• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

Can someone help me out? I will not be doing a backup/restore via an external hard drive. I do however have an SSD on my PS4 and I will be swapping the original hard drive back into the PS4 before trading it in for a pro. But what steps do I need to do as far as deactivating my account from my original PS4?

I think these are the steps?

-Go into SEN and deactive account/deactivate as primary PS4 for my OG PS4
-Switch out SSD with OG hardrive on OG PS4
-Apply latest firmware to OG PS4
-Get PS4 Pro
-Swap in SSD to PS4 Pro
-Apply latest firmware to PS4 Pro
-Sign into my PS4 Pro/make primary

does that sound right?

just deactivate from the console itself.
download the 4.05 reinstallation firmware version which is over 800mb .PUP file.(if the PUP file you start to download is just over 300mb its the wrong one) place the PUP file on a exfat usb drive. make a folder called PS4 then in that make another called UPDATE then put the PUP file in that.

put original hd in ps4 switch on put usb stick in ps4 and click ok when it asked you to provide 4.05 reinstallation update.

let the process finish and your done

rememeber download the reinstalation 4.05 update and not the regular 4.05 update

Haines

Banned
I can just plug an ethernet cord from one ps4 to the new one cant i?

Op says be on the same network. Cant i skip the network to be quicker?

And than i just initialize the old ps4 and pass it on to the next guy?

Its that easy right?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Its that easy right?

I'd like clarification on this, because I don't think you can just hook up both PS4's, I think you have to hook up your old PS4 to the router. I'd like to know for sure, because hooking up both ps4's is more convenient for me.

Bought a Pro today but I'm postponing the transfer process to tomorrow I think

Its that easy right?
Pretty sure you have to go through a switch or a router.

graybot

So I deleted all games, users etc... from my old PS4 and now I decided to initialise it. Even though there is barely anything on the disk, it's saying 5 hours to go

Wtf?

Simo

So I deleted all games, users etc... from my old PS4 and now I decided to initialise it. Even though there is barely anything on the disk, it's saying 5 hours to go

Wtf?

Timer Should go down. Mine said it would take 50 minutes to transfer 400gb and the timer started at 6 hours but quickly dropped to 45 minutes lol

It's cool they have a bunch of options to transfer. I'm simply moving my old PS4 into the living room. The only thing I really need to transfer to the Pro is my cloud saves. I'm only playing a handful of games and some are on discs. So I will just redownload 2 or 3 games overnight.

Anyone having issues where it will say "The update file cannot be used" when replacing the hard drive and trying to reinstall the OS?

I was stupid and thought 'fuck this' formatted my old one then thought I could download everything just as quick, forgot to upload my saves and now my internet has shit the bed so I haven't used it to play eff all. I'm smart.

Bog

Junior Ace
I looked over a bunch of the tutorials but didn't see one for using my OG PS4 2TB drive in the Pro, and putting the 1 TB from the Pro into the OG PS4. Any help?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I connect both PS4's, it says 'preparing to transfer data' and then says it took too long to connect to the server. Probably is because I'm using wifi to connect to the router and that signal's not strong enough? Idk

I would've connected both ps4's to the router but there's only room for one other regular ethernet port. I have other ports but they're labeled 'tv' and don't work.

edit: both ps4's found eachother now, transferring. This is scary af

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can you do this over wifi? and if so, has anyone tried it? Is it stupidly slow?

I'm doing it over wifi right now. Both ps4's wireless, only connected to each other with cable. I have only 230 gig of data and it says one hour left. That's okay I guess? I'll take it, I want this transfer to be done. I just hope the connection holds.

Its that easy right?

I'd like clarification on this, because I don't think you can just hook up both PS4's, I think you have to hook up your old PS4 to the router. I'd like to know for sure, because hooking up both ps4's is more convenient for me.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/transfer.html

You only connect two PS4s DIRECTLY to each other if you're doing it over WiFi. If you're doing wired/LAN, you need to connect both of them to the same router/switch.

Rootbeer

Banned
question:

does the ps4 (latest firmware) have any problems backing up/restoring from a GPT partitioned drive?

here's the thing. I just formatted one of my usb HDDs as a single exfat drive and started the backup process.

at first it popped up a little box that said "unable to read this drive" or something (forget exact wording) but then a couple seconds later the box went away and it appears to be backing up. the light on the drive is flashing and the progress bar is moving.

I was trying to figure out why it said this and if it was going to successfully back up or not. then I realized the drive I just formatted was using GPT partitions not MBR.

think i'm good? i have a four hour wait, lol

Am_I_Evil

i'm debating if i want to wait through all this tonight, trying to backup and then restore (i would want to use my 2TB drive currently in the regular PS4) or just setup the Pro, start downloading the first game i actually want to play that's not disc based and then just download all other digital games overnight...hmmmmm...seems like this might be easier....

Dizzan

MINI Member
Joined PS plus for a month before I sold my old PS4.

I assumed it backed up all game saves but when I went to download them, Ratchet and Clank was missing. WTF?

Has anyone else had a similar problem. Did I do something wrong?

ToVenusAndBack_

Neo Member
I've just started transferring data from my OG PS4 to the Pro, with both consoles connected to my router via LAN cables. There's only 240GB to transfer and it's showing 6 hours. How long until it starts showing a more reasonable time?

Kinan

I've just started transferring data from my OG PS4 to the Pro, with both consoles connected to my router via LAN cables. There's only 240GB to transfer and it's showing 6 hours. How long until it starts showing a more reasonable time?

Took around 10 min for the time to stabilize in my case. Was showing like 24 hours for 150GB at the beginning, but droped constantly until it reached ~40 min or so.

FuzzyAssassin

Neo Member
I looked over a bunch of the tutorials but didn't see one for using my OG PS4 2TB drive in the Pro, and putting the 1 TB from the Pro into the OG PS4. Any help?

This is what I did:

If you have an external hard drive
1) Deauthorize OG PS4
2) Backup your OG to the external hard drive
3) Remove and swap the hard drives so the 1TB is now in the OG and the 2TB is in the Pro
4) Follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to install the OS to both systems
5) Follow standard setup on the Pro and then do a Restore from Backup from the external hard drive
6) Restore the OG PS4 from the backup if you're so inclined.

If you don't have an external hard drive, but do have an external enclosure
1) Take drive out of the Pro and put it in the enclosure
2) Deauthorize OG PS4
3) Backup your OG to the Pro drive in the external enclosure
4) Remove and move 2TB the hard drive so the 2TB is now in the Pro
5) Follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to install the OS to the Pro
6) Follow standard setup on the Pro and then do a Restore from Backup from the external hard drive
7) Take the 1TB drive from the enclosure and put it in the OG
8) Install the OS to the OG

Tobor

i'm debating if i want to wait through all this tonight, trying to backup and then restore (i would want to use my 2TB drive currently in the regular PS4) or just setup the Pro, start downloading the first game i actually want to play that's not disc based and then just download all other digital games overnight...hmmmmm...seems like this might be easier....

This is what I'm thinking. Can't I just back up my saves on a flash drive and move on? I can re download games as needed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Seems that using a LAN cable directly between the PS4s is the quickest way. I've transfered 366.3GB in about two hours. First i started doing it through my switch/hub and it said that it would take about 9 hours. I let it run for about two hours, then i canceled it, doing a direct LAN cable connection instead.

Ozorov

So I will install a new HDD in the Pro then do the transfer.
1)download the 4.05 OS thing that is 800+ MB and put in a USB stick
2) swap the HDD
3) turn on the Pro in safe mode with the USB stick attached and install the OS
4) deactivate my old PS4
5) start the transfer from the Pro using Ethernet cable between the two PS4s

Something I have missed?

Atkison04

Hmmm, been transferring over wifi with lan plugged between my og ps4 and the new pro for an hour now and I'm not seeing a timer/ countdown at all. Just the header that says "transfer data to ps4" and below with a loading symbol saying "transferring". Seems like everyone else is getting a count down of sorts. Is this what I get for using the wifi option during peak wifi usage while I'm using wifi to write this message lol?

daftstar

Complete noob here. For those getting rid of OG PS4, are you guys doing a full or quick initialization? Also do I deactivate my account before or after initializing?

This is what I did:

If you have an external hard drive
1) Deauthorize OG PS4
2) Backup your OG to the external hard drive
3) Remove and swap the hard drives so the 1TB is now in the OG and the 2TB is in the Pro
4) Follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to install the OS to both systems
5) Follow standard setup on the Pro and then do a Restore from Backup from the external hard drive
6) Restore the OG PS4 from the backup if you're so inclined.

If you don't have an external hard drive, but do have an external enclosure
1) Take drive out of the Pro and put it in the enclosure
2) Deauthorize OG PS4
3) Backup your OG to the Pro drive in the external enclosure
4) Remove and move 2TB the hard drive so the 2TB is now in the Pro
5) Follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to install the OS to the Pro
6) Follow standard setup on the Pro and then do a Restore from Backup from the external hard drive
7) Take the 1TB drive from the enclosure and put it in the OG
8) Install the OS to the OG

This worked perfectly! Thank you!!!

Bog

Junior Ace
Is there any benefit to leaving the stock 1TB in versus putting in a standard 2 TB from my old PS4? Is it faster or anything?

I'm doing it over wifi right now. Both ps4's wireless, only connected to each other with cable. I have only 230 gig of data and it says one hour left. That's okay I guess? I'll take it, I want this transfer to be done. I just hope the connection holds.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/transfer.html

You only connect two PS4s DIRECTLY to each other if you're doing it over WiFi. If you're doing wired/LAN, you need to connect both of them to the same router/switch.

Well

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/11/09/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-ps4-to-ps4-pro/

Next, connect the two PS4s together with a LAN cable, into their respective LAN ports on the back of the console.

Alternatively, you can connect each PS4 to your router, using two LAN cables. The transfer process will be exactly the same.

Seems that using a LAN cable directly between the PS4s is the quickest way. I've transfered 366.3GB in about two hours. First i started doing it through my switch/hub and it said that it would take about 9 hours. I let it run for about two hours, then i canceled it, doing a direct LAN cable connection instead.

I did it through my router and transferred 560 GB in a little over 120 mins.

Shevat

Neo Member

Yep, just finished transfering with a direct LAN (cat6 cable) connection. Took about 50 minutes to transfer 202gb.

forms

When initializing a ps4 before trading it in, can the store detect that I just selected quick initialization? If possible I would prefer to do that and then change my psn password instead, as I would like to avoid waiting several hours for a full initialization.

Jezbollah

OK so prior to my PS4P delivery, I had a launch PS4 with my 1tbSSHD in. The process to move my data and swap HDDs for me was as follows:

1) Connect both PS4s to my network and power them both up
2) Start the Network Copy process on my PS4P
3) Once the PS4P Network Copy was done, Sign in and log onto PS4P
4) Perform a USB backup to an external HDD (mine is a 1tb USB3 Samsung HDD)
5) Once the USB backup was done, power down and unplug both PS4s
6) Swap internal HDDs. PS4P had my 1tb SSHD installed, Launch PS4, my stock PS4P 1tb HDD after this
7) Grabbed a 1gb USB stick formatted with Fat32 (or xFat). Created a folder structure as follows: PS4\UPDATE
8) Downloaded the FULL PS4P Update file from here - weighs in at around 811mb (NOT the incremental update that is 300mb. That wont work.
9) Copied the 811mb PSPUpdate.pup file into the PS4\UPDATE\ directory on USB stick
10) Powered on the Launch PS4 with stock PS4P 1tb HDD with USB stick and MicroUSB cable attached connected to a controller
11) Pressed the PS button on the Launch PS4 "cannot start PS4" error page. Selected to install the system via the USB Stick. This essentially reimaged the Launch PS4 to use the newly installed stock PS4P HDD
12) Performed the exact same step as above with the PS4P with my SSHD installed
13) Signed into my PS4P and performed the restore of my USB Backup from my external drive

It took around 5 hours to do the above but now I have my Launch PS4 to give away to my mate and his family for Christmas, with the PS4P stock HDD installed and at the factory install screen, and my PS4P has my SSHD in and all my configuration sorted.

Yiorgos

I want to transfer from OG PS4 to PS4 Pro. My OG PS4 has more than one account on it with games bought from another country's store. I can play all the games with my US account that is the main one though. Is there something else i should do during the transfer to the Pro? I am going to use the direct LAN cable method. Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated.

I want to transfer from OG PS4 to PS4 Pro. My OG PS4 has more than one account on it with games bought from another country's store. I can play all the games with my US account that is the main one though. Is there something else i should do during the transfer to the Pro? I am going to use the direct LAN cable method. Thanks very much. Greatly appreciated.

During the transfer you have to check all your accounts and the system will ask you to "login in" in all of them to activate them in your Pro. Is very easy

Ricker

Complete noob here. For those getting rid of OG PS4, are you guys doing a full or quick initialization? Also do I deactivate my account before or after initializing?

Quick is fine and I am pretty sure that will deactivate it but you can do it before if you want since you probably wont be able after ini...

So l can connect both to broadband and transfer ps4 to pro wirelessly? o_O

You still need a lan(ethernet)cable between the 2,but yes the 2 PS4 can be connected wirelessly.(so its like 1 cable instead of 2)

Ronin7th

Neo Member
Does anyone know if transferring over my data will remove the data currently on the pro? Hoping to do it overnight and play a few games in the interim.

Top Bottom