• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - CG trailer (PC/360/XB1/PS3/PS4, 2015, E3 Debut, Box Art, Info, UE3)

Reszo

I like the music buuut it doesn't fit the trailer.
And I'm definitely not expecting the actual game to look like the trailer. I've notice a lot of people thinking it will look like it but I wouldn't get my hopes up and just wait for actual gameplay.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I like the music buuut it doesn't fit the trailer.
And I'm definitely not expecting the actual game to look like the trailer.

What in the hell was the point of this trailer though?

When I watch a trailer for Street Fighter, you basically see animated cartoon of Ryu and Ken fighting...that's an obvious thing that it's not the gameplay.

Now when I see MKX trailer, they're scripting the trailer to be exactly like a match minus the HUD...so if the game doesn't look exactly like what we just saw in the trailer, what was the point?

In my opinion, Netherealms are kicking themselves in the ass by releasing this.

Schryver

Then FFS, we have no idea what this game is really gonna look like, and if they show anything at E3 and it doesn't remotely resemble this trailer, then what a waste of time.

I would not be at all surprised if this CG trailer plays prior to the main menu (every time the game is launched). The example that stands out to me is Rock Band and the CG intro video that played after the developer/publisher logos

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I would not be at all surprised if this CG trailer plays prior to the main menu (every time the game is launched). The example that stands out to me is Rock Band and the CG intro video that played after the developer/publisher logos

So like this intro from Super Street Fighter 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8SD_M_ccac

I get what you're saying, but the person who made the decision to make this CG trailer look exactly like gameplay from a match minus the HUD, is stupid.

You set yourself up for disappointment when you do something like this because if the actual gameplay isn't like the MKX trailer, then again I say what was the point of the effort in the first place? People are going to compare it, there's no denying it.

At least in this Street Fighter 4 trailer I can clearly make the distinction that it's not gameplay.

Recall

When I watch a trailer for Street Fighter, you basically see animated cartoon of Ryu and Ken fighting...that's an obvious thing that it's not the gameplay.

Now when I see MKX trailer, they're scripting the trailer to be exactly like a match minus the HUD...so if the game doesn't look exactly like what we just saw in the trailer, what was the point?

Hype is the point.

Trailers are marketing tools. They are used to generate interest and buzz, and it worked for I.

Reszo

I think it's just to tease the game's features in a fancy way instead of just showing regular gameplay. Trailers like this get people hyped.

Trejik

If we're analyzing this thing, parry system that's fluid, weapons, environmental attacks.

Awesome. Sign me up. And everyone in this thread that has a problem with the music can just mute the audio. Musics fine. There have been much worse uses. Snoop Dogg and Tekken, anyone? CoD and Eminem? Sheesh.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think it's just to tease the game's features in a fancy way instead of just showing regular gameplay. Trailers like this get people hyped.

Eh...I'll be hyped if the gameplay looks exactly like that. If it doesn't then I will be severely disappointed.

I really hate when devs do this. They should have made the trailer look LESS like a real match.

Unicorn

I'm really hoping there's a SF 3rd Strike parry system, because the parry fighting in the trailer could be really fun back and forth. I felt breakers in 9 were clunky and obtrusive. There were still some dial-a-combos in 9, but some freedom too, like a mix between MK2 and 3. I'm hoping they find a way to make combat smoother and hits have that "impact." x-ray moves had some decent feel of "impact" happening, but often the fighting felt flat.

I love MK. Make this good.

Also, variations of characters might be cool, but I just imagine it as imbalanced hell. Tag mode will probably return and maybe those variations will come into better effect there for assist moves, etc.

coldcrush

Neo Member
So we have been having a discussion about this at work and many of us think that certainly the side on shots look like they could be game play, if not then they could have at least used in game assets for the trailer. Agreed the cuts and non gamey camera angles feel CG but something is niggling me to think there could be more in game shots in this than I first thought. The number of assets that need to be rendered is relatively low, which would help push the visuals. We could be completely wrong, and hopeful but fingers crossed it retains at least some of this vibe.

Ps. we should also lobby them to include the original techno soundtrack in some way.

Pro

This is not going to end soon, really.

