• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

Really hope it's not open world. 64 was my least favorite Mario because of the exploration and collection aspects. I love straight platformers, which is why 3D world is my favorite 3D Mario game.

I think what we're most likely going to be seeing is Super Mario 3D World 2 in all but name built around a unique new omnipresent malleable mechanic that informs the game's theming and power-ups.
I honestly feel like EADTokyo isn't very interested in uncomfortably stuffing Banjo-Kazooie into a Mario skin anymore; those days are over, thankfully...hopefully.

:p

I honestly feel like EADTokyo isn't very interested in uncomfortably stuffing Banjo-Kazooie into a Mario skin anymore; those days are over, thankfully...hopefully.

Kinda weird to say considering Mario 64 predated Banjo-Kazooie and also plays really differently..unless you were joking of course.

Kinda weird to say considering Mario 64 predated Banjo-Kazooie and also plays really differently..unless you were joking of course.

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that 64 predates B-K; it's a playful jab at the fact that SM64 was much more interested in being an unorthodox free-roaming 3D collectathon game with repetitive missions and very little platforming than an actual 3D platformer that elegantly and flawlessly translated the fundamentals of it's 2D ancestors into 3D like Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 3D World later would.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Given the name of the Wii U we all kind of expected the obvious Super Mario Universe. ):

This is the worst missed opportunity ever.

Super Mario Twin-Slit Experiment.

Super Mario Wave-Particle Duality.

Super Mario Cluster.

Super Mario Black Hole.

Super Mario Event Horizon.

Super Mario Non-Euclidean Geometry.

Super Mario Multiverse (or Parallel Worlds Theorem).

Super Mario Universe.

Super Mario Dark Energy.

Super Mario Entropic Heat Death of the Univserse-wahoo!

Super Mario Tesseract.

For the upcoming game, they should call it:

Super Mario NXus

Aldric

I, uh, let's start over. Try re-reading my post. You should figure out which games I was obviously referring to when I mentioned the 'two highest rated games ever made developed back to back targeting the traditional 3D Mario audience', for one. I meant to imply that it comes off as just a tad bit entitled when you make the case that 3D Mario's fanbase ought to feel alienated by one deviation from the traditional 3D Mario formula (two if you reeeally want to count 3D Land, although I do believe that that game had a much tighter and more focused, platform-appropriate design than 3D World did)... when that same fanbase arguably had it better during the Wii's tenure than literally any other established Nintendo fanbase.

Maybe you should state things clearly then instead of merely "implying" especially as the conversation was about 3D Land/World and the Galaxy games weren't really targeting the traditional 3D Mario audience but already full of design decisions informed by the desire to placate Mario fans who don't like 3D Mario? This is especially true for Galaxy 2 which is the start of Hayashida's annoying level progression design. Really the last 3D Mario game that scratched that itch of exploration and adventure was the original Galaxy with its classic Mario 64 inspired courses and gameplay (if someone asked me to define what 3D Mario is about l'd show them Buoy Base Galaxy) and far less precision platforming than what most people give it credit for. That was released in 2007, almost a decade ago. You can harp about "entitlement" all you want but it's a legit criticism to be disappointed in the overabundance of the same type of game in the Wii U library and the disappearance of a beloved genre.

Excited they apparently want to shake up the formula with the next game but disappointed and frustrated at possibly having to wait until holiday 2017, was really hoping we'd get it closer to launch. I'm really tired of the cycle that Sunshine started on GC where each new system's 3D Mario title doesn't arrive until the second year. But whatever, as long as Koizumi and Hayashida's boys are working on it I'll be happy.

I've been playing ME:C as well, (it's great, everyone should play it) however Catalyst isn't a true open world due to hardware limitations. You can see the seams where you have to go through a loading zone or you are stuck in another elevator. Nintendo don't have to worry about reaching hardware limitations with Mario so they can make a larger more lived in open world

The design itself is based around being open-world. The end result is that the level design is just nowhere near as tight as it was in the original. And I think that's expected because the original was based around levels. And none of those levels were really that big in terms of being wide open. They essentially funneled you through them but gave you a bunch of options as far as how you'd get through it.

That's why I brought up the Gridnode levels. They take you out of the open-world and into a tightly designed level like the ones in the original game. And I feel that's where the gameplay is really allowed to shine. I find myself just working to get to the next mission because I don't care for running around the open-world at all.

Getting back to Mario, while Sunshine wasn't open-world, the levels themselves are much bigger and more open than any other Mario game. And I feel that's exactly why it's also by far the most polarizing entry in at least the 3D franchise. In some cases you'll see people who feel that FLUDD-less levels are the highlight of that game. And of course those are sectioned off levels that are tightly designed. I'm a huge Mario fan so i'd still be all in if they did make an open-world entry, but i'm definitely of the belief that open-worlds and platformers just don't mix.

Not having a Super Mario 3d World 2 ready for this year or last year was a big mistake.

Seems like it could have been this gen's Super Mario Galaxy 2. Who wouldn't buy the same sort of game again with remixed assets and new content?

I had hoped they had a lot under their sleeves but they have really dropped the ball in the last couple years, and it really does seem like they've got nothing big aside from Zelda and NX, and NX if it's anything like the last several Nintendo hardware releases, is going to release dry and be relatively unsatisfying for a couple years.

I was a little scared the more I thought about it. 3D Mario platformers are already top notch and pretty much every gen Nintendo already changes 3D Mario. Galaxy is like the greatest ever and I don't want them to feel like they need to make some open world Mario without being Mario at its core. I don't have doubts since Nintendo wouldn't do that to their star franchise.

2D Mario is easier to change since it's already on a 2D plane.

jdstorm

Banned
The design itself is based around being open-world. The end result is that the level design is just nowhere near as tight as it was in the original. And I think that's expected because the original was based around levels. And none of those levels were really that big in terms of being wide open. They essentially funneled you through them but gave you a bunch of options as far as how you'd get through it.

That's why I brought up the Gridnode levels. They take you out of the open-world and into a tightly designed level like the ones in the original game. And I feel that's where the gameplay is really allowed to shine. I find myself just working to get to the next mission because I don't care for running around the open-world at all.

Getting back to Mario, while Sunshine wasn't open-world, the levels themselves are much bigger and more open than any other Mario game. And I feel that's exactly why it's also by far the most polarizing entry in at least the 3D franchise. In some cases you'll see people who feel that FLUDD-less levels are the highlight of that game. And of course those are sectioned off levels that are tightly designed. I'm a huge Mario fan so i'd still be all in if they did make an open-world entry, but i'm definitely of the belief that open-worlds and platformers just don't mix.

I think the lack of "Tightness" I don't think is an issue with ME:C, but rather the Bottlenecks caused by what is clearly a hardware limitation. Most Runs have to take you across a specific bridge/grapple point, Or up a certain ladder, or through the transit hub. This forced need to run through enclosed spaces which are essentially hidden loading screens tends to limit your options as you free run around the city. It basically gives you a singular route that you must take at any given moment to keep moving forward. So in a way despite now being open world Mirrors Edge Catalyst feels like it has less Viable routes then its predecessor. Which normally had a few different paths per level. A problem that has been solved in most games by increased hardware capability.

Back to Mario. Nintendo will be allocating a greater amount of resources to a mainline Mario title then most companies will allocate to a platformer. So I wouldn't worry about technical or resource issues stopping Nintendo from making the Mario game that they want to make. I think the trick seems to be fitting 3D world/Land style linear levels togeather in such a way that they combine to form a fantastic an wonderful open world, and not just hiding 3-5 stars in the same general area as a way to reuse assets.

I was a little scared the more I thought about it. 3D Mario platformers are already top notch and pretty much every gen Nintendo already changes 3D Mario. Galaxy is like the greatest ever and I don't want them to feel like they need to make some open world Mario without being Mario at its core. I don't have doubts since Nintendo wouldn't do that to their star franchise.

2D Mario is easier to change since it's already on a 2D plane.

Yeah, a change from the NSMB formula makes me more curious than another style shift for the EAD Tokyo games, anything they put out is going to be gold anyway and are fresh every time whether on a micro or macro level. There's never been a major shakeup in 2D Mario since it started really, unless you count SMB2. I want to see what happens when they apply the Splatoon philosophy to 2D platforming! Make it barely recognizable even, I'd be fine never seeing that NSMB shit ever again.

Raitaro

Mariocraft

This has been my idea / wish as well, but with a twist: a fully open world 3D platforming + building hybrid where you can explore a large Mushroom Kingdom and use the typical varieties of Mario blocks to build stuff in additon to some general things like pipes and girders for instance.

It could be akin to how Dragon Quest Builders blends DQ elements with Minecraft elements to create something uniquely DQ that is also new, which in this example would be a 3D platformer where you don't look for stars but where you try to reconstruct the Mushroom Kingdom after Bowser destroyed large parts of it while you run and jump through it to collect materials or perhaps even suits that enable new building skill sets (like a SMM construction worker suit to build houses or a plumber suit to lay underground pipes).

Mario always had his ties to construction work and plumbing so I think a building inspired game could be the perfect way to reinvigorate the (made slightly unnecessary by the 2D games in some ways) 3D Mario series and simultaneously bring in new players who prefer games with more freedom and social elements. For a title they could simply go with Super Mario 3D Maker.

That said, I'm sure this is not what we'll be actually getting though.

Cosmozone

I'd love to see some modern day like assets as seen in Mario Kart 8 such as the nightly town with the lighthouse or the speedway. Would be a great diversion from the semi-fantasy setting they usually use. That' also what I really liked about Mario Galaxy.

I'd love to see some modern day like assets as seen in Mario Kart 8 such as the nightly town with the lighthouse or the speedway. Would be a great diversion from the semi-fantasy setting they usually use. That' also what I really liked about Mario Galaxy.

i would love to see mario kart 8 universe in a 3d mario.

bumpkin

I was playing Super Mario 64 DS today for the fun of it and that got me thinking, I would buy am HD remake of SM64 in a heartbeat.

It's a bummer that we never got Galaxy 3 on the Wii U. 3D World was neat, but the Galaxy games were way better.

Perhaps they are going back to SM64 formula. Or something close to that. I loved the exploration in that game.

I love 64 but I hope they go for something more open-ended. I'd like a seamless Mushroom Kingdom where I can collect all of the stars in any order without having to go into a level select screen.

Actually, I'd honestly still be okay with jumping into paintings lol.

Ok, since were talking about paintings in SM64, what new method would you want Mario go to to enter levels? Chalkboards like in Chalkzone? Keyholes like in Super Mario World or Kingdom Hearts?

DekuLink

Hey the boxart leaked

mcrhyH3.png

Matbtz

I just found this bit of Miyamoto interview and while it's nothing new, it is interesting to see that 2 years ago he said the same thing about a new Mario.

AP: Mario has been busy on the Wii U with “Super Mario 3D World” last year and now “Mario Kart 8.” Is he taking the next year off? What can we expect from that franchise in the future?
Miyamoto: Since we first created Mario, people have compared him to Mickey Mouse. I’ve always said Mickey Mouse evolved with each evolution in animation. You saw Mickey Mouse each step of the way. From early on, I wanted Mario to be that character in the digital world, so that with each digital evolution, he was there to usher in the next era. I think that maybe when we release the next hardware system, you can look forward to seeing Mario take on a new role or in a new game.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nintendo-confirms-console-powered-amd/#ixzz4CzGEQMWy
The interesting part being Mario in a new role.
Don't know if that was already posted and known by all but anyway.

Top Bottom