• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS to talk about gaming on XB1, W10 "and beyond" in the next "few weeks" & months

Unfortunately, I just dont think that would pull in more users mid-gen. Someone already built a strong box at a great value and respected their wishes by not bundling in bullshit. Sony.

I actually think that this mid-gen upgrade cycle represents an opportunity for Microsoft. I think that there will be a lot of people who choose not to upgrade their PS4 and instead pick up an upgraded Xbox, especially if it proves to be more powerful. I don't think the have a realistic chance at beating the PS4K but they can start gaining ground if they play their cards right.

Luckydog

I actually think that this mid-gen upgrade cycle represents an opportunity for Microsoft. I think that there will be a lot of people who choose not to upgrade their PS4 and instead pick up an upgraded Xbox, especially if it proves to be more powerful. I don't think the have a realistic chance at beating the PS4K but they can start gaining ground if they play their cards right.

I 100% see it as an opportunity, I'm just wondering what WOULD get someone to jump back to Xbox if they made the switch to PS4. In 2013, Price, huge performance gap, bad messaging, and awful DRM (before the 180) combined were all reasons a former Xbox fan would move to PS4. Fast forward to now, and a possible mid-gen upgrade....What would push people to come back? Power parity alone? I can't believe MS would find a way to push out an Xbox 1.5 approx 40% more powerful than PS4K like PS4 was over Xbox one.

The idea of getting people to switch ecosystem this late in the gen is silly. At most Microsoft (or Nintendo and Sony) can hope to do is persuade people to pick up an additional console.

With subscriptions, achievements/trophies and of course digital content so prevalent this gen, its alot harder to grab people invested in one system to switch entirely to another one.

And thats ignoring the "where my friends are playing" elephant in the room.

Luckydog

The idea of getting people to switch ecosystem this late in the gen is silly. At most Microsoft (or Nintendo and Sony) can hope to do is persuade people to pick up an additional console.

With subscriptions, achievements/trophies and of course digital content so prevalent this gen, its alot harder to grab people invested in one system to switch entirely to another one.

And thats ignoring the "where my friends are playing" elephant in the room.

I don't know. Some people spent an entire 8 year generation accumulating those things on the 360 only to jump ship when the appropriate thing moved them to. If every major provider puts out a new system, while not a new "Gen" it is an inflection point and people will consider new or additional consoles. I just dont think people will move BACK to Xbox simply if the MS system is at Parity with Sony.

Top Bottom