• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

Maengun1

So the NX is expected to drop in March '17, and the big Mario game for the NX will *maybe* be ready to be *revealed* 3 months later.

:cry:

LoveCake

"Maybe next E3 we'll be able to share something."

What e3 2017, "maybe"?

I am not sure about Nintendo throwing out titbits all the time, it seems to do more damage with the constant speculating, Nintendo have lost my trust and also the trust of many others and the only way they can gain my trust is to say something and then back it up right away not in a year or so's time, since the NX announcement Nintendo have said very little just the odd tease hear and there, it just seems that they are on the back foot, we need to get into VR as everyone else is doing VR, and then the Neo/Scorpio are announced after Nintendo saying that the NX will be half way between the X1 and PS4 thus today Reggie on NX vs Neo/Scorpio: "For us it's not about specs", "red ocean" , I agree that game-play is king and graphics play second fiddle, but now I am sorry this is all starting to sound very Peter Molyneux'esq :sigh:

Malus

Hmm. I was expecting to reveal that alongside the NX. Heck I was expecting the Zelda blowout to accompany the NX reveal until we got the news about their e3 plans.

I wonder what, if any software will be shown when they reveal NX later this year.

edit: Anyways I'm real excited to get a new kind of Mario. Surprise me Nintendo.

Zakard

Can't wait. The mario galaxy games are among the best. I also really liked 3D land. I am looking forward to "a new kind of mario"

jdstorm

Banned
Open world survival mario game. You can win the game without saving the princess from another castle. ;)

Actually this is big news reading some of the comments, it confirms no Mario for NX launch.

Nah.. It confirms that the NX is getting delayed due to lack of games being ready.

Schnozberry

So the NX is expected to drop in March '17, and the big Mario game for the NX will *maybe* be able to be *revealed* 3 months later.

:cry:

I wouldn't get too worried about it. Nintendo really only shows games early in development when they are in panic mode. Miyamoto is probably being coy. Mario feels like it would be a great headliner for Holiday 2017.

cyba89

Eh, people really expected NX would launch with a new mainline Zelda AND 3D Mario title?
That's like a Playstation having Uncharted and God Of War as launch games.

CO_Andy

MatureMarioPt1.jpg

Sniff.jpg

It's time.

gamerMan

People have been begging for a realistic Mario Brothers since forever. Maybe they could explore the relationship with between Mario and Luigi sort of like Uncharted 4. Here's some early leaked screenshots.

images

Here an in game shot
OqWie1O.jpg

javadoze

Nice. As much as I love the Galaxy and 3D Land/World games, it's time for a new direction.

So I'm guessing even though Miyamoto has mostly "stepped back" from series like Zelda now, he still has a bit of a hand with the Mario games?

Calm Mind

I can't believe people are against the idea of a true sequel to the first 3D Mario game. I've been wanting this game for nearly 20 years.

AdanVC

Mario is my favorite character and franchise ever 5ever so this truly excites me more like Zelda and Metroid combined. And after seeing just how beautiful and exciting the new Zelda looks, I'm totally looking forward to see those kind of changes on the Mario franchise, especially if it's for a 3D Mario game.

AntMurda

Nice. As much as I love the Galaxy and 3D Land/World games, it's time for a new direction.

So I'm guessing even though Miyamoto has mostly "stepped back" from series like Zelda now, he still has a bit of a hand with the Mario games?

Miyamoto stepped away from his position of GM last September. Rightfully so, there are generations of people who deserve to each have a shot.

Seik

Banned
That's kind of upsetting...isn't the NX coming out on March 2017?

I mean, does that mean they won't have an original Mario game for the NX's launch?

Epcott

Normally I'd be bouncing off walls from this news...
But this game will have to be a 3D exploration open-world platforming playground the size of Zelda:BOTW or GTAV's map for me to be excited.

In a way we already got this with Mario maker.

But I do realize that isn't what he means.

3D Mario doesn't sell like Uncharted and I'm sure that's what they would like to see.

Incoming 3D Mario Maker lol

You're right. It usually sells a lot better than Uncharted!

How about a new ip?

At this point I'm not even surprised. They need to play safe.

Yes

Nintendo should stop making Mario games

That is a sane business move

I mean, does that mean they won't have an original Mario game for the NX's launch?

They have a new Zelda at launch. They don't need Mario until Holiday 2017 at the earliest.

DNAbro

How about a new ip?

At this point I'm not even surprised. They need to play safe.

they just released this last year
share_icon.jpg

why would they ever stop making mario games? Mario can be innovative within itself.

Also random guess but Zelda, Smash Port port for NX launch, Pikmin 4 within a month. 3D Mario first big title for Holiday 2017.

Jobbs

Banned
Miyamoto feeling the need to do something new for the sake of doing something new is worrying at this point.

Calm Mind

In a way we already got this with Mario maker.

But I do realize that isn't what he means.

3D Mario doesn't sell like Uncharted and I'm sure that's what they would like to see.

Incoming 3D Mario Maker lol

I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Open world 3D platformer LET'S GO!!!

Ew no, GROSS.
No open-worlds in Mario! There are too many damn open world games as it is this gen, and open-world's don't typically mesh with densely-packed challenging and imaginative obstacle courses.

Hopefully "A new kind of Mario is coming" just means a tightly designed linear 3D platforming game based around a well thought out platforming-friendly novel mechanic (like time manipulation, shrinking/growing, turning into the classical elements, hover boarding, controlling/riding imaginative animals, etc.) that heavily influences the direction of the run&jump level design,- preferably, but not likely- has a new bad guy with a new set of minions, and takes place in a cool new setting that isn't Peach's Mushroom Kingdom.

No open world Mario, I'm sick of this open world trend infecting everything like a contemptible virus.

Nemecyst

I'd like the 3DLand/World pure platforming to continue in some form. So if not Mario, then maybe Donkey Kong. I think the platforming bliss of the Returns games could translate very to that 3D style.

Bakkus

Hopefully this isn't just empty talk. But him offing Koizumi makes me a bit skeptical about the sincerity of this.

Also, how long ago was it he talked about creating a new IP? 2010? If project Giant Robot was what he had in mind when saying that, then he's even more out of touch than I thought.

AdanVC

But it will launch with Zelda BoTW! Zelda on March 2017 and new 3D Mario on holiday 2017... But Miyamoto said that they will talk about it in a year or two :( Hope it doesn't take that long.

TrueBlue

Miyamoto feeling the need to do something new for the sake of doing something new is worrying at this point.

The difference between this and something like Star Fox is that there are many who actively want to see something new from 3D Mario - something that stands on its own apart from 64, the Galaxy games and 3D Land/World.

This sentiment is prevalent on anu thread that focuses on 3D World.

Top Bottom