• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki considering Dark Souls 3 to be the "big closure on the series"

Please new RPG IP a la Bloodborne. They are in a unique situation where people will continue to eat up whatever they are putting out. BB sold well. There is no real reason to keep doing sequels.

Based on what he's said before about having "Souls" visit different settings like they did with Bloodborne or like he mentioned before with mechs, I wouldn't be surprised if Souls style was their foundation while they build around it.

I_don't_believe_you.gif

The series has brought the company back into spotlight for the first time since PS1 days both critically and probably economically. And even compared to PS1 days, they are likely a much bigger name now, solely because of this series. ,,At worst" it will continue with Souls-likes in the vein of Bloodborne, which I much prefer anyway.

This is my opinion as well. Soul-likes will continue to be made by From, just not named Dark Souls. For now.

Sotha_Sil

I already felt the burnout on the Souls style with Bloodborne, and I even skipped Scholar of the First Sin.

This game won't be a day 1 for me, probably something I wait a while on before going back one last time.

While i'm definitely sad to see one of my favorite game series ending, i think it's also good that they give the series or maybe even the gameplay a little rest. The Souls games and Bloodborne (to a lesser extend) have a high replayability, especially with all the DLC chapters.

But i hope that there's going to be another Souls/Bloodborne game from FROM, maybe in a couple of years or with the next console generation!

Harmen

Good choice! I think their design philosophy and current marketposition allows them to create interesting new titles in the future. Something scifi would be ace.

jay

Weird how the man who makes the games is concerned about overexposure yet a lot of the fans cry murder if you suggest it's a concern.

ironcreed

Banned
It's sad on one hand, but I know that the same sort of template will more than likely exist in a new series. Also in Bloodborne over on PS4.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's incredible how dark souls put from software on the map for so many people.
They used to just be the dudes that made armored core to most people, and it felt like so few even knew the company by name, and now Miyazaki is known by name!

I wish them the best of luck, they're got everyone's gaze on them now so no matter what they make they can slap a "from the makers of dark souls" and people will be fixated on it.

Seriously what a boon for an dev which used to be considered mid tier at best less than 8 years ago.

I think that's the right decision, I'm still looking forward to playing Dark Souls 3 but I'd be lying if I said I was AS excited for it as I was for Dark Souls 1. My hype has definitely waned as more Souls games have been released.

Looking forward to see what they do next.

Griss

Does anyone actually believe this?

I thought it was a contractual requirement of people making a game with a '3' at the end of it to say 'This is the last one guys, no for real, if you like this series you'd better buy this game because this is IT!'

They can't abandon something so successful. But if they somehow manage it, let's hope DS3 is them going out on a high note, because I think Bloodborne is going to be close to impossible to top. I started Dark Souls 2 last night on PS4 and it is already really, really hard to go back to.

DarkFlame

Banned
I don't think they will strafe away from the Souls formula,they will just end the franchise as a story/concept/lore thing and move on to the next spiritual successor of the soul series.

I mean after their huge success at dark fantasy themes,i can't believe they'll go for something else entirely.

Most probably they'll make a new game in a horror/dark fantasy setting and they'll try new things from a gameplay/mechanics perspective.

The art direction will be influenced imo from all their previous Souls like games,cause this is what they do best

Heartfyre

No more Dark Souls, I'm okay with, but I really think we need another Bloodborne. I'm happy From are moving on to new things, though, as they've pretty much been a Souls Factory since the end of the last decade, at least as far as the West is concerned. Still, it's a type of game no one else makes, really, so I hope it's not a permanent departure from the playstyle.

Ryan_MSF

Bloodborne was the game that fully brought me back into gaming after a solid few years of feeling somewhat disillusioned with the piss poor quality of most big AAA titles released nowadays. As much as this news is somewhat bittersweet I'm just happy that Miyazaki-san will still be making games, and hopefully some exciting new IPs.

UrbanRats

Good move, i'm starting to feel fatigue and the formula is getting stale.

I don't want them to stop doing them, but at least take a couple of years off.

Lynx_7

Other From teams can work on Armored Core if they wish to, but I want Miyazaki and his team to focus on a completely new IP. I want to see what he's capable of doing outside of the Soulsborne framework.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Miyazaki: We want to create something new.

Fans: ARMOREDCOREARMOREDCORESEQUELSTOOLDERGAMESSEQUELSTOOLDERGAMES
lol ikr

So conflicted... I could play these games forever, but I certainly don't want them to become the typical homogenized AAA franchise bullshit.
Me neither but I have no worries about that. So far they haven't disappointed and there is no indication that the games would become just like every soulless AAA game.

I'd be sad at no more Souls. I'm ok with a hiatus while they try new IPs of course but maybe next gen they could return with a new Souls game or something.

I think I still want them to make infinitely replayable RPGs too.

But right now? Pah on Souls fatigue, no such thing. Bring more Souls!

Garlador

Bring on more Shadow Tower.
198605_42873_front.jpg

Top Bottom