• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

javac

Killer Zelda and potentially a killer Mario in the same year, next year is going to be nuts. 2017 will be the culmination of years of work for Nintendo.

Shang

Excited for what a truly different Mario with more modern and, in some cases, Western design philosophy would look like. I'm hoping this is a trend, as Breath of the Wild looks fantastic.

NimbusD

3D World is all of this though. Unless you mean aesthetically?

3d world is exactly what I mean by limiting the scope of the gameplay to something of lesser technology. Games are capable of a lot more than just prettier graphics now, the scope of mario can be bigger, doesn't have to be hard 'levels' with and overworld and singular entrances.

Would this Mario 3-2 be an open-world style game, or just linear with some exploration?

I don't know, not open world, not like with quests and shit. But why limit it to singular levels with a single path. Like mario 64 actually had a great sense of exploration for a mario game, but the hub sort of broke it all up a bit too much.

I dunno just spit ballin

This is essentially what Super Mario 3D World is.

Yep and Tezuka has basically said as much. Minus the "casual crowd" stuff. The next iteration of 2D Mario will still be aimed at a large audience.
Yeah, they never said "casual crowd", but it's done. Nintendo is going to reboot 2D Mario again. It's clear as a sunny sky.

Also, I think Koizumi wanted more story in 3D Mario and I expect with him leading the way the next 3D Mario will change the story formula. I'm thinking a new bad guy at the very least.

Aldric

I'm hyped, Galaxy 3 would be cool.

Nah, l loved Galaxy back then but another entry with the same gravity and spherical platforms gimmick would be as disappointing as another 3D Land/World type game.

Something entirely new, bold and creative please.

In my heart and dreams I'm really rooting for a Mario that combines the open environments of 64's Castle and Sunshine's Del Fino but much larger in size and there's no warps that separates levels. I'm hoping for something more in line with Jet Set Radio Futurue in fact. I think Future is a fantastic example of an open world platformer and it fully expands upon the ideas that were made famous by Mario 64. Of course, I think it'd be a downgrade from Galaxy if you couldn't go in space, so I'm hoping you can somehow platform to the stars. I'm envisioning an entire universe at work here. Super Mario Universe. Given Galaxy was my game of the generation last generation I have extremely high hopes.

I think something like Galaxy 3, as much as I love the first two, would be incredibly safe and boring.

6SS7xsW.jpg

Is your body ready?

Thanks, I guess we all needed that.

Gartooth

I'm very glad to hear this since Mario Maker aside, this series has been on auto pilot for nearly 10 years since Galaxy 1. I liked the Mario 3D Land/World games, but they didn't feel bold since it was marrying 3D Mario to longstanding 2D Mario design pillars.

I want another theme mario.
I loved kirby planet robobot and how they made it robot and machine style.

So with mario i want something similar.

Give me pre historic dinosour mario game. Change the enemies. I want dinosaurs and cavemen koopalings. T rexes.

I dont want another mashroom kingdom and gombas and boos.

neohwa

Maybe, possibly announcement next E3?

Man, you have to launch NX with a NX game, like Mario. Not a Wii U game.

No more Galaxy please, I suffered through two of those fucking games already.

Open world Mario. Stick 120 stars on an open map and let's goooooooooo

hatchx

Banned
I've always wanted a seamless open world for Mario. It doesn't have to be completely open, there can be streamlined Jak and Dexter-style parts in there. If they took inspiration from Grow Home there could be insane potential.

And add online multiplayer. Why not?

weekev

Banned
So the 2017 leaks begin already. Full show schedule will be known by Christmas.

I hope it's similar to Galaxy in terms of originality compared to previous Mario.

I want another theme mario.
I loved kirby planet robobot and how they made it robot and machine style.

So with mario i want something similar.

Give me pre historic dinosour mario game. Change the enemies. I want dinosaurs and cavemen koopalings. T rexes.

I dont want another mashroom kingdom and gombas and boos.

Oh Yeah.
I think Robobot is a pretty good example of what I want as well.
No open world, no "western influence", none of that stupid crap.
Just a fresh new expansive run&jump-friendly mechanic wrapped around the SMB series' traditional tightly designed linear 2D/3D platforming with really unique and well-thought out theming to match it (so if the gimmick is a futuristic hover board I wanna ride, run, & jump through levels that look like a fusion of "Toad's Harbor" and "Neo Bowser City" from MK8)

Like, Robobot looks really awesome and fresh despite the fact that it's basically a traditional Kirby game built around mechs who interact with the tried and true copy ability.

Oh ohhhh ohhhh my.Whats this new kind of Mario then.

Nintendo keeping up the hype train after the glorious Zelda.

I expect an adult Mario with guns,bombs and blood.It won't be I know.

Aldric

Wait, were young programmers also responsible for 3D Land/World

"Young programmers" aren't miracle workers. One of the main guys behind Splatoon which is often cited as an example of that new generation of Nintendo talents also worked on NSMB2 and this game is pure mediocrity.

"Young programmers" aren't miracle workers. One of the main guys behind Splatoon which is often cited as an example of that new generation of Nintendo talents also worked on NSMB2 and this game is pure mediocrity.
Then said team that created NSMB2 was given more influence and control and created Mario Maker which has been a large success.

Mario Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and NSMW were all fucking amazing, so I have faith that whatever they do with the next Mario, it will be an amazing game as well.

Didn't they say that was thei first Mario game to learn how 2D Mario games work? Now look at Super Mario Maker. I would say they picked up on it pretty good.

Azoo

Neo Member
In a pipedream..

I can imagine a faux open world Mario game that progresses like a traditional Mario game, but has stages like 64 or Sunshine. So to start, imagine 3D World controls/mechanics with all of Mario's parkour ish moves from the early 3D titles.

Alright so the general idea: Mario has to defeat Bowser at his big castle whatever thing way at the other end of a big map. There are multiple worlds in between you, but the amount depends on your playthrough and what exactly you do in each world.

Let's say you go into stages roughly the size of Mario 64 levels and do many missions for power stars, all whilst interacting with NPCs. In certain specific missions, you hit story beats that give you the option to take a path to the next world (which'd be naturally / seamlessly connected). But the thing is, because it'd be treated more like a geographical location than a regular Mario game would, you might have more than one ending you can get for a single stage, with that depending on who you talked to or what missions you did.

For example, the grassland / Mushroom Kingdom level at the beginning of the game may have three different paths that may lead either into the jungle, further into the Toad villages, or lead you to the desert. From there, each of those paths may have up to two or three places they can lead to as well (possibly even a shared area or two in the middle of them), and that would continue for a several more worlds until it converges at the end at the big bad Bowser location.

This'd make for a Star Fox esque 'carve your own route' kind of gameplay where there are numerous different paths that can come out of your playthrough depending on how you approach the game. Also since you'd want to collect all the power stars, you'd want to explore and do as much as possible in the game to get them all, backtracking and covering all the land in the process.

Also fast travel = warp pipes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But yeah that's one idea on how taking the Mario series forward could work. Not saying it's perfect, but it's a concept, and I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo pull something similar.

An open world 3D platformer where you explore a fully realized Mushroom Kingdom collecting stars would be cool! However after Zelda, I feel like the Mario team might start asking themselves why certain conventions of the series exist.

"Why are power-ups hidden in question blocks?" You may think that changing something as iconic as that is out of the question, but Nintendo just replaced hearts in Zelda with food...

Matbtz

What if we got e Super Mario Sunshine?

There could be multiple islands and everything is seamlessly connected.

I'll be pretty cool with that ! But I would prefer something entirely new. You can't really make a sequel for Mario Sunshine, even if the story is really not the focus in a Mario game, that would be strange.

This fresh blood coming in Nintendo is the best thing ! I just hope the next Mario game will be in a year and not two... They will need it soon for NX.

Maybe Zelda and pikmin 4 / Luigi's Mansion 3 for NX launch and Mario for holiday.
(Alongside somes games with broader audience for the launch window)

Business

I really don't get the calls for an open world game. Mario should be more of a platformer than an adventure game. The very fact of running around in a 3D space was inherently cool back in Mario 64, but today?

They pretty much perfected the 3D Mario formula in SM3DW so I hope they don't deviate much from that.

Top Bottom