• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft console sales surpass PC sales; 54 million sold across all platforms

Notch is the new Pajitnov. But at least Pajitnov made some interesting puzzle games following Tetris. This new guy can't even get off his ass to make an Elite-like.
JS86t0p.gif

Flandy

I build ridiculous shit with no real purpose. My current build is an underground forest. This required me to flatten a mountain range, then dig all the way down to the 0 block. Then I planted a lovely forest one block above the adminium. Then I rebuilt the ground above it, including putting the mountain back in place.
woah. Haven't seen anyone call bedrock Adminum since early Beta. Get with the times gramps

goomba

Banned
3DS and WiiU left out in the minecraft cold.

especially sily as dual screens would work great for minecraft, touchscreen inventory ftw

DR2K

Banned
What is the big appeal with this game? I've watched my siblings play this game and I don't get it. Congrats on the sales.

jtenma

Banned
What is the big appeal with this game? I've watched my siblings play this game and I don't get it. Congrats on the sales.

The same thing non-gamers say about you while playing... anything.

"I dont get it..."

No one ever knows.
im messing

Solidsoul

Banned

Sit down and play it for a few hours (3 or more) and tell me you didn't have a blast.

Chances are you'll end up forgetting to get back to us and you'll still be playing 8 hours in.

I've bought four copies so far. One on PC for myself, two more on PC as gifts, and then again for myself on 360. I plan on buying it again for PS4.

So... Quintuple dip! ;p

Madness

Weren't the sales almost 20 million+ on Xbox 360 alone.

I saw Minecraft for Xbox 360, brand new for $9 clearance at a Staples. Wanted to pick it up to see the hype, but then decided I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Windows/mac/Linux is still a PC. Who cares what operating system person uses? It is still one box.

But lumping several boxes against one and claiming consoles sell better is amusing.

So what you are saying is that it's a fair comparison right? Because by your admission since OS doesn't matter, and we all know PC has a wide range of specs (much wider than consoles), consoles should also count as one box correct?

Are you going to continue down that road, or realize that it is stupid and focus on the fact that this game has sold over 54 million copies? Regardless of that it's a game I will never play, reminds me of that thread where someone asked "if a games art style has ever prevented you from playing it?". So while it's not for me, there are many who enjoy it, why can't that be good enough without turning the thread to a flame war?

SparkTR

Weren't the sales almost 20 million+ on Xbox 360 alone.

I saw Minecraft for Xbox 360, brand new for $9 clearance at a Staples. Wanted to pick it up to see the hype, but then decided I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

It was at 12m for the Xbox a couple of months ago, the Mobile version is at 20m.

Chobel

Is there mod that gives you something like campaign mode? Story, objectives, quests or something like that?

Piggus

I wouldn't necessarily say the lack of split-screen play makes the PC versions inferior.

You might be joking but I was talking about the mod-free, tiny console version where there's no room for exploration or large builds. Go out 15 miles into the wilderness to look for towns and ruins is part of what makes survival mode fun.

Just buy the PC version, people. It's a better game in just about every way.

IceMarker

I would play Minecraft again if they actually spent time optimizing the engine and got rid of Java. Even with more features and mods the Android version has better performance and stability than Minecraft has had in any one version.

Kudos to Mojang either way I suppose.

Hellshy.

Windows/mac/Linux is still a PC. Who cares what operating system person uses? It is still one box.

But lumping several boxes against one and claiming consoles sell better is amusing.

Kinda like lumping all pc builds together and saying the pc version of a game will look and perform better then on next gen.

And who cares anyway there are a shit ton less consoles out their that can run minecraft then pcs that can and it is pretty telling hoe important consoles still are in this industry.

Seriously though this game almost sells faster then crack.

Seriously? Good to know, now I might try it again. No "end game" is what made me dislike Minecraft.

It is still not straightforward and not told to you what to do. Basically as you get further into more complex crafting, you can stumble upon what to do to "progress through the story". Otherwise just follow a guide online

WillyFive

Seriously? Good to know, now I might try it again. No "end game" is what made me dislike Minecraft.

Minecraft is breeding an entire generations of gamers with the knowledge that an "endgame" is not necessary to make a game worth playing; and this makes me very excited. It speaks greatly about how we will be seeing games like No Man's Sky in the future.

Where the hell is Minecraft 2 already?

So so so much potential.

Notch started making something that was even more ambitious (0x10c), but gave up on it.

Kudos to Mojang.

By far the best value I've ever had in gaming. I did the math, and I've spent $.0004 an hour to play.

Where the hell is Minecraft 2 already?

So so so much potential.
Considering the content that's now in the game, this would be Minecraft 4 if made by EA or Activision.

Saganator

Just finished making houses with my 8 year old =] His house was way better looking than mine. I like how the game gets his creative juices flowing. He's starting to make traps and machines, too. I remember getting the game in very early alpha, I never thought it would make it this far.

Broank

And the crappy mobile version is the only non free to play app always in the top grossing lists. Crazy.

Is there mod that gives you something like campaign mode? Story, objectives, quests or something like that?

Yea shit loads of them. Adventure maps, mmo servers, pretty much anything you could think of.

Top Bottom