• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

KingBroly

Banned
They could be attempting to retool it. Or, from a marketing perspective, there is no reason to send it out there to get beaten up on. If Tanabe is confident it is actually a good game and does not show well, maybe the best course of action would be to release it and see.

It has a hard release date. It's being sent to die. Thought it'd be big, but it was another case of misreading and not understanding the Metroid fanbase.

Always exciting to see what they do with Mario.
I think they'll go back to a Mario with a bit more of a story element and drama a la Galaxy (1) rather than pure platforming with 3D World. Definitely I would bet that the next 3D Mario will have a hub world where you can mess around in. That's the kind of game people want from a 3D Mario at this point.

Mario walks alone down the waste strewn, rainsoaked, neon-backlit streets of an overpopulated Neo-Mushroom Kingdom. One of the last of his kind in a city that doesn't care. Accused of a cybercrime he didn't commit, and running out of time to find the only man that can prove his innocence: his brother.

"OVERWORLD" is a dark, gritty, action RPG set in an open world of unparalleled player choice. Who will you really become, on your way to redemption? NX Summer 2018.

protonion

JEwBu13.jpg

Ridley327

Come on breh... its time to accept it
I am not under the illusion that Nintendo is hard at work crafting a massive new Metroid game that will be out within two years of the NX launch. However, I am sure that the Federation Force absence means nothing for their plans on what comes next for Metroid, and that they're weathering as much of the storm that the release of the game will bring with as minimal of damage as possible.

3D Mario games are always great, so that's pretty exciting. I'd assume that we're getting it november next year as the big holiday game.
Hope it's not a 3D _____ game. Those are really high quality, but we already have two with a ton to do and I think exploring new gameplay ideas would be better

Ok what kind of Mario is he talking about because their 2d games need a refresh because they became so by the numbers. 3D Mario can stick to the 3D World style and also have another game more in the style of 64.

ChaosXVI

Huh...I kind of figured we'd be seeing the next 3D Mario game alongside the NX whenever they finally unveil the thing. I figured it would come out in May 2017 if the NX release in March is still going to hold.

But whatever, I'm still down either way.

MCN

Banned
I know this is a joke or a dumb troll but within the Super Mario franchise Mario has actually been kidnapped and not playable several times.

I thought we agreed Mario Is Missing didn't happen, as was all just a collective bad dream we all had?

TheJoRu

I'm guessing he's talking about 3D mario. A 2D mario is mandatory for the NX launch.

I have a feeling 2D Mario is taking a break now after Mario Maker, and when it returns it will be quite different from the New Super Mario Bros. series. I personally believe he's talking about a EPD Tokyo 3D Mario project, but similarily the 2D series will need a bit of a reinvention. For launch I think we are more likely to see a port of Mario Maker (however that would work) to lenghen the life of that service than a completely new game.

Oregano

It has a hard release date. It's being sent to die. Thought it'd be big, but it was another case of misreading and not understanding the Metroid fanbase.

You can't completely shit on a game and then act annoyed that they're no minimizing its promotion. Come on man, you can't have it both ways.

Arzehn

Mainline Mario is one of the consistently good things from Nintendo though.

Hopefully it's not like the new kind of Paper Mario...

I really, really dislike the idea of open world 3D platformers.

I think open world is best when traversal is fun and fast and mostly easy. I think platformers work best when traversal is fun and fast and takes skill.I also really, really liked the traversal in Sunset Overdrive, but if you made a linear game with that and called it a platformer, I'd be bored to tears.

KingBroly

Banned
You can't completely shit on a game and then act annoyed that they're no minimizing its promotion. Come on man, you can't have it both ways.

My feeling is moreso that they've given up the fight for it and the series. That not even promoting it is just them saying 'yeah, you'll never be happy, so you get nothing.'

As long as they're done with this 3D World era of confined isometric blandness. I want free-movement gymnastic 64/Sunshine/Galaxy style platforming again.

Beartruck

Super mario multiverse. Platform through the worlds of paper mario, mario and luigi, hotel mario, and mario teaches typing.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
3 ports and a meh selling franchise is a pretty bad launch lineup

Name a better launch.. But technically some of these might be 1.5 updates rather than straight ports. Nintendo will surely have an original concept title at launch alongside whatever sequels or ports they muster for padding.

But....what is the new kind? Let the speculation begin. Just let it be like a traditional 3D platformer and just not like 3D World.

If we get a (truly) open world Mario game, I will pee my pants.

The current Mario design philosophy of "introduce new idea, build on it, mix it up, bin it, rinse and repeat" - which has led to three of the finest platformers of all time - isn't something that's going to work open-world. Even going back to the Mario 64 design philosophy of playgrounds, that only works because the game has tight, compact spaces - Sunshine, though a great game, suffered for levels that were frankly too large and too distracting, and an open-world Mario would just exacerbate that issue.

I'd rather they just stuck to their guns of tight, linear platforming design... but removed the part where you need to keep dipping out of levels to go to a hub world or a level select. People joke about God of War 4 in this thread, but their "long, continous shot" idea? I reckon you could apply that to Mario rather handily.

Top Bottom