• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

Davey Cakes

NX in March 2017 with Zelda at launch, with Mario at Holiday 2017?

It could work, I guess.
I mean, Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy were only about a year apart. I could imagine BotW and the new Mario to be closer together.

2017 will be smashing.

javadoze

Sounds like he's at war with Aonuma to shake up their franchises.

Miyamoto: "We must remember the conventions that make Mario games what they are."

Aounuma: "Break all the conventions."

5YWNEKH.jpg

Aldric

I really don't get the calls for an open world game. Mario should be more of a platformer than an adventure game. The very fact of running around in a 3D space was inherently cool back in Mario 64, but today?

They pretty much perfected the 3D Mario formula in SM3DW so I hope they don't deviate much from that.

They didn't "perfect" anything, they made a game for people who enjoy classic sidescrollers and more or less alienated players who grew up enjoying the new type of platforming games spearheaded by Mario 64. Because for about a decade platformers were synonymous with this sort of design, you can't just ignore this period of gaming history and treat it as some sort of mistake. Look at the success of the Yooka Laylee kickstarter, there's an audience for this type of experience, and it's obvious Nintendo could create something really special if they adopted this design again, let their creativity run free and tried to perfect it.

Apt101

Open world side scroller beat 'em up Mario with RPG elements and mobile tie ins..... but played using NX's revolutionary new mashup controller that is one part Power Pad, one part Power Glove.

spliced

The 3D Marios have already done a pretty great job of being fresh so a new kind of Mario is just business as usual there. The 2D Marios could use a shake up though.

KevinCow

Banned
I want an open world Mario. Basically make it an evolution of Mario 64 in the way Breath of the Wild is an evolution of OoT.

Trilobit

I want a Mario game that is challenging from the beginning and not being able to just happily run through the first 20 stages.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I want a Mario game that is challenging from the beginning and not being able to just happily run through the first 20 stages.

That'll never happen. Mario games will always be someone's first. The best you can hope for is a spinoff like New Super Luigi U that sets out to be a challenging alternative for those who have already beaten the first.

Darryl

Banned
It's gonna be a Minecraft-like. I swear. Mario Maker 3D. I had a hunch they were trying a clone years ago and then we got Mario Maker, which is not the same thing but is a middle road transition game

wrowa

Please no more grass, sand and fire levels please....... and no Koopalings.... I'm so extremly tired of these.

If a "new kind of Mario" just means a Mario without Koopalings I'd already be satisfied. I really don't know what Nintendo is thinking by forcing them into every single Mario game these days. It makes them all feel the same.

It's gonna be a Minecraft-like. I swear. Mario Maker 3D. I had a hunch they were trying a clone years ago and then we got Mario Maker, which is not the same thing but is a middle road transition game
Nobody wants that as a main 3D Mario platforming game....I want a Nintendo created experience. Not make my own levels. They can make that on the side.

Darryl

Banned
These quotes from Aonuma interviews seem relevant:

Time

Wired

oh wow. I really think that's what they are going for. this quote is damning. Nintendo is such an ace at this stuff. they release something completely original like Mario Maker, now if they brought those concepts they've innovated on into 3D who could really feel like they are apeing Minecraft?

that game left so much to be innovated on by Nintendo anyways. despite all of the money it'd earned, it's still a half baked indie.
imagine Minecraft-esque building with enormous open-world style hand-designed (no procedural garbage) by Nintendo base levels, alongside Mario Sunshine-esque platforming. Top it off with Nintendo polish and this game will be a force.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Before you get all experimental. Can I have a true sequel to SM64/Galaxy for the NX.

You know. A proper free roaming 3D Mario.

Thanks Nintendo.

I always did like the idea of porting Super Mario Maker to the NX.

The problem is, how would it exactly work? All signs point to the NX not having a second screen to work with. And without a second screen, where would the touch screen (which made SMM possible to work) go?

Darryl

Banned
Nobody wants that as a main 3D Mario platforming game....I want a Nintendo created experience. Not make my own levels. They can make that on the side.

There is middle ground here. They can make the base campaign levels themselves and have it be a fully functional platformer in itself, with the crafting as a mild gimmick in the main game, while simultaneously still having crafting elements and the option for massive open-world crafting style games.

Having a huge Mario level where you can wall jump off skyscrapers is cool. But what about a game where you could build and share crazy experiences like that yourself? It gives the game longevity and even more universal appeal

doofy102

They didn't "perfect" anything, they made a game for people who enjoy classic sidescrollers and more or less alienated players who grew up enjoying the new type of platforming games spearheaded by Mario 64. Because for about a decade platformers were synonymous with this sort of design, you can't just ignore this period of gaming history and treat it as some sort of mistake. Look at the success of the Yooka Laylee kickstarter, there's an audience for this type of experience, and it's obvious Nintendo could create something really special if they adopted this design again, let their creativity run free and tried to perfect it.

3D Land and World are NOT a sidescrollers. What's more, there isn't a single 3D game like them. In 2016 they're way more unique than the "new types of platforming games," you speak of. I'd take another completely new form of Mario if they nailed their idea as well as they did the 3D World games.

That said, you know, I do think a new 64 type game is something that should be done at some point.

There is middle ground here. They can make the base campaign levels themselves and have it be a fully functional platformer in itself, with the crafting as a mild gimmick in the main game, while simultaneously still having crafting elements and the option for massive open-world crafting style games.

Having a huge Mario level where you can wall jump off skyscrapers is cool. But what about a game where you could build and share crazy experiences like that yourself? It gives the game longevity and even more universal appeal

If it's another mode then I'm fine with it, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is probably my favorite game of all time and I would love a sequel to that to where it's complete huge open galaxy to maybe where you fly around in a spaceship literally controlling it. Or I would love a mix up Super Mario 3D World and Mario 64 where you have a huge Mushroom Kingdom or a new kingdom to explore and go to open levels to collect stars either by yourself or with up to 4 players.

If they want to do a "Minecraft Mario" mode to where you can build 3D levels and post them online for others to play, I would have no problem as long as I get the main 3D platforming experience from them.

I always did like the idea of porting Super Mario Maker to the NX.

The problem is, how would it exactly work? All signs point to the NX not having a second screen to work with. And without a second screen, where would the touch screen (which made SMM possible to work) go?
Well, it could just use an iPhone/Android or tablet as a second screen. This is a way to help bring casuals in by saying "you can use your phone for Super Mario Maker!"

If a "new kind of Mario" just means a Mario without Koopalings I'd already be satisfied. I really don't know what Nintendo is thinking by forcing them into every single Mario game these days. It makes them all feel the same.

Remember when we all wanted them back? Also, kill Boom-Boom too.

Darryl

Banned
If it's another mode then I'm fine with it, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 is probably my favorite game of all time and I would love a sequel to that to where it's complete huge open galaxy to maybe where you fly around in a spaceship literally controlling it. Or I would love a mix up Super Mario 3D World and Mario 64 where you have a huge Mushroom Kingdom or a new kingdom to explore and go to open levels to collect stars either by yourself or with up to 4 players.

If they want to do a "Minecraft Mario" mode to where you can build 3D levels and post them online for others to play, I would have no problem as long as I get the main 3D platforming experience from them.

Well, it could just use an iPhone/Android or tablet as a second screen. This is a way to help bring casuals in by saying "you can use your phone for Super Mario Maker!"

Well they could still be working on SMG3. They hinted at that before. I just don't think that is what they are referencing here. They can be working on both games pretty easily. I know they pumped out SMG2 pretty fast. When it comes to taking Mario in a bolder direction, I doubt it is GTA style open world or anything silly like that. It doesn't work well with platforming. Builder games, do, however. And Nintendo needs the new generation of kids won over

Well they could still be working on SMG3. They hinted at that before. I just don't think that is what they are referencing here. They can be working on both games pretty easily. I know they pumped out SMG2 pretty fast. When it comes to taking Mario in a bolder direction, I doubt it is GTA style open world or anything silly like that. It doesn't work well with platforming. Builder games, do, however. And Nintendo needs the new generation of kids won over

Super Mario 64 was a great platformer. I think they can do that again, but way bigger in this era. Look, at Yooka Laylee and the praise it's getting. Plus, Nintendo was already asked about a 3D Mario Maker style game and I think they said they don't see that happening for another two generations lol.

I shouldn't say it has to be "open world". It would be an interconnected world.

KingBroly

Banned
Does Mario need shaking up? Like, 2D Mario does, but 3D doesn't.

2D Mario needing a shake-up is why Mario Maker is probably a thing.

3D Mario though, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best gaming experiences money can buy today.

Andyliini

But who would be in charge of the game, as in director or producer? For Super Mario 3D -series, the director was Koichi Hayashida, while Yoshiaki Koizumi was the producer. Super Mario Maker seems to be done by entirely different team.

Koizumi hasn't really produced a game since Super Mario 3D World, so maybe it's his team whose in charge again.

krossj

Mario Universe, contains a 3D mario, mario kart, mario party, mario tennis etc all in one, faux open world allows you to go directly to any game mode or travel to a level/ course. Monetized by regular DLC/ expansion packs, cosmetics and some new amiibo thing.

Darryl

Banned
Super Mario 64 was a great platformer. I think they can do that again, but way bigger in this era. Look, at Yooka Laylee and the praise it's getting. Plus, Nintendo was already asked about a 3D Mario Maker style game and I think they said they don't see that happening for another two generations lol.

I shouldn't say it has to be "open world". It would be an interconnected world.

He basically says in his interview in the OP, in Miyamoto Speak, that they're not doing an open-world game like Zelda. He wouldn't say anything along those lines if it is remotely similar. He also wouldn't be calling it a bold, new Mario if it was just Mario 64 2.0. Sorry to kill the dream, man, but read between the lines here.

Leatherface

VR Mario. The next system has to VR. No way they are missing the boat on this. Except instead of getting an addon, NX will BE VR. I expect Nintendo to go all in with this in a way that will shock and awe.

Top Bottom