• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - CG trailer (PC/360/XB1/PS3/PS4, 2015, E3 Debut, Box Art, Info, UE3)

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, I have sort of a general Mortal Kombat series question. I recently played Injustice and really enjoyed that. I know some of the differences between the series, but but how much different are the two series' fighting mechanics?

MK is a fighting series that has changed alot over the years, from being 2D to going 3D, to introducing fighting-styles, only to kinda come back to a complete refinement of the core original mechanics with the last game. The last game also had Marvel vs. Capcom style team-ups, but so few people engaged with that side of it.

But in comparison to Injustice, MK isn't so drastically different, but there are more than afew similarities. The most obvious difference is probably that MK has a dedicated block button rather than just pressing 'back' Street Fighter-style.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah, I noticed that the trailer seemed to hint at an interactive environment being present (which, to my knowledge, is a first for MK).

They've done it before in Deception. Get characters into the right spot, and you can knock them off some stairs, or even instantly kill them.

MK is a fighting series that has changed alot over the years, from being 2D to going 3D, to introducing fighting-styles, only to kinda come back to a complete refinement of the core original mechanics with the last game. The last game also had Marvel vs. Capcom style team-ups, but so few people engaged with that side of it.

But in comparison to Injustice, MK isn't so drastically different, but there are more than afew similarities. The most obvious difference is probably that MK has a dedicated block button rather than just pressing 'back' Street Fighter-style.
Ah, the block button was the big difference I was trying to remember; I knew there was something I remembered from the arguments over at TestYourMight. Thanks!

They've done it before in Deception. Get characters into the right spot, and you can knock them off some stairs, or even instantly kill them.
Very cool. So, I guess it would't be surprising for them to take what they learned from Injustice and bring back multiple layered levels.

Xater

Ah, the block button was the big difference I was trying to remember; I knew there was something I remembered from the arguments over at TestYourMight. Thanks!

MK is also a 4 button game. (excluding the block button) The supers, breakers and stuff are quite similar. I wanna say there was a difference in how combos work between the two games but to be honest I didn't play enough Injustice to be sure right now.

Compbros

Injustice didn't have the block button or breaker and added traits/character powers, air dashes, clashing and push blocking. On top of that "EX" moves work differently as, in MK, you have to press your meter button at the same time as the move comes out, in Injustice you do it after the move.

The thing I'm most mad about though is that they would use a criminal rapper like wiz Khalifa

The guy promotes drug use to his listeners. I'd prefer the traditional mk music over it for that reason alone

Rembrandt

Banned
The thing I'm most mad about though is that they would use a criminal rapper like wiz Khalifa

The guy promotes drug use to his listeners. I'd prefer the traditional mk music over it for that reason alone

Ed Boon is obviously trying to influence kids to smoke a weed and play MK turning them into addicts of both during the process. borderline criminal.

Csr

I am very suprised to see that there are so many people that like the trailer, personally i find the music not fitting and the animations extremely bad.

Manu

I am very suprised to see that there are so many people that like the trailer, personally i find the music not fitting and the animations extremely bad.

ibmffNF57ZkBGV.gif

It looks like two big, muscular guys fighting.

I don't get why every fighting game must have the same fluidity, MK is its own thing.

Xater

Injustice didn't have the block button or breaker and added traits/character powers, air dashes, clashing and push blocking. On top of that "EX" moves work differently as, in MK, you have to press your meter button at the same time as the move comes out, in Injustice you do it after the move.

There might not have been breakers in Injustice but you could break a combo.

Maybe they'll show up on the Sony stage. I mean they have a good relationship with them. MK had Kratos and there was the whole Injustice deal. Would not surprise me if Sony again gets a goodie.

Could we see Joel in MK this time? XD

Huh, guess they will be showing off the game at Sony's Press then.

Maybe with some exclusive content... again?

Arkham Knight will probably show up at Sony as well.

We need Sweet tooth in MK!!

Csr

ibmffNF57ZkBGV.gif

It looks like two big, muscular guys fighting.

I don't get why every fighting game must have the same fluidity, MK is its own thing.

To me it look like 2 toys fighting made from some kind of soft materials and weird physics.
That part of the trailer in the gif doesn't look that bad, i was taliking more about the early fight from ~0:30 to ~0:40. That part looks very off to me at least.

How NRS designed MKX Scorpion to look so good and Sub Zero to look so bad is crazy, Sub Zero hasn't had a good design since MK5 IMO. Hopefully Ermac doesn't suffer the same fate but still buying though.

Miles X

Maybe they'll show up on the Sony stage. I mean they have a good relationship with them. MK had Kratos and there was the whole Injustice deal. Would not surprise me if Sony again gets a goodie.

They will show up at Sony. Sony don't have a fighter, MS have and will be showing Killer Instinct. Not only that but MK has been shown at Sony and not MS conference before, add to that Warner have a closer relationship with Sony than Microsoft.

I'm a little worried about the story description. I somehow get the sense that it won't continue from where MK9 left off, but perhaps I'm reading too into it.

Manu

How NRS designed MKX Scorpion to look so good and Sub Zero to look so bad is crazy, Sub Zero hasn't had a good design since MK5 IMO. Hopefully Ermac doesn't suffer the same fate but still buying though.

Sub-Zero's Deception and 2011 main designs were amazing.

Shredder Sub = Best Sub

Cant wait for the eventual downgrade!!! CG was a bad idea to show.

The first MK9 trailer was also CG and it was a good representation of what the game ended up being.

Salsa

man people are really misinterpreting these consoles if they thought that was in-game

specially for a cross gen game

shaowebb

Trailer looked great and it hints at quite a few things. Hell the first thing at 30 seconds is a run so we may see the return of a run button over block dash cancels or something. Im just hoping that kipup lunge kick Scorpion did is a hint that there will be some universal wakeup options like a lunge attack forward, lunge attack backwards, neutral low poke, and forward/backward rolls in addition to whatever wakeup specials or armored options they might try. It'd help against vortex stuff for sure and if it left you both neutral on block to maybe slightly plus on block as a wakeup it'd be neat. Likely just a kipup done for nice choreography but I keep hoping its a hint at expanded wakeups in MKX.

Really hype about the press announcement of choosing different versions of characters for different strategies. Cyber Sub, Classic Sub and MK9 sub? Frost? God I need to know more.

Looks exciting thats for sure.

ref

Excited for this. MK9 was great in my opinion, aside from the online netcode (at least in the early stages on PS3, it made me turn away from the game completely).

That music though, ugh. Don't like it and it didn't fit either.

Sub-Zero's Deception and 2011 main designs were amazing.

Shredder Sub = Best Sub

Nah I wasn't that hot on Shredder Sub, that outfit was just a bit too out there for my taste lol. I'll give you MK9 though, I didn't mind that one so I'll take back my original statement. Maybe this design will grow on me (which they do more often than not), after all it just a reveal trailer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's not nice, but it truly doesn't fit the trailer. Or the series, IMO. Two pseudo-ninja-ish looking characters fighting in a forest doesn't scream "rap / hip hop" to me.

Their rivalry has some history to it, that I'd personally show off with something more traditional to their background or maybe a theme song. I think a lot of us can relate to MK, but they use rap or some form of popular music to show it's worth getting into. MK does fine on its own, but who knows... there are some views out there that hate everything. I appreciate this type of music if it benefits the series in the long run.

Khezu

I liked the music alright.
Though, I have never actually heard of this guy until today.
The beat was nice and worked really well with the visuals. Maybe a version with only the beat might be better.

Top Bottom