• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minnesota man who killed teens in break-in charged with murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After multiple break in's to his home...let's have people constantly coming into your house and see how you react.

That doesn't make it ok. There is a line separating defending yourself and what this guy did, which is murder.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm usually on team self defense, but when you tell the detectives "I gave her a good clean finishing shot".... you're crazy.

keeth

Neo Member
I don't know, I doubt she found her situation humorous, but I can see someone letting out a stressed/nervous/momentarily relieved chuckle when (1) you're pretty sure you're going to die and then (2) the gun runs out of ammo.

Don't we only have the shooter's word for it, as well? That she laughed? Everything else he's quoted as saying to the investigators is so awful that I wouldn't take him to be an impartial observer.

Dali

I'm not gonna say anything on them getting plugged the first time around. They're addicts and probably weren't in their right mind but that's none of this guys concern. Can't "finish the job" though. That's just wrong.

Wow, what an absolutely sick fuck. He obviously went overboard and should be jailed for life BUT I can't help but wonder what the coverage and broad (not necessarily GAF) reactions would be if the intruders had been, say, two adult black men.

TheNatural

My Member!
Guy deserves to go to jail, but in the same token, I'm not feeling too sorry for the kids who died either. Hopefully this story is read by any would be burglars on what could happen if you try to fuck with someone's property.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That doesn't make it ok. There is a line separating defending yourself and what this guy did, which is murder.

Its not about it being okay. Its about this guy going crazy while defending his home.

He's still going to jail, but I'm not about to make him out to be a boogieman or something for snapping and trying to piece together the fucked up shit he did by himself.

I'd like to know the life story of the two cousins...about to get shot with a rifle and laughs....thats gangsta.

Not to take away from what happened, sad

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
How do you handle failures upon re-evaluation?

How else than the obvious? Lots of places in the world with gun ownership predicated on regular psych evals.

We're talking in this thread about not feeling bad about the consequences of criminals breaking and entering, how about not feeling bad about mentally unstable people losing access to their firearms, so that I don't need to read something like this quite so often:

Kifer too started down the stairs and was shot by Smith by the time he saw her hips, sending her tumbling down the stairs.

Smith attempted to shoot her again, but his rifle jammed, prompting Kifer to laugh.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.

commedieu

Banned
A message from local news stories as well. You'd think that with all the fear mongering that comes from people that break into a house people would actually stop doing it. Guess the same could be said for any crime.

as with all of these stories with gun owners killing people as their property = a deathtrap for anyone else...

Gun owners(in these stories) are Cowboys. "I wanted him dead." isn't defending your house, its you wanting to kill another person, and drooling at the idea of doing it. We even had a gaf member rushing to a crime scene armed, JUST IN CASE, the police.. aren't there... doing their jobs.. just in case of what you ask? The glory of saving a loved one with your hand cannon. Saving i.e, shooting someone in the face and being deemed a hero for doing so. This is always the fact of the matter, that you need to murder anyone in your house. At least the other idiot shot the kid first, THEN zip tied him to keep him for the police. At least the person is alive to learn from their mistakes, the same mistakes people are trying to pin on this guy in the form of mental health. The man may be mentally ill, now. But he executed the people, and deserves no doubt as his actions were direct and disgusting. And yet again, its not self defense.

Don't take away these morons guns, just make sure that everyone in the country can have guns to keep these morons at bay. They all think it makes them tough, and their ego gets into it, in these stories. If everyone was carrying, people would tread a bit lighter. - - Thats my solution if gun laws are impossible, and they are.

That way people can pretend to be heroes just walking down the street, stopping crimes from happening, as there is never adequate police to deal with their job, in these stories, it seems.

Damn, that is fucked up. Usually I am sympathetic to the people who are in his situation. Shooting at them to protect yourself is one thing, but executing them in that manner is barbaric and I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.

Metalmarc

Thats what happens when you mix penioners with weapons and drugged up teens, isnt there like a drug that makes you not able to feel pain?
Like morphine or whatevs and they think theyre invincible or was that heroin? (sheltered childhood) maybe thet were on that & they just kept going after one shot so he had to put the zombiefied (drugged) teens down

Its very sad that this shouldntve happened past the warning shots/kneecapping at worst

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
How else than the obvious? Lots of places in the world with gun ownership predicated on regular psych evals.

We're talking in this thread about not feeling bad about the consequences of criminals breaking and entering, how about not feeling bad about mentally unstable people losing access to their firearms, so that I don't need to read something like this quite so often:

Oh - I don't disagree at all, I was just wondering what happens after it is determined that one is no longer mentally fit to own firearms. Do they go and confiscate them, or does the person give them up willingly? How do they know if they got them all?

I'm guessing it works in other places because of gun registration, but how would it work in the States? From what I've seen, some people would lose their minds and say the government is trying to take our guns!!!

I guess it doesn't really matter, something has got to change and some form of gun ownership control would be a good start.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Thats what happens when you mix penioners with weapons and drugged up teens, isnt there like a drug that makes you not able to feel pain?
Like morphine or whatevs and they think theyre invincible or was that heroin? (sheltered childhood) maybe thet were on that & they just kept going after one shot so he had to put the zombiefied (drugged) teens down

Its very sad that this shouldntve happened past the warning shots/kneecapping at worst

Whenever you see "substance abuse" in an article about small town minnesota you can safely assume it's meth. That shit is rampant in all those shitty small towns. Even my parents got ripped off by meth heads and they live much closer to Minneapolis.

Still, this is fucked up. My sister used to live close to where this happened. Murder charge sounds about right, throw the book at this kook.

They broke into his home, but this still made me angry. Kifer for example was still a petty little stealing pos, but didn't deserve to die like that.