I hope this doesn't slow down game development if developers are continuing to make games to last gen specs with a few tweaks for the current gen version. We need full current gen developments that utilize the current hardware to full potential.

Rembrandt

Banned
Eh...I'll be hyped if the gameplay looks exactly like that. If it doesn't then I will be severely disappointed.

I really hate when devs do this. They should have made the trailer look LESS like a real match.

What do you want, a live-action trailer?

GladiatoR

Banned
So many people on Facebook seem to think it is gameplay, more so than any other CG trailer I've seen. Can't help but think CG trailers do abit more harm than good these days. People like to see something that resembles the end product. Fair enough, we haven't seen actual gameplay but I doubt it looks that good visually...

Unicorn

So many people on Facebook seem to think it is gameplay, more so than any other CG trailer I've seen. Can't help but think CG trailers do abit more harm than good these days. People like to see something that resembles the end product. Fair enough, we haven't seen actual gameplay but I doubt it looks that good visually...

DOWNGRADETON

Raven77

Can anyone explain to me how a game that claims to utilize the power of "next gen consoles" can also release on old ass consoles? Doesn't really make sense.

weepy

Has a Subzero ever won against Scorpion? Last game they've fought he got his head ripped off and stuffed in his chest, lost off screen and replaced with Kratos, and canonically burned to a cinder and skull presented to Shang. What the hell?

Fox Mulder

I'd hate for this to be the new madden bullshit cg trailer.

I'm interested because the last one was awesome. Looked great, fueled nostalgia, and the story mode and challenges were great. I suck online and no friends like these games, so single player content has to deliver for me in fighting games.

Fractal

Banned
Glad it's on the PC from the start, more quality fighting games on the PC is great news. Can't wait for more info, loved MK 2011.

ITT: People butthurt over the music

Also, environmental weapons confirmed. Hurray for bringing over shitty mechanics from Injustice!

Pro

Can anyone explain to me how a game that claims to utilize the power of "next gen consoles" can also release on old ass consoles? Doesn't really make sense.

Yeah exactly what I was referring to in my comment a little up above. I don't want devs to be dealing with last gen anymore and limiting what they do to accommodate an older gen.

Portugeezer

Doesn't look anything the PS4 couldn't handle, surprised to find out it's CG, obviously there were some tells but overall I thought it looked like possible gameplay.

0xCA2

I thought the trailer was cool, I liked the music.

Re: rap in fighting games, I wonder how people reacted to Third Strike back in the day.

Also, speaking of rap in fighting game trailers : DOA 5.

Because fighting game design isn't contingent on tech these days. They could downgrade assets and effects for the PS360 versions. You could probably have KI running on last gen once you subtract the particle diarrhea.

Bloodrage

Banned
I'm tired of Boon constantly shitting on Sub Zero and jacking off Scorpion.

PRE ORDER CANCELLED
ibrzSBt5vTXe4b.gif

S1kkZ

Because fighting game design isn't contingent on tech these days. They could downgrade assets and effects for the PS360 versions. You could probably have KI running on last gen once you subtract the particle diarrhea.

true. hell, they made mk9 and injustice run on vita. with 60 frames and feature complete.

@stoppedintracks: i love the mask and the fact that it looks like a mask again. scorpion was way to overdesigned in the last few games.

Griss

I remember when I was little and Scorpion vs Sub-Zero was this awesome rivalry. Now Sub-Zero is Scorpion's punching bag, there to make him look cool. I get it, Scorpion was always cooler. But it's lame as hell to have a rivalry be so one-sided.

Anyway, the trailer.
-Don't like the new designs
-That bloody music
-Hope this doesn't mean we're getting environmental interaction, I hate that
-Could backfire if people think this CG is anywhere near what the game will look like
-Cross-gen for a 2015 game, why...
-If the game has a new awesome parry system that'll be great, if not that trailer is going to look pretty stupid in a year's time

All in all it's a pretty poor show, but it's just one trailer.

modeyv2

Banned
If people seriously think this is in-game, you need to open your eyes. All I was looking at was the mechanics of the fighting, I'm guessing you'll be able to interact with the environment. Great trailer though, clearly CGI. Nice idea behind it though.

Top Bottom