• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Changes to Bravely Second in the West

xevis

Banned
Appeasing those who oppose titillation on the grounds it might cause offence is not the way to go. One might tritely suggest that slapping a 'trigger warning' label on the box would be sufficient.

How's that straw-man working out for you?

Nintendo continues with the non-sense. No one is surprised.

Nintendo?

And -this- attitude is exactly why they changed the costumes, lol.

Changed? More like fixed. Jesus Christ those costumes. I don't really side with the "sexy chibi = sexy children" angle, but it certainly has shades of "1000 year dragon" shenanigans behind some of that shit

are you saying the art is improved? hell no

If you meant character design, it's still no

Oh most certainly yes

Those costumes are concept art from the original game, presumably for the
latest

I understand that, but that it ever got any serious consideration to have like only the very bottom of her butt covered by barely anything is a problem

GamerJM

Banned
I don't like the costumes, but since it's just the art book I think for historical purposes it's at least important so we can catalog what design decisions Square Enix considered. If anything I think that if you want to argue against overt/unnecessary sexualization of underaged characters in the industry then having official documentation that this ever occurred is important. But then again we already have it documented in the original Japanese art book so it's not really a big deal (I don't care much about art book changes in general).

GorillaJu

Square Enix may have heard the howls of outrage from western feminists over the Tomb Raider "attempted sexual assault" scene and decided to remove all sexual overtones from Bravely Second.

Honestly, it will become as bad as in the anime Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist.

Appeasing those who oppose titillation on the grounds it might cause offence is not the way to go. One might tritely suggest that slapping a 'trigger warning' label on the box would be sufficient.

Not like this... Not like this.

Changing dialogue for localization or costumes if they're ridiculous doesn't bother me that much (though some of the costume changes really are needless).

Changing quest outcomes is pretty awful, though.

Square Enix may have heard the howls of outrage from western feminists over the Tomb Raider "attempted sexual assault" scene and decided to remove all sexual overtones from Bravely Second.

Honestly, it will become as bad as in the anime Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist.

Of course we had a post blaming dem dirty feminists. Why did I ever expect any better

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"

what the hell

GorillaJu

Nintendo?

Changed? More like fixed. Jesus Christ those costumes. I don't really side with the "sexy chibi = sexy children" angle, but it certainly has shades of "1000 year dragon" shenanigans behind some of that shit

Oh most certainly yes

Even if I agreed with you that the costumes make me uncomfortable (which they don't), I still can't justify changing content from foreign releases unless it actually breaks laws or puts the game into dangerous rating territory.

Now I assume Square thought "the western market will see this as a game for kids due to the cartoony character designs" and made changes accordingly, and while that's extremely patronizing, they're within their rights to do so. The problem is that's a kick in the balls for the adult fans who like the Bravely series because it reminds them of the Classic JRPGs they played growing up. My view is that fans should get the original, warts and all, because sometimes it's the rawness that's responsible for the appeal.

The ESRB labels are the trigger warning.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They're the publisher in the west. They take the blame.

This is probably why SE did it. It's a conspiracy!

They knew they could make changes and get away squeaky clean because Nintendo would be the one that got all the blame. And it would get people talking about the game - and any attention is good attention, after all.

So obvious! Why didn't I think of this earlier!

So why do they make the games like this in the first place if they are going to end up censoring it?

Does it somehow absolve the creators of their supposed morally questionable decisions since it gets "toned down" for the West?

Serious question here. I don't understand why this is deemed to get a pass when the source material is, and always will be the intended way to play the game in the eyes of the designers.

Theatre does this a lot. "Alternate versions" and the like. I once watched a version of Macbeth set in South Africa.

The difference is that video games are much more of a product than books are, but translated novels and the like aren't necessarily exactly like the original in any way, because languages aren't 1:1 ciphers. Compare the different translations of Crime and Punishment, for instance.
Didn't think about alternate versions, so that's an interesting example. Although the difference there is that the "alternate version" isn't replacing a more plain, faithful translation of the original work. It's a supplemental, different take on a work, sometimes looking to present some kind of insight about the changed setting. Macbeth as plain Scottish Macbeth still exists even with the South African version. PWAA in English, set in plain Japan does not exist though.

And you're right about the different translations not being 1:1 ciphers. I'm currently reading a book from Russia translated into English, and the introduction by the translator had an interesting description of how she struggled to find the right words for things and all the long conversations she had about how to proceed with the author. With that said, I think we can understand the line between being an exact 1:1 translation and outright changing plot beats in the story.

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with certain "changes" made when it is in attempt to reach a wider audience. I'm kind of curious if there is a balancing act for comparing lost sales between the people that get angry at the changes versus people that would get angry if it is unchanged (not to mention potential negative publicity).

Bringing up the localization of SMTxFE is interesting though. Do they try to tone down the sexual stuff and alienate people who are probably guaranteed to buy it or do they leave it unchanged and risk losing a potential wider audience that may not even exist?

ss-hikaru

Could they have just gone with one outcome for the sidequests to save on English dubbing? (sorry haven't read through the whole thread, I just started the game and want to try to avoid people accidentally spoiling things).

To me this means no replays necessary I guess ^^; I'll see if I can pick up on plot inconsistencies due to the changes as I play.

Ridley327

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with certain "changes" made when it is in attempt to reach a wider audience. I'm kind of curious if there is a balancing act for comparing lost sales between the people that get angry at the changes versus people that would get angry if it is unchanged (not to mention potential negative publicity).

Bringing up the localization of SMTxFE is interesting though. Do they try to tone down the sexual stuff and alienate people who are probably guaranteed to buy it or do they leave it unchanged and risk losing a potential wider audience that may not even exist?

I was under the impression that the amount of sexy stuff in #FE is actually pretty small, and that the real localization issue is the fact that they have to make a game that's deeply, deeply rooted in Japanese idol culture and their entertainment industry as a whole that makes it really daunting to do a 1:1 localization without something getting lost in translation.

B.K.

I just canceled my special edition order. I could live with them censoring the costumes, but them censoring the sideguests is too much for me. If I want to play it, I'll buy it used in a few months.

Parfait

lol expecting people to look at those though. There's far too many uninformed parents who will go out and buy a game for their kid, yet not understand the first thing about that label or even care to read anything on the box.

And that should never, ever be the concern of the developer, or the publisher. It should always be on the parent to read that shit, but instead they'll just be shit parents and ignore it then kick up a fuss because their kid saw a slight hint of a boobie

Nerokis

Changing dialogue for localization or costumes if they're ridiculous doesn't bother me that much (though some of the costume changes really are needless).

Changing quest outcomes is pretty awful, though.

Yeah, this is where I am.

Eh, I think I'll be skipping this one. My impression was already that BS wasn't the sequel the original needed or deserved, but now we also have this. Nintendo's clearly approaching localization with a cudgel instead of a scalpel these days, and I'm suddenly finding myself hesitant to reward them for that.

kiryogi

Banned
I admit my interest in Bravely Second is low due to import reception and PTSD from default. And costume changing, that's old hat, but changing quests now? That's a new low in localization. It's getting harder and harder to defend tree house when these things happen.

Nanashrew

Banned

Eh, I think I'll be skipping this one. My impression was already that BS wasn't the sequel the original needed or deserved, but now we also have this. Nintendo's clearly approaching localization with a cudgel instead of a scalpel these days, and I'm suddenly finding myself hesitant to reward them for that.

I admit my interest in Bravely Second is low due to import reception and PTSD from default. And costume changing, that's old hat, but changing quests now? That's a new low in localization. It's getting harder and harder to defend tree house when these things happen.

It's Square Enix though.

Tree house isn't European

Dalamar86

I just canceled my special edition order. I could live with them censoring the costumes, but them censoring the sideguests is too much for me. If I want to play it, I'll buy it used in a few months.

Did you preorder from Amazon? I've been watching for a restock.

Er, did Nintendo localize this? Shouldn't this be SE's fault? Or is ragging on Nintendo too good of a chance to pass up these days?

They already did with the Wii U.

Holy shit, straight for the jugular.

On another note, I don't like them changing anything from the Japanese release, but outfits are still in the realm of being acceptable since the experience remains intact. But neutering scenarios is definitely a deal breaker and entirely unacceptable.

Zambayoshi

Yeah, that's what I meant. Didn't actually know that Agnes was 17. The point stands though:

All of these character designs are for underage characters. The character models haven't noticably (to me) changed since the first one, so really, it's not very different to the US release of the first game just saying "nah, they are 3 years older", without actually representing that fact in their physical growth and making them look less like children.

I mean...come on
3zebWFx.png

Seriously, Come on

bravely08.jpg

SERIOUSLY

JZGBfzY.jpg

These are characters that were specificially built to look like children only to then get sexualized as all hell. That shit isn't just weird to me, I don't just dislike it, I find it indefensible. No amount of "artistic integrity" changes the fact that these outfits are created to give people sexual arousal from characters looking like children.

I don't know about you, but I've never seen any child with hips like that. Those are Kardashian-level curves there. If you are talking about breast size rather than hips, you may have a point, but I don't think that small breasts are going to markedly inflate from the age of 17 to 20, particularly given the hip situation. I totally agree with the sexualizing argument though. The characters are generally presented in a more or less sexualized way. I'm not saying that's bad or good.

Top Bottom