• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles | (Update: Misspoke, no Scorpio exclusives)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Even if XB1 is left behind, you'll still have ~60 million PS4 owners out there. Outside of VR, 3rd party games are going to be designed with at least that spec in mind for awhile.

Sheroking

I would comment on how potentially shitty this is to Xbox One owners, but "leaving it up to the game development" community means there will always be Xbox One versions.

Well... this would be awful... splintering up the community isn't the way to go.
But they're not. When would the first few Scorpio only games drop...2018? Eventually you have to leave the old hardware behind or you hamstring the new games. All of this sky is falling talk is ridiculous.

Not really, this isn't unprecedented guys.

latest
We're talking about consoles, not handhelds.

gatti-man

They never fooled me in the first place, it was clear this was their plan if this thing was a reality.

So fuck consoles, thanks for all the fun provided all these years but this new iterative model is straight up bullshit.

And I thought they couldn't come up with anything worse than season passes and paid loot packs ...

If you think this reads other than "I'm not ok with people having better hardware than me" you're kidding yourself.

Noobcraft

Imagine during the keynote where Apple unveiled the iPhone 6s with its new features said, "oh BTW the iPhone 7 is shipping in a year's time which will make the 6s at best undesirable, at worst obsolete." People wear rose colored glasses around the Spencer administration, but this messaging is some Mattricks level stuff.
It's true for Apple though, they just don't say it lol.

Wow, that wasn't the suggestion from the initial reveal.

Edit: I think most devs would probably just ship an awful version on Xbox One too, rather than skip the userbase.

they said it would play xbox one games not the other way around.. this is the xbox 4. It just plays xbox one games.

Proelite

Even if XB1 is left behind, you'll still have ~60 million PS4 owners out there. Outside of VR, 3rd party games are going to be designed with at least that spec in mind for awhile.

Why would devs leave 20-30 million Xb1 owners out there either. Scorpio only release will be VR only for the near future.

Before everyone starts freaking out maybe we should wait for clarification first. She didn't sound to confident in her response and it also contradicts a lot of what Phil Spencer said.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hurrr Durrr this is only good for consoles and enthusiasts, nothing happens to the install base. /s

This whole iterative console business is terrible for console fans.

Just going to say here what I said in my thread:

It will be interesting to see how that works out.
MS must be pretty confident that they can deliver the power with a price provocative enough to get the number of players that would warrant Scorpio only titles.

mjp2417

Banned
I would't be surprised if this was just a provision for VR. All 3rd party games will still be coming to OG XB1 because they are coming to OG PS4. And if something like Halo 6 skips XB1 it's going to be a PR nightmare.

JimiNutz

Banned
Sounds good to me.
Let developers decide.

I doubt many will do it anyway (why risk losing the existing Xbox One userbase?) unless the console is highly successful and creates a healthy userbase of its own... And if it is highly successful you'll probably eventually own one anyway so you won't care! Bring on the exclusives I say :)

XAL

Locking people out from playing games unless they buy the +.5 is garbage. Yeah, I knew this "it's just for 4K resolution and VR, nothing else" was bullshit.

Then 3 years after scorpio drops they're going to release the actual next numbered xbox.

Essentially going

console release (original model)
3 yrs
.5 console release (S model with games you can't play on original model)
3 yrs
next gen console release

no thanks. good thing all these games are coming out on PC. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if you had to own an XBO and Gold membership to play it on Win 10 at this point.

Kayant

Prediction

3rd Party IPs = Xbox Play Anywhere

1st Party IPs = Scorpio exclusive (down the road, not as soon as they launch)
Really? Do you mean in terms of partnered games like we happy few, Ark? As I doubt many 3rd parties are going to want to release their games to Win 10 store even if UWP becomes the default format for XB1 games. EA definitely wouldn't be because of the percentage cut to their revenue.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't mind perhaps make it mandatory to have games work on XB1 for the first 1 and a half years so XB1 gamers get 5 years long generation.

neptunes

I feel like it sets a bad precedent for this new "iterative console" movement when there are exclusive games one iteration away.
The market will dictate it's success.

If next gen games sell slowly, developers will hold off until game sales or the next console's user base picks up.

ironcreed

Banned
Would people be pissed if MS came out and said "this is our next gen system, launching late 2017, no BC (like every Xbox before it)?

I'm super confused at the outrage here. They could have done that, instead they're going to be supporting XB1 into next gen much better than they have any other previous console?

Which is exactly why I am not against this anymore. The Xbox One still has plenty on the way and will even after this launches. Most of us will not even worry about upgrading until 2018 or even 2019, which works out fine. Not to mention that we take our games with us.

AmyS

It's been pretty clear Scirpio is basically Xbox 2 in everything but name. They are moving away from Xbox one

And yet, other than the project name and basic spec, those of us on the outside have known Microsoft was at work on their next gen Xbox since nearly 2 years ago (July 2014) when Microsoft posted a couple of important job listings related to their next console, before they removed the listings from public view.

Thread: Microsoft job posts: Xbox industrial designer for next gen + software engineer.

Edit: Phil Spencer just said today: "Project Scorpio is something we've been working on for well over a year".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFUTiwPcQs&feature=youtu.be&t=5m53s

Miles X

Hurrr Durrr this is only good for consoles and enthusiasts, nothing happens to the install base. /s

This whole iterative console business is terrible for console fans.

I mean, have either Sony or Microsoft explicitly said they're heading for much faster upgrades than previously before? 4 years is not far off standard, Nintendo are doing it (4.5 years ..) MS have done it before. All coming off failed (considered) consoles.

RowdyReverb

It's pretty clear they're targeting Scorpio as a next-gen system, but with easier cross-compatibility with the previous generation than before. It's just going to facilitate what devs did anyway at the start of this generation with ports/remasters

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why would devs leave 20-30 million Xb1 owners out there either. Scorpio only release will be VR only for the near future.

They won't, just saying even if MS wanted to leave XB1 behind, there's nothing they can do about PS4's ever expanding userbase.

Dabanton

Uh... obviously. You definitely can't do great VR on Xbox One right?

Nope and I think one of the wisest moves MS did was avoid getting pulled into VR with Sony for this gen.

It's pretty clear they're targeting Scorpio as a next-gen system, but with easier cross-compatibility with the previous generation than before. It's just going to facilitate what devs did anyway at the start of this generation with ports/remasters

Yep and hopefully there will be less need for them to do that if our older games could just come over and be brought up to decent PC levels on these new machines. I guess that's where the 'scalability' options comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom