• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minnesota man who killed teens in break-in charged with murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaioshade

I am conflicted. On one hand, the guy definitely used significantly more force than what was necessary, but also, when the fuck will people learn to stop breaking into fucking homes?

Guns in America, ladies and gentlemen.

618_10151159394187877_1159172803_n.jpg

Yes. Guns are to blame.

smh.

Yeah, because those families missing their kids wouldn't be inconvenienced at all.

I saw no where where it said the teens were armed did I miss it? People in the thread keep talking about it.

He sounds incredibly mentally unstable. From non-reported break-ins to straight up murdering these kids for just being inside his home...Christ.

Non-reported? Huh. Might as well just make shit up then to excuse your actions.

Yes. Guns are to blame.

smh.

The fact that all kinds of people can own them including those with mental instability is fucked up.

Thaedolus

If someone broke into my home and was advancing toward me I would absolutely shoot them and shoot to kill. If they were lucky enough to still be alive after that, no fucking way would I execute them, I'd call the police and an ambulance immediately and hope they died before they got there so they couldn't sue me later.

That might sound brutish and violent (because it is) but I'm sorry, I'm not going to wait around and find out if someone's intention is to steal my shit or to rape my fiance when they've broken into my house. If they're already running away with a TV, fine run off. Stuff is stuff. But if you're coming at me or mine, you better be prepared to eat lead.

The solution to the above shitty scenario is to simply not break into someone's house.

Seriously?!

Also, it's not like he was about to bullet in her head even before she laughed, right?

In that exact same scenario, I'd probably kill her.

But realistically speaking, I wouldn't put myself in a scenario where I would shoot a person once, then one more time to finish them off. I would shoot them, keep them restrained until the cops get there, have them pick up that house robbing butthead, then get charged for restraining someone who broke into my house. Damn Canada.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Shouldn't have broken into the guys house. You come into someone elses house they should have the right to do ANYTHING they want to you. It's that simple. Could he have just shot them once and then called 911 yes, but its his house

scary post...

Jacob

If someone broke into my home and was advancing toward me I would absolutely shoot them and shoot to kill. If they were lucky enough to still be alive after that, no fucking way would I execute them, I'd call the police and an ambulance immediately and hope they died before they got there so they couldn't sue me later.

This is the difference between the guy in the story and even the most gung-ho advocate of the castle doctrine. It's also why I'm shocked that people are trying to defend or sympathize with the guy. His actions have nothing to do with self-defense or the reasonable use of force. It's straight-up murder by someone who clearly had a few screws loose.

lol @ everyone saying "lock him up".

What a great counter-argument you've provided. Thank you.

Yes. Guns are to blame.

smh.

Yes, let's applaud people for not acting irrationally for each day that they didn't act irrationally instead of simply considering that normal behavior.

I'm not anti-gun, but the gun laws in the US are fucked up. The fact that there's no psych evaluation needed to purchase something that only serves the purpose of killing is deplorable.

Alchemy

That might sound brutish and violent (because it is) but I'm sorry, I'm not going to wait around and find out if someone's intention is to steal my shit or to rape my fiance when they've broken into my house. If they're already running away with a TV, fine run off. Stuff is stuff. But if you're coming at me or mine, you better be prepared to eat lead.

The solution to the above shitty scenario is to simply not break into someone's house.

+1. You don't break into someone's home. You're putting people's families at risk when you break into their home. Someone has to already be fucked in the head to think it is acceptable to break into your home, you can't take any risks with that.

Now straight up executing someone is messed up. You only shoot to kill when they're potentially dangerous and still in your home.

Trey

Absolutely murder. He killed those kids knowing they were no immediate threat to him.

As an interesting aside, what's the protocol when someone breaks into another person's house, considering the victim doesn't have the option of a gun?

Absolutely murder. He killed those kids knowing they were no immediate threat to him.

As an interesting aside, what's the protocol when someone breaks into another person's house, considering the victim doesn't have the option of a gun?

I don't have one here. If I can somehow leave and get help there's that option. If I feel trapped, well they're getting a bottle to the head and or face. And if I'm not feeling that adventurous locking myself inside the bathroom and calling 911.

I'm kind of on both side on this he did kill them in cold blood but he did get tired of there shit.
On a second note shut up about how guns did this, if it wasn't a gun that killed them it would of been a knife, baseball bat or something worse and if they had guns and shot the home owner it would just be another daily news story he seen there hips then shot I would of to but after a single shot I would of called the cops.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm kind of on both side on this he did kill them in cold blood but he did get tired of there shit.
On a second note shut up about how guns did this, if it wasn't a gun that killed them it would of been a knife, baseball bat or something worse and if they had guns and shot the home owner it would just be another daily news story he seen there hips then shot I would of to but after a single shot I would of called the cops.

Would have.

I doubt a senior citizen would have been able to easily knife/bludgeon a pair of teens to death.

A bat to the face works pretty well, or so I'm told.

I am a gun owner who would shoot anyone who came into my house, and think comments about firing warning shots or shooting someone in the shoulder are pretty dumb.

This dude is still a psychotic sounding piece of shit that should be removed from society. The thought of having to kill someone to defened myself makes me sick to my stomach, I can't imagine being so fucked up that you laugh as you put a "mercy shot" into an 18 year olds skull. Fuck me...

Zoe

If this guy were a police officer he would get either a medal, or one month probation with pay.
So, based on how our criminal justice system works, I see no problem with what he did. It's exactly what a trained professional would have done.

Luckily juries have disagreed with you.

Yeah that homeowner ain't all there.
Can't say I feel bad for the kids. Break into peoples homes and you're bound to find someone crazier than you.

Darkman M

Dude obviously lost his mind, sad thing is if he had of head shot them both with one shot he wouldn't be in jail still the results would be the same.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Don't go robbing people's homes

You never know which kind of crazy you'll get

The courtroom is going to be a circus

"My kids didn't need to be murdered..."
"They were breaking and entering..."
"Didn't need to be killed!"
"Well know who you are robbing"
"Crazy is Crazy"

Hope it deters robberies by teens... what am I even saying lol

IrishNinja

psych evalvs for gun ownership sounds legit. there'd be some ruby ridge type shit going down when certain people don't pass though. also, this story is horrendous and people making excuses for the execution based on "lol stealing" aren't looking so good, assuming any are serious

Fuck thieves

like supporters of a progressive tax system amirite

Zoe

There seem to be more people in favor of the guy in this thread than the first time this was posted.

The thought of having to kill someone to defened myself makes me sick to my stomach, I can't imagine being so fucked up that you laugh as you put a "mercy shot" into an 18 year olds skull. Fuck me...

I read it as the girl (Kifer) laughed, not the shooter. (Smith)

She probably laughed out of shock, or maybe shes just hard as hell. edit* Oh didnt know she was a drug addict, couldve been that

I'm all for shooting someone in self-defense if they are on your property.
But after self-defense just call the cops. He didn't need to re-act the boondocks
saints execution.

BFIB

I'd give him the self defense route if he shot them on the way down the stairs, and then called police.

But, to take the time to drag them into another room, and not only kill one, but actually go get another gun to "out her out of her misery", is cold-blooded murder.

Koomaster

Was ready to defend the home-owner from the thread title, but reading the events of what happened - wow. That guy is fucked up. I am surprised he didn't just quietly bury the bodies off in the woods.

Can't really feel too sorry for the teens in this case tho. You break into someone's house you accept the responsibility that you're going to get hurt or shot to death. This guy did straight up execute them though based on his own admission, so I don't feel bad if he gets sent to prison for this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
First shot on each was fine. Totally self defense.

The rest... yeah, lock him up.

Stupid druggie kids, who break into other people's houses and steal shit. Scum. But they're kids and it's tragic they were executed, never have a second chance to learn from their mistakes and grow into adults.

Old psycho, who went way beyond what was necessary and executed a couple kids. Scum. But he was also victim to multiple break-ins up to this point and probably snapped. How would you deal with strangers constantly coming into your house and taking your property? Medication you may need to live? Now the retired guy must spend probably the rest of his life in jail because people kept committing crimes against him.

I don't know whether this is justice or tragedy for either party.

But yeah, let's all go blame it on guns. Because clearly this wouldn't have happened with a knife or a bat or a shovel or a brick.

But yeah, let's all go blame it on guns. Because clearly this wouldn't have happened with a knife or a bat or a shovel or a brick.

It wouldn't have. All those objects are easily avoidable and can easily be turned on the person wielding it or give them an easy chance to run away. If you think some old dude is going to physically outperform a young kid with a knife or any other object you're stupid.

Shouldn't have broken into the guys house. You come into someone elses house they should have the right to do ANYTHING they want to you. It's that simple. Could he have just shot them once and then called 911 yes, but its his house

This line of thinking is idiotic.

You obviously don't understand that it takes a closeness and intimacy to kill someone with a knife (especially) or bat that simply pulling a trigger doesn't require.

Jarnet87

They had a death wish, and this old bastard was more then willing to make it happen. Good on ya. Yeah its a bit over the top and wrong................

should have got them with one shot to the skull to begin with. Would gladly find him innocent of all charges and shake his hand for getting rid of two pieces of scum.

Hmm, I guess its not for sure

"Other kids rumored that drugs might have been involved, a subject authorities declined to get into, saying the case is ongoing."

from a dailymail article

"She added that her cousin, who had undergone treatment for substance abuse, could have been after pills from the home."

"Byron Smith said that he suspected that the two had been responsible for at least some of those past robberies."

Kinyou

In that exact same scenario, I'd probably kill her.

But realistically speaking, I wouldn't put myself in a scenario where I would shoot a person once, then one more time to finish them off. I would shoot them, keep them restrained until the cops get there, have them pick up that house robbing butthead, then get charged for restraining someone who broke into my house. Damn Canada.
I still don't get it. Kill her because she laughed that the gun jammed?

Also it's simply not what happened, it wasn't the laugh/chuckle that drove him over the edge and made him wanting to kill her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom