• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki considering Dark Souls 3 to be the "big closure on the series"

ZoddGutts

To the people demanding a new AC or different setting for a Souls-esque game, I don't think that's what he means by trying something new...

Heh was about to say that. Though FromSoft is big enough to make more than one game at the same time, Miyazaki and his own team goes to make whatever new he wants to make while another team works on AC hopefully. Damn, I want a PC version of an AC game, stable framerate AC game at 60fps would be ace.

Thank god.

The series has fallen off since Dark Souls.

No it hasn't.

Anyways, I figured they weren't going to milk the series based on the way Miyazaki talked about it in the past. Whatever they decide to make next I'll look forward to it (especially if it's King's Field).

Mifec

Well whatever your next IP is, release it on PC so people don't have to suffer 30fps and frame pacing, ty and good luck.

convo

There is at least one Bloodborne sequel in there for sure at least, but i can't wait for something new. Although i'd like it to contain big robots at least in some capacity.

Nephtes

Damnit!
If there's one series that I'd actually want to be annualized for my yearly enjoyment, it's Dark Souls... :p

From Software's other series (Armored Core, King's Field, etc.) haven't historically interested me.

120v

skeptical they'll really retire their banner franchise, but on the other hand bloodborne proved you don't really need the "dark souls" name for success

I was kind of wondering the other day where the story could go from DS3, since that's likely when the cycle breaks. DS4 would have a completely different story

I respect that, it's good to let a series end on a high note instead of letting it go on and on until it gets stale and boring. At least they're aware that the Souls series would end up being the same thing over and over with enough time.

Though some of my favorite games of all time, I'm OK with this. They did King's Field, Armor Core and Souls; I'd love to see what they can do next. Didn't they also do Tenchu? That seems like a series that just dropped off and never got the perfect game I'd be ok for them to go back to that, otherwise I'm game to see something new.

ironcreed

Banned
A return to King's Field would be most welcome as well. It deserves it and would no doubt stand a better chance of getting the appreciation it deserves.

Camwi

Good. I personally think Dark Souls has kind of run its course by now, I want a new Otogi or something else.

Fuck that, every Souls game has been amazing and I want more amazing shot into my veins over and over again.

Though as long as From Software continues making great games, even if they don't have "Souls" in the name, I guess I can't complain.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
idontbelieveyou.gif

I'm tired of the formula, I do hope he gets to work on something else, something new.

Good. I hate it when franchises get drawn out artificially and there's never any closure. Hopefully they'll still make souls-style games though, but maybe take a break and try something different for a while. The next Souls game should really break away from some of the repeats we've seen in all of them. It's fun to see some parallels to the older games, but when half the things hark back to a very similar situation in a previous game, it starts to get old.

Too many games in very few years to be honest, from a developer point of view, I can see how they could be "burned" and wanting to try something different.

Nar screw that, keep giving me them! I want more!

This must be what it feels like to be a Assassin's Creed fan lol, I honestly could play a Souls game every year. Heck, I even enjoy the Fake Souls games like Lords of the Fallen! :D

Really refreshing to hear, but they need to follow through on that promise. There's so much more From Software can do. They can return to any of their older franchises...

Armored Core
Ninja Blade
King's Field
Murakamo
Kuon
Echo Night
Lost Kingdoms

And the crown jewel...

METAL WOLF

Ok with Dark Souls going, but I'd still be psyched for another BB or Demon's Souls.

As others have said though, another AC or a Space Souls would be most welcome.

ironcreed

Banned
Nar screw that, keep giving me them! I want more!

This must be what it feels like to be a Assassin's Creed fan lol, I honestly could play a Souls game every year. Heck, I even enjoy the Fake Souls games like Lords of the Fallen! :D

Lords is indeed a fun game. Now I can't wait to see how Nioh turns out. It looks absolutely killer.

YJgXb0c.gif

SU8Goph.gif

Prototype

I think this is great and a smart, forward looking move, on his part.

Looking forward to DS3 and whatever else they come out with this gen.

WGMBY

I'm fine with this. Let the series rest for a few years, then come back with a new take on it. I'd rather there be fewer games of high quality than a bunch of samey games cranked out every few years.

I'm just hope that whatever they make next has custom characters and builds. The one thing better than From gameplay is From playstyle diversity. They've always pulled it off so well, even before Miyazaki with the AC games.

Had no idea From made Tenchu, loved that game as a kid (makes sense though, it was SO hard for me back then.)

They actually had very little to do with Tenchu, aside from developing PSP ports and publishing a title or two. Most of the series was developed by Acquire and K2.

From Software was responsible for developing the god awful XBL Arcade Tenchu though.

SomTervo

Again, From Software was not directly involved with developing any Tenchu games. Just ports.

Sorry.

Edit: might they have the license/rights after that XBLA game?

If they made that game and ports, surely there's some licensing control there. And Tenchu would seem like a no-brainer after the oft-ninja-like gameplay of Souls/Bloodborne.

Like everyone else, I agree that DS3 should be the last.

I actually think DS3 is one Souls game too many.

Hopefully his next is new franchise or a revisit of an old classic from their stable.

Gorillaz

Going out on a bang

Surprised to see them wanting to end it but at the same time not really.

I can see some of the mechanics live on in further IP

Top Bottom