• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst |OT| Keeping the Faith Alive

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
It seems I can't get better results than top 15% on Caleb's Run. Do you have any advices/routes/whatever? Thanks.

I had a hard time cracking into the top percent on that Dash as well till Sax Russel shared their route with me:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207715187&postcount=1003

And here's my 28.48 run - uses a slightly faster way to get down the first room but less consistent than Sax's method:

https://youtu.be/6m0a8XpIzok

Key thing is practice getting the right angle to trigger the Magrope so when you jump off you can run straight to the end... Because there's nothing worse than having a good run and flubbing that part, lol.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
That's great, thanks!
I still don't know how you manage to do the first jump in Archways... :(

Start with Faith's left foot only on this black area on the ground:

2016-07-0212-14-46.mppzsdc.jpg

Aim at the top of the orange thing here:

And then you should be at the perfect angle to run forward, vault, wallrun, and do a quick climb onto the beam. Key is to hit the wall at the apex of your jump, take 2 steps on the wallrun, and then jump.

Oozer3993

Got the platinum trophy yesterday. Still planning to go back in and do some Diversion and Delivery missions. I just absolutely adore the movement in this game.

I don't know if I've posted since I did so, but I beat the game. I should have done more runs, but I wasn't very good at their tight deadlines. The game demands a bit too much perfection there.

Overall, though, it was pretty good. Nothing special, but solid and a nice change of pace. I enjoyed it more than expected, being that the first game bored me after a while. This one got like that a bit.

It's already dropped in price. I assume it didn't sell very well.

I noticed that. I think it's $49.99 here instead of $79.99. Or something like that.

It probably didn't sell a ton.

Wis

Neo Member
It seems I can't send private messages...
Thanks for the advices, ExMachina! I managed to nail the last part and beat your time on Archways. Your first part is as perfect as it can get, though.
And many thanks to those who ran my TTs or tried to find my signals (I've tried to hide them away in a somewhat challenging way).
Feel free to post some good TT, I'll be glad to try it.

I'm still missing a couple of electronic parts, I'll probably never reach 100%. Oh, well, I'll keep trying as long as I'm having fun with the game.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Been stuck in backlog land, plus I've just been non-stop busy the past two months so despite all of my hype for ME Catalyst, I really haven't kept up at all from since before the launch.

One question that I have, which you can put the answer in spoilers for those who don't want to know: they put up a 3D map of thee city sometime before launch, and it was gigantic. Most of it was unmarked city space, and in the center of all that huge city space were the three main areas of the game. No one was sure if we could explore all of that vast empty city space according to what the 3D map let us see back then, is it confirmed that you can or can't go all the way out there now?

Thanks in advance!

And although I haven't been keeping up, I feel that the Ultimate Games Sale on Xbox including it might have meant that it didn't sell well, but I hope at least it will reach the point to let them do a sequel.

Blizzard

Banned
Been stuck in backlog land, plus I've just been non-stop busy the past two months so despite all of my hype for ME Catalyst, I really haven't kept up at all from since before the launch.

One question that I have, which you can put the answer in spoilers for those who don't want to know: they put up a 3D map of thee city sometime before launch, and it was gigantic. Most of it was unmarked city space, and in the center of all that huge city space were the three main areas of the game. No one was sure if we could explore all of that vast empty city space according to what the 3D map let us see back then, is it confirmed that you can or can't go all the way out there now?

Thanks in advance!

And although I haven't been keeping up, I feel that the Ultimate Games Sale on Xbox including it might have meant that it didn't sell well, but I hope at least it will reach the point to let them do a sequel.
You can't go all the way out, but you can cover enough of the map to fill a 1680x1050 monitor if I recall correctly.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
You can't go all the way out, but you can cover enough of the map to fill a 1680x1050 monitor if I recall correctly.

Okay, that is reassuring - thanks for the info!

Man, hope I can get to free up the time to finally pick it up and play after all these years of wishing for a sequel.

Wis

Neo Member
So, that's it? No more love for this game?
I'm still playing just for the sake of running, jumping and exploring.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So, that's it? No more love for this game?
I'm still playing just for the sake of running, jumping and exploring.

I was waiting on my 1080 to get here so I can play it all nice looking. (Mostly to make sure my 760 doesn't turn my room into a sauna really.) It gets here on Tuesday so looking forward to finally jumping in!

Very well argued, as all Mark Brown videos are. It's a shame that Catalyst wasn't what I imagined an open world Mirror's Edge could've been with more focus on just going with side-quests and objectives obtained on the fly like Burnout Paradise rather than all these stop starts with picking up collectibles like the chips or the mission givers being in one spot. I imagined doing races with other runners. I imagined more main missions to take the open world into effect, to basically make the case for why this needed to be open world. After all these years, this is not quite what the developers or players would have wanted.

It just brings up a general question and frustration: Why do so few open world games fully utilise the actual open world? Why do so many of them have linear cinematic missions that are not affected by the open world's systems? It's hard to account for dynamic systems sure, but that's worth the effort into making a game open world. It's like no developers ever played immersive sims like STALKER.

Dartastic

Is anyone else suffering from pretty extreme screen tearing on PC?

I'm running with a i7 4790k, 16 gigs of ram, and a 1070 SC on the newest drivers and no matter what I do it keeps happening. Makes me not even want to play the game. :(

cme

Neo Member
Just finished the campaign. The ending feels even more insulting because there's like no chance we are getting a sequel.

jdstorm

Banned
Just finished the campaign. The ending feels even more insulting because there's like no chance we are getting a sequel.

I wouldn't say No chance. DICE genuinely loves making this series, and EA said it sold to expectations. While there isn't Megabucks to be made from this series it can make money and it diversifys EAs portfolio.

TLDR. There's still a change of a sequel

I'm not sure why folks keep saying this. I felt the ending set the stage for a sequel. Faith gets more hardened, has a nice tattoo on her arm, and is 'gonna run'. They always said Catalyst would be an origin story, but I feel it also foreshadows new adventures.

DR2K

Banned
Just beat it, yelled what at the end, game still aye I have 25% left to do.

Open world is a boring time waster, every single side mission I played sucked, combat was grating, load times were total shit. This is not the sequel we deserved. Visuals are a mess on PS4, is rather have had the game at 30fps with motion blur, better AA and a higher resolution.

This game is a 6/10. The former was a 10/10 game. There are times where this game is Mirrors Edge, and those moments are brilliant.

I really do hope this game gets a sequel. Such a disappointment. Between this and Star Ocean 5 being my most anticipated games in a long time, it's been a depressing time as a gamer.

Ennosuke

I'm not sure why folks keep saying this. I felt the ending set the stage for a sequel. Faith gets more hardened, has a nice tattoo on her arm, and is 'gonna run'. They always said Catalyst would be an origin story, but I feel it also foreshadows new adventures.

I hope you are right! Kinda cool that she finally received the tattoo.

I absolutely loved this, and have just started a new game again. I haven't played the first so have no idea how it compares.

All I know is I love just running and climbing around everywhere. I especially enjoyed the grid node areas.

Oh, the ending absolutely sets up a sequel, it's just that we're probably not going to get one because the game got middling reviews and doesn't seem to be selling well. Maybe it'll happen. I'd certainly like a sequel, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst always felt like a one-in-a-million, hail mary kind of thing. It was never going to be hugely successful or kick off a new franchise, which is why I think going the safe route with it was the worst possible thing they could have done. Rebooting the series to tell basically the same boring story all over again, with pretty much the same setting, and then ending it on an unsatisfying sequel-bait note is just so disappointing. They blew their chance to go nuts with it; set the game on the moon, or in the distant past, or on an alien planet or something. Why are they so attached to this near-future 'corporations are evil' rubbish? The defining features of Mirror's Edge (going fast, running on walls, stark colours) could work in any setting, but they just went with the same thing that wasn't even successful the first time around.

Harlequin

I absolutely loved this, and have just started a new game again. I haven't played the first so have no idea how it compares.

All I know is I love just running and climbing around everywhere. I especially enjoyed the grid node areas.

The parkour mechanics are quite similar. The main difference is that the original didn't have an open world (its levels were much more tightly and IMO better designed than the linear missions in Catalyst, though). The combat was also quite different and the world was a bit less futuristic than Catalyst's.

I find the deliveries and diversions to be the real challenge in this game. Everything else, indeed including the dashes, is easy peasy.

Some of that side stuff is downright ridiculous.

I was really down on the game when I first started it but the gameplay comes through and I really enjoyed that. The story and characters on the other hand is just bottom tier trash.

Mifune

Mehmber
Very well argued, as all Mark Brown videos are. It's a shame that Catalyst wasn't what I imagined an open world Mirror's Edge could've been with more focus on just going with side-quests and objectives obtained on the fly like Burnout Paradise rather than all these stop starts with picking up collectibles like the chips or the mission givers being in one spot. I imagined doing races with other runners. I imagined more main missions to take the open world into effect, to basically make the case for why this needed to be open world. After all these years, this is not quite what the developers or players would have wanted.

Mirror's Edge had a comparatively shoestring budget and expecting it to feature seamless online integration ala Burnout Paradise (which by the way still hasn't been surpassed in that department) is a little unfair.

People forget that these games have budgets and schedules and just because an idea is good doesn't mean it's remotely practical.

Anyone having problems getting Ansel to work? I have the 368.81 drivers and I'm using a GTX 970, which should be supported. The game's version is 1.3.47248. I hit Alt+F2 as the Ansel blog post says to do, and nothing comes up. What's going on?

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. Turns out you HAVE to install the 3D Vision drivers or Ansel doesn't work. Why, I have no idea. At least the glitch the 3D Vision drivers used to cause with my video player don't seem to be a thing anymore, so I guess I can leave them in place.

Parham

Banned
Is there any way to enable anti-aliasing when using a custom config? I'm currently playing with a GTX 570 and would be fine with keeping most of the quality settings medium / low, but the harsh aliasing makes the game look like an eye sore.

ISee

Is there any way to enable anti-aliasing when using a custom config? I'm currently playing with a GTX 570 and would be fine with keeping most of the quality settings medium / low, but the harsh aliasing makes the game look like an eye sore.

As far as I know some kind of temporal AA is 'hardcoded' into the game. No reliable way to change it.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to bump this, but is the PS4 version supposed to run like shit?

I installed it from disk and I can't get beyond the first tutorial without it freezing. I've uninstalled and tried to reinstall it, removed save files, all of this cumulating in about a dozen or so freezes.

I feel bad since I got this game as a gift, but it's completely unplayable.

eliochip

I installed it from disk and I can't get beyond the first tutorial without it freezing. I've uninstalled and tried to reinstall it, removed save files, all of this cumulating in about a dozen or so freezes.

The game ran pretty smooth for me. Not a single freeze. Can't imagine what could be causing this. Try making sure it's patched?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Something's definitely wrong here. Game runs very smoothly, and never froze or bugged on me.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
The game ran pretty smooth for me. Not a single freeze. Can't imagine what could be causing this. Try making sure it's patched?

Yep, fully patched and all. I'll try again later, but until then the case will just have to collect dust.

Thanks for the replies.

Spoit

Yeah, that seems kinda weird, since the complaints were about them murdering the graphics quality on consoles in order to make sure it had a smooth framerate

Parham

Banned
As far as I know some kind of temporal AA is 'hardcoded' into the game. No reliable way to change it.

Thanks! That's a bit of a bummer. Seems like my best option right now is to set everything to low and just up the rendering resolution. I'd imagine this is more costly for my GPU than if the game had proper AA settings.

Spoit

Thanks! That's a bit of a bummer. Seems like my best option right now is to set everything on low and just up the rendering resolution. I'd imagine this is more costly for my GPU than if the game had proper AA settings.

There was a way to turn off the blurry AA, but I imagine that wouldn't really help in your case.

Top Bottom