• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst PC performance thread

Blizzard

Banned
Any reports on how this runs with 8GB of RAM (that's system RAM, not GPU)? Everyone here seems to have 16 GB, as recommended. Thanks!
Beta gave me problems with 8GB, but the full game runs fine for me:

Windows 7 64-bit, 4.2 GHz I5-3570k, 8GB DDR3, GTX 770 2GB.

It runs quite well (55-70 fps), though the beta struggled a lot with my amount of RAM. I run with vsync off and just deal with occasional tearing. I couldn't find any satisfactory way to triple buffer.

I'm using 1680x1050, 16x aniso, hyper texture/models, medium for everything else. Motion blur off.

Occasionally highres textures don't load, presumably due to VRAM limitations. The only big performance issue is the cutscenes for me, but that's a known bug apparently.

The game insists it's running in 1080p, but ShadowPlay seems to be capturing video at 720, which I haven't seen happen in other games before. What could be causing this?

Is it possible to unlock the game early via VPN btw?
Yes, select US or Can in your VPN before booting Origin. Once you've hit play on Catalyst just exit your VPN, and as long as you don't log out of Origin or turn your PC off it doesn't have to check again.
Yeah, if you thought the first Mirror's Edge induced vertigo, it had NOTHING on these environments.
Seriously, there's a crane bit and my knees were fucking WEAK.
Haha, not a fan of temporal AA, I guess? I will accept that smearing gladly if it can improve image quality.
I don't mind temporal AA usually, I really like Fallout 4's implementation of it, but this is too aggressive imo.

ISee

What's the cheapest way to buy this game on PC? I remember buying Inquisition for a very small price on the Mexican origin store back then. Is this still a valid option?

nem8

Neo Member
Yes, select US or Can in your VPN before booting Origin. Once you've hit play on Catalyst just exit your VPN, and as long as you don't log out of Origin or turn your PC off it doesn't have to check again.

Seriously, there's a crane bit and my knees were fucking WEAK.

I don't mind temporal AA usually, I really like Fallout 4's implementation of it, but this is too aggressive imo.

Does this work?

Im in europe. I preloaded the game earlier today.

Closed Origin now. Installed and started VPN using US East IP. Verified IP and it is correct.
Start Origin and i see Mirrors Edge in the store, it is marked as available now.
Go into library but the game is locked. Says it will unlock on the 9th...

d00d3n

Does this work?

Im in europe. I preloaded the game earlier today.

Closed Origin now. Installed and started VPN using US East IP. Verified IP and it is correct.
Start Origin and i see Mirrors Edge in the store, it is marked as available now.
Go into library but the game is locked. Says it will unlock on the 9th...

Works for me from Sweden. I used softether to connect to an american vpn.

Anyone who has experimented with the FOV setting for 21:9 resolutions? The range is 60-90. 90 seems to be a bit too much, so I am running at 80 currently.

AdamT

I had this problem in the beta. I solved it by allocating virtual memory to my HDD.
Go to Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced tab -> And in Performance, click on Settings -> Advanced tab -> Virtual memory click change. And in the hard drive where the game is located, change it to Managed by the System

I'm running it on an SSD and it was already setup that way. Thanks though! I'm going to reinstall the game and see if that changes anything.

d00d3n

The game runs great for me. Avg 80 fps and never below 60 fps during the introduction. Stable performance in open world, about avg 65 and min 50. The frame drops are not really noticeable using gsync.

Settings: 2560*1080, vsync disabled, gpu memory restriction disabled, fov 80, overall quality hyper

Specs: 5820k@4.3, 16 Gb RAM, Titan X SC, installed on ssd, running windows 10

Saty

http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/mirror-s-edge-catalyst-test-gpu

MirrorsEdgeCatalyst_1920.jpg

Game runs great on my rig, runs at constant 60 FPS on full max hyper settings on 1080P.
Specs as follows: I7 4790K running at 4.5 OC, 16GB DDR3 2400 Mhz ram, GTX 970 4GB.
Kind of surprised considering the beta stuttered like crazy, guess the drivers or full release fixed it.

Game has an issue loading hi-res textures it seems when you have the vram limit engaged. It makes hyper textures rather pointless and they probably look worse than lower settings at that point.

Zojirushi

Game has an issue loading hi-res textures it seems when you have the vram limit engaged. It makes hyper textures rather pointless and they probably look worse than lower settings at that point.

Well I guess the point of the VRAM limiter is to only not load high res textures when you're actually out of VRAM as opposed to not having high res textures at all.

How much VRAM do you have?

Well I guess the point of the VRAM limiter is to only not load high res textures when you're actually out of VRAM as opposed to not having high res textures at all.

How much VRAM do you have?

4GB on my 980, I know it's not 8 like those new fangled 1080's I can't actually buy yet but I thought it'd be enough to prevent textures that look like this. This is happening on all of the texture settings I bothered trying which is high, ultra and hyper. The only way I can find to fix it is to turn off the memory limit. Not my screenshot so I know it's not happening to just me.

CWDTV4R.jpg

O9QXizk.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
I've definetly been seeing some low rez textures on a 980 ti too and it wasn't using near the max memory. Was around 4 gb.

I just took off the cap after troubleshooting it (had the issue where it needs system managed page file) and Hyper textures now use up the full 6GB rather than the 4ish it was using before, and from what I can tell the low rez stuff is less frequent. Ultra seems to take up 4.5. This is at 1440p.

Can't really tell the difference between Ultra and Hyper. Does the lighting setting affect shadow resolution?

yeah, before nvidia deleted their comparison article i believe they stated it controls shadow map res and lod. maybe they deleted it because it was was wrong? their screens showed better lod and shadows and not much else. they mentioned something about a 4x resolution increase to the games light calculations but in their comparison screen for it it just manifested as a slighty more accurate reflection on one of the floors

FaintDeftone

Running the game on Ultra 1080p on my rig and it runs at 60+ FPS without any noticeable drops.

i7 4790k
16GB RAM
7200 RPM WD Black 1TB (OS running on SSD)
GTX 970 SCC 4GB
Xbox One Elite controller

The only problem I'm having right now is that the controls are a bit wonky using the triggers and bumpers to do all of the parkour movements isn't necessarily ideal. I wanted to map those buttons to my paddles on the Elite controller but every time I open the Xbox Accessories app in Windows 10 it says I need to update the controller firmware and it keeps connecting/disconnecting my controller over and over again and eventually fails. I can't even get past the update screen. I feel like the paddles will fix my gripes with the controls but this stupid Xbox Accessories app is garbage.

XAL

So, I'm having some major fucking problems with this game - the cutscenes. They run like FUCKING GARBAGE.

I played the beta and everything ran perfectly.

Now when I hit a cutscene it fucking chuggs like 0-10 fps and the audio is ahead by like 5-8 seconds. Outside of cutscenes everything is fine and runs nicely.

Win 10 64
i5 2500k 3.30GHz
16 GB RAM
GTX 980 SC, 4GB GDDR5

Drivers are all up to date.

Does unchecking the GPU memory limit do anything?

I tried dropping my 90 POV down the default but that didn't affect performance during cutscenes much.

*edit*

People on Reddit says setting program priority to high in task manager. Those work for anyone? Can't check for myself right now.

Evo X

Running everything Hyper at 1440P. Seems to run smooth with GSYNC. No noticeable problems on my end.

Those having stuttering or texture issues should try disabling the memory limit. If that doesn't work, try lowering the texture setting.

I've noticed almost 9GB of VRAM usage on my Titan X. This game loves memory for some reason.

Blizzard

Banned
I just had my first graphics driver crash on the new NVIDIA drivers (2GB GTX 770). Only crash since upgrading them though.

slapnuts

uh, am I blind or are the Fury, Fury X, Nano, 390, 390X cards all missing from that graph?

Well that's really odd to not put AMD's higher tier cards in there...and before anyone says the 290/x is the same as the 390/x...nope not true, there are a few advantages of the 390/x.

And if they were in there, i have a feeling they'd be near the top of that list outside of SLI stuff

dr_rus

Thanks.

Well, it's a 60 fps game on consoles so its bound to run well on PC.

Well that's really odd to not put AMD's higher tier cards in there...and before anyone says the 290/x is the same as the 390/x...nope not true, there are a few advantages of the 390/x.

And if they were in there, i have a feeling they'd be near the top of that list outside of SLI stuff

Gamegpu has been missing AMD's top cards for some time now. This usually happens when the cards where given for testing by AMD's local office and then taken back for some reason.

GavinUK86

i7 2600k @ 4ghz, 16GB RAM and a GTX 970.

1920x1080, Vsync off on Hyper settings.

Runs pretty good. 65-70FPS on average with drops to 50 and highs to 100.

Some of the textures are atrocious though. A lot of pop-in too.

Evo X

i7 2600k @ 4ghz, 16GB RAM and a GTX 970.

1920x1080, Vsync off on Hyper settings.

Runs pretty good. 65-70FPS on average with drops to 50 and highs to 100.

Some of the textures are atrocious though. A lot of pop-in too.

Turn off memory limit. It will fix the texture and pop in issues.

I feel like that should be in big bold letters in the OP.

Edit: Although you might also need to lower settings to Ultra to prevent stuttering because of your 3.5GB of VRAM.

ascully

Geforce Experience does a good job of optimizing this game on the 970, it runs very smooth and it chooses ultra for almost every setting.

GavinUK86

Turn off memory limit. It will fix the texture and pop in issues.

I feel like that should be in big bold letters in the OP.

Edit: Although you might also need to lower settings to Ultra to prevent stuttering because of your 3.5GB of VRAM.

Yeah turned that off and every few seconds it drops to 45FPS then back up to 60+. Turned everything to Ultra and it's stable again but the textures are a lot clearer than before. You're right, turning that off should be bolded somewhere. I didn't know it scaled textures down so badly beforehand. So anyone know what the recommended hardware is for Hyper settings? I'm guessing a 1070 or 1080? I googled it, found the Nvidia guide but the page doesn't exist.

Evo X

Yeah turned that off and every few seconds it drops to 45FPS then back up to 60+. Turned everything to Ultra and it's stable again but the textures are a lot clearer than before. You're right, turning that off should be bolded somewhere. I didn't know it scaled textures down so badly beforehand. So anyone know what the recommended hardware is for Hyper settings? I'm guessing a 1070 or 1080? I googled it, found the Nvidia guide but the page doesn't exist.

Before the guide page got taken down, I believe Hyper settings were recommended for 1070, 1080, and Titan X. I'm sure a 980Ti could run them as well, but it might stutter depending on resolution as this game loves VRAM. At 1440P, I've noticed a tad more than 8GB of VRAM usage in MSI Afterburner. When I tried raising the resolution scale to 2.0, the game started running at 3fps and used up the entire 12GB of VRAM my card has. lol

Gonna need 16GB+ HBM2 Pascal Titan to start messing with that option.

Before the guide page got taken down, I believe Hyper settings were recommended for 1070, 1080, and Titan X. I'm sure a 980Ti could run them as well, but it might stutter depending on resolution as this game loves VRAM. At 1440P, I've noticed a tad more than 8GB of VRAM usage in MSI Afterburner. When I tried raising the resolution scale to 2.0, the game started running at 3fps and used up the entire 12GB of VRAM my card has. lol

Gonna need 16GB+ HBM2 Pascal Titan to start messing with that option.

1440p hyper - 1080
1440p ultra - 980ti
1080p ultra - 970

I believe thats what it said

Flandy

Why did nvidia delete the performance article?

Also, my friend can't get 4k60 Hyper on a 1080 SLI setup
Barely manages to get 60 on Ultra and even then it still drops down sometimes

i5 3570k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM. I have to drop the game down to High in order to run at 60fps at 1920x1200, and even then it doesn't appear to be solid according to the in-game FPS counter. I'm not sure if it's my system specifically, the 3570k, or if everything saying "1080p Ultra on GTX 970" is a lie, but I definitely can't select Ultra unless I want to live with 30fps.

PaulloDEC

Does anyone have a good resource for tweaking the game? I'd be interested to see if there's any options re: AA available, the default option tends to get a bit jaggy in motion for me.

Top Bottom