• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles | (Update: Misspoke, no Scorpio exclusives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmonmou

Yeah, I'm fine with this though I understand why people would be angry at this. How this will play out really depends on how soon devs leave the Xbox One behind.

My guess is that this will happen pretty damn quick since Xbox One sales haven't been that great. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some exclusive titles at launch.

You don't announce an incremental upgrade more than a year away from launch. Just looking at the example set by Apple...they announce a new phone you can purchase it within a month. MS is preparing for the next gen even though they are ashamed to admit it.

wapplew

MS announce a new gen hardware disguise as iterative upgrade?
Great! Beyond generation actually keeping generation, I'm so happy MS did this.

Just a little disappoint about the power jump thou, 4x is lowest generation jump ever.

XAL

Speak for yourself. I dig it.

It's terrible if mid console cycle you are forced to upgrade if you want to continue playing new games.

It's garbage for gamers.

It's fine if you don't mind throwing money down the toilet. Or have so much money you have 4K tv and VR and it was nothing to purchase.

Handhelds are consoles though
Stationary consoles. Nintendo has been doing upgraded handhelds forever. This is something completely new for a stationary console to say it can have its own games is pretty much a new gen.

MS has given up on the Xbox One. Scorpio is far more powerful as in a generational leap.

I look forward to walking into a store a seeing THREE different Xbox consoles to chose from:

-Original XB1 still unsold
-S
-Scorpio

Reminds me of when I was a wee lad and my Toys R Us had all those lovely Sega consoles to chose from, Genesis, CD, 32X, Saturn....

platocplx

So pretty much.. Xbox One born 2013 - deceased 2017

Wheras sonys stance is all must be on PS4 and have extra assets available to Neo if you'd like.

So this should just be treated aa a new console then. Pretty crazy.

Seems again like MS at least normalizing(less radical custom designs) their hardware architecture and making it into platform to allow for more frequent hardware updates.

viHuGi

Banned
Disaster incoming.

This is only happening with VR man, no way they will allow games to skip Xbox One altogether like Call of Duty or Battlefield, i just dont see it they piss off >30 million users there wich is probably the userbase by then.

Caffeine

you put the game in it runs a check sets the game to low settings for xbox one. on scorpio it sets it to high settings. this isnt rocket science.

Venom Fox

Banned
It's pretty clear they're targeting Scorpio as a next-gen system, but with easier cross-compatibility with the previous generation than before. It's just going to facilitate what devs did anyway at the start of this generation with ports/remasters
I didn't get that impression at all. If anything it's their real Xbox One Elite Console. It's for hard-core gamers that want the cutting edge in console tech.

I would't be surprised if this was just a provision for VR. All 3rd party games will still be coming to OG XB1 because they are coming to OG PS4. And if something like Halo 6 skips XB1 it's going to be a PR nightmare.

Its going to happen some time down the road. But here is the thing. The new xbox wont hit 4k native 60 fps. So both xbox versions will struggle to hit their targets... Mostly they are scaling the games to the system

NHale

It seems Microsoft hasn't learned anything about the XB1 debacle. The problem wasn't Sony announcing a console without showing hardware, it was your complete disaster PR at the reveal and especially the E3 after the reveal. It definitely looks nothing changed on that department.

Kerned

Banned
Hurrr Durrr this is only good for consoles and enthusiasts, nothing happens to the install base. /s

This whole iterative console business is terrible for console fans.

It's actually great for fans because new games won't have to be hamstrung by old hardware for as long. People who don't want to buy a new console every 3 years can still play most new games, they just won't run as well. Every 6-7 years will probably mark a hard cutoff point where hardware from two generations back won't run new games at all.

It won't be that much different from the way it is now, aside from developers being able to take better advantage of new tech. It's awesome, I love it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nice to have a "never buy Xbox hardware ever again" warning shot. Appreciate the transparency.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm not surprised, but the lies they told are going to cause mass confusion.

They made it sound like a game will scale differently when placed into an XB1/S and the Scorpio. Now they're basically saying that this possibly won't be the case and XB1/S users WILL be left behind in some regard.

Poster#1

So you guys wanna stick with xbox one hardware forever? even PC games move forward with new hardware.

Salty fanboys lol.

Cuburt

Lmao "if the developer wants to".

Perfect way to shift the blame away from MS when they start pushing incentives and obstacles that make devs not want to support the vanilla Xbox One.

It's not much different from their loopholes in the wording for their parity clause contracts that allows them to pressure devs to support the platform or risk not being able to develop for the platform at all. Sure, you they have the "choice" to develop for any platform they want, you just don't have MS's support if you don't play by their rules.

ironcreed

Banned
This thing is not launching until nearly 2018. But The Xbox One will clearly get most, if not all of the support outside of VR shit for even well after that and you take your games with you whenever you do make the move.

