• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

Performance is slowly getting worse (PS4).

Also, these characters and voice acting is so bad. But it's so fun, so it's worth it.
There was a memory leak in the beta so if you notice performance continuing to degrade, try rebooting your console
played it yesterday with reshade lumen sharpen @1080p hyper mode. Sharp enough for me using in game AA. Biggest problem is the texture streaming issue, some texture just won't load even after I let it sit there for awhile. Lowering the setting doesn't change anything. Reshade lumen sharpen solves almost all the TAA softness, Fallout 4, and even SFV can look almost as sharp as PS4 version while jaggy free, more ppl should look into using reshade/sweetfx.
Interesting, I'll take a look.

scitek

Using the Hola extension in Chrome, you can get the game for $40 on Origin by changing your region to Mexico.

Ennosuke

Same. I put a few more hours in and I'm having a great time.

Same here and this is why I hate it that there is so much negativity around this. People are spreading things which are not true.

Who really did enjoy the first game, will enjoy this one as well. It seems like that at one point it became cool to say "Oh Mirror's Edge such an amazing game, but no one appreciated it back then". And now where we have at least the same quality with similar weaknesses all those people are talking non-sense about it.

The unfortunate thing is that the ending
leaves pretty much every plot thread dangling with no resolution and there will never be a sequel to finish it.
In any event, still loved the game and am still so happy I got my Mirror's Edge sequel.

Flandy

played it yesterday with reshade lumen sharpen @1080p hyper mode. Sharp enough for me using in game AA. Biggest problem is the texture streaming issue, some texture just won't load even after I let it sit there for awhile. Lowering the setting doesn't change anything. Reshade lumen sharpen solves almost all the TAA softness, Fallout 4, and even SFV can look almost as sharp as PS4 version while jaggy free, more ppl should look into using reshade/sweetfx.

Could you link the reshade preset?

Dominator

The unfortunate thing is that the ending
leaves pretty much every plot thread dangling with no resolution and there will never be a sequel to finish it.
In any event, still loved the game and am still so happy I got my Mirror's Edge sequel.
Could be comics/books.
Not ideal but would be better than nothing.

I had the game before launch and all my unlocked shit from the story is missing from the website, like emblems and junk. Gotta see about fixing that.

As I've posted in the other threads about it, this game is right up my alley and I'm loving my time with it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Loving the fuck out of this so far. With one caveat. It's....quite ugly on PS4. But otherwise this is the sequel I wanted for the past 8 years. I feel like Rama in The Raid during combat T_T.

Warriorr

Neo Member
The graphics on PS4 improved since the beta, that's cool. I'm having a lot of fun with the game but it's missing the charm of the original so far. Oh and it's quite heartbreaking to play it knowing your are probably living Faith's last breath of air. I feel like critics have been too severe. We'll miss you girl.

Anyone getting some seizure inducing strobing effect near the start?
Friends running an SLI setup and got the strobing effect got even worse when she up the settings. Could it be a bug or is this intended?

SLI bug.

Have her try the new nvidia driver that came out today. Apparently it doesn't strobe anymore, though people are still saying the performance isn't good w/ SLI at the moment.

Worst case, she can go into the program settings in the NV control panel and set the game to "Single-GPU"

Whompa02

Urgh! Still need to complete Doom, Uncharted 4 and the last section of Hyper Light Drifter before I dive into this...the urge to go grab it now is super tempting...maybe next week.

Really want to play this game since its debut trailer. Always loved the aesthetic and design work put into it. The previous game's art direction was top class.

Cutscenes go on without a hitch, the problem is everything else is a bit rough.

The image quality is abhorrent. I mean it when I say that there were times I couldn't tell what I was about to run into because everything ahead was a big blur. I had actually ran straight into glass thinking it was a clear path. The anti-aliasing on display is either completely non-functional or doesn't exist at all, everything is completely jagged and there's an awful amount of shimmering going on. There's also a terrible amount of LOD pop-in and entire objects or buildings that pop in right in front of your eyes.

Performance wise, every few seconds the game saves or generates new geometry ahead of you and it causes a hitch that gets really jarring when you're running at full speed, maintaining momentum. It feels like a constant stutter.

If you have any way to play this on PS4 or PC, go for it. The Xbox version is rough and easily the worst way to play the game. It's playable, but there's no way I can say I recommend that version if other choices are available.
The reason this makes no sense to me, is because the original looked stunning on 360. What happened, DICE? 60fps?

Flandy

SLI bug.

Have her try the new nvidia driver that came out today. Apparently it doesn't strobe anymore, though people are still saying the performance isn't good w/ SLI at the moment.

Worst case, she can go into the program settings in the NV control panel and set the game to "Single-GPU"

Thanks, she updated the driver, and that fixed it. Performance is still spotty. Ultra settings are 60fps locked at 4k. Hyper settings is 45 to 50 and back to 60 (its all over the map).

Oozer3993

I left work a little early just to play this. I've been waiting 7 years for this, I deserve to take off before 5, right? Got home and... it hasn't been delivered yet. I h8 u UPS.

Loving the fuck out of this so far. With one caveat. It's....quite ugly on PS4. But otherwise this is the sequel I wanted for the past 8 years. I feel like Rama in The Raid during combat T_T.

It has spotty texture quality but it just doesn't bother me. Looks nice even in spots.

Is EA cool with that because Steam and VPN shopping is a huge don't fucking do it apparently.

I did it with Titanfall, and BF 4, and I have still my account.
You have to buy it via your web browser, and not in the actual software, and you are good.
EA isn't that strict like Valve is.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh, I'm so excited to finally get to play this. The original was probably my favorite game of the last generation and I really dug the closed beta. Preloaded... but gotta download the day 1 patch and new driver first. :X

Any PC players, feel free to add me on Origin: ExMachina13

The social stuff is actually pretty neat and it's always more fun to race friends. :>

Really enjoying no-HUD open world delivery missions so far, though you'll definitely have to have patience for retries. It feels so damn right to have to think on your toes, madly scrambling for a quicker route, coming up short as time is ticking down, looking at your destination and wondering just how the hell you're supposed to get there in time. And then you find another way to go, riskier, but quicker, and make it with maybe a second to spare.

Those are the moments I had hoped for in a ME sequel.

Gitaroo

Could you link the reshade preset?

I use my own, normally, SMAA + lumen sharpen are always on by default so basically sharpness + extra AA on top for all games tso every game still presented very close to the way the artist intended. Only some games where the art style or engine gain more with vibrancy, bloom, lens dirt and curve turn on like Id tech 5 games to make things look more dynamic since everything is baked in and looks texture bleached out. Basically lumen sharpen alone should give every game a boost in sharpness and should be always on by default, even for 2D games like Ori. For Mirror's Edge, I just turn vibrancy + lumen sharpen + SMAA.

papo

The controls are as good as Mirror's Edge 1. They feel slightly more floaty but they actually perfectly blend with Faith's body and movements, so it feels good. Very, very well designed. Check out her shadow or reflection whenever you're running - looks perfect and 1:1 with your actions.

There are a couple of new moves that are really well implemented. The rope-swing gadget (maglev) is awesome, but not very well signposted so sometimes you fall to your death because the game doesn't let you punch into a hook-point.

Falling to your death is still horrifying.

The upgrade system is a non-issue. Definitely nothing metroidvania-ey here (well, one thing, but it takes very little time to get the key unlocks).

The level design on missions is very nice, but there aren't many of them.

The open world level design for traversal/exploration is OK, I'm finding it a bit fiddly/unintuitive - but then again I'm playing with all the 'runner vision' off, so it's easy to get lost (no red markings as your waypoint).

The open world level design for races/time trials is fucking amazing and has surpassed Mirror's Edge 1 for me. There is a thick abundance of deliveries, special challenges, and time trials with fast leaderboards - as well as an infinite amount of player-made trials so you can keep finding new content. You can go for hours doing this stuff.

Combat is fucking great once you learn to use jumps/leaps/slides to do special heavy-hits on enemies, and you learn to manage the crowds. If you try to play it just walking up to enemies and punching/kicking, you'll find it dull, janky, and probably unfun. The AI is a bit wobbly sometimes and can get stuck standing still doing nothing. When it works it works brilliantly.

Story is by the numbers, pretty dull. I like Faith's VA, though.

Thank you for this response.

I am now buying it once I get home.

Enforcer

That sucks. I'm in the same boat but I'm holding out. Considering they were selling these without a game for so long makes me upset.

Yeah, I'm really not thrilled with this situation as I'm also in this situation. I was really looking forward to this CE, too. It looks like Gamestop still has some copies of the CE, but there's two problems with that. First, I'd have to give Gamestop business, which I don't really like doing and second, I don't get the $40 off I got as a Prime member on Amazon, which really changes the value proposition of this CE for me. I guess I can sit here and hope Amazon comes through, but I have my doubts.

iFirez

I played for a couple of hours tonight (via the Origin Access trial) - game looks insanely good running at 100fps G-Sync 21:9, it seems to fully support this too. Also, please, everyone, turn of motion blur - it feels much more fluid without it and the awesome derails aren't hidden by a hideous blur.

KqhO5PL.jpg

Looking forward to exploring more, I hope there's some balls to the wall architectural diversity at some point but i have a feeling there won't be. I do really like the sleek modern look of everything and the way the interiors contrast to that at times and look like building sites (especially early game), I feel like the game could surprise me though.

jdstorm

Banned
1) Only if there's not going to be a sequel
2) Eurogamer already used it

I would have gone with Keep the Faith myself.

I'd go with The Faith Awakens.

Pretty sequel that copy's the story beats of a superior creative work. But that's just because apparently I'm still salty

conman

The controls are as good as Mirror's Edge 1. They feel slightly more floaty but they actually perfectly blend with Faith's body and movements, so it feels good. Very, very well designed. Check out her shadow or reflection whenever you're running - looks perfect and 1:1 with your actions.

There are a couple of new moves that are really well implemented. The rope-swing gadget (maglev) is awesome, but not very well signposted so sometimes you fall to your death because the game doesn't let you punch into a hook-point.

Falling to your death is still horrifying.

The upgrade system is a non-issue. Definitely nothing metroidvania-ey here (well, one thing, but it takes very little time to get the key unlocks).

The level design on missions is very nice, but there aren't many of them.

The open world level design for traversal/exploration is OK, I'm finding it a bit fiddly/unintuitive - but then again I'm playing with all the 'runner vision' off, so it's easy to get lost (no red markings as your waypoint).

The open world level design for races/time trials is fucking amazing and has surpassed Mirror's Edge 1 for me. There is a thick abundance of deliveries, special challenges, and time trials with fast leaderboards - as well as an infinite amount of player-made trials so you can keep finding new content. You can go for hours doing this stuff.

Combat is fucking great once you learn to use jumps/leaps/slides to do special heavy-hits on enemies, and you learn to manage the crowds. If you try to play it just walking up to enemies and punching/kicking, you'll find it dull, janky, and probably unfun. The AI is a bit wobbly sometimes and can get stuck standing still doing nothing. When it works it works brilliantly.

Story is by the numbers, pretty dull. I like Faith's VA, though.
Great. Was looking for a good response from someone who understood the first game. Really encouraging to hear. Traveling at the moment, but this will be in my play list very soon.

Ennosuke

Still a little bit mad about this cutscene PC issue. I thought they would have fixed it by now.
In general the 1080p with my 390 seems not to be very good.

Besides this it feels so akward playing this game, after 8 years of waiting for this game. Probably also a reason why it took me some time to get those old Mirror's Edge vibes back and finally being totally excited.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh this is some bullshit. Ordered form GMG and not gonna get it cause UK release is days later and they are giving a UK key.

ST2K

Just picked up the game and played about an hour or two of it.

What's the point of Coil? It doesn't seem to pick up your momentum that much...

Still a little bit mad about this cutscene PC issue. I thought they would have fixed it by now.
In general the 1080p with my 390 seems not to be very good.

Besides this it feels so akward playing this game, after 8 years of waiting for this game. Probably also a reason why it took me some time to get those old Mirror's Edge vibes back and finally being totally excited.
That's so strange... Cutscenes are perfect on my end, PC as well although NVIDIA. Can anyone else having the issue say if they're using AMD or NVIDIA?

It's faster going over small obstacles than just pressing LB with the vault animation. It's not supposed to pick up momentum, it's supposed to keep it up :p
Oh this is some bullshit. Ordered form GMG and not gonna get it cause UK release is days later and they are giving a UK key.
Yeah, it's stupid. They're a UK retailer but they have a global market, dunno why they didn't see this coming.
Soooooooon! I was starting to worry they wouldn't even ship the PC copy I ordered, literally early this morning it was marked as shipped!

Excited to jump back in!
Hope it arrives for you soon!

Actually... How much did you pay? I think if GMG haven't released the key yet they let you cancel your preorder. Could then just pick it up via Origin as someone else mentioned above :p

Blizzard

Banned

Coil jumping preserves momentum but I don't know that it builds it much. They MIGHT have fixed an exploit where sprinting in a straight line and constantly coil-jumping was faster than plain sprinting. I still don't know though.

*edit* About cutscenes: They definitely screw up on Windows 7 64-bit, GTX 770 2GB, driver 368.22, vsync off. The hard drive light doesn't seem to get pegged, and framerate doesn't seem to drop, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Finished Blood and Wine just in time for this. Can't wait to play it. Honestly, I'd be surprised if we get to play another Mirror's Edge again unfortunately.

Coil jumping preserves momentum but I don't know that it builds it much. They MIGHT have fixed an exploit where sprinting in a straight line and constantly coil-jumping was faster than plain sprinting. I still don't know though.

*edit* About cutscenes: They definitely screw up on Windows 7 64-bit, GTX 770 2GB, driver 368.22, vsync off. The hard drive light doesn't seem to get pegged, and framerate doesn't seem to drop, so I'm not sure what's causing it.
That's so odd. Hope DICE fix it ASAP.

SomTervo

Ok, runner vision classic or off? Off seems more rewarding, but super difficult.

Also, do I have to hold R2 anytime I run? I can't tell if there's a speed difference other than the initial takeoff.

I played with Off for the first few hours but it starts getting really hard/annoying in the later areas which are a bit more obtuse. I turned on Classic and it's actually fine. Usually you can spot better routes on the fly anyway.

R2 is just a brief boost to get you up to normal running speed. You can also do it in any direction to dodge.

Thank you for this response.

I am now buying it once I get home.

Great. Was looking for a good response from someone who understood the first game. Really encouraging to hear. Traveling at the moment, but this will be in my play list very soon.

NP, hope you both enjoy it as much as I have and I'm not leading you into the woods.

Blizzard

Banned
That's so odd. Hope DICE fix it ASAP.
To be clear, by "screw up" I mean they get jerky sometimes, and audio/video sync goes out sometimes. It seemed to be as much as 1-2 seconds, and other times was almost fine.

Question for anyone who's used mirrorsedge.com: Are you seeing the backgrounds you unlock? I've gotten several ingame, but the website only shows me the original 4 plus 2 exclusives. Everything else is locked. It worked in the beta. *edit* Looks like an issue other people are having, according to the forum.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For those looking to see a proper representation of what the game looks like on Xbox One, here's a shot I took of it.

As you can see, shit is rough.

Yeah, that's PC with auto and GPU RAM limitations as well. I guess my 760 doesn't cut it. It still looks good, outside of the textures being blurry like that because of RAM limitations.

Anyway, doing the main missions I got the Magrope shortly after the closed-beta ending area. So that's nice, though I kinda wish they had that in the beta earlier. I thought I'd get more use out of it but it's really not a "spider-man" gadget but more a "cross this specific area" thing.

Any PC players miss out on the preorder bonus?

No. If you pre-ordered, it should have the two in your Origin Game Information page, if they're "installed" you should find them in Merc--er--"Noah"'s lair where you sleep and get your outfit.

Glix

Finished up to a little past Where the title comes up.

I like it a lot. Combat seems a little more momentum oriented than the first if i remember correctly.

Game isnt as pretty as i had hoped though

sono

I am sooo very happy to see this thread. I adored the first game and wanted the sequel from the moment I completed that on PS3 back in 2008 Nearly 8 years.. good grief.

Day 1

Op needs some in game screenshots

I actually kind of like the combat tbh. Once you get a flow going it's pretty fun, especially with some of the upgrade moves. Idk. It's no Batman but it's more than okay.

Top Bottom