• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G (3DS) Update Thread

watershed

Banned
Here's a little bit of chat from Christian Svensson talking about MH in the west.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/05/what-makes-monster-hunter-click-in-the-west/

Specifically he talks about how Tri helped to grow the brand and how important online play is for western markets. Definitely sounds like TriG will have online when released in the west.

I think Capcom will move quickly to put a MH game on the Vita because of its networking features and the opportunity to grow the brand on new hardware as opposed to another game on the psp which would limit their international release options.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I agree, the ones for [platform of choice] rules and the ones for [platform of non-choice] generally sucks.
Yeah, because Tenbatsu is totally a poster that only got into MonHun when it got on Nintendo consoles and never spoke of the series before that...

Tenbatsu

Agreed
and 3G is going to be super awesome because it's based on Tri.

only good MH's are on Nintendo hardware, any clown knows that Jonnyram! tsk tsk.

Nintendo hardware - it's what plants crave. (tm)

I know that you're objection to portable might not be to do with any of that, however, i've seen other people argue that Tri is great but other MH (like MH3rdP) are rubbish. I'm sorry - if you can't enjoy 3rdP but are expecting to love 3G then .... yeah... that's bollox.
It's just the difficulty really.

Anw I will test out 3G in the next few days and if it's in the same league as MHP3rd, it will fall into my 'it sucks' category.

Jonnyram

Yeah, because Tenbatsu is totally a poster that only got into MonHun when it got on Nintendo consoles and never spoke of the series before that...
It's still a matter of personal taste. It's like saying all the Kitase FFs suck but the the Sakaguchi ones are amazing.

Alexios

It's still a matter of personal taste. It's like saying all the Kitase FFs suck but the the Sakaguchi ones are amazing.
Um, of course it's about personal taste, he's only telling us what he thinks, not what you think or what God thinks, which is personal taste that has nothing to do with the platform fanboyism your previous post described and painted as something completely independent to the actual games and what he considers to be an actual quality title...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Its an iOS title.

Forgot about this gem
hU90e.gif

Tenbatsu

I guess we better stop it here. I got no console preference when it comes to MH except IOS maybe. My favourite MH is still the original Monster Hunter/G on the PS2 :p

And not a fuck will be given that day.
Yeah, why care the fuck on what I think. Just enjoy your game.

Jonnyram

Um, of course it's about personal taste, he's only telling us what he thinks, not what you think or what God thinks, which is personal taste that has nothing to do with the platform fanboyism your previous post described and painted as something completely independent to the actual game and what he considers to be an actual quality title...
Sure.

gkryhewy

I think Capcom will move quickly to put a MH game on the Vita because of its networking features and the opportunity to grow the brand on new hardware as opposed to another game on the psp which would limit their international release options.
Based on what? Vita's western sales are very likely to be very poor.

What exactly do you think the difference between Tri and Portable 3rd was in the first place?

New village (and everything this entails)
No water missions
Airou system instead of Cha-Cha system

These are all huge changes which are ALL being reverted to the Tri system.

The only changes going the other way are all weapons and some monsters ripped from 3rd back into Tri.

john tv

I love how people who haven't played Tri feel qualified to comment on its quality vs P3! :)

Anyone who has played both extensively will tell you Tri is the better game. The big question is whether Tri G is going to be more challenging/balanced (like Tri) or more beginner-level/nerfed (like P3). I fear it's the latter, but seeing as how it's a G game, and they seem to be treating it as such content-wise, I'm holding out hope that they'll keep the challenge level higher. At least once you get to the G-rank quests, anyway?

We'll know in a few days!

Alexios

Vita's western sales are very likely to be very poor.
Based on what?

Not that I agree with his post, they're already doing what he thinks they'd work on the Vita for with the 3DS games planned... Not that it excludes Vita games either.

I love how people who haven't played Tri feel qualified to comment on its quality vs P3! :)

Anyone who has played both extensively will tell you Tri is the better game. The big question is whether Tri G is going to be more challenging/balanced (like Tri) or more beginner-level/nerfed (like P3). I fear it's the latter, but seeing as how it's a G game, and they seem to be treating it as such content-wise, I'm holding out hope that they'll keep the challenge level higher. At least once you get to the G-rank quests, anyway?

I hope it's like Tri but to me it seems to be based on P3rd, having almost (?) all the monsters, reverted bowgun changes, and other things I forget. I hope I'm wrong.

Tenbatsu

I wonder how am I going to play with you and Sprsk again dam it :(

udivision

How successful has MonHun Frontier been?
Moreso than the Wii one I would assume, but I don't know.
It's on PC, it should have the best online and most content, but I don't know if that's the case.

Alexios

How successful has MonHun Frontier been?
Moreso than the Wii one I would assume, but I don't know.
It's on PC, it should have the best online and most content, but I don't know if that's the case.
It has most content since it combines the first few games and has had like 10 expansions since. That doesn't mean it's the best though, it has none of the Tri improvements yet so it probably still feels archaic compared to other games since that. I dunno how the game balance is tuned for its MMO style approach either.

udivision

It has most content since it combines the first few games and has had like 10 expansions since. Doesn't mean it's the best MonHun though, has none of the Tri improvements either...

On one hand, a PC game would make the most sense. You can get new monsters and updates and things to do without having outright buy a new game, and they way MH has been going around, you might even have to buy a new system . But it doesn't seem like Frontier is very popular, guess because it never got a western release for one.

Alexios

You could be getting new monsters and updates on any console/portable since and including the PSP too, if Capcom find it more profitable to sell whole new expandalones and limit updates to just a few quests and little else is a whole other matter. Perhaps (for 4?) they'll end up doing a mix, like SFIV -> SSFIV -> SSFIVAE. Or whatever.

v - cop out but hey, 50% chance you're right!

Man, hope we get the last few missing 3rd monsters in this game. Never played it, so they'll be all new for me.

At this point all we're missing are the Tigrexes (probably going to be in, but since they weren't revealed along with the other P3rd maybe not?) and the three Elder Dragons (one of the already-revealed armors used Akantor parts in P3rd, so we're likely going to get them).

The issue with Frontier right now is that the engine is based off of MH2, which is very very outdated compared to what Tri has brought to the table. I don't know if Capcom has the resources to port over 3rd gen chances to the massive amount of content that Frontier currently possesses. K-Frontier folded a few months ago, presumably because it wasn't making much money (it was also the only regional Frontier game that didn't require a subscription fee).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Originally Posted by john tv:

Huh? I played Tri in Japanese (for not long) and in English for a fair bit longer. The point isnt which is better - its the idea that the portable versions are some how trash is the sticking point.

john tv

Huh? I played Tri in Japanese (for not long) and in English for a fair bit longer. The point isnt which is better - its the idea that the portable versions are some how trash is the sticking point.

Oh no, Portable 3rd definitely not trash IMO - wouldn't have played it for 150 hours if so. :D Just tapers off more quickly than I'd have liked because it's not challenging enough.

TBH was kinda hoping for a P3G to solve that, but it sounds like Tri G is all we're gonna get for now...

Kyon

Banned
I find it odd that everytime a MH game is coming out the people who have never played the game start entering the threads and try to turn this into console war stuff? For the few of us who are REAL MH fans/players who's gonna import it? :D can't wait for my white MH 3DS *-*

DCharlie

I have a feeling we'll not get MH3rdG - that might look a bit off. I think they'll go 4Th (and multiply ;))

I find it odd that everytime a MH game is coming out the people who have never played the game start entering the threads and try to turn this into console war stuff? For the few of us who are REAL MH fans/players who's gonna import it? :D can't wait for my white MH 3DS *-*
I think everyone discussing the game in here has -at least- 2000 hrs plus over the various versions!

watershed

Banned
Based on what? Vita's western sales are very likely to be very poor.

Based on the psp being a dead platform in the west and the adhoc style multiplayer not working in the west which the article addresses. With the vita MH would have a chance to ride along with a new platform and one that has better networking features built in.

Kyon

Banned
I have a feeling we'll not get MH3rdG - that might look a bit off. I think they'll go 4Th (and multiply ;))

I think everyone discussing the game in here has -at least- 2000 hrs plus over the various versions!
Not everyone, you can tell by some comments made, but what do i know

Stoked to pick it up on Saturday morning (and then go to work...), enjoyed MH (a little too much at times) since I played the first one at E3 in 2004 ;)

Kyon

Banned
Stoked to pick it up on Saturday morning (and then go to work...), enjoyed MH (a little too much at times) since I played the first one at E3 in 2004 ;)
fffffuuuuuuuuuu i have to wait 2 more weeks! You better post impressions! Big wall of text thanx >_<

Luigiv

New village (and everything this entails)
No water missions
Airou system instead of Cha-Cha system

These are all huge changes which are ALL being reverted to the Tri system.

The only changes going the other way are all weapons and monsters ripped from 3rd back into Tri.
I like how you make it sound like the peripheral little hub that no one gives a damn about is a big game defining feature whilst the equipment, hunting grounds and monsters are a minor brush-under-the-carpet features.

The monsters are easily the most important aspect of a Monster Hunter game and Tri doesn't just borrow a few of them from Portable 3rd, it's almost all of them (the only ones missing are previous gen monsters anyway). On top of that a vast majority of the "new" monsters feature in Tri G are just subspecies of the Portable 3rd bunch, hence furthering their importance in this build.

Tri G is very clearly using both games as a base, taking the best of both and blending them together into one package. That means in some cases, when two features overlap they needed to pick one over the other (and in most cases they went with Tri) but the fact of the matter is most of those features are actually fairly peripheral to the core experience and the meat and veg of the game can easily be defined as an expansion to both.

fffffuuuuuuuuuu i have to wait 2 more weeks! You better post impressions! Big wall of text thanx >_<

Haha, sure. Happy to post my impressions over the weekend.

I like how you make it sound like the peripheral little hub that no one gives a damn about is a big game defining feature whilst the equipment, hunting grounds and monsters are a minor brush-under-the-carpet features.

The monsters are easily the most important aspect of a Monster Hunter game and Tri doesn't just borrow a few of them from Portable 3rd, it's almost all of them (the only ones missing are previous gen monsters anyway). On top of that a vast majority of the "new" monsters feature in Tri G are just subspecies of the Portable 3rd bunch, hence furthering their importance in this build.

Tri G is very clearly using both games as a base, taking the best of both and blending them together into one package. That means in some cases, when two features overlap they needed to pick one over the other (and in most cases they went with Tri) but the fact of the matter is most of those features are actually fairly peripheral to the core experience and the meat and veg of the game can easily be defined as an expansion to both.

I'm not arguing that it is borrowing heavily from 3rdG, but when Capcom is rushed to get the game out (from the sounds of that Iwata asks, they were crazy rushed) it is much easier to use all of your existing assets then to create new ones (barely any new monsters, it looks like). I'm just saying that it seems like (from everything I've seen and read) the base of the game is Tri.

DCharlie

I'm going to wander the streets of Tokyo to see the 10 people who bother to go get it at launch ;)

(i am going to try with all my might to not get it so i don't suffer humiliation at home)

So how much of a downgrade in practical variety is there in bowguns going from Tri to P3rd/TriG? Obviously, the number of possible bowgun combinations in Tri is huge but most combinations aren't really usable (high recoil, high L/R deviation, bad ammo loadouts, etc.). I can't seem to find the relevant stats for each bowgun in P3rd so anybody with bowgun experience in that game willing to shed some light on this?

Here's a little bit of chat from Christian Svensson talking about MH in the west.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/05/what-makes-monster-hunter-click-in-the-west/

Specifically he talks about how Tri helped to grow the brand and how important online play is for western markets. Definitely sounds like TriG will have online when released in the west.

Cool. It sounds like there is hope for a western release and maybe even online. I think Monster Hunter has a ton of potential in the US at least. I think it can appeal to all the WoW and Diablo fans with the lootwhoring stuff and all the anime fans with the gear designs. Not to mention the Sega fans waiting for the next PSO.

Tenbatsu

So how much of a downgrade in practical variety is there in bowguns going from Tri to P3rd/TriG? Obviously, the number of possible bowgun combinations in Tri is huge but most combinations aren't really usable (high recoil, high L/R deviation, bad ammo loadouts, etc.). I can't seem to find the relevant stats for each bowgun in P3rd so anybody with bowgun experience in that game willing to shed some light on this?
In Tri, you need to cancel out the negative aspect of your guns using armor skills combination in order to make things work.

In MHP3 and MHG, bowguns customization is removed.

In Tri, you need to cancel out the negative aspect of your guns using armor skills combination in order to make things work.

In MHP3 and MHG, bowguns customization is removed.
Should I expect the 'preset' guns in P3rd/TriG to be comparable in quality to the best customized guns in Tri? A lot of the better Tri bowgun builds are specialized for one or two shot types. More general guns tend to be less effective since it's unlikely you can fit in all the best armor skills for different types of gunning on a single set.

I guess a lot of my fears are rooted in the horrible bowgun setups found in Tri's arena lol. Bad guns are really bad.

Top Bottom