• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016) officially announced

Much looking forward to seeing more about this. Found the first one very interesting and absolute fantastic visually, though it didn't really get into it it had a lot of potential. So far this is looking good and I have confidence in DICE.

It's a given with any EA published game unless confirmed otherwise. This has not been confirmed otherwise yet, therefore it is a given. Forget DICE's history. This is EA publishing going forward.

Honestly, this is completely ridiculous. The vast majority of games EA has released in the past couple years have not required an online connection.

I realize people hate EA, but come on.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What I want: Keep parkour the focus. Ignore/remove the gunplay. I'll be in day one.

What I expect: Shootbang with a side of running/jumping.

while looking even close to this?

5sh42I2.gif

Yes......I don't think the system could do that.

The system could easily have a "Morpheus mode" that reduces some settings in order to bring performance up to spec

ARK is coming to Morpheus and it's a pretty good looking game too

Falchion

Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games of all time despite how short it was. I bought it day 1 on PS3 for $60, went home and beat it in one session and didn't even feel disappointed.

It sucks that it probably won't get released until well into 2016 but I'll happily wait however much longer since it's already been 7 years since the first.

EtZxsy8.gif

Skilletor

Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games of all time despite how short it was. I bought it day 1 on PS3 for $60, went home and beat it in one session and didn't even feel disappointed.

It sucks that it probably won't get released until well into 2016 but I'll happily wait however much longer since it's already been 7 years since the first.

The real Mirror's Edge starts in time trials.

Dark Fact

@DICE, please remove the ability for Faith to pick up/use guns at all! This was the weakest part of Mirror's Edge, and the game was clearly meant to be played without them. Just force the subject and have her ignore them always to make players solve problems with her alone.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a sandbox mode, DICE-DICE. I just want drop-in/drop-out with a sandbox mode. Anything else (mod ability, which ain't gonna happen since LOL Frostbite) would be killer.

I'm so happy that we're going to see more of this at E3. Been waiting two years for this. OMG.

ViciousDS

Banned
The system could easily have a "Morpheus mode" that reduces some settings in order to bring performance up to spec

ARK is coming to Morpheus and it's a pretty good looking game too

maybe disable certain physics to reduce strain......hm, would be interesting. The feeling of VR though would insanely make up for the visual downgrade. I can see plenty of people getting nauseated lol. People thought the first one was nauseating without the dot.....wait till you start parkouring in VR.......damn

bombshell

a7eeae038851851a2b0507cca1917b04.jpeg.

I'll play it as I loved Mirror's Edge but this is disappointing, there were some shitty parts too and I would like to see all new environments.

It's not a remake of the first, it's a reboot like the first game never happened. So it will be 100% new environments, and I think it was rumoured to be open world.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

They already said two years ago that they're making the focus purely on running with very VERY little combat, if any combat the combat is going to be "with motion." No stopping to disarm and pop people with a gun. You can wall-run, smack someone with your leg to take down and continue in a flow. Provided their goals haven't changed since last E3.

I'm wary. Hopefully they won't casual-ize or dumb the game down in an attempt to appeal to a more mainstream audience. We'll see.

And Faith's new look is fine.

What I want: Keep parkour the focus. Ignore/remove the gunplay. I'll be in day one.

I'm a lot more hopeful.

EA/DICE isn't run by idiots. They have to be aware that everyone hated the gunplay in Mirror's Edge.

Don't get me wrong, they could very well screw this up. But I suspect that there will be waaaaay less gunplay.

Gbraga

Is it still open world?

I hope it isn't. Or at least not in the Ubisoft meaning of the expression.

I'd be ok with something like Dark Souls. Or the open world being just an online HUB with races and other side events, but once you get to the place where your story mission wil start, there's a loding screen, the game loads an actual level, and shit goes down.

I can't see how an Ubisoft open world could be as good as a contrived level with obstacles and whatnot.

There's also the issue that it would either be too complex to simply traverse from point A to point B or completely dumbed down in order not to be too complex, which would be even worse.

I'm a lot more hopeful.

EA/DICE isn't run by idiots. They have to be aware that everyone hated the gunplay in Mirror's Edge.

Don't get me wrong, they could very well screw this up. But I suspect that there will be waaaaay less gunplay.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about focus on guns at all. Mirror's Edge is no Call of Duty when it comes to popularity, EA has better franchises if they just want to use a name to sell, it makes no sense to make another Mirror's Edge if it isn't really Mirror's Edge anymore.

GQman2121

Banned
People on the internet are so basic. It's a game where you never see the protagonist during gameplay. Who gives a shit what she looks like? Besides, both designs are so damn similar anyway it's the last thing anyone should be worrying about.

Razzorn34

I'm a lot more hopeful.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

In all honesty, you do have to wonder at times. I have zero faith until I see some gameplay.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Does Battlefront have this stuff?
Not sure but I hope not. Given unless confirmed otherwise is how I'm treating EA published games going forward from now on.
Honestly, this is completely ridiculous. The vast majority of games EA has released in the past couple years have not required an online connection.

I realize people hate EA, but come on.
Don't give a shit about the last couple of years. I said EA publishing going forward and given unless confirmed otherwise. This also has nothing to do with 'EA hate.' I believe it's their strategy going forward; Gamespot had an article on it a month back as well I believe. For all our sakes, I hope they confirm otherwise at E3. I hope the press sneak fucks hammer them with that question for every single game they're publishing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I highly expect them to straight up take out being able to use guns.

They already said two years ago that they're making the focus purely on running with very VERY little combat, if any combat the combat is going to be "with motion." No stopping to disarm and pop people with a gun. You can wall-run, smack someone with your leg to take down and continue in a flow. Provided their goals haven't changed since last E3.

I'm a lot more hopeful.

My hype is growing.

TheYanger

I need this ASAP. Mirror's Edge is legitimately my favorite game of the last generation, and I played it probably a half dozen times at least.

Top Bottom