't have so many issues heading towards completion.

mclem

And herein lies the problem with the "throw it in" mentality of stretch goals that MN9 suffered from. "Release on 5 platforms? Sure" "Online components? Why not?"

Shovel Knight had the right idea, always establishing very early on that the base game was going to work to its own schedule and then any stretch content would be added on afterwards. From listening to 8-4 play, it sounds like they were a little overambitious with Plague of Shadows, imagine waiting for that to have been finished (plus King and Spectre!) before even seeing the game...

I wonder if the Wii U version is the problem...

I remember that other indie thread showing it took as long to make a Wii U version of a game than it did to make both the PS4 and XB1 versions of the same game, that or the dev is just incompetent.

Fucking Lol. I dont know a single person who still cares about this game, even friends who've backed it. Im not even sure if they can muster up anger over this anymore. Psa...dont give inafune your kickstarter money in the future, as he's officially proven go be shady and unreliable.

Uncharted 4 isn't releasing two fucking years after the original ETA, nor did it have multiple controversies during it's development nor it's a crowdfunded project people already paid for.
To be honest I'll be surprised if we ever hear about Red Ash again
Was there ever any doubt? The company "backing" that project screams "triad money laundry scheme".

The problems seem to stem from having problems with online features on so many completely different platforms. So when there are problems in the online code that affect all platforms, it takes time fixing those problems on all platforms since the fix is different on all (or most) of them. It's not like Inti Creates is the first ever quality developer to have had problems with online portions of their game. A lot of developers have had problems even when their game is only on a single platform, let alone when shit is on as many platforms as MN9 is.
I know that programming isn't easy and problems that looked small can end up being big, the problem is how they have handled them. Like some have already posted, they even said that there wasn't going to be anymore delays and yet once again they delay the game. Don't get me wrong, I still going to buy the game and I prefer to have a complete product instead of something needing patches but I can understand why people are pissed and they have the right to be.

I knew this was coming, zero effort to market the game and no final survey for platform picking, all of this with 2-3 weeks from release.

From dream to nightmare, good job Inafune and Inti Creates.

jacobeid

Banned
Holy shit, Inafune. I made the awful decision to back this game and it ruined Kickstarters for me.

The game has always looked terrible. Just release it or cancel it at this point. The demo for PC a few months ago was total C-tier level garbage too.

Wasn't the last delay for the online multiplayer component? What is it now? *eye roll*

Kusagari

That's not the issue or there would be staggered releases. The game is fully complete and runs smoothly from what I played. The issue is the network challenge and online "co-op" modes.

He says in the blog post part of the problem is the differences between the online networks.

Top Bottom