• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS to talk about gaming on XB1, W10 "and beyond" in the next "few weeks" & months

gaming_noob

How'd you deal with past gens. You must've been bored outta your mind. Easily the most intersting time for consoles. Like ever. I'd rather have surprises then leaks. Enjoy the ride breh.

We were blessed with CBOAT and ntkrnl the last few years. We haven't heard from Cboat since Sept 2015...

Cyriades

Weeks:
- Preview Program for Xbox One getting new features such as Background Music and Cortana
- Windows 10 getting it's update for UWP for gsync, vsync, freesync, etc...

Months:
- E3
- gamescom
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update which includes merging of XBO/W10 stores

"Beyond":
Xbox Live Services
Microsoft is through bleeding money on Xbox Hardware.

That's what we say every year. Then after it's over we're all disappointed because of our expectations.

This is how I feel pertaining to at least the MS show. I still think we will just see a slim model, all the limelight will be on Nintendo and Sony (obvious reasons). Not saying They will have a bad show, I just feel that if they are working on things secretively (they have gotten much better at controlling leaks since they started on better cross communication on their campuses) we won't see it till next year or at a separate event.

Would love to be wrong though, cause I thoroughly enjoy their ecosystem.

gamz

But Sony is seen lucrative to release software for as well. That does not change anything and I'm not convinced by your Apple-Android analogy.

Fact is the Xbox One is trailing behind the PS4 on pretty much every grounds, do you think this is a situation Microsoft are happy with ?

They will have to follow the market leader, Sony.

You said hardware sales are everything. It's not and gave you examples. Apple kills android on margins and software sales and it's not even close. It was just an example is all. Hardware isn't the whole story.

Doffen

What I would do, but probably won't happen:

Release a Xbox One slim model at $299. Keep it as a entry level product.
Also release a premium Xbox at $499-$599 aimed at the core gamers, VR and 4K support.

Same core games are played on both (Gears, CoD, Halo, Forza), but new games perform better on the premium device.

They can still run ads for games saying "Xbox starting at $299".

So basically: Xbox One = Mass market. Xbox Elite = Premium market.

I see them upping theit hardware much more because they can in ways Sony cant.

Well, you may be right, but I heard something about Microsoft moving the Xbox division to the Surface team or something like that? In my humble opinion, that sounds a lot like "apps and Apple Tv" to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, In fact I'd love to be wrong. I'd gladly have souped-up Xbox One which could compete with the Ps4 Neo

jelly

Also release a premium Xbox at $499-$599 aimed at the core gamers, VR and 4K support.

Same core games are played on both (Gears, CoD, Halo, Forza), but new games perform better on the premium device.

I wonder if a console that expensive would actually sell if it was just pure performance not gimmicks or new tech like Kinect, Blu-Ray, Cell.

I think going the cheaper Slim route is wise but I'm not sure what the other offering will be yet, they aren't going to pull a rabbit out the hat if they release the same time as Sony so it's either coming later or something different like an actual PC that plays console games.

gamz

Well, you may be right, but I heard something about Microsoft moving the Xbox division to the Surface team or something like that? In my humble opinion, that sounds a lot like "apps and Apple Tv" to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, In fact I'd love to be wrong. I'd gladly have souped-up Xbox One which could compete with the Ps4 Neo

Surface team is now in charge of all hardware.

Panos is in charge more specifically.

Wrong, just means the surface team will help form the new Xbox from engineering/design/specs/etc. I mean surface team has nothing to do with apps and TV....

Edit: This is a good thing.

AP90

Surface team is now in charge of all hardware.

Panos is in charge more specifically.

Panos + Phil duo makes me believe the next Xbox release will be killer and competitive..

I've been a Panos believer after I got my surface 4 pro and and my 950xl. That man knows how to work with hardware.

Kezen

Banned
You said hardware sales are everything. It's not and gave you examples. Apple kills android on margins and software sales and it's not even close. It was just an example is all. Hardware isn't the whole story.

My point was never that hardware specs alone gave Sony the huge lead they have over Microsoft, but that it must have been a big part of it.

Hence why I think they will have to launch a new Xbox not to let Sony widen the gap even further.