Draft

It's really sad that a couple kids died. Even if they were scum, they were still kids. Barely formed people. 17 is nothing. There's so many opportunities for a person to grow and change as they get older. These two might have ended up degenerate trash, but they might not have; we'll never know because they tried to rob a violent psychopath. This old man is a nut. Human beings don't get put out of their misery like a deer on the side of the road.

A couple of kids ripping off TVs don't scare me. A violent kook that shoots people execution style does. Jail's ostensible purpose is to rehabilitate criminals and keep them from harming society. There will be no rehabilitation for those two dead children, but at least we can keep society safe from a deadly lunatic.

btrboyev

Based on the guys actions and words, I don't even know if I buy the kids breaking into the house bit at all. Is there any evidence of a break in? The sounds like a cold blooded killer and is using the break-in as a defense.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Based on the guys actions and words, I don't even know if I buy the kids breaking into the house bit at all. Is there any evidence of a break in? The sounds like a cold blooded killer and is using the break-in as a defense.

I'm inclined to believe his story given how bad the death of second robber sounds. Shooting her, missing the second show, and then, seeing that she isn't a threat, goes to get another gun to kill her, that's murder.

Kinyou

Smith attempted to shoot her again, but his rifle jammed, prompting Kifer to laugh.

Upset, Smith, pulled out a revolver he had on him and shot her "more times than I needed to" in the chest, he said.

Smith dragged Kifer next to Brady as she gasped for her life. He pressed the revolver's barrel under her chin and pulled the trigger in what he described as a "good, clean finishing shot" that was meant to end her suffering.
What in the fuck....

Hope that guy gets jail for life

Sheriff Michel Wetzel told reporters Monday afternoon that Smith explained to authorities that he didn't call immediately after killing the two because "it was Thanksgiving. He didn't want to trouble us on a holiday."

Yeah, because those families missing their kids wouldn't be inconvenienced at all.

I saw no where where it said the teens were armed did I miss it? People in the thread keep talking about it.

He sounds incredibly mentally unstable. From non-reported break-ins to straight up murdering these kids for just being inside his home...Christ.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Its not about it being okay. Its about this guy going crazy while defending his home.

He's still going to jail, but I'm not about to make him out to be a boogieman or something for snapping and trying to piece together the fucked up shit he did by himself.

The guy waited until the following morning to call the cops. I'd be with you if he called the cops immediately, but he didn't. What kind of crazy ass dude waits hours to call the cops with a pair of bodies in his house?

A.E Suggs

I saw that too

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Don't worry after we get a handle on gun control in about 30 years i'm sure by then guns will be a think of the past compared to new age weaponry like pocket knives.

Guns don't kill people, they end their suffering.

One shot to the head you know he dead.

Joking aside this is terrible news but this probably more an issue with the shooter than the guns themselves.

Avtomat

The guy waited until the following morning to call the cops. I'd be with you if he called the cops immediately, but he didn't. What kind of crazy ass dude waits hours to call the cops with a pair of bodies in his house?

Well the bodies aint going no where.

He should have called the cops.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I would post a sign infront of my home that states, if you break into my home, I will lock you in my basement.... I have leather, whips, chains and handcuffs. Come at me bro!

Some people might break into your home just because of that sign.

If this guy were a police officer he would get either a medal, or one month probation with pay.
So, based on how our criminal justice system works, I see no problem with what he did. It's exactly what a trained professional would have done.

Zee-Row

Banned
Usually when people break into a house its not their intention to kill anyone , just take things and leave. Is it worth your materialistic possessions like your TV or Blu-Ray player to take someones life? People can reform , things can be replaced.

Sounds like a fucking mess, all three of them. None of them sound like fantastic people but fuck, that certainly ended poorly. He should spend the rest of his life in jail after his reaction after incapacitating them. They were done at that point, no need to keep shooting, someone in that kind of mindset should not have access to firearms.

I bet the parents feel terrible, was a little shocked to read that the girl was a recovering drug addict at that age.

He was wrong in killing them. There's no justifying it. However, I can't say that I would blame him. Especially that Kifer girl. If she laughed at me in that scenario, I'd probably lose my cool, too.

jaxword

He was wrong in killing them. There's no justifying it. However, I can't say that I would blame him. Especially that Kifer girl. If she laughed at me in that scenario, I'd probably lose my cool, too.

Probably not a good idea to put life and death in the hands of people that potentially lose their cool.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You answered your own question.

DukeBobby

If this guy were a police officer he would get either a medal, or one month probation with pay.
So, based on how our criminal justice system works, I see no problem with what he did. It's exactly what a trained professional would have done.

I've never heard a police officer use the phrases 'I shot her more times than I needed to' or 'It was a good, clean finishing shot'.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Don't we only have the shooter's word for it, as well? That she laughed? Everything else he's quoted as saying to the investigators is so awful that I wouldn't take him to be an impartial observer.
The fact that he was so honest with the investigators about everything else he did is actually what makes his story more credible to me. It's not like the fact that she laughed mitigates or excuses in any way his actions, so why make up that detail? Like I said, I can see a nervous laughter of relief when she realized his gun was out of ammo. I'm not saying that what he said is actually true, but I do find it plausible.

LQX

Any word on if donation fund as been set up for this guy? These types usually get hundreds of thousands in donations.

The one thing I don't understand is: guy and girl break into a house. Girl (I presume) hears one gun shot, and a moment later, hears second gun shot. Which normally would be a clue to GTFO. Instead she heads down into a deathtrap.

Something in this story doesn't add up....I don't think it went down quite the way the shooter describes it.

Kinyou

Seriously?!

Also, it's not like he was about to bullet in her head even before she laughed, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom