• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

KooopaKid

Banned
No Mario game at NX launch? Weird! EAD Tokyo have been quiet for a while now, I thought they would be ready for launch. There's Zelda but still, I'm surprised it seems that far off.

Tratorn

I honestly thought they'd launch with a Mario game to have an additional strong seller besides Zelda. Well, there'll be some other strong title(s) then.

These quotes from Aonuma interviews seem relevant:

Time
As the first fully open-world Nintendo’s worked on, what’s the hardest thing about designing for an open world?

This is definitely the first time we’ve created a game this large. We didn’t know where to start. So it happened to be there was a team that was working on creating a larger world. And this team was a group of younger developers. So we had our old programmers from the Zelda team take a step aside, so we could introduce this new group of programmers.

But then these new, younger developers had no clue about how past Zeldas had been created. The group of new staff actually would ask us, like ‘Well I know that it’s been done, traditionally, in other Zelda titles, but why does it have to be that way?’ And among those questions there were some I just couldn’t answer, that I didn’t know the answer to myself. That was because I just took those things on as a tradition, and I didn’t really know why the tradition existed.

When you think about it, maybe those things really didn’t need to be there in the modern world, those traditions. So I started destroying these traditions I’d inherited in the series one by one. But it’s a process that takes a lot of time. And because we were destroying everything we’d done in the past, and rebuild new ideas from the ground up, that was the hardest thing, and it’s really taken a long time to create the thing I most wanted to create.

Wired
Aonuma recruited “a different set of programmers than I’ve worked with in the past. This is a group of people who have studied triple-A games, and researched and dissected what kind of elements we can add to Nintendo games to create experiences like that.”

In other words, Nintendo is studying where others succeed, deconstructing those games down, and reassembling those elements in a game immediately recognizable as a Nintendo title. Their work will shape games beyond Zelda. “Because of all the efforts that they’ve put in, we were able to create a new base,” Aonuma says, “so I think you’ll start to see different types of games in the future.”

Volotaire

I'm excited but it's expected. Every 2 3D Mario games have focused on a different concept:

- Mario 64/Sunshine
- Galaxy/Galaxy 2
- 3D Land/ 3D World
- New concept NX Mario

So the March release for NX won't really happen, isn't it? They aren't going to release a console without the next Mario announced.

SMG

hhwticrckccghjvjbpnn.gif

Time for a gritty reboot.
Too much colour, this costume should be greyscale.

MCN

Banned
These "new" and "young" people are the best thing to happen to nintendo

Testify.

What we have here is the next generation of Nintendo. The next few years are going to be very, very interesting, especially now they're starting to influence the "main" brands such as Zelda.

Clearly an open world, 3D Mario RPG where a cybernetic bowser has led the world to ruin by kidnapping all the princesses, which caused all the toads to devolve into flesh eating creatures.

Day 1.

Miyamoto is an old soul in a brave new nintendo

Well, he's a Fellow now. Presumably he's not making design decisions on games anymore, or even really looking at them that closely.

I think he is out there to sell the vision of the company, but of course dude is going to want to talk about Mario.

TI82

Banned
I'm glad Miyamoto is getting edged out by the younger folks that have a newer vision. He's done his part but is gladly stepping aside to simply help the new people rather than force.

At least I hope so.

I love 3D Land and World but I do honestly hope they kinda step away from that direction and return to a more 64/Galaxy approach.

While we're at it I really, REALLY want Nintendo to make a new 2D Mario game that doesn't have the word "NEW" in it and has the same amount of care and attention put into its presentation as much as the 3D games. No more bah bah, please.

jett

D-Member
In a year, or two? Shouldn't they know by now that they should launch with a proper full-fledged Mario game?

MCN

Banned
I'm glad Miyamoto is getting edged out by the younger folks that have a newer vision. He's done his part but is gladly stepping aside to simply help the new people rather than force.

At least I hope so.

It's like he's handing over the baton.

Top Bottom