• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016) officially announced

matmanx1

I bet this is going to look pretty mind-blowing on current gen hardware. I can't wait to clench my buttocks at absurdly high resolutions as I guide Faith over and between sky-scrapers in city of tomorrow.

Skilletor

Does she look that different from the first game's Faith? I think both designs are awesome. Love seeing a minority, female lead, whose body makes perfect sense for the activities she's doing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Doesn't look mixed at all to me. She looks more realistic asian and less "stylized asian" to me
I see slightly blasian lips and a white influenced nose, definitely not 50/50 mix but originally she looked like someone with ancestry only from mainland China

I dislike the subtitle 'Catalyst', but I'm glad this is happening and I'm very keen to see more. Although we heard about this reboot two years ago and they probably won't be ready to release for another year, so it's yet another game we heard about far too early. I wish publishers would stop doing this.

Apdiddy

The title "Mirror's Edge Catalyst" had me thinking this was a mobile 'endless runner' game but I'm actually glad that it's not. Any console Mirror's Edge is better than no Mirror's Edge.

Skilletor

I dislike the subtitle 'Catalyst', but I'm glad this is happening and I'm very keen to see more. Although we heard about this reboot two years ago and they probably won't be ready to release for another year, so it's yet another game we heard about far too early. I wish publishers would stop doing this.

Q1 2016 isn't too far off.

Ithil

Does she look that different from the first game's Faith? I think both designs are awesome. Love seeing a minority, female lead, whose body makes perfect sense for the activities she's doing.

latest

mirrors-edge-catalyst.jpg

There is a difference. She's less stylized.

so1337

I see EA is still trying to use "reboot" as a buzzword to make their games seem sexier than they are. Noone cares about that first game because of the story and I'm pretty sure this'll be no different. As long as the game is about running away from corrupt policemen and doing crazy acrobatics, I'm in.

Ansatz

It doesn't really matter that it's not a sequel, the story was nothing in the first one. The draw of the first game was the first person platforming and the stark art style. As long as those remain there's no problem.

I agree with bolded, but the problem is that combat will likely be a central part of the game.

Basically yeah. First game ended in a cliffhanger, this one will go with a clean slate

Okaaay, that's odd. People seem to be really hyped for that game but if the predecessor ended with a cliffhanger, well, I would rather have anticipated are more ambiguous response to the reboot idea...

ViciousDS

Banned
I bet this is going to look pretty mind-blowing on current gen hardware. I can't wait to clench my buttocks at absurdly high resolutions as I guide Faith over and between sky-scrapers in city of tomorrow.

hope it looks like the original teaser we saw

Gbraga

I also think they should drop the subtitle and just call it Mirror's Edge.

But whatever, who cares, can't wait to see a gameplay demo. EA, please, show an actual gameplay demo and not one of those "gameplay trailers" with no gameplay at all.

Okaaay, that's odd. People seem to be really hyped for that game but if the predecessor ended with a cliffhanger, well, I would rather have anticipated are more ambiguous response to the reboot idea...

The story is shit, the cutscenes were shit, people loved it for the gameplay, art and level design. Faith was also pretty good.

If they intend to focus more on the story this time, it was a good move.

Even if the story still sucks and they fail at their goal, as long as it doesn't have a million unskippable cutscenes, I don't really care.

I agree with bolded, but the problem is that combat will likely be a central part of the game.

They talked about how it's a puzzle kind of thing, and enemies/momentum will be a big part of how that works, so I could see having to drill some enemies to get the height to jump up somewhere for escaping.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Um, I don't think this is necessarily a given. It's EA, yes, but has DICE made ANY games with a "always online persistent world"? Ever? I can't think of any.
It's a given with any EA published game unless confirmed otherwise. This has not been confirmed otherwise yet, therefore it is a given. Forget DICE's history. This is EA publishing going forward.

Davey Cakes

First game was gorgeous to look at, and the first person "platforming" was really refreshing and fun. One of the only games where the demo sold me on the concept entirely.

That said, anything involving guns sucked. I hope they fully address that aspect of the gameplay.

Just played the first game last month and loved it so I'm excited for this. I am completely fine with it being a reboot, the story in the first game was easily the most forgettable part so having a new one will be great as well.

LordofPwn

Never got around to the original so i may have to pick this up.

Also did people forget that E3 got pushed back a week or is everyone trying to announce their stuff before a megaton drops at e3?

Would laugh at everyone blew their load pre-e3 to avoid getting drowned out only to realize there's nothing left to announce at e3.

eso76

This is like peeking at your Christmas presents beforehand.
Like weighting the boxes and trying to guess what's inside days before you're allowed to open them.
I am not sure I like these pre E3 reveals, but I can't help it. Then again, we knew mirrors edge would be there, but I hope there's a few surprises left comes Monday.

There is a difference. She's less stylized.

Yep I prefer it honestly. She looks like a much more accurate representation of a real person with Asian heritage and less of a stylized version of that. I get though thats not true for everyone but I think she looks amazing now

Top Bottom