• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki considering Dark Souls 3 to be the "big closure on the series"

The willingness to finish something and move on to something new should be admired, as it is really rare in not just video games but many forms of entertainment.

I look forward to whatever From Software decides to make next.

Hagi

I have to laugh a little when he says they are moving away from a franchise people want them to go back to another in Armored Core. Personally it would be nice to see a new IP from Miyazaki and I hope that's what From end up doing.

Kyoufu

Wouldn't mind if Miyazaki made a King's Field VR game. That would be neat.

But yeah, I need a new Armored Core game!

Retsudo

Even though i adore Souls games, i'm okay with this news. Hopefully whatever they do next is just as good.

As plenty have said, a new Armored Core would be sweet.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Good, now go make a new Kings Field for the PSVR with that wonderfully twisted mind of yours. lol

Roshin

SpaceBorne.

It's sad, but sure, I can see Dark Souls ending with DS3 (and some DLC), but BloodBorne has at least another game in it and another story to tell.

Ride Amygdala to the moon.

Yes, ride Amygdala to the blood moon, face the eldritch horrors out of time and space!

Breakage

It's refreshing to see a developer think like this. A lot of franchises would have maintained a better legacy had things been wrapped up earlier.

Thank god.

The series has fallen off since Dark Souls.

Eh, we've only had 2 in the Souls series and Bloodborne, which is clearly its own series, is brilliant.

For all we know, 3 could be the best in the series.

I am all for new things though, especially with Miyazaki involved.

Gbraga

I have to laugh a little when he says they are moving away from a franchise people want them to go back to another in Armored Core. Personally it would be nice to see a new IP from Miyazaki and I hope that's what From end up doing.

Agreed.

bigjig

As much as I love Souls games, good for him for realizing this. A Miyazaki that is hungry to create something new is the best Miyazaki

Lernaean

Banned
good now go back to Armored Core

Oh damn forgot about Armoured Core...yes a new one please :)

Armored Core please and thank you.

BACK 2 ARMORED COREEEEE

Yeah, they finally had a breakthrough after being in the industry for generations, simply because Miyazaki gave them a good recipe for RPGs, and they will waste the opportunity so they can make a mecha game only 1/10th of the Souls current fanbase will play.
They may make a gothic scifi RPG. Hell, they may even make an anime RPG, but i don't see them wasting Miyazaki, or any key Souls staff to make an AC.

Sesha

Good. Dragging out their franchises might result in franchise fatigue. Nothing should last forever. After hearing the rumors, the thought of getting Dark Souls 3 so soon after 2 and Bloodborne made me lose interest. But the changes they are making seem great, and getting a proper big budget Dark Souls sequel by Miyazaki is a good note to end it on. Bloodborne shows that they are capable of launching successful new IPs.

kadotsu

Banned
Since the series homages Berserk the best way to end it would be for the character to board a ship after the final battle.

Mecha

Good, I haven't been the biggest fan of FROM's output recently. They had much more variety before, so I hope they go back to that.

Kyuur

Miyazaki: We want to create something new.

Fans: ARMOREDCOREARMOREDCORESEQUELSTOOLDERGAMESSEQUELSTOOLDERGAMES

I_don't_believe_you.gif

The series has brought the company back into spotlight for the first time since PS1 days both critically and probably economically. And even compared to PS1 days, they are likely a much bigger name now, solely because of this series. ,,At worst" it will continue with Souls-likes in the vein of Bloodborne, which I much prefer anyway.

Good decision and hopefully we can see the talent from the studio put in other games and genres. Maybe in 10 years we may get another souls game and it will refreshing

Mman235

I glad they're able to decide when to end it; if they bring all stuff from the first two games+DLC together and provide a satisfying climax to the Dark Souls world then this could inadvertently (given it obviously wasn't intended at it's origin) end up as one of the best gaming trilogies of all time.

Probably for the best-go back to AC or hell a new franchise-

We will still be blessed with 2 'LTTP:Souls' threads a month until the end of time-so the legend will never die.

*shudders

RK9039

Sad but completely understandable. I've loved this series since Demon's, I think it's come a long way, but please bring back the Meat Cleaver.

Oh yeah, a Berserk game needs to happen.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's a good idea to at least give the series a rest after 3. Demon's, Dark, Dark 2, Bloodborne and Dark 3 is 5 games in 7 years. A hiatus is for the best, the biggest franchises can easily endure a few years off.

catbrush

He says they're going to "aggressively make new things" and lots of people assume Armored Core? What part of new didn't you understand?

Yeah, they finally had a breakthrough after being in the industry for generations, simply because Miyazaki gave them a good recipe for RPGs, and they will waste the opportunity so they can make a mecha game only 1/10th of the Souls current fanbase will play.
They may make a gothic scifi RPG. Hell, they may even make an anime RPG, but i don't see them wasting Miyazaki, or any key Souls staff to make an AC.
So abandon the Armored Core fanbase that has been buying their games since 1997?

Ok.

Geist-

Didn't Miyazaki say a few months ago that he wanted to make a sci-fi game next (traditional or mecha)? I'm kind of excited to see something like that with DS mechanics.

Gbraga

So abandon the Armored Core fanbase that has been buying their games since 1997?

Ok.

Is Miyazaki needed for Armored Core, though? I'd rather have the man who I consider to be the best game designer in the business working on something completely new.

If they're really abandoning Soulsborne, they can have one of the teams work on Armored Core, and Miyazaki and his team making this entirely new IP.

Everyone wins.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd like to see a horror game by them tbh, they have some twisted enemy designers at the studio and they could create something really spooky.

Shahed

I think the series could use a break definitely. Like I'm going to get Dark Souls III, but having played Bloodborne and DSII: SotFS in the last year I'm in no rush. Some time away whets the appetite for a new game. See the gap between new Zelda or GTA

Top Bottom