• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles | (Update: Misspoke, no Scorpio exclusives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamz

Lmao "if the developer wants to".

Perfect way to shift the blame away from MS when they start pushing incentives and obstacles that make devs not want to support the vanilla Xbox One.

It's not much different from their loopholes in the wording for their parity clause contracts that allows them to pressure devs to support the platform or risk not being able to develop for the platform at all. Sure, you they have the "choice" to develop for any platform they want, you just don't have MS's support if you don't play by their rules.

What? It's the dev choice of course, but they aren't going to ignore a system with 30M sales. What's wrong with you people?

Yeah, nobody left behind my ass.

They just made a completely new gen console. At the very least they should have had the guts to announce it like one, smh.

GHG

Gold Member
Uh so why should anyone buy the Xbox S then?

They are fucking this up with their messaging.

CCIE

Banned
Given the sales disaster that is XB1, it probably has two years max left of new games. Probably just one.

What what did he say? And I seriously doubt they would purposefully miss out on tens of millions of potential sales.

Hopefully someone can leave a link. But im pretty sure he said something along the lines of "The technology isn't there for what we're aiming for" regarding consoles of course. I could be reading in to this wrong.

XAL

I don't consider it throwing money down the toilet. I consider it making an upgrade every 4 years to play games with better graphics. Just like we've always done every generation except the 360/PS3 gen. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? That might explain our different viewpoints on this.

My age has nothing to do with anything. From the standpoint of gamers in general this deal sucks. Forking out another 400-600 bucks every 3-4 years instead of the 400-600 every 8 years, a lot of people can't do that. Segregating the fanbase with +.5 models is asinine.

Good. If a dev has a vision that is only possible on the stronger console they should have all the freedom to see it through.

It doesnt take a diploma to know very few devs are going to even do that, so there should be no panic.

Duxxy3

It's a new generation with backwards compatibility. Only problem with it is that the generation was only 4 years long.

sun-drop

The key difference between Sony and ms.

Sony will lock neo to ps4, that way the current ,massive ps4 user base remains relevant.

Neo is the S mid term update

Ps5 is the clean slate clean start we are used to, with games designed to push that new mark in the sand to the limit.

I prefer Sony's approach to this ,its WHY console's are better than PCs

Miles X

They just made a completely new gen console. At the very least they should have had the guts to announce it like one, smh.

Guts? oh my. They're a business, they'll do what makes sense to be as successful as they can. Instead of outright going for a new gen, they're softening the blow by making it as accessible to current Xbox One owners as possible.

I mean they could go full next gen, fully exclusive Scorpio titles from the get go if you prefer? How on earth that makes them less worse I don't know.

Hatty

I think people are overreacting a little
This clearly pertains to VR stuff. All normal games will most likely be on both

This was bound to happen. The question is, when will a first party MS title do it? Spencer is acting like Microsoft doesn't have some influence on the dev community for the console.

Sony will have to make this decision at one point too.

Alchemy

If that is a thing that ends up happening I'll just stick to PC gaming I guess, especially as Microsoft wants to expand their exclusives to Windows.

I thought they said the opposite during the press conference. Unfortunate, but it was going to get there anyway. Just surprised it's so soon.

Elios83

It's obvious.
It's a new gen for them, if they were still serious about the Xbox One they wouldn't have announced the Scorpio today with the Slim model to sell and promote this upcoming holiday season.
Internally they have already moved on from the Xbox One, hence why this year there were no big news on the software front at their conference.
They expect third parties to make cross gen titles but they need to create exclusive games to justify the existence of an other 500$ box otherwise this will be like a Steam Box (aka dead on arrival).
Sony on the contrary wants to extend the PS4 gen keeping sales high.
With Neo they are preparing to play again the PS2-Xbox game while trying to keep the hardware gap at a comfortable level.

Blyr

Banned
Assuming iterative consoles are the future, and the theory that exclusive games wouldn't come out until 2018-2019 (Kinda doubting that, considering development cycles mean they'd have be targeting the scorpio exclusively in 2017 before the install base is there, but that's a different matter)

We'd theoretically have exclusive games by 2019.. and then a new console by 2020 going by the current iterations. That console will start getting exclusive games roughly 2-3 years in its lifespan, and then another new console will come out after those 3 years.

It's an interesting prospect, because it would easily help phase out the older consoles (simply by not targeting them anymore) but I'm not sure if the consumer base will support it.

At some point you're going to properly want to use that power. It will be 2 years or so of complete compatibility and then they will slowly drop XB1 support.

arhra

Apple don't have policies dictating that games/apps have to run on multiple generations of iPhone, but you still don't see much that's purely targetting the newest models (except in cases where there's a new feature that's only available on the new one).

Once you have an ongoing ecosystem of backward/forward compatible software, the market takes care of obsoleting old models all on it's own as the userbase gradually moves on to new hardware.

It'll be a slightly longer/slower cycle in the console business, simply because of the longer development cycles (both for hardware, and console games), but the same thing will happen.

If a developer wants to forego the larger audience in favour of creating something that's technically not possible on the weaker hardware, I say they're probably kinda crazy, but fuck it, let 'em. Remember a few years back when you were all bitching about how cross-gen games were holding the industry back?

There is no way that consoles will be sustainable if thats the case.

This is the opposite of Sony's expressed intent: all future games must work on both the PS4 and PS4 Neo. No exclusives.

This suggests that the new systems have dissimilar aims and goals. Scorpio is a departure from Xbox One, whereas Neo is an extension of the PS4.

If this is all true, then I could see things end badly for Microsoft than for Sony.

Both PS4 & Xbox One have only been out for 2 & a half years now, & most people aren't going to immediately hop onto a platform that doesn't play the games that they already bought for the previous console. No one's ready for a next gen platform yet.

There's not point to jump on the smartphone cycle if you're gong to leave people behind with the software with the next iteration. That's a great way to kill off your console business.

If you're not going to do generational jumps then you still need at least 6-7 years before you force people to buy a new console. I mean maybe the next iteration you can do exclusive games, do it for this one and you're going to get a lot of pissed off consumers.

This was bound to happen. The question is, when will a first party MS title do it? Spencer is acting like Microsoft doesn't have some influence on the dev community for the console.

Sony will have to make this decision at one point too.

Considering all the first party 360 cross gen games we got I doubt it's any time soon.

RedSwirl

To me that OP sounds like Microsoft hasn't yet made the decision of whether it would allow developers to leave behind the original Xbox One when Scorpio launches late next year.

Anyway, even if it did allow this, I still don't think most big developers would do it. I think the developers who are already most likely to make cross-gen games upon new console launches would make their games scale. It would effectively be the same as a cross-gen game except you're buying both versions as one SKU. And fall 2017 puts the same amount of time between Xbox One and Scorpio as there was between the original Xbox and 360.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I am sure devs would love to ignore an 80 million install base to make games look prettier for a console that will be almost certainly not be mass market priced.

It's not happening.

Its also worth considering that if you target for Scorpio, you're already aiming for a tech standard that's cutting out a significant portion of the PC market.

Miles X

If this is all true, then I could see things end badly for Microsoft than for Sony.

Both PS4 & Xbox One have only been out for 2 & a half years now, & most people aren't going to immediately hop onto a platform that doesn't play the games that they already bought for the previous console.

It'll be 4 years when Scorpio releases, it's very doubtful you'll see Scorpio exclusives in the first two years (looking at how long it took cross gen to die this gen, and that's on 8/9/10 year old platforms ...) and then it might be VR stuff.

You're gonna have 6+ years of solid Xbox One support, not 2.5 .......

Not every developer has the same priorities. By the time the Scorpio is out there might be about 30-40 million units for the Xbox One and 60+ million PS4s . Not every developer or publisher is going to skip the Xbone. Games like COD is going to get the maximum amount of units sold. Although some developers will skip the Xbox for the Scorpio. Some games will be crappy on the One, not even on it, lack a few features, or run fine and look as decent on the Scorpio in some cases. It is like cross-gen in the twilight zone.

It is a little different from cross-gen, since many people and developers are expected to jump ship and develop games for the next-generation and focus on that, but here the Xbox one is still current-gen and will continue to sell alongside the Scorpio.

Lucc

How is this a surprise to anyone? There will be exclusive VR games. The whole reason for the scorpio is so it can support those VR games.

xb one can't display them properly.. thus at the very least the VR games will be exclusive to scorpio.

jdmonmou

I am sure devs would love to ignore an 80 million install base to make games look prettier for a console that will be almost certainly not be mass market priced.

It's not happening.

MS hasn't sold nowhere close to 80 million Xbox Ones. I think in January it was revealed they had sold only 19 million since launch and Sony sold twice as much.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Next year Xbox One is 4 years old. In 2018 it will be 5. That's a "traditional cycle". If Scorpio exclusives start in 2018, that's fine.

By then most games will have dynamic scaling so they can still run (like ass) on Xbox One.

Karak

Aaron Greenberg just tweeted this

Great thing is with Project Scorpio as part of #XboxOne family all your games will work, no Scorpio exclusives, so no one gets left behind

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/742514933322027008

FGDrLHA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom