• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

Well got my 2tb firecuda in and did teh data transfer between consoles using a CAT6 cable. Transferred 1.21tb of data in 4 hours and 10-15 mins. Very quick process, direct connect between consoles with a CAT6 is the way to go for sure.

I just picked one up and here's my situation:

I have an OG PS4 with my primary account activated. I want my brothers to be able to play any of the games I buy digitally, so I can play on the Pro while they play on the OG(e.g. we both play Battlefield 1 simultaneously). What do I do to set this up? Is it even possible? Any help would be appreciated!

Frillen

So I'll be getting the Pro on Monday, not selling the OG yet though. When I start the transfer, will that automatically deactivate my PSN User from the OG? Or do I have to deactivate before the transfer? I only have one account.

Well got my 2tb firecuda in and did teh data transfer between consoles using a CAT6 cable. Transferred 1.21tb of data in 4 hours and 10-15 mins. Very quick process, direct connect between consoles with a CAT6 is the way to go for sure.

Are you saying don't run this through your LAN and just straight connect a cat6 the old PS4 to the ps4pro?

Are you saying don't run this through your LAN and just straight connect a cat6 the old PS4 to the ps4pro?

Yep that's it. They have to both be online first though. So set them up to connect to WiFi both on same network. Have CAT6 connecting the consoles to their respective Ethernet ports. Then do the transfer. The way I see it is if the data is being transferred over ether net and the WiFi is just used for validation/activation, then you are only limited speed wise by the limit of the ports and cables.

1.2TB in less than 4 1/2 hours is pretty good.

I started it at like 10:20pm, went to bed and my dog woke me up at like 2:50. Went to get something to drink, noticed the original PS4 was off. Turned TV on and checked. Was 100% complete.

I've got a 2tb in my og ps4 that i want to swap with my pro 1tb. What do I need to do?

Can i just factory reset my og and take the drive out and put it into the pro and then do the USB step with 4.05, or are there extra steps?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Damn, I started a 350gb transfer with both systems hooked up to my switch and it said 10 hours. I restarted the transfer with them both plugged directly into my router instead and it says 56 minutes.

Anybody have any ideas as to why my 2TB HDD when installed into the ps4 pro is asking for update 3.70 or lower to continue any further? I tried the latest update and it won't accept it. I've tried older updates from some ps4 wiki page and it doesnt accept it. Any ideas?

Jezbollah

Anybody have any ideas as to why my 2TB HDD when installed into the ps4 pro is asking for update 3.70 or lower to continue any further? I tried the latest update and it won't accept it. I've tried older updates from some ps4 wiki page and it doesnt accept it. Any ideas?

As per my previous post, you need to ensure you have the FULL installation UPDATE.PUP

If your file is 300mb, you have the incremental update. You need the full fat 800mb update. See my post for the direct link.

NeonDelta

has anyone had problems upgrading hard drive?

I got a black screen, I have sound, ive tried different HDMI ports and tried turning HDR etc,, off on the tv,

trying initialising again now,

I am using the 850mb file

Turning hdcp off in safe mode fixed it

cLOUDo

Can I use my psn+ account in my ps4 and ps4 pro at the same time?
If I buy and download a game in my older ps4, can I downloaded in the pro as well, right?

Brandson

Just bought a Pro, and moved my SSD from my original PS4 into it. I did the Backup/Restore process but it was corrupted so I lost everything. I actually don't care that much about that.

I didn't know about deactivating my original PS4 before removing the HD. I'm planning on putting the HD from the Pro in it, and keeping it, mainly as a blu-ray player for another tv. Do I need to deactivate it to make my Pro the primary PS4 or am I ok leaving it as is?

If I need to deactivate it, would doing a clean setup on a new HD allow me to do that or is my only option at this point to do the 6-month deactivate-all devices online? If I deactivate-all, does that screw up my PS3 and Vita at all?

What if I want to start with a fresh new console, and just want to keep my savegames?

If I got it, I just have to be sure to have savegames uploaded on PSplus cloud, deactivate old Ps4 as primary console and then restore it to factory default. On new PsPro, input my account and I'm done. Correct?

atpbx

What if I want to start with a fresh new console, and just want to keep my savegames?

If I got it, I just have to be sure to have savegames uploaded on PSplus cloud, deactivate old Ps4 as primary console and then restore it to factory default. On new PsPro, input my account and I'm done. Correct?

You need to manually download the saves from the cloud.

It also won't download them for a game if it isn't installed yet.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Finally i did it and took me 7 hours to pass 280gb from the ps4 to the ps4 pro with the lan method in the same router.

Neiteio

So USB backup to an external drive is good, right? Can someone link me to a good drive to buy on Amazon? I'll be transferring from a 500GB OG PS4.

Also, can I backup PT on a separate USB stick too, just to be safe?

