• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS clarifies Minecraft's Super Duper Graphics DLC coming to all crossplay platforms

How far is this behind the Java version for features / new blocks and stuff?

Is it the plan for this one to fully take over as lead?

WillyFive

What I wonder is if this'll come to the "classic" Minecraft, rather than just the W10 edition. If yes, I'll likely jump in again. The Shader mods on PC never really worked well for me, I'll admit, so it'd be welcome to get an official implementation.

I doubt it. The Java game already does everything in the update except cross play (since it's a fundamentally different game and engine), and if they wanted to they could just bundle someone's shader with every version.

Infinite worlds with a controller and shaders is actually nice.

If it's 60fps on XB1 original, I'd consider getting back into Minecraft if the other gameplay content and features from Java version are also in.

fernoca

Maybe Sony's refusal had to do more with them been publishers of the Minecraft versions of their platforms, so they get a good chunk of the money (?). While every version part of this "together" thing is published by Microsoft.

And maybe I missed it, but Wii U version hasn't been mentioned, has it? Though Switch is the only platform I don't currently own this game, Wii U is were I play it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Maybe Sony's refusal had to do more with them been publishers of the Minecraft versions of their platforms, so they get a good chunk of the money (?). While every version part of this "together" thing is published by Microsoft.

And maybe I missed it, but Wii U version hasn't been mentioned, has it? Though Switch is the only platform I don't currently own this game, Wii U is were I play it.

I don't see 360 mentioned, either. So I guess it's more current platforms.

NimbusD

Hell yeah. Minecraft is such a hard aesthetic to get into, it feels like playing with those off brand megablocks. This might help.

Ok. Seriously why did Sony Say no to this? It's pretty much bullshit. First Rocket Leauge and Now this? Come on.

I'd play Minecraft more often if I was able to play with my friends across platforms and all the other benifts are exactly what Minecraft needs on all the platforms other then the pc.

Should a Twitter campaign or something start to kinda force Sony's hand?

Cerium

How far is this behind the Java version for features / new blocks and stuff?

Is it the plan for this one to fully take over as lead?

The intention does seem to be for this to become the lead version; it's getting renamed across all platforms as simply "Minecraft."

Java Edition will remain the Java Edition.

mi_06.jpg

Wait, so the Switch version will have unlimited worlds now too? That's pretty cool. May have just sold themselves a copy on Switch.

GDGF

Soothsayer
And now I am completely sold on Minecraft Switch.

First time I will be playing this game. Looking forward to it.

Cerium

Wait, so the Switch version will have unlimited worlds now too? That's pretty cool. May have just sold themselves a copy on Switch.

Switch will be getting what everyone else is getting. One version of the game across all platforms, with full feature parity. That's the purpose of this update/relaunch.

Honestly? It's about as close to Minecraft 2 as we're likely to ever get.

Are the Realms going to have infinite land or just the non-realms? Are Realms basically private servers? So I can include who I want and anyone can go in whenever?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I actually just bought the Minecraft for Switch pretty much because of all the announcements today -- can't wait to start seeing it all come in!

I would *absolutely* be okay with 30fps on Switch, if it came with all this cool shit, especially since it'll typically run 60fps.
Yeah, I feel like buying Minecraft myself

The intention does seem to be for this to become the lead version; it's getting renamed across all platforms as simply "Minecraft."

Java Edition will remain the Java Edition.

Awesome and it makes sense to finally 'modernise' it. I guess the major modding community is lost but if they bring enough stuff into the bedrock game then it doesn't matter much.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Since I'm not a Minecraft player, I will take your word on it. No denying that Mods probably could work wonders into Minecraft and I have seen just how crazy it can get.

For one reason or another, Sony has been really paranoid about Crossplay. I don't know when it started, but I think it was back when Rocket League expressed interest for crossplay. Microsoft was all for it, but Sony turned down the offer. Seems like the first actual "Cross-Console" play could very well be between Microsoft and Nintendo. Mind you if there was something that had happened sooner (not counting Xbox and PC for obvious reasons), then feel free to correct me.
There was a chess game that released some years back, it was on wiiU and is cosplay(i have it) o don't know if Sony was in on that however

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm impressed - this is how you do cross-platform. I might get Minecraft just on principle now.

Caayn

I might have to jump on board for this Minecraft business. Will this be ok for my 4 year old daughter?
See it as digital legos. If your daughter isn't comfortable with games I'd recommend the creative mode where she gets full access to all different blocks and monsters won't attack her (or you can disable the monsters from spawning if you want).

I might have to jump on board for this Minecraft business. Will this be ok for my 4 year old daughter?

My son and daughter both started playing Minecraft at about this age. You will probably need to sit down together so you can teach her how to play a bit. I'd say mostly just start out in creative mode, show her how to pick out which blocks she wants to use and help her figure out the controls.

She'll be building stuff in no time, as a parent I am constantly impressed and amused at what my own kids build.

Damn Sony isn't getting this? Dumb move on their part imo. I have no idea what their reason is though.

I guess I'll be buying Minecraft again for Xbox One or for Switch if that version is as good as the Xbox version.

I own the game on Sony platforms, but it is definitely worth purchasing again in order to get this kind of massive upgrade.

The execs at Sony need to get their shit straight on this issue.

Looks like a fantastic update. Does the community market place contain mods like on the Java version?

Not yet, but they have announced and shown off their current progress on their Modding Tools, so once that is finished you can expect it'll be on the store.

OuterLimits

Wait, even the Fire TV is part of this? Kind of crazy that if I owned it on my Fire TV it would be getting an update. Unfortunately not on my PS4 though. Lol. Come on Sony.

Megatron

#4 the shareholders.

Hopefully Sony will change their minds if they get enough pressure. Seems like a cool update.

[
Wonder why they didnt just hold off for this version before they released on switch

This is Microsfot's call, not Nintendo's. Why not pick up an extra million sales or so on the Wiiu?

GodofWine

Yep, my kids both started gaming with MC around that age, and now they've moved onto additional more 'shooty' things, mainly Paladins, in which they now kick my butt and most other peoples too...scary thing is they are only 6 and 8 now.

----------------------------

Now, this whole Sony opting out BS is messing up stuff, can I still get the W10 version free if I own Java?

Woah wait, when was infinite worlds confirmed for Switch and X1? That's pretty cool.

And will there be a way to transfer saves cross-platform? I know you can set up servers, but I mean literally *just* copy the save over?

Camjo-Z

o shit. I have Minecraft on Xbone and Switch but I'm way more likely to play it on the latter so this is great.

Really useful post - thanks OP!

Interested to see if any PC gamers are annoyed that the original Java version is being demoted...there must be some surely!?

VeeP

I think if you sign up for Microsoft Mixer and watch a Xbox Daily Show you get minecraft for free on Xbox.

I see some folks saying they might buy minecraft, this way it's free ^.

Edit: it's not free lol, it's free skins. Sorry guys.

Top Bottom