• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

JoeInky

honestly the thing that I get most from this review is that the original Ghostbusters is way funnier than I remember

I think a lot of people seem to think the original Ghostbusters is worse than it actually is, it absolutely is one of the greatest comedies ever made.

It's a lot more constructive that I'd thought it would be; I was bracing for "This movie cast women, so it sucked", but the review is pretty insightful in how the material and the director are at odds with one another.

I'm left with the feeling that Mike thought there would be more to make fun of and dissect, but it sounds like the film is just a run-of-the-mill bad and not really worthy of an hour long discussion.

Sanjuro

Maybe this guy's gimmick was blackface in 1952.

inH5QMS.jpg

Fox318

I defended the film more than most on here, but it's not good and absolutely baffling how the final product was released in the state it was. The extended version corrects many problems.

I mean it looks like a fucking shitty Sony movie mixed with a grossout adult comedy targeting female moviegoers remaking a movie that may be one of the pillars of boyhood culture of the 80s.

Just from a premise it seems like a massive fuck up.

JoeInky

It's a lot more constructive that I'd thought it would be; I was bracing for "This movie cast women, so it sucked", but the review is pretty insightful in how the material and the director are at odds with one another..

I don't get why anyone was thinking they'd say this when we were talking about it in the last thread.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It's a lot more constructive that I'd thought it would be; I was bracing for "This movie cast women, so it sucked", but the review is pretty insightful in how the material and the director are at odds with one another.

not sure why anyone actually familiar with rlm would have expected that.

ZoddGutts

Gonna watch the rest later, but the bit about how there's Coke ads everywhere, and Papa Jonh's ads repeatedly, but generic drinks with Papa Jonh's because they sell Pepsi was kind of mind blowing.

This would help if it's put in the OP and about that first post in this thread...

jett

D-Member
10 minutes in, already got queef jokes and invasive product placement. Maybe this movie is actually worse than I thought.

Im confused by all of this and didnt see the last thread. Why were peoppe angry?

If they're talking about the gender swapping thread that got locked, it's probably because the thread mostly turned into an angry back and forth from fans and detractors of GB 2016.

I'm gonna check out the review tomorrow. From what I'm reading here, sounds like he's not doing too bad.

Sanjuro

I mean it looks like a fucking shitty Sony movie mixed with a grossout adult comedy targeting female moviegoers remaking a movie that may be one of the pillars of boyhood culture of the 80s.

Just from a premise it seems like a massive fuck up.

Pixels had more passion placed into it, setting the world's lowest bar.

JoeInky

I've still not watched the new ghostbusters but is that whole breaking through the black bars really throughout the whole film? It's fucking obnoxious and in almost ever scene they've shown of it.

It's so fucking obnoxious.

I mean holy shit, leslies gold chain on her necklace comes out of the black bars in the "power of patty compels you" scene at 52:49

ZoddGutts

The hate on Ghostbusters 2 and how it compares to the 2016 film is like some weird inverted rose tinted glasses. The film may not stack up to the original but it is, without a doubt, much better than the reboot.

The 2016 films pre opening scene feels straight up like an SNL bit with an extended budget

I always got the feeling because it's not as well regarded as the original, it gets played up as being bad and it's use as a cover for the remake, even though the 2nd movie is the far better of the two films.

Edit: Also watched the Ghostbusters 2 after seeing the remake, and still enjoyed it more, definitely saw more of the flaws the film had that I didn't see as a kid, but still a fun time overall.

Ekai

I'm left with the feeling that Mike thought there would be more to make fun of and dissect, but it sounds like the film is just a run-of-the-mill bad and not really worthy of an hour long discussion.

This is my take-away so far. Honestly surprised since their previous videos on the movie involved downplaying all the sexism.

But the review is actually pretty even-handed. And also presents some decent insights on how to better edit the film. Easily the best section of this review.

JoeInky

You don't even need the 'comedy' qualifier. It's one of the greatest films of all time. Period.

I agree, but I wouldn't want to upset anyone by calling it a good film, apparently that's just my rose-tinted glasses and it was actually a poorly written film or some shit. I seem to remember pre-release GB16 threads being full of that kind of shit.

yuoke

Banned
Lol, the judd apatow part was great.

He made one offhand ironic comment about not trying to be sexist. Other than that, most of the review is ripping on feig and sony. No controversy here to be had.

I always got the feeling because it's not as well regarded as the original, it gets played up as being bad and it's use as a cover for the remake, even though the 2nd movie is the far better of the two films.

It's mediocre at best.

I agree, but I wouldn't want to upset anyone by calling it a good film, apparently that's just my rose-tinted glasses and it was actually a poorly written film or some shit. I seem to remember pre-release GB16 threads being full of that kind of shit.

About the original? Are you sure you not thinking about the sequel? The original has always been highly regarded.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"the actors took over the film"

probably the most damning line from the whole thing. Really sums up a lot of the problems mentioned throughout.

Fitts

Finished it. Got better as it went on. And I agree, "bigger/more is better" seems to be the mentality that ruined this movie.

honestly the thing that I get most from this review is that the original Ghostbusters is way funnier than I remember

I loved it as a kid, but it gets better to me as I get older. Same thing happened with Back to the Future.

...not Johnny Dangerously, though. Ugh.

I don't get why people have problems with red letter media. They've never really said anything that politically other then just making fun of overreactions from people. I'm not done with the video but it feels like a classic plinket video.

All in all I think the review was decent, but it doesn't say anything earth-shattering, and really retreads a lot of ground they already covered in the HitB episode of the film. Sony executive meddling, too much improv, Feig's lack of vision, and awful product placement are the key points he makes. No overt sexism or anything like that. The worst thing is referring to Melissa McCarthy as "fatso" a few times.

It's kind of hilarious how the most shocking thing in this review is the Papa John's / Coca-Cola revelation.

Ekai

I don't get why people have problems with red letter media. They've never really said anything that politically other then just making fun of overreactions from people. I'm not done with the video but it feels like a classic plinket video.

You really want to open that can of worms? Cause, yea, they've said some problematic things. They've improved in some regards. Hell, this review doesn't even have any annoying downplaying of sexism like they did before. Soooo....improvement? I guess.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The tone and editing couldn't be further from one another than between these two movies. It's just aggravating even watching the clips in this.

Sephzilla

Finished it. Yeah, that was a pretty solid breakdown about how the movie didn't work. Also that Papa John's / Coke thing was some next level product placement shit I didn't even think about

Man, those two minutes of hate for Bill Murray. :(

Yes, this movie got made, but the other pitches weren't really all that hot either. The Max Landis one did mean to include the comics back into it though, which at least could have saved it somewhat.

Top Bottom