• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto "Wii U development requires twice the amount of human resources than before"

no shit

how long are we going to have to hear these excuses from nintendo

Next gen? Nintendo just expanding now will probably not have any effects on the WiiU anymore, at least not in it's early- and midlife.
They fucked up three E3s in a row for the WiiU and this years response to the abysmal sales are last gen- and 3DS leftovers with minor HD makeover. Poor performance and more excuses will remain for quite a while. Some defend Iwata for the Wii/DS success, but the problems of the WiiU clearly already root in the last gen with apparently no planing for the future. He and the current higher ups need to be replaced asap so this kind of shit doesn't happen again. Because despite his infinite apologies, Iwata obviously doesn't learn shit from his mistakes.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I wouldn't put Nintendo and agile in the same sentence. I wonder what aproach do they use anyways..

Multi leveled waterfalls. Each level is when Miyamoto flips developers desks and says start over.

Yawnier

Banned
I suspect it's worse than that. They probably aren't open to using 3rd party toolchains, so they are literally reinventing the wheel in software. I think this is why western developers flourished with Xbox 360...they knew how to develop code from PC development experience.

Sony completely learned their lesson here. They went with PC hardware, standard architecture. Should be crazy straightforward to develop for.

Well, as Keighley said it himself during E3 week (or was it somebody else?), but Nintendo do live and stay inside their own bubble when it comes down to stuff like that. So yeah, doesn't surprise me now.

Servbot24

Banned
YnmJCA3.jpg

At least Nintendo uses the excuse to explain delays, not cut features.

Yup. I don't mind waiting a few years to buy a Wii U.

1) Nintendo has a highly insular, secretive, tight-knit development ecosystem with 100% proprietary tools and engines

2) Miyamoto is old and he admits to not actively playing other video games

3) Nintendo admits to not taking their competition seriously

What do you get when you let that build up for years and years? A bunch of whining and a host of problems.

Skyward Sword was almost 2 years ago and that was pretty much the last thing that came out on the Wii. What were they doing since then?

jkanownik

If only companies had people in a position to make plans for the future of the company and proactively take actions to prepare the company for the future.

People have been asking what value a board of directors and CEO have. Here is a case when you can clearly see what happens when they don't do their job effectively.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
On the one hand, it took them 6/7 months longer than planned to be ready. On the other hand, they now seem ready. I'm getting Pikmin 3 in < 3 weeks, and one or two games each month till the end of the year.

You know, I really like Nintendo, and I like my Wii U, but they deserve to be hurt (economically speaking) hard this generation for being so foolish and short-sighted. I'd hate it if they go out of business (and I don't see that happening in any foreseeable future), but I think they need a shake up, and maybe failing this generation will get them there.

How did they not use some of the time during the Wii's "layover period" to ramp up to the next, inevitably HD, console?

They could have instituted a Google-like 1/5 time to allow developers time to learn about HD development one day a week (or the equivalent amount of time spread across the work week).

Hopefully this means the next batch of games will really look next-gen, as so far many of Nintendo's IPs like Pikmin, NSMB, SM3DW and DKC:TF look like only slightly better than Wii games running in HD.

Kucan

Well, it would explain why the Wii was almost abandoned for it's last 2 years...that HD learning curve struggling with the Wii U's launch titles plus trying to get the 3DS back on track really drained their manpower.

Is everyone posting in this thread thinking that this is the first time Nintendo has acknowledged this issue?

It's old news. Nothing like an excuse to spout off witty comments like 'welcome to 2006' for the millionth time.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen most of you already post your 'thoughts' on the issue.

For the record, you are free to do so again and again, I just don't understand why you want to.

Yawnier

Banned
Skyward Sword was almost 2 years ago and that was pretty much the last thing that came out on the Wii. What were doing since then?

I think most of us are wondering the same thing as you here. They surely weren't using all that manpower of theirs for solely 3DS titles though, right?

They just operate in such a bubble that it's frustrating for us outside of it. How did they not anticipate this well in advance? It's like they don't even pay attention to things going on outside the bubble.

It's becoming increasingly clear that they thought they could just slap the Wii name on a new box and it would sell itself. They probably honestly believed the Wii name had as much cache as iPhone or iPad. A bad combination of incompetence and hubris.

BigDug13

Good thing you made a bucket load of money sitting this effect out last gen so you could hire more developers, and left everyone on Wii out to dry for the last few years while you were getting a head start on Wii U projects.

Right?

Nope, they were too busy cranking out games on the 3DS to ensure its victory and forgot to dedicate enough resources to Wii-U games. Hell, I bet even that new 3D Mario game was originally a 3DS title.

Heyt

Banned
They did nothing during the Wii era to get ready to shift to a more demanding way of making games that is standard today unless you're an indie. They understimated how hard it was to make HD games? they didn't saw how the other japanese companies struggled to get into that or something?

They really need that extra headquarters building finished and operative if they want to keep a steady flow of games, wich they are going to need if third party support continues to decrease.

Waaghals

They say they might have "underestimated" the HR-cost.
No they haven't. There was no need to "estimate" anything in the first place. The whole industry has been an HD development woes case study for the last decade.

And only twice the amount of resources? I believed there were more....
Somebody is getting a surprise.

DaBoss

They seem to have underestimated HD development greatly.

]They did nothing during the Wii era[/b] to get ready to shift to a more demanding way of making games that is standard today unless you're an indie. They understimated how hard it was to make HD games? they didn't saw how the other japanese companies struggled to get into that or something?

They really need that extra headquarters building finished and operative if they want to keep a steady flow of games, wich they are going to need if third party support continues to decrease.

That's bullshit, they've been hiring a lot since 2009 IIRC, but the one thing was that it wasn't enough. They underestimated how much they needed to expand.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Übermatik;68326261 said:
:lol at all the comments saying welcome to 2006. Nintendo have been hiring a fuck ton of people leading up to Wii U development, and built a huge new R&D centre. I think they realised this beforehand, Miyamoto's just highlighting how they're not used to it and took time to adapt.

Probably one of the few reasonable posts that took more 5 seconds to come up with instead of LOL Nintendo welcome to 2006, you've been living in a bubble, karma, etc....

However, we are almost out of this phase, and we are also trying to create something unique utilizing an easier development approach called “Nintendo Web Framework.
I think this what we really should be focusing on, what's this Web Framework?

I'll be back to bump this thread in a year when the delays for PS4/Xbone are piling up. Knowing you need to ramp up and actually getting there are two different things.

Social

It almost seems like they were not even going to release an HD console, that's the only way to explain how unprepared they were/are

jmls1121

Banned
They just operate in such a bubble that it's frustrating for us outside of it. How did they not anticipate this well in advance? It's like they don't even pay attention to things going on outside the bubble.

Its the eternal trade off with Nintendo. They will stay unique by ignoring the industry, but then they won't follow others on great ideas as well.

Yado

Skyward Sword was almost 2 years ago and that was pretty much the last thing that came out on the Wii. What were doing since then?

Working on the 3DS?

After reading the full article, Iwata has a way of sidestepping questions when he knows they're about something Nintendo is failing in. Like when he was asked about the lack of online connectivity in their games and started talking about Miiverse, lol telling someone you cleared a level in a game is nowhere near as much fun as playing it with them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In the West and bigger Japanese publishers, by the end of this gen they went to about 4x the team size versus the PS2, so I suspect some of those Nintendo teams might still grow.

spookyfish

Nintendo had their own version of that FF13 bullshit.

Remember the whole "rendering Peach was too difficult for NSMB, so we had to use two identical Toads" fiasco?

Oh man. I never heard that!

Only response to that, Nintendo being Nintendo, is "Sure."

Serious questions:

Is twice the mount as before to mean twice as costly as Wii development?

And how does that related to PS360 development?

And of course, PS4 development.

gogogow

Oh my fucking god. Reminds me of ff13s "hd cities are hard" welcome to 06 Nintendo.

Not really, X has cities and is a huge open world RPG. Square Enix was just plain incompetent. FF7 remake would take 10+ years according to them. Nintendo is just late to the game in regards to HD development and they are acknowledging it. Looking at their software release, seems to me they're about 6 months behind schedule. Pikmin in July instead of early 2012, MK8 spring 2014 instead of late 2013 etc.

Tripon

We've known about it since GDC:

Iwata goes on to mention that they're using it to help organize and pick the games that will appear on the Wii U eShop. Makes me think its Nintendo's try on Steam Greenlight. Which makes me go uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Burai

shitonmychest57
Nope, they were too busy cranking out games on the 3DS to ensure its victory and forgot to dedicate enough resources to Wii-U games. Hell, I bet even that new 3D Mario game was originally a 3DS title.

They said they prototyped multiplayer in 3D Land. I presume it got cut to get it out in time.

They did nothing during the Wii era to get ready to shift to a more demanding way of making games that is standard today unless you're an indie. They understimated how hard it was to make HD games? they didn't saw how the other japanese companies struggled to get into that or something?

When Nintendo say "we don't pay attention to what other companies are doing", it's not rhetoric. They literally have no idea what's happening outside of their bubble. They've let online gaming and HD development pass them by and now it's biting them in the ass.

d[-_-]b

Banned
We've known about it since GDC:

Awesome thanks dude...
The Nintendo Web Framework is a development environment based on WebKit technologies, supporting application development on the Wii U system using HTML5, JavaScript, and CSS.
Lol well that's not going to make games, Nintendo d00med :O.

Top Bottom