Doffen

Surface and Xbox team cooperated on the Surface Book, that's not really a apps focused machine.

I wonder if a console that expensive would actually sell if it was just pure performance not gimmicks or new tech like Kinect, Blu-Ray, Cell.

I think going the cheaper Slim route is wise but I'm not sure what the other offering will be yet, they aren't going to pull a rabbit out the hat if they release the same time as Sony so it's either coming later or something different like an actual PC that plays console games.

Well 4K and VR could be selling points. But sometimes "quality" is enough to sell premium product to that market.

jelly

Panos + Phil duo makes me believe the next Xbox release will be killer and competitive..

I've been a Panos believer after I got my surface 4 pro and and my 950xl. That man knows how to work with hardware.

A premium phone or laptop is far different from a little to no profit console. I hope people aren't expecting fancy materials, deep design etc. It's going to be a plastic box.

Doffen

A premium phone or laptop is far different from a little to no profit console. I hope people aren't expecting fancy materials, deep design etc. It's going to be a plastic box.

What would that little to no profit console cost?

Noobcraft

I still think Microsoft is just going to jump right to next gen with a new console, and support the Xbox one for another 2-3 years.

AP90

Fancy materials? (not expecting anything crazy) Fully expect the next Xbox to be appealing, practical and well designed.

I do think Panos takes some serious pride in his work, thus I expect his input in the hardware with the next Xbox will be something decent. Maybe I will be disappointed, maybe not.

But, what he has done/delivered with other devices under his division have been really good. Therefore, I am excited to see what he delivers for Xbox in the future.

The "and beyond" is very telling for sure. Talking about gaming on X1 and Windows 10 sure, but why beyond? Definitely something going to happen now. Very interesting times ahead and so much to look forward to. With a E3 that recently looked to be a pretty decent E3, but that's about it, except for Nintendo with NX unveiling, it now turned into a E3 that's going to be very interesting indeed.

No bloody way that it's only going to be about a smaller Xbox anymore.

I see them upping theit hardware much more because they can in ways Sony cant.

What kind of way would that be? Unless they are planning to take a bath on hardware losses they can't do much of anything. And I have seen nothing that indicates they are headed back to the loss leader strategy. They could have been doing that this generation. They did it one holiday season(and it worked) then went right back to trying to make profits.

leeh

It's not just those two, the whole management structure has changed along with the CEO, and for the better IMO. I'm really intrigued to what any new Xbox device will be like.

Doffen

$400 or if they go nuts with a new category, PC/Console $599. There isn't room to go all fancy with the box materials and design at those prices.

I don't see it releasing at $399 as long as they keep Xbox One around. Even the Xbox One Elite bundle released at $499 just last fall.

Also isn't aluminum actually quite cheap?

It's not just those two, the whole management structure has changed along with the CEO, and for the better IMO. I'm really intrigued to what any new Xbox device will be like.

That makes me very happy. But is it confirmed that the Surface team is behind this? Except for a few minor issues i love my Surface Pro, so them doing Xbox stuff now sounds super good.

We need Cboat

Not really. Not for me. I want some surprises left for E3.

Doffen

That makes me very happy. But is it confirmed that the Surface team is behind this? Except for a few minor issues i love my Surface Pro, so them doing Xbox stuff now sounds super good.

It won't really be the Surface team, but they'll probably collaborate like they did with Surface Book. But Panos did say he wanted consistent design across devices.

Sydle

Not really. Not for me. I want some surprises left for E3.

Panay was made Head of Engineering for all premium MS hardware in July 2015...

Panos Panay, the highly visible leader of Microsoft's Surface tablet development team, has a lot more responsibility now. Microsoft has quietly put him in charge of engineering for all of its premium devices, including Windows Phones, Xbox, Surface Hub, Microsoft Band and HoloLens.

The promotion was first reported by ZDNet which confirmed the news with Microsoft that Panay "will be taking over (engineering for) premium devices."

He's definitely in a leadership role to influence its design. I imagine he's working closely with folks on the Xbox team.

Both Panos and Phil report to the EVP of Windows, Terry Myerson. It's a very different org than what produced the Xbox One, so I am highly interested to see what this new team puts together.

They can carve the casing from wood if they want, just give me a console with some POWAH!

greenegt

Weeks:
- Preview Program for Xbox One getting new features such as Background Music and Cortana
- Windows 10 getting it's update for UWP for gsync, vsync, freesync, etc...

Months:
- E3
- gamescom
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update which includes merging of XBO/W10 stores

"Beyond":
Xbox Live Services

I think you are spot on. This is the direction MS has been heading down. Unifying their services and becoming essentially hardware agnostic with UWP. This is a good strategy for MS and plays to their strengths.

I think chasing Sony with a XB1.5 would be a waste of resources. MS should release a cheaper XB1 slim and focus on getting out ahead with a true next gen successor in 2018.

gamz

I think you are spot on. This is the direction MS has been heading down. Unifying their services and becoming essentially hardware agnostic with UWP. This is a good strategy for MS and plays to their strengths.

I think chasing Sony with a XB1.5 would be a waste of resources. MS should release a cheaper XB1 slim and focus on getting out ahead with a true next gen successor in 2018.

2018? Hell no. A lot sooner then that. Why would they wait?

XB1 takes over the 360 slot and a new Xbox for premium.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

I keep seeing this idea, but it seems like suicide to me. Why would MS want to spend 2 years with a console least powerful out of maybe 4 on the market (PS4, PS4Neo, NX?, XB1)? That just seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

2018 i don't know man. That would mean they will be sitting in third place for a long time, because it seems pretty sure NX will be at least a PS4. And I'm only speaking for myself here but i will move to PS4K and NX for my multiplatform games and only have the Xbox One for the exclusives. I rather not, because i am a big Xbox gamer. I bet many people won't be buying multiplats on X1 anymore and that cant be what MS wants.

If they are actually going to wait this one out and only bring smaller Xbox console without any improvements, no way are they going to wait until 2018. But what is true is that "and beyond" could mean anything. But why bring this into the news? Everyone already knows MS will have their E3 show.

Fact remains though that no news about any devkits, let alone hardware improvements have been leaked. Here's hoping they'll they'll do things like how they did the SP4 and Surface Book announcements.

Yoday

Phil is talking way too much about even the possibility of a new device for something not to be coming this year. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see a new device launch along with the W10 anniversary update this summer, which is also about the time the NDA on that second FCC filing expires. Launching early could let them get out in front of the NX, PSVR, and possible PS4K launches. They need a new box to compete with other new devices and revitalize the Xbox brand, and they need to launch it when three other devices aren't also competing for mindshare.

Mostly wishful thinking, but I can dream.

ekim

2018 i don't know man. That would mean they will be sitting in third place for a long time, because it seems pretty sure NX will be at least a PS4. And I'm only speaking for myself here but i will move to PS4K and NX for my multiplatform games and only have the Xbox One for the exclusives. I rather not, because i am a big Xbox gamer. I bet many people won't be buying multiplats on X1 anymore and that cant be what MS wants.

If they are actually going to wait this one out and only bring smaller Xbox console without any improvements, no way are they going to wait until 2018. But what is true is that "and beyond" could mean anything. But why bring this into the news? Everyone already knows MS will have their E3 show.

Fact remains though that no news about any devkits, let alone hardware improvements have been leaked. Here's hoping they'll they'll do things like how they did the SP4 and Surface Book announcements.

Sony just sent out devkits. Even if MS is one month late, that could be still this year that they are announcing something.

Sony just sent out devkits. Even if MS is one month late, that could be still this year that they are announcing something.

You're very right about that. I just rather keep my expectations low man, from lots of past E3's I've learned that i should not expect too much. It's also that with Xbox One before its release we knew quite a bit, lots of those leaks turned out to be true. None of that this time. But of course that doesn't mean it's not possible that MS intentionally keeps it from us until E3.

Yoday

Especially if their UWP software is able to handle most of the porting. This isn't going to be like starting a whole new gen with a whole new architecture and developer environment.

gamz

Especially if their UWP software is able to handle most of the porting. This isn't going to be like starting a whole new gen with a whole new architecture and developer environment.

That's what Phil was saying. Software not tied to hardware.

etta

my hard graphic balls

They need to make an Xbox One Europe edition that advertises itself somehow as well ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Top Bottom