Bebpo

Banned
Not working for me? I have them both on, go to transfer, it says PS4 found hit power button on old PS4 until beep, I do that and nothing happens?

Been trying this for a few minutes. Nothing seems to be triggering the activating transfer options on the new ps4 pro?

Phreak47

First time I tried the transfer, I stopped for a moment on the "activate this ps4" step because I wanted to make sure of what I was doing... so then i come back and decide to choose yes (maybe 5 minutes later?) and the transfer errors out. My other PS4 decided to shut down. What the hell? Decided quicker the second time, now it's running and has about an hour left. Guess I'll be actually playing with it tomorrow.

Sooo, I've got a question and I'm not sure if it's been asked and answered already so forgive me.

I got my Pro yesterday and plan on transferring everything from my OG to the Pro this evening. I'm keeping my OG to put in the bedroom and the Pro will live in the living room. Is it possible to keep the same primary account on both? I'm the only user really so it'd be nice to be able to continuing playing one game on both consoles by downloading a cloud save and continuing on.

Put in my Firecuda and it's working fine. I put both PS4s on a brand new Netgear GS205 gigabit switch, made sure both cables said Cat 5e, and it's still taking 14 hours for 700 GB. The Netgear says it's unmanaged and "Auto-negotiation for automatic connection at the highest common speed between switch and an end device" but yet it's giving me 100 mbps speeds. Both cables are clearly labeled Cat 5e.

Phreak47

Put in my Firecuda and it's working fine. I put both PS4s on a brand new Netgear GS205 gigabit switch, made sure both cables said Cat 5e, and it's still taking 14 hours for 700 GB. The Netgear says it's unmanaged and "Auto-negotiation for automatic connection at the highest common speed between switch and an end device" but yet it's giving me 100 mbps speeds. Both cables are clearly labeled Cat 5e.

Huh weird... I was only transferring about 500GB, and my estimate was about 3 hours but it actually only took about 2. They are both connected to a tp-link 8 port gigabit switch.

Did you actually let it run a while? In my case it overestimated at first but then chunks of time were falling off it after starting.

Huh weird... I was only transferring about 500GB, and my estimate was about 3 hours but it actually only took about 2. They are both connected to a tp-link 8 port gigabit switch.

Did you actually let it run a while? In my case it overestimated at first but then chunks of time were falling off it after starting.
It literally took from 8 pm to 10 am the next day.

@Wreck

lol after all that effort i just ended up downloading what i'm currently play plus saves

and that was easy

i still have my semi og (LOU bundle)

pro's been good

playing skyrim it tends to rev up more around snow and water

but looks great!

NYHorn36

I asked in the update thread but I'll ask here too. I plan on installing a new sshd on a new PS4 Pro tonight and transferring all my old PS4 stuff through Ethernet cables/wifi.

My computer's busted so I went to a friend's the other night to download the 850gb 4.05 update to initialize the Pro. However, today they rolled out 4.06, so will I have to go back over and redownload the new version? I'm assuming my "old" PS4 will download today in rest mode or when I turn it on tonight.

I just picked one up and here's my situation:

I have an OG PS4 with my primary account activated. I want my brothers to be able to play any of the games I buy digitally, so I can play on the Pro while they play on the OG(e.g. we both play Battlefield 1 simultaneously). What do I do to set this up? Is it even possible? Any help would be appreciated!
Keep the OG PS4 as primary and the Pro seconary that's it

Gradly

I just got Pro, and I wanna get my 2TB HDD from PS4 and place it in it, then I'm gonna put the stock HDD back in PS4 and sell it, here is the steps I'm planning to do, if anyone thinks I'm doing something wrong plz let me know:

1- do trophies sync
2- Backup over 1.2TB data to an external 2TB HDD via USB (it may take around 6 hours to finish)
3- turn on PS4 Pro and try to restore the backup to only test if it was successful not corrupted
4- deactivate PS4
5- remove the HDD from PS4 and place it in Pro
6- format and I guess it will ask to install the latest software
7- do restore from the external drive
8- make Pro primary

And that's it right?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
What if i just want to transfer the PT demo from my ps4 to ps4 pro, can i just back it up to my usb thumbdrive?

If you do the transfer between the 2 ps4 via the transfer option no problem.I don't know the other option you want if it gonna work.

oatmeal

Banned
I have begun the back up process...11 hours to go.

Pro arrives tomorrow so it should be done and I can put the 2TB into it, shouldn't have any problems I hope.

oatmeal

Banned
Alright...Pro is connected, new drive is in it...can't start because the new drive is in.

My USB drive that I backed up not working, need to do the update first I guess...downloading the big one now to put on a stick. Let's hope this works.

CLEEK

I swapped out the stock 500GB drive with a 2TB drive a while back on my launch PS4.

When I got the Pro, did the network transfer, which took 5 hours to copy 750GB of data.

Borrowed an external HDD from work and swapped over the HDDs between consoles this weekend to have the 2TB drive in the Pro. Backed up both first, swapped over HDDs, then initialized, firmware updated and restored. Each restore took the same time as the original network transfer.

Was surprised how painless it all was. Only hitch was when the Pro started up in safe mode, it wouldn't recognise any controller. Change the USB cable and it worked, but panic set in for a moment. No issues encountered on either console since. All games working. All data, saves etc came over.

oatmeal

Banned
Restoring now...the USB wasn't working straight to the fresh drive transfer, had to put the software update (full one, not just the incremental) on a USB stick and set that up first.

BillyJack

Banned
My brother just got his Pro and I honestly can't remember how I set mine up.
He has both of his PS4's on and on the same network. His question is does he sign in to PSN on the Pro first then transfer or does he deactivate all the PS4's on his account then sign in to his PSN?

zma1013

When connecting the consoles using ethernet cable, do I need to have them both connected to a router or just connect them dorectly with a single cable?

Also, is there no way to just select a single application to backup? I just want to backup PT but it seems I have to do everything?

I need help. I removed my HDD from my OG PS4 and put it in my PS4 Pro, downloaded the update file from Sony's site, but I keep getting error codes. It's the 300,000KB file though, apparently there's an recovery update I need too, but I can't find it? Please help!!!!

Kholdy

Neo Member
I need help. I removed my HDD from my OG PS4 and put it in my PS4 Pro, downloaded the update file from Sony's site, but I keep getting error codes. It's the 300,000KB file though, apparently there's an recovery update I need too, but I can't find it? Please help!!!!

Are you trying to do a new installation?
You have to download a 900MB file

System Update

Search for this section: Perform a New Installation of the System Software

Follow those instructions, it has a link to download the 900MB file.

Remember that this process will wipe your HDD clean!!

jbug617

Banned
I have a question. My brother wants my PS4 and I think I will just get a Pro as my replacement. The thing is that he lives in another state and doesn't have a PSN. Can we share my account? What is the process of sharing (who has to be set as primary etc)?

I'm planning to do the transfer from the PS4 to Pro via LAN cable.

Fury451

Banned
I absolutely cannot get this to work. I've followed every step but keep getting a network time out error. Thoughts or troubleshooting?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I absolutely cannot get this to work. I've followed every step but keep getting a network time out error. Thoughts or troubleshooting?

What's your setup, how are you connecting? Because that timeout can happen, multiple times even. It failed 4 or 5 times for me before the transfer eventually started.

Fury451

Banned
What's your setup, how are you connecting? Because that timeout can happen, multiple times even. It failed 4 or 5 times for me before the transfer eventually started.

I've tried through 2 different wireless networks now. I set up to transfer via LAN, and then it stops at the last step every time. If you want more specific info, I can lookup what my connection is, but I can't seem to find anything online about this issue

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've tried through 2 different wireless networks now. I set up to transfer via LAN, and then it stops at the last step every time. If you want more specific info, I can lookup what my connection is, but I can't seem to find anything online about this issue

I did the same thing. I was sure it wasn't going to work until it actually did on one more retry. Just to say that it eventually can after a couple of errors, I hope it does for you.

I had both ps4's connected to each other with a LAN cable, and both connected wireless to the router.

Fury451

Banned
I did the same thing. I was sure it wasn't going to work until it actually did on one more retry. Just to say that it eventually can after a couple of errors, I hope it does for you.

I had both ps4's connected with a LAN cable, and both ps4's connected wireless to the router.

I'll keep giving it a shot then, thanks. It's weird because it seems relatively smooth for most from what I've read

Andrefpvs

I have a question. My brother wants my PS4 and I think I will just get a Pro as my replacement. The thing is that he lives in another state and doesn't have a PSN. Can we share my account? What is the process of sharing (who has to be set as primary etc)?

I'm planning to do the transfer from the PS4 to Pro via LAN cable.

You can share your account if you set his PS4 as primary on your account.

You will have to always be online when you want to play on your console, though.

CKD5989

I was planning on taking advantage of the additional $50 Gamestop is offering to trade in my OG PS4 so I backed up my data (PT in tow) last night with no issues. So of course Sony puts out a new firmware update today.

I guess my question is do I have to install the newest firmware update on my current PS4 and backup my data again before making the switch? Really wouldn't be that big of a deal but given it takes about 3-4 hours to backup my current PS4 it's really just a hassle I'd like to avoid if possible.

Please help:

I want to back up pt

I backed it up to a USB

I must first give away my ps4 to gamestop in order to get an upgrade to the slim. I will wipe my hdd and trade it

With the new slim model, do I just plug in my USB and restore pt? Or can I only transfer pt to a new hdd on the SAME PS4, as opposed to a new one?

Top Bottom