• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: "A new kind of Mario is coming", announcement possibly next E3

pbayne

I want Mario to be standing on screen for a second then Wario drop kicks from off-screen, turns Mario's hat upside down and say "Fuck it, im the new mascot character and this is my game."

GASP

A NEW kind of Mario?

That means it's not a REAL 3D Mario game!

PASS

(if it turns out that I like the game, then I'll just move the goalposts for what constitutes a 'real' Mario game, so that this game fits neatly therein, but the ones I don't like, don't. Because I'm a douchebag.)

I thought we agreed Mario Is Missing didn't happen, as was all just a collective bad dream we all had?

Ah see I covered my ass there and encapsulated the entire Mario franchise:

Mario is Missing
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Story
Luigi's Mansion
Super Princess Peach
Yoshi's Island DS
Luigi's Mansion 2
NEW Yoshi's Island

If you want to split hairs, Super Mario Bros 2 USA and Super Mario 3D World.

In Mario is Missing, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Princess Peach, Mario has specifically been kidnapped too.

Nothing new for the franchise, spinoffs or not, to have Mario not be playable/not be the main character. I included LM2 and Yoshi's Story because they are direct sequels that don't feature Mario despite also being the first part of their own franchise.

Oregano

My feeling is moreso that they've given up the fight for it and the series. That not even promoting it is just them saying 'yeah, you'll never be happy, so you get nothing.'

I'm not entirely sure you're wrong about them giving up on the franchise but people would be moaning about how completely tone deaf and arrogant Nintendo were if they were still trying to promote it. If they do have a new Metroid in development it'd be for NX so they clearly can't announce it yet. What else are they supposed to do? Cancel it like that embarassing petition wanted them to?

EDIT:

...dead and then revived for remakes only?

Going to release Super Mario All Stars again to combat Crash Remasters.

Koyuga

Whatever it is, please don't make it like that isometric crap in 3D world. That game makes me feel physically ill to play.

BD1

Banned
Launch:
Zelda NX
Smash Bros for NX
Mario Maker
Original Nintendo title

Launch-to-Holiday:
Pikmin 4
Spla2oon

Holiday Window
Retro Game
3D Mario

Josh5890

Mario will be their Christmas 2017 game, I bet.

Though I am curious what they have for launch, since I am betting it is not only Zelda.

Assuming the NX does indeed launch next March, which I really really want to believe, then here is my best guess...

Launch: Zelda and Nintendoland/Wii Sports type game
April/May: Smash Port, and Splatoon 2
Summer: Mario Sports game and Pikmin 4
Fall: Retro Studios and Platformer game

Throw a Nintendo racing game in there that isn't Mario Kart.

I`m also going to assume that Nintendo will have a strong lineup of downloadable games and virtual console games. I could very easily see the next 3D Mario game being a 2018 game. The last three 3D Mario games released a year after their respective console released. Plus Miyamoto didn't 100% confirm that we would see Mario at E3 2017 so that tells me it likely won't be ready for next year.

RomanceDawn

Some time after 3D Worlds release Miyamoto talked about how he felt Mario was getting stale. I've been expecting something different out of the next Mario for a while now. What ever it is I hope it's not just a new power up that functions differently from previous games.

Clearly an MMO.

If the new kind of Mario isn't an NX launch game, I guess Super Mario Maker will be NX's launch Mario? Maybe a remaster of one of the 3D games?

Schnozberry

Mario gets access to a time machine, goes back to fix a mistake from his past but ends up causing a dystopian alternate reality where Peach is an evil authoritarian and he must free Bowser from prison to assist him in repairing the damage to the timestream.

Grand Theft Mario.

Damn, I would love to play in an open-world Mario game. Nintendo has SO much different environments and supporting characters to pull it off.

Vena

I'd imagine that Retro's new IP will be near or at launch to keep the narrative going for new Nintendo.

Kurt

They already told us that the new mario game is sync in time. This matches.

If the game woukd release 2017, why not showing it on the release of nx? Well they have to keep suprises for e3...

PSFan

How is he trolling? Offer people the option to play as Peach or (if not possible due to storyline reasons) Maria (or as a different ethnicity), no one loses anything. That's the fantastic thing about options. Everyone wins.
That said, this is obviously not what Miyamoto is talking about and I'm excited to see where the franchise goes next.

Why not Daisy if Peach can't be used because of storyline?

Neoxon

Yup, the next 3D Mario game won't be at launch. As the others have mentioned, it'll likely be their 2017 holiday game.

Gsnap

That's kind of a shame that we won't see it when they reveal the NX. But it's always nice knowing how close things are. And that it won't be Galaxy 3 or 3D World 2.

FDBK

VR Mario. The NX player is Mario. If you own an NX and play its (pack-in game) Mario title, you are Mario. You will experience how it is when Mario picks up a mushroom, a fire flower, a cat suit, etc. You will experience flying as Cape Mario.

Just my thoughts.

Haines

Banned
In a way we already got this with Mario maker.

But I do realize that isn't what he means.

3D Mario doesn't sell like Uncharted and I'm sure that's what they would like to see.

Incoming 3D Mario Maker lol

"See that mountain there? You can jump over it."

You jest, but I was daydreaming about this the other day. A new Mario game based on the BotW engine. A huge "hub" world to explore--the evolution of the hubs seen in 64, Sunshine and Galaxy--peppered with this game's equivalent to shrines: discreet platforming challenges, a la the 3D Land/World games. The best of all possible worlds.

woopWOOP

This ain't your GRANDPA'S Mario!

Curious to see what ideas the new folks have. Something to look forward to next E3 I suppose!

Top Bottom