• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS clarifies Minecraft's Super Duper Graphics DLC coming to all crossplay platforms

Okay so in my ignorance, this "initiative" is opt in, and Sony chose to not participate because of really shaky reasons?

something like that. The reasons Sony has given so far are shaky, anyway, which is why people have been subbing in their own, more reasonable (or sometimes not so much) explanations for why Sony declined.
It's more like Microsoft/Mojang want to upgrade Minecraft, but cross-play and the acct system that make it possible are keystones to the upgrade, enabling MS/Mojang to treat all versions as one during development, enabling unfragmented dedicated server support for all players, and enabling platform-agnostic DLC purchases. Sony declined cross-play support and/or the acct system that make it possible, so Microsoft/Mojang just aren't rolling out the upgrade on PS4, as neither PS4 players nor Mojang themselves would be able to take advantage of Bedrock's/Better Together's advantages on PS4.

something like that. The reasons Sony has given so far are shaky, anyway, which is why people have been subbing in their own, more reasonable (or sometimes not so much) explanations for why Sony declined.
It's more like Microsoft/Mojang want to upgrade Minecraft, but cross-play and the acct system that make it possible are a keystone of the upgrade, enabling MS/Mojang to treat all versions as one during development, enabling unfragmented dedicated server support for all players, and enabling platform-agnostic DLC purchases. Sony declined cross-play support and/or the acct system that make it possible, so Microsoft/Mojang just aren't rolling out the upgrade on PS4.

Good on MS then, the PS4 version should stagnate. It's a top seller on PSN. I hope it has some traction.

chemicals

...is there a large percentage of minecraft players who are graphics snobs I have to ask myself

I played Minecraft for years with the base graphics. For a while, I enjoyed changing the skins to see what my creations look like in different sets, but it got old fast. I like Minecraft to look like OG Minecraft. It's the only way to play, IMO.

blakep267

Yeah, Phil Spencer was asked a question about this topic specifically in an interview with Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb, a question that Jeff only asked because gamers were in a huff about it. I believe that's the extent of Microsoft's input on this matter. Ever since then, there's been a handful of posters who want to make it out like this entire situation was a ploy by Microsoft to generate negative press for Sony.
Pretty much. Mojang made 1 quote about it and Phil responded to the Jim Ryan thing in Guantbomb. Everything else has been other outlets or fans. MS isn't even talking about it constantly

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Best thing about the be together update is no longer having to wait many months to achieve parity between versions in terms of content and patches.

This is a god send.

Those that own Minecraft on multiple platforms (we have PC, Mobile, PS4, and Switch) know how big of a pita it is now.

No because they're not participating in Better Together and will not be getting the Bedrock Engine version of the game.

Not understanding the technical reason why an engine is tied to matchmaking. Like couldn't they just insert a bit of code that says PS4 players only matchmake with each other? Its not like they don't know what platform you're playing on.

Head.spawn

Xbox Live stats are used directly in Xbox marketing, thus increasing brand awareness for Sony's direct competitor. The numbers matter.

Look, I'm not saying this is a good decision, just explaining a theory on how they might be approaching it.

So are their game sales: Minecraft PS3, Minecraft Vita (that consoles best selling game in Japan, also broke Sony's decade old 1million sales cold streak over there) and Minecraft PS4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not understanding the technical reason why an engine is tied to matchmaking. Like couldn't they just insert a bit of code that says PS4 players only matchmake with each other? Its not like they don't know what platform you're playing on.

You don't match make?

Either you host a world or else you pay for a realm?

Why does it feel like a lot of people complaining about this one way or another feel like they don't actually play Minecraft?

You don't match make?

Either you host a world or else you pay for a realm?

Why does it feel like a lot of people complaining about this one way or another feel like they don't actually play Minecraft?

because a large portion of the contrarians who have posted in these threads the last few weeks don't actually know anything about Minecraft at all, but still feel qualified to make nebulous assumptions about what Minecraft is and how it works in defense of Sony's position.

You have no idea how many posts I've seen in these threads along the lines of

"well how would Sony even moderate Minecraft servers"
"who even plays Minecraft, I don't"
"Minecraft players aren't going to care about this"
"Well if it were a bigger game I'd understand the concern but it's just Minecraft"
"No seriously it's Minecraft who gives a fuck"
"Are you sure you're not overstating Minecraft's popularity? A lot of games are popular on Youtube"
"Minecraft players are casuals who won't even know about this lol"

and so on and so forth.

Just thumb through this thread and look at some of the shit I had to deal with.

You don't matchmake in Minecraft. Give this post of mine a read. It may clear things up for ya.

Read your post. So there are 4 physical servers, but aren't the actual game worlds virtualized? Even before you spawn into a world, don't you have to enter a queue to determine which world you're going to spawn into? Why can't PS4 players just spawn into their own world? Dunno, this doesn't seem like its some insurmountable problem that people seem to be making it out to be.

Console Warriors, because they don't want Sony's image to be besmirched. (Of course I'm not talking about non Sony console warriors here. IMO They would most likely want to see Sony try to hold out longer because of how bad it looks for Sony and because they love reveling in all the negative press Sony is getting for this. Every day Sony holds out is a win for them)

I wouldnt go as far as saying I'm a console warrior - I do plan on playing this on switch and Xbox - but after the last thread, I must admit, there is a part of me that hopes Sony will continue to hold out - only to see what happens. You know "see the world burn" type of thing.

I was pretty adamant (still am) that there will be impacts - albeit perhaps not at first but I think there will be lots of YouTube rage if (when?) this drops and the PS4 misses out. You will then the younger ones explaining to parents why the "PS4 version sucks".. Or it could fizzle to nothing.. but will be interesting to see how this pans out either way.

CookTrain

Read your post. So there are 4 physical servers, but aren't the actual game worlds virtualized? Even before you spawn into a world, don't you have to enter a queue to determine which world you're going to spawn into? Why can't PS4 players just spawn into their own world? Dunno, this doesn't seem like its some insurmountable problem that people seem to be making it out to be.

The 4 servers being talked about aren't like regional servers. It's 4 entirely different community servers hosting entirely separate content from 4 different providers and you choose which one you want to go on.

You try getting those 4 content providers to host 4 microservers for Sony as well.

No. There's more than 4 servers. Those 4 are the ones Mojang themselves are proliferating. Anyone can host their own with the proper hardware and infrastructure.

There is no queue to determine which world you're spawning into. Each server is its own massive interconnected world. You choose a server to join, you're joining that world, and its online community.

Moving forward, dedicated servers will be platform agnostic.

For PS4 players to just 'spawn into their own world'

there would need to be dedicated servers
with their own online communities and web presence
specifically for the relatively tiny pool of players on PS4, and nobody else.

which, as I made clear in the post you say you read, works against the purpose of the Bedrock unification and Better Together initiative in a number of ways.

Trup1aya

MS' goal is to turn minecraft into a platform agnostic service.

You think they should make a general minecraft service AND a special, Sony only service.

Certainly "doable" but counterproductive to their goals and dishonorable to the platform holders who are participating.

You think they should make a general minecraft service AND a special, Sony only service.

Certainly "doable" but counterproductive to their goals and dishonorable to the platform holders who are participating.

fucking succinct bro, thank you <3

MS goal is to destroy the competition. It does this by leveraging very powerful platforms against it's competitors. MS killed netscape and we ended up with godawful IE. Remember "Embrace, Extend, Exinguish?"

Well that's what MS is trying to do by leveraging Minecraft into becoming "open." I don't believe for a second MS doesn't have ulterior motives it and I can't believe so many people are actually getting snookered by this again.

MS goal is to destroy the competition. It does this by leveraging very powerful platforms against it's competitors. MS killed netscape and we ended up with godawful IE. Remember "Embrace, Extend, Exinguish?"

Well that's what MS is trying to do by leveraging Minecraft into becoming "open." I don't believe for a second MS doesn't have ulterior motives it and I can't believe so many people are actually getting snookered by this again.

lol, wow, that's some headcanon you've pulled out of your ass here.

I should have known by your posts in the other cross play threads that you weren't coming here to have a sincere argument. You're trying to spin this into some sort of Microsoft scheme targeting Sony specifically and it's literally crazy

Vinnk

The goal of every business is to make money. Of course MS wants to maximize profits. And Crossplay purchases and only having to make one version of the game rather than many stand alone versions, is smart business.

If MS wanted they could stop selling the PS4 version of Minecraft and delist it. THAT would have a big impact on the kids market. But they won't.

Not arguing that MS is not evil. The always-on, DRM, No-used games, stuff early this gen turned me off to buying their hardware.

But from a gamer perspective I hope Sony plays ball on crossplay. Not only for Minecraft but for all the games that could benefit from it.

theWB27

This is great stuff. Tell us more about this path of destruction Microsoft will layeth.

Sometimes, it's potentially reasonable to go down this path and see where it leads.

This is not one of those times. Straight up conspiracy theory nonsense.

Please, enlighten me as to how cross-platform Minecraft is a way to destroy Sony (and Nintendo and Apple and Google and Samsung) from within and... "snooker" people.

rokkerkory

By your logic MS should just stop selling MC on Sony platforms then.

Na, just put like two interns on the PS4 version, and let it rot feature wise. Sony will feel the burn pretty quick when their players figure out their phone have much better version of the game.

Trup1aya

200w.gif

I think it's cute when people keep bringing up IE in everything MS does.

Because IE happened 20 years ago, it's impossible to fathom a different strategy. Nevermind that MS' business model has shifted majorly, several times since then. Like are you really still morning Netscape when there are countless browsers to choose from now that aren't MS'.

I guess your argument is that MS is going to remove Minecraft from all platforms (crushing them in the process, lol), limiting their own revenue and devaluing their multi billion dollar IP, all in the name of what? Getting people to buy xbox's?

Ok.gif

I think they do have an ulterior motive- making a ton of money. I don't think they care if that money originates from PSN, Nintendo, play store, or the App Store- so long and the money ends up in their account.

Mael

The CEOs that did all this BS are all long gone.
That MSFT is DEAD.
MSFT as a whole is a service company, they could give less of a shit about console gaming if it allows them to bolster their cloud initiative anyway.
MSFT also loves open source now.
As far as 2017 is concerned, your post is "Nintendo doesn't allow online" old.
Are you seriously going to argue that Mojang is trying to sell xbonex to Sony players through their ps4 version of Minecraft?
Mojang and MSFT are interested in growing Minecraft which is its own platform with the new Better Together update.
Mojang cares about as much about xbox as Kojima cares about playstation.

Tumle

The goal of every business is to make money. Of course MS wants to maximize profits. And Crossplay purchases and only having to make one version of the game rather than many stand alone versions, is smart business.

If MS wanted they could stop selling the PS4 version of Minecraft and delist it. THAT would have a big impact on the kids market. But they won't.

Not arguing that MS is not evil. The always-on, DRM, No-used games, stuff early this gen turned me off to buying their hardware.

But from a gamer perspective I hope Sony plays ball on crossplay. Not only for Minecraft but for all the games that could benefit from it.
Would they actually be able to do that if Sony have made a deal with Mojan, before the acquisition by Microsoft, to be the publisher on PS4?

I was a little annoyed that Sony was the only one getting flack on this topic in another thread because I though Microsoft was the publisher on PS4.. but now that I know that it's Sony that's the publisher I will retract that part of my blame from MS, and put it back on Sony..

if Sony wants to keep being the publisher of MC they better pay up to have some kind of parity with the other platforms(graphics and dedicated servers for PS4 players) or just hand it over to MS, allow crossplay and take the hit in income from purchases of the game..

Would they actually be able to do that if Sony have made a deal with Mojan, before the acquisition by Microsoft, to be the publisher on PS4?

I was a little annoyed that Sony was the only one getting flack on this topic in another thread because I though Microsoft was the publisher on PS4.. but now that I know that it's Sony that's the publisher I will retract that part of my blame from MS, and put it back on Sony..

if Sony wants to keep being the publisher of MC they better pay up to have some kind of parity with the other platforms(graphics and dedicated servers for PS4 players) or just hand it over to MS, allow crossplay and take the hit in income from purchases of the game..

Mojang is the publisher of the digital Version
They could stop selling those

Sony is the publisher of the physical Ps4, Ps3 and Vita Version.
They could not stop selling those, as easy (i don't know any specific licensing terms, so i can't give you a definitive answer on that)

Glad so many folks are willing to outline the goods and evils of their brands of choice in this thread. Brand sirens everywhere.

Would hate for things to actually focus on the topic of the thread.

Tumle

Glad so many folks are willing to outline the goods and evils of their brands of choice in this thread. Brand sirens everywhere.

Would hate for things to actually focus on the topic of the thread.
Sorry for derailing.. well I still need to change my java version to the win 10 version if that's still possible..

That a good point, actually - people keep asking about why Microsoft are "holding back" the graphical update on PS4, but really, Microsoft themselves aren't really involved in that version, except as Mojang's parent company.

Any questions regarding patches/updates to the PlayStation versions of Minecraft should surely be directed at the publisher of those versions - Sony themselves.
I wonder if that's also the reason for no new version for PS4.

The agreement deal likely was about the console version 4j made. Perhaps what's really happening is that Ms doesn't want to give the new version for Sony to publish, and Sony don't want to give up their publishing rights for a game that sells a lot.

LowerLevel

Man, just thinking about how MS can still sell a "lesser" version of Minecraft on the competition's platform and not really have to work on it is almost comical because you KNOW the normal Ps4 version is still going to sell well...

Vinnk

In my brain Microsoft aquired Mojang before the PS4 was released. But yeah I was wrong about that.

Top Bottom