Linkified

At the press conference, I am paraphrasing, "Your games and accessories won't be left behind". I took that as being all the shit I own now will work on any future generation of Xbox console. Some stuff like VR and certain titles after a certain time frame will only be available from Xbox Gen 2 device, similarly for Gen 3 and so forth ... if we class Xbox One as the Gen 1.

Miles X

I look forward to walking into a store a seeing THREE different Xbox consoles to chose from:

-Original XB1 still unsold
-S
-Scorpio

Reminds me of when I was a wee lad and my Toys R Us had all those lovely Sega consoles to chose from, Genesis, CD, 32X, Saturn....

Not all that different then to 2013?

Xbox 360
Xbox 360 Kinect
Xbox One
Xbox One Kinect

Not even going into how many skus within skus they had.

I feel like you're grasping at straws for faux drama.

It's terrible if mid console cycle you are forced to upgrade if you want to continue playing new games.

It's garbage for gamers.

It's fine if you don't mind throwing money down the toilet. Or have so much money you have 4K tv and VR and it was nothing to purchase.

I don't consider it throwing money down the toilet. I consider it making an upgrade every 4 years to play games with better graphics. Just like we've always done every generation except the 360/PS3 gen. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? That might explain our different viewpoints on this.

Doffen

It seems Microsoft hasn't learned anything about the XB1 debacle. The problem wasn't Sony announcing a console without showing hardware, it was your complete disaster PR at the reveal and especially the E3 after the reveal. It definitely looks nothing changed on that department.

So Microsoft shouldn't make a VR /4K ready console?

timlot

Banned
Good, the faster we leave Xbox One behind the better. Xbox Play Anywhere games developed for Scorpio and PC will be glorious.

You have 18 months to save up folks. Just put away $40 month, that should be enough. Hopefully. lol

Geist-

It's garbage for gamers.

It's fine if you don't mind throwing money down the toilet. Or have so much money you have 4K tv and VR solutions.

Devs still want money, they're gonna develop for the biggest playerbase they can.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that all VR games are probably going to be Scorpio only. I doubt we're going to see non-VR games being Scorpio only until a few years after release, just like most games didn't stop being 360/PS3 compatible until last year.

Doesn't forwards compatible mean that your games and accessories just go forward with you when you upgrade? I always thought it was almost interchangeable with backwards compatible.

Backwards compatibility is something integrated into a specific piece of hardware, so it works with software that already exists or will exist for an outdated model. Scorpio has this.

Forwards compatibility is slightly different, in that it's centred on the iterative approach to hardware - like phones or tablets - where hardware is designed to be compatible with future software (within reason) even though more advanced hardware may hit the market that said applications take advantage of.

You could argue Xb1 is forwards compatible, but I'd say it isn't - as there's no mandate for support - it's just Scorpio is BC and there's an overlap period. That's semantics though. We won't know yet whether Scorpio is designed to be forwards compatible until MS detail the next step in this seemingly iterative approach, but it's probably a reasonable bet that scalable FC from here on out, with regular incremental upgrades for the hardware is on the cards.

My guess is that this will happen pretty damn quick since Xbox One sales haven't been that great. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some exclusive titles at launch.

You don't announce an incremental upgrade more than a year away from launch. Just looking at the example set by Apple...they announce a new phone you can purchase it within a month. MS is preparing for the next gen even though they are ashamed to admit it.

Yeah, I've said it before that Microsoft might want to kill off Xbox One sales inorder to get people to look forward to Scorpio and hae time to work on soothing the outrage of gamers that woul dbe upset at having just purchased an Xbox One only for Scorpio to be announced.

As for exclusive launch titles...not sure about that but I wouldn't rule it out. At least not for some indie games.

RowdyReverb

I didn't get that impression at all. If anything it's their real Xbox One Elite Console. It's for hard-core gamers that want the cutting edge in console tech.
The Xbox One S is the "Xbox One Elite". Bigger hard drive, some new features. Scorpio is supposed to be close to 6x as powerful as its predecessor, which is similar to the jump from the 360 to the XB1

GnawtyDog

Banned
I'm not surprised, but the lies they told are going to cause mass confusion.

They made it sound like a game will scale differently when placed into an XB1/S and the Scorpio. Now they're basically saying that this possibly won't be the case and XB1/S users WILL be left behind in some regard.

Umm they'll minimize any backlash with PR. It's textbook at this point.

Papacheeks

Banned
ESRAM hasn't made BC (w/XB1, or forwards compatibility w/Scorpio) totally smooth going I suspect.

Puts a damper on Xbox One S knowing it won't play all Scorpio games.

This is getting closer to a console shift then iterative.

And people called me a crazy person for having these sentiments on where this could lead for iterative consoles.

I am sure devs would love to ignore an 80 million install base to make games look prettier for a console that will be almost certainly not be mass market priced.

It's not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom