• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doombear

Yeah honestly I'll be ok if they don't bring back the styles. I was still having fun with MHGen, but it felt a bit ridiculous when I would be able to dodge anything or constantly jump around to mount the monster over and over.

And some of the new weapons just seemed to cover too many bases with their transformations -- kind of made some of the classic weapons feel obsolete. Hope they use World as an opportunity to kind of retool the weapons so each one has a place.

Looks like the only info there is an answer to whether or not Hunter Arts are coming back. - "Brand new title. Brand new gameplay systems in place!" So seems like nope.

yami4ct

Hopefully there'll be a way to limit it to play with friends and it won't be a big deal, unlike DS where randos can come in.

Part of what makes MH work so well online is to be able to join a room or make one with a bunch of randos and the community is usually very nice and you can have a great experience. I would hate to have to lock down my rooms for fear of a random hacker ruining shit.

JP_

Banned
Id rather that be solved by in game armor skills, so it's something you have to actively prepare for.

And instead of something like damage numbers, I would rather have simpler solution where the blood/hitsparks are more intense depending on how weak the area you hit is, with varying levels of intensity depending on percentage of damage you do.

I think showing numbers would just confuse people because of Monster Hunters weirdly complicated damage formulas for every weapon.

Oh yeah, that'd be cool. I guess it's possible that it's actually like that and the armor used in the demo has it.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Well im already sold

Just need a decent release date and im all in.

Graphics look great and game seems faithful, so as a new monster hunter player ( only played 3) ive been waiting a while for this

Doombear

At this point I just hope that the Monster Hunter World presentation happens still. Scheduled for 5:45 on the Playstation Twitch channel. However, there was just a small fire that started on the stage/banner during the Spiderman presentation lol

So who knows what that does to the schedule since it was set to be the last game on the program today I think?

Playsage

I don't need enemy HP bars but I'd really like to know how much damage each of my hits actually do. Like if I'm hitting the monster's chest, is it a weak spot? Is it doing less damage than the head? Etc.

That information feedback for the player is invaluable.
Doesn't the visual and audio feedback from a hit already convey all that information?

Except for the actual damage, obviously

JP_

Banned
Part of what makes MH work so well online is to be able to join a room or make one with a bunch of randos and the community is usually very nice and you can have a great experience. I would hate to have to lock down my rooms for fear of a random hacker ruining shit.

Sure, but at this point you're just being a negative nancy. Worried about hackers on PC? Play on PS4. At least now, playing on PC is even an option.

R0ckman

At this point I just hope that the Monster Hunter World presentation happens still. Scheduled for 5:45 on the Playstation Twitch channel. However, there was just a small fire that started on the stage/banner during the Spiderman presentation lol

So who knows what that does to the schedule since it was set to be the last game on the program today I think?

When is the presentation? I need any regional time as well.

Dingens

Is the information about cross region play (including japan) correct?

wouldn't that mean they'd have to get rid of all the (branded) joke gear?
that would be a shame... but I guess that's fitting since the footage already has a certain "no fun allowed"/more "serious" vibe to it

yami4ct

Sure, but at this point you're just being a negative nancy. Worried about hackers on PC? Play on PS4. At least now, playing on PC is even an option.

I'm not saying PC version is fucked by any stretch, just pointing out my reservations.

Going to get PS4 regardless for me because at least we have the hardcore JP fanbase to fall back on there.

Kyoufu

Doesn't the visual and audio feedback from a hit already convey all that information?

Except for the actual damage, obviously

I don't know how much damage I'm doing against Glavenus's feet vs his chest. I'll gladly enable damage numbers to do that. The game can definitely do a better job at conveying important information.

Like how much damage does a ballista shot do vs my own weapon? Or does a barrel bomb do more damage than this new weapon I just made? Things like that would go a long way.

MH:XX Thread Status:

morton-table-salt-2-250x431.png

This is really nothing new. The game is releasing on home consoles and has no local multiplayer. Japan doesn't buy this series on home consoles because they don't allow for local multiplayer.

The leak was surprisingly accurate. It talked about a Westernized MH releasing on PS4 and PC, with a roster of old and recognizable monsters. I wouldn't be surprised to know more aspects of the leak are true.

JP_

Banned
Is the information about cross region play (including japan) correct?

wouldn't that mean they'd have to get rid of all the (branded) joke gear?
that would be a shame... but I guess that's fitting since the footage already has a certain "no fun allowed"/more "serious" vibe to it

UbQTurC.gif

Khezu

I wouldn't mind a slightly more serious take on MH.

Similar to the early tone I guess?

Joke weapons and armor are cool, but they got a little weird with the cat stuff in later entries.

Since those reddit impressions got deleted because they weren't in the megathread:
Watched Live Gameplay of Worlds (Details)

I watched a live gameplay demo of Monster Hunter World's at E3 today and just wanted to give my thoughts. We watched 4 players start a quest, but I they didn't finish it.Therst thought is this game does not seem like a spin off in the slightest. The game looks like everything I wanted monster hunter to be, environment damage, monsters attacking each other, no loading screens.

This is going to be long, but I'll do a TL;DR at the end. I'm on mobile so please excuse any bad formatting. They quest started off with us getting directions on how to hunt. The interesting part was it was voice acted. Not a bad thing, but I threw me off, and only had 1 player playing. He goes into the first area and almost immediately a large monster comes out, but doesn't bother you. The monster attacks Aptonoth and swallows it whole. The tracker bugs pick up on a trial the happens to follow the new monster.

The Monster A began feeding it's young but the hunter carries on following the trial. He runs into the Main Monster in the next cave and uses rocks to create sound and lead the monster out to Monster A. They get into a fight and the main monster attacks and kills Monster A. He begins the fight but after it enrages he leads it to a new area. Where a Rathalos shows up and both immediately begin fighting. They keeps stressing that there is a hierarchy of monsters.

The player uses a beacon to call in the other three hunters mid quest. And the other hunter show up in the area relatively quickly. As they fight a hunter places a barrel bomb by some rocks and blows it up. Water begins to rush out and wash away the Rathalos and hunters to another area. And they fight a little longer. They use barrel bombs to blow up a tree to damage the Rathalos. And that's about where it ends.

Some other small details: -The game shows damage with each attack - A player ate something that gave him stamina straight from the environment

TL;DR The game doesn't look like a spin off. Looks beautiful. No loading screens. Environment and other Monsters can aid your hunt.

Edit: It was 100% live gameplay. The people before talked about a PS4 crashing mid game. It looks like a normal monster hunter game, I'm on mobile so it was condensed, but there was a good amount of fighting, but they definitely were trying to show off the new mechanics.

Dingens

I wouldn't mind a slightly more serious take on MH.

Similar to the early tone I guess?

Joke weapons and armor are cool, but they got a little weird with the cat stuff in later entries.

some of the coolest weapons in vanilla 4 was "joke gear" ... So missing that would be a tad disappointing.

SmartGenerousAlaskajingle.gif

Well thankfully there is at least goint to be a pc version for the new Turok: Dinosaur Hunter game

Effect

MH:XX Thread Status:

Just stop with this shit. Being disappointed and/or upset about a game that was expected to show up on a system and to be denied the next installment after getting so many at the same time isn't salt. I think PSP players back in the day had ever right to be upset then. People now have a right to be upset. This isn't complaining just to complain.

Taken from Reddit

For new people coming in, here's a recap of info that has been shared so far by Capcom employees who have worked on/with Monster Hunter.

A 4:56 video that shows a bit more extended footage of the things we've already seen.

Monster Hunter: World is not a spin-off.

Monster Hunter: World was worked on by the main development team in Japan.

You can play offline.

Fishing, mining, and capturing bugs still in the game.

All 14 weapon types confirmed in the game.

Tails still cuttable.

Hunt, Carve, Forge loop is still there.

Still has the same rewarding and challenging gameplay.

Health, stamina, potions, sharpness still present.

Sound still plays after making a good well done steak.

Targeting locked 30FPS across all platforms(referring to console).

The game uses the MT Framework. Maybe PC as well, weird wording in this one.

Insect Glaive will be in the game.

When asked about Hunter Arts, response was "Brand new title. Brand new gameplay systems in place!"

Separate maps, but zones are gone!

More clarification on maps/zones: "It's not open world game, but all the maps are massive and wide open, without any loading screens :)"

Charge Blade is in, Tonfa is not.

No underwater combat.

No Prowler Mode in Monster Hunter World.

Palicoes are in the game.

In-game voice chat is supported.

You can either choose to sneak past small monsters to avoid fighting them, or kill them to collect/loot their bodies. The world is "hella flexible."

Gestures will be present in Monster Hunter: World.

They are completely focused on World for the western markets, and Monster Hunter: World is once again confirmed as the next main title in the series.

After being asked if there will be a Monster Hunter 5 or a game for the Japanese audiences, they reply was: "This is the next generation of Monster Hunter!"

You can both do drop-in/drop-out co-op, or form a pre-hunt party in Monster Hunter: World.

Multiplayer is online-only, there is no local co-op. :(

dwix

Taken from Reddit

Thank you for posting this... The amount of freaking out that has been going on with so little information has been impressive. Hopefully this will start to calm people down.

I'm bummed that we may not be getting XX localization on Switch but I'm really excited about this one.

Sad things are looking grim for XX as I was hoping for it to hold me over till worlds and obviously on the go.

Can't wait to put multiple tv's next to each other and play worlds with my buddies though. Last time we did something like that for a multiplayer game was Dying Light and it was awesome having us all sit in the same room with 4 tv's.

Side note: Worlds looks amazing and I'm not worried about it at all. I've played these games for years and welcome any new editions and I have faith knowing the main team is making this but I understand everyone being skeptical as there are some pretty big additions to the game. Excited to see the gameplay more in a half hour (that is if they show it).

some of the coolest weapons in vanilla 4 was "joke gear" ... So missing that would be a tad disappointing.

SmartGenerousAlaskajingle.gif

Well thankfully there is at least goint to be a pc version for the new Turok: Dinosaur Hunter game

Eh, personally I hated the joke gear. Mostly because they just looked weird a lot of the time. However, I liked the rest of the games humour.

Playsage

MT Framework still kickin'

Glad to hear they are all in this project

Only bummer is damage display (hope it can be disabled/hit feedback still as informative)

Just stop with this shit. Being disappointed and/or upset about a game that was expected to show up on a system and to be denied the next installment after getting so many at the same time isn't salt. I think PSP players back in the day had ever right to be upset then. People now have a right to be upset. This isn't complaining just to complain.

They're literally predicting Capcom's demise because the company is focusing on MH:W and trying to pick up sales in the West. There's being upset about not getting the game they expected, then there's being overly dramatic. MH is a series that has evolved over time, and the direction Capcom is going in is trying some new things. The Western audience is undeniably larger than the Japanese audience, and it's hard to imagine a company not wanting to tap into a larger audience.

crinale

By reading reddit comment.. MHW really seems like traditional MH with zone borders removed, with nice features added like drop-ins and use of environment.

For some people I think biggest think gone is local co-op. Otherwise this seems great improvement!
(..and suddenly I'm feeling that rumored "portable" version for Switch sure will borrow formula from MHW).

Its gonna feel so wierd to play this after growing up looking at the Tri through Gen graphics. It was basically its own timeless artstyle to me, despite how low quality they where technically.

Kyoufu

Every. Single. Piece. Of. Information.

Sounds. Incredible.

No joke, this is shaping up to be everything I've been begging/requesting/wanting for years.

So. Hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom