• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016) officially announced

Mononoke

Banned
Not a big fan of Faith's redesign. Could be just the artwork though.

I'm with everyone saying this. I'll of course wait until we can see more, but this looks like a step back from earlier designs. Still, super excited. If anything worried me, it's the reboot aspect.

I'm fine with the reboot aspect itself. I guess that just means it could go any direction. Hopefully it's the right direction.

Rosur

Cool, glad its not a mobile runner that people were thinking it might be, shame its a reboot than a sequel but guess that easier to market.

Also likes the looks.

Crzy1

Really loved the original, a real diamond in the rough, not liking the rumors about an always online open world mechanic, but if it's not intrusive I can deal with it for more Faith.

I've played Mirror's Edge like a million times, Platinum'd it on PS3 and double-dipped on PC, and I have no fucking idea what the cliffhanger people are talking about is. That game's story left absolutely zero impression on me. I remember kicking the guy out of the helicopter and the first person hug into credits, and pretty much nothing else :p

Not happy that New Faith doesn't have shoes with split toes, but I can't wait to see how this game turns out.
Something something big brother runner killing conspiracy pollitical loolapaloozas scapegoat child illegal mailmen

Something like that

luminous

Ahhhhh yes, I almost forgot this was still happening some time ago. Glad it's finally time they start showing it. Must watch EA's conference now

PillarEN

Most hyped up EA game for me since the EA of of semi-old (Dead Space 1, Mirrors Edge aka around 2008 or something). Please don't make this game always online single player. Thank you.

monlo

gonna reserve judgment until E3 on the actual product, but "This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2" means it's a remake to me, which is unnecessary imo

It might be her hair not matching her forehead but something seems a little off about her head and face. There was that older promo picture of the design from a side angle and it looked better from that view. Probably has a lot to do with her expression too. Anyways, I hope they actually give her a personality this time.

Exile20

gonna reserve judgment until E3 on the actual product, but "This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2" means it's a remake to me, which is unnecessary imo

So I immediately lost interest in this.

Wished it was a sequel, oh well. Many more games out there to play.

OK, if they're going out of their way to clarify it's a reboot then they've already cared far too much about the story.

I'm concerned.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What's actually the difference between a ME sequel/prequel (=ME 2) and a ME Reboot? Just a new story and some new mechanics? (never played part 1)
They're basically starting over plot wise and the game doesn't 100% follow from how the first one plays (for example, rumors point to guns being unusuable, but her having expanded melee capabilities).

They're basically starting over plot wise and the game doesn't 100% follow from how the first one plays (for example, rumors point to guns being unusuable, but her having expanded melee capabilities).

Man, I would love for those rumors to be true. I'd still love to be able to disarm bad guys and dismantle their guns, though.

Gbraga

Not so sure about this. I held ME in a high regard but I replayed it on PC recently and I don't know.... They have to improve the gameplay quite a bit for Catalyst because ME was way, way, way too trial and error and is only really fun when you already know the levels and can breeze through - which I doubt should be the goal here.

I like it, it's what makes it unique. You have to master the controls and the level design before you can just run through it blindly.

It is trial and error, but I see no problem with that. I'll take dying and going back a little bit to try it again until I'm good over holding a button and watching my character parkour, thank you very much.

Doesn't look mixed at all to me. She looks more realistic asian and less "stylized asian" to me

Pretty much my impression on her design.

Arcadius

Banned
Mirrors Edge is one of my all time favorite games ever... EVER!!! I really hope Catalyst will be good, I really really hope it'll be good, I want most Mirrors Edge.

Faith looks okay, though.

Dabanton

is there even a point to E3 anymore?

Yes showing the game in motion to people who don't follow every facet of game news aka a large majority of the public and media.

No doubt there will still be a few surprises but why not show a game we already know exists.

The E3 newsbag is going to be very empty if the leaks keep coming at this rate.

Not that I mind, its just funny watching the internet decimate the idea of keeping anything under wraps.

EA is publishing and there most certainly will be an "always online persistent world." God I hate that fucking shit so bad.

Um, I don't think this is necessarily a given. It's EA, yes, but has DICE made ANY games with a "always online persistent world"? Ever? I can't think of any.

Ansatz

Reboot in this context means that it's not going to be a direct sequel design wise, they're taking the series in a different direction while retaining elements of the first game.

I have a feeling this will be an open world AC clone. There is no way we are getting a linear 3D platformer with level design that focuses purely on maintaining momentum.

Eggbok

Um, I don't think this is necessarily a given. It's EA, yes, but has DICE made ANY games with a "always online persistent world"? Ever? I can't think of any.

Yeah, even Battlefront can be played offline.

This reboot also looks a lot more futuristic than the first Mirror's Edge, look at the helicopters.
mirrors-edge-catalyst.jpg
37159_normal.jpg

Ithil

Reboot in this context means that it's not going to be a direct sequel design wise, they're taking the series in a different direction while retaining elements of the first game.

I have a feeling this will be an open world AC clone. There is no way we are getting a linear 3D platformer with level design that focuses purely on maintaining momentum.

It doesn't really matter that it's not a sequel, the story was nothing in the first one. The draw of the first game was the first person platforming and the stark art style. As long as those remain there's no problem.

Top Bottom