• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

Well, within the first 5 minutes he appears to be unironically shitting on Freaks & Geeks, Spy and Bridesmaids as boring crap.

So, bad start.

SugarDave

The slobbering anticipation for this "takedown" is a sad extension of the original, mysogynist cynicism that accompanied the initial casting announcement.

"Slobbering anticipation"? Didn't they only say they were doing this within the last day? Unless I'm mistaken there, I'd wager most people had simply forgotten about the film.

I'll give this review 10 minutes tomorrow and see if I find it interesting or funny enough to finish.

IrishNinja

The slobbering anticipation for this "takedown" is a sad extension of the original, mysogynist cynicism that accompanied the initial casting announcement.

that's the elephant in the room, yes

Well, within the first 5 minutes he appears to be unironically shitting on Freaks & Geeks, Spy and Bridesmaids as boring crap.

So, bad start.

yeah i know i'm not giving this a fair shake but that was a poor way to set the tone, both freaks & geeks and spy were awesome - the later showed me statham should do more comedy

GhaleonEB

Gonna watch the rest later, but the bit about how there's Coke ads everywhere, and Papa Jonh's ads repeatedly, but generic drinks with Papa Jonh's because they sell Pepsi was kind of mind blowing.

honestly the first 15-20 minutes of the review are pretty weak and meandering, but after that he starts comparing the 2016 version to the original, sometimes shot-for-shot, and it gets stronger then (at least up until the part I'm at)

I cannot really approve of them slamming Spy, Bridesmaids, and Freaks & Geeks. Though maybe that's supposed to be more Plinkett's character?

I think they watched those movies as part of Half In The Bag, and I don't remember them being negative on them, so I think that's more of a character thing. Though I doubt the Ghostbusters movie has improved Mike's feelings on Feig.

The review gets into the movie proper about 20 minutes in, for those who want to skip the "Sony Pictures is a hot mess" part. But those product placements, dear god. Also: Jack & Jill footage... They actually own that blu-ray...

tumblr_osd7sqaJjs1ua7tzho2_400.gif

still better than 2 though

5HaQPlj.jpg

Well, I guess Plinkett reviews have officially run their course.

Most of us are still in the process of watching the video. But you got early access?

Fox318

I've found the reaction to this move absolutely fascinating.

From the outside its a Sony picture from the people who make Adam Sandler movies remaking something that really didn't need a remake.

But to some its a symbol of fighting sexism in media and society and to others it represents some sort of PC invasion or exploration of a media property representing their childhood. I once heard somebody say this would be like if the Wire was recast with the cast of Portlandia.

I really hope there is a great book about this film one day as there's so much reaction its generated for something that appears to be pretty forgettable.

yeah i know i'm not giving this a fair shake but that was a poor way to set the tone, both freaks & geeks and spy were awesome - the later showed me statham should do more comedy

Paul Feig has been carried by talented writers in all of his work that has been well received.

GhaleonEB

ProTip:

How to participate in this thread: watch the review and talk about it.

How to get banned from the forum: preemptively shit on the thread because it exists, derail the thread by talking about how you're not going to watch the review in question, dive head first into meta commentary, etc.

border

If Freaks & Geeks were the only thing on Feig's resume, I probably would have thought he was a good fit to make a new Ghostbusters film. That show was full of dry sarcasm and deadpan.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The hate on Ghostbusters 2 and how it compares to the 2016 film is like some weird inverted rose tinted glasses. The film may not stack up to the original but it is, without a doubt, much better than the reboot.

Hot damn.

Comparing the pre-credits openings of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2k16 says it all really.

The 2016 films pre opening scene feels straight up like an SNL bit with an extended budget

If Freaks & Geeks were the only thing on Feig's resume, I probably would have thought he was a good fit to make a new Ghostbusters film. That show was full of dry sarcasm and deadpan.

This review made be sad because I honestly forgot Feig created one of my favorite shows.

Fjordson

So, bad start.
Not totally. Sounds like it at first, but they praise Bridesmaids and Spy later on. It's more that they / Plinkett think Feig is an unremarkable director and was not a primary part of what made them good movies.

aadiboy

Is listening to this voice for an hour really worth it for these videos? I'm not sure why everyone enjoys them so much.

Not totally, they praise Bridesmaids and Spy later on. It's more that they / Plinkett think Feig is an unremarkable director and was not a primary part of what made them good movies.

Freaks and Geeks is better than all that shit. (and he did a fine job doing the action-comedy thing with Spy)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That scene by scene comparison preceded by Feig saying he wanted to reboot it to make a new origin story...lol.

kadotsu

Banned
I cannot really approve of them slamming Spy, Bridesmaids, and Freaks & Geeks. Though maybe that's supposed to be more Plinkett's character?

Bridesmaids gets put into context later. He means that the good stuff of Bridesmaids (the script) wasn't done by Feig.

He is on the cast now and he does praise the four leads for their work in other things, but feels like the way the script is written and they way they did improv in the movie makes the film worse.
Edit: Had to edited it.

Fox318

That's where I have been at. 2016 was a weird year for me, but at least I had Ghostbusters 2016.

I still haven't seen the movie so I can't say I have an opinion of it as a film but its just crazy to me how everything was put together and how it became such a lighting rod of controversy.

Sanjuro

I still haven't seen the movie so I can't say I have an opinion of it as a film but its just crazy to me how everything was put together and how it became such a lighting rod of controversy.

I defended the film more than most on here, but it's not good and absolutely baffling how the final product was released in the state it was. The extended version corrects many problems.

Bridesmaids gets put into context later. He means that the good stuff of Bridesmaids (the script) wasn't done by Feig.

But a big problem with this comedy, and a lot of modern comedies, is the 'babbling improv', as he puts it. How similar is the film to the pre-filming script?

While watching this I can't help but think Tony Zhou's "How to Do Visual Comedy" is a very good companion piece.

Yes, also "how an editor thinks and feels" as a companion to the editing segment of this review that concludes at 40 minutes into it.

"in appreciation of silence" works too, to explain the point of why silence is a superior sound to 'talking annoyingly' in a serious movie.

edit: also, those zoom-ins on extra crew are amazing, particularly with the short skit at 40 minutes. Jay being bored in the back. :D

JCHandsom

Ok, so I have to admit I'm a total sucker for those cheesy, overwrought theme remixes, so I actually really liked the one for the reboot.

yuoke

Banned
He is on the cast now and he does praise the four leads for their work in other things, but feels like the way the script is written and they way they did improv in the movie.

I mean he said this before the movie even came out, and said he had some kind of hope it could be funny because of that.

Top Bottom