• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS to talk about gaming on XB1, W10 "and beyond" in the next "few weeks" & months

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Shame on you, OP. I don't see "shocking news" in the title...

Tntnico

What I would do, but probably won't happen:

Release a Xbox One slim model at $299. Keep it as a entry level product.
Also release a premium Xbox at $499-$599 aimed at the core gamers, VR and 4K support.

Same core games are played on both (Gears, CoD, Halo, Forza), but new games perform better on the premium device.

They can still run ads for games saying "Xbox starting at $299".

So basically: Xbox One = Mass market. Xbox Elite = Premium market.

I would love this ! I want a good VR experience on console and I'm ready to spend +399$ if necessary ($599 is OK for me). Consumers will have choice and same games (minus VR for base model).

wvnative

I dunno why this crossed my mind this morning, but with Sony basically out, and Nintendo focusing on releasing a new home console this year, could microsoft finally be attempting a handheld device?

I mean, it seems they kind of ruled out a PS4 neo type upgrade, yet its clear they are working on new hardware...

Maybe I'm just insane.

gamz

I dunno why this crossed my mind this morning, but with Sony basically out, and Nintendo focusing on releasing a new home console this year, could microsoft finally be attempting a handheld device?

I mean, it seems they kind of ruled out a PS4 neo type upgrade, yet its clear they are working on new hardware...

Maybe I'm just insane.

LOL!

No.

Maybe I'm just insane.

Bingo.

:p

jelly

They need to make an Xbox One Europe edition that advertises itself somehow as well ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Ha, so true but seriously, they can't stumble again outside of the US and UK. No tier 2, half baked features. For gods sake, language and region changes, you make Windows ffs.

Luckydog

What we really need to think about is what would ACTUALLY bring people back to the Xbox environment that would make it worthwhile to change for MS. Making updated hardware closer to PS4 while people are already committed to Sony wont win people over.

Think about this. MS has repeatedly tried to blur the line between Xbox and Windows 10. What if they take this a half step further. Not making Xbox just another App on a PC, but allowing 1 single app on Xbox that is on PC.....Steam. If they release hardware on par with PS4K AND allowed steam, I think that would actually get people to move from Sony to MS again. They would be the ONLY console to allow choice via 2 stores for buying games on their xbox hardware. Power parity, more choice for games, and better backwards compatibility with previous 360 gen. That would be a package that might get people to move.

Sydle

What we really need to think about is what would ACTUALLY bring people back to the Xbox environment that would make it worthwhile to change for MS. Making updated hardware closer to PS4 while people are already committed to Sony wont win people over.

Think about this. MS has repeatedly tried to blur the line between Xbox and Windows 10. What if they take this a half step further. Not making Xbox just another App on a PC, but allowing 1 single app on Xbox that is on PC.....Steam. If they release hardware on par with PS4K AND allowed steam, I think that would actually get people to move from Sony to MS again. They would be the ONLY console to allow choice via 2 stores for buying games on their xbox hardware. Power parity, more choice for games, and better backwards compatibility with previous 360 gen. That would be a package that might get people to move.

I love the idea so much, and it makes a lot of sense in terms of winning gamers over, but it conflicts with Microsoft's interest in their own Windows Store that I just don't see them doing it.

greenegt

I keep seeing this idea, but it seems like suicide to me. Why would MS want to spend 2 years with a console least powerful out of maybe 4 on the market (PS4, PS4Neo, NX?, XB1)? That just seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

2018 i don't know man. That would mean they will be sitting in third place for a long time, because it seems pretty sure NX will be at least a PS4. And I'm only speaking for myself here but i will move to PS4K and NX for my multiplatform games and only have the Xbox One for the exclusives. I rather not, because i am a big Xbox gamer. I bet many people won't be buying multiplats on X1 anymore and that cant be what MS wants.

2018? Hell no. A lot sooner then that. Why would they wait?

XB1 takes over the 360 slot and a new Xbox for premium.

I think it's prudent to wait and come out first with true next gen (4K native gaming), because there's not much for MS to gain by following along now. Here's what I mean:

Sony has a huge mind- and marketshare advantage right now. If MS just does the 'me too' thing with a XB1.5, what does that really get them? Yes, XB1 will be the least powerful machine, but it's still close enough to PS4 performance that it's not that big of a deal.

If Sony pushes hard on exploiting the advantages of the Neo, it undercuts their own PS4, which could get them some backlash from the hardcore crowd.

Meanwhile, MS can plan and execute a new machine for 2018, with 4K native gaming, and a lot of lessons learned from their XB1 mistakes. If they can fix the issues with UWP, that will make the whole backwards/forward compatibility issue a lot easier on the devs. This puts MS in a nice position going forward.

pitchfork

This would be amazing

gamz

I think it's prudent to wait and come out first with true next gen (4K native gaming), because there's not much for MS to gain by following along now. Here's what I mean:

Sony has a huge mind- and marketshare advantage right now. If MS just does the 'me too' thing with a XB1.5, what does that really get them? Yes, XB1 will be the least powerful machine, but it's still close enough to PS4 performance that it's not that big of a deal.

If Sony pushes hard on exploiting the advantages of the Neo, it undercuts their own PS4, which could get them some backlash from the hardcore crowd.

Meanwhile, MS can plan and execute a new machine for 2018, with 4K native gaming, and a lot of lessons learned from their XB1 mistakes. If they can fix the issues with UWP, that will make the whole backwards/forward compatibility issue a lot easier on the devs. This puts MS in a nice position going forward.

Why do they have to wait 2 years to do that? They can do that this year.

Synth

Steam never is and never will be a competitior to Xbox or the Windows store.

You put Steam on Xbox and it sure as fuck will be. It would eliminate basically all the reasons MS has a console in the first place (whilst heavily sabotaging any of their gaming efforts on PC at the same time). 360 Backwards Compatibility?... Would be mostly a waste if you can buy the same game on Steam for $4 and run it at 1080p/60fps on your new Xbox... Seamless Xbox Live crossplay? Just move all your Xbox friends to Steam instead... Deals with Gold? Versus routine Steam sales... Minecraft skins?... Shit, we got free custom Street Fighter skins... also we have Street Fighter. It'd also be safe for developers to simply not bother porting to Xbox (which in turn ensures they don't port to Windows 10 Store), because you can just sell the userbase the Steam version. Everyone but Microsoft wins!

It would be dumb as hell. They may as well just go third party, as it wouldn't actually be a million miles off.

What you really mean, is that it'd get people moving from Sony to Valve.

Sydle

Sounds like what they say every year prior to conference season.

But we don't have an executive talking about wanting to release new hardware during a generation every year.

Context.

You put Steam on Xbox and it sure as fuck will be. It would basically eliminate basically all the reasons MS has a console in the first place (whilst heavily sabotaging any of their gaming efforts on PC at the same time). 360 Backwards Compatibility?... Would be mostly a waste if you can buy the same game on Steam for $4 and run it at 1080p/60fps on your new Xbox... Seamless Xbox Live crossplay? Just move all your Xbox friends to Steam instead... Deals with Gold? Versus routine Steam sales... Minecraft skins?... Shit, we got free custom Street Fighter skins... also we have Street Fighter. It'd also be safe for developers to simply not bother porting to Xbox (which in turn ensures they don't port to Windows 10 Store), because you can just sell the userbase the Steam version. Everyone but Microsoft wins!

It would be dumb as hell.

You're talking about the Windows Team's Xbox now though and they're charged with thinking about making hardware that highlights the advantages of Windows and bringing more people into the ecosystem to use more MS services and third-party apps. Getting people to buy more apps and third-party services via the Windows Store is probably a higher priority for that team than just driving more game sales.

And who says Microsoft couldn't work out a deal with Valve where they get a small cut of each digital sale that happens on Steam on a Xbox?

The Shift

Banned

Never going to happen for obvious reasons. There is probably more chance Microsoft partners with Facebook releasing a higher end console capable of running Occulus Rift with both parties taking the hit on margin in an attempt to gain widespread xboxOcculus adoption.

Also known as not happening.

greenegt

Why do they have to wait 2 years to do that? They can do that this year.

The tech isn't there yet for true next gen (4K for consoles) and it's too early to dump the XB1. Also, if they go early, they risk getting crushed by a PS5 that offers 4K gaming.

jelly

I wonder if they will announce original Xbox compatibility. That would be pretty sweet but I fear they might get bored of BC, even 360 games as well if they start being really successful again. I'm not sure if Xbox One being x86 makes it any easier or it's the Nvidia or tools they used back then still make it hard to do.

Luckydog

You put Steam on Xbox and it sure as fuck will be. It would eliminate basically all the reasons MS has a console in the first place (whilst heavily sabotaging any of their gaming efforts on PC at the same time). 360 Backwards Compatibility?... Would be mostly a waste if you can buy the same game on Steam for $4 and run it at 1080p/60fps on your new Xbox... Seamless Xbox Live crossplay? Just move all your Xbox friends to Steam instead... Deals with Gold? Versus routine Steam sales... Minecraft skins?... Shit, we got free custom Street Fighter skins... also we have Street Fighter. It'd also be safe for developers to simply not bother porting to Xbox (which in turn ensures they don't port to Windows 10 Store), because you can just sell the userbase the Steam version. Everyone but Microsoft wins!

It would be dumb as hell. They may as well just go third party, as it wouldn't actually be a million miles off.

What you really mean, is that it'd get people moving from Sony to Valve.

I honestly don't think this will happen. My real point is that more powerful hardware or merging PC and Xbox is not going to get people to move. Being the first console to offer choice MIGHT get people to buy hardware again. As it is, the hardware is not moving. And if the hardware doesnt move, no one is buying from the MS store anyway, even with it on PC. I have to believe that if Steam was to ever run on the Xbox console, MS would have to get some cut. Not 30% like apple takes. But even 5%?

It would take a lot longer than 2018 to get true, native 4K gaming on a console. They will release something next year.

gamz

The tech isn't there yet for true next gen (4K for consoles) and it's too early to dump the XB1. Also, if they go early, they risk getting crushed by a PS5 that offers 4K gaming.

Why would they dump the XB1? All because they come out with a new system they aren't dumping the XB1. Do you think stopping production of the 360 was just because? It's because they are probably going to slot the XB1 into the 360 place. They aren't going to wait two years for a new system when they don't have to. They can go early this year and have another one by 2018.

And what PanicFreak said about 4K gaming.

Guys, remember when he said the next xbox will also be Forward Compatible?

So them releasing an xbox this year, or even next year, will play the games released for following xbox that will come out the in 4 years.

So moving forward, whatever they release, it will play all Xbox games. Past*, Present and future. The marketing will change for their hardware in a big way, like someone mentioned earlier stating "starting at $299" or something.
*360 titles still being worked on

that's my guess... but this e3 is a revised slimmer xbox one with no cpu/gpu upgrade, maybe something to enable UHD blu-ray playback and 4k streaming.

IDk about it being slim since someone using the hdmi in with a tv set, has it on a lot longer than just someones quick gaming session.

e3 will be interseting none the less.

AmyS

MS to talk about gaming on XB1, W10 "and beyond" in the next "few weeks" & months

Special HW event coming?

source: http://news.xbox.com
via: http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_drops_another_hint_at_new_xbox_console.html

I noticed earlier last week that the domain www.xboxevent.com has been changed. It redirected to xbox.com for more than 2 years now after it was used for initial XboxOne reveal event. Now it's back on it's old IP at eventcore (who organized the reveal event)

And there it is. Xbox Beyond.

XBB

Synth

I honestly don't think this will happen. My real point is that more powerful hardware or merging PC and Xbox is not going to get people to move. Being the first console to offer choice MIGHT get people to buy hardware again. As it is, the hardware is not moving. And if the hardware doesnt move, no one is buying from the MS store anyway, even with it on PC. I have to believe that if Steam was to ever run on the Xbox console, MS would have to get some cut. Not 30% like apple takes. But even 5%?

They're not selling as many Xbox consoles as Sony are selling PS4's... but let's not act like they're selling so little that the software and online subscriptions (which Steam games would logically also not require) aren't bringing in substantial amounts of cash. The only way Steam on Xbox makes any sense is via a direct partnership, where they may as well become a single platform. Selling a load of hardware is basically pointless if it's not driving the software and services that the hardware exists to push. You'd need a stupid amount of Steam purchases to go through at 5% to balance out all the software you'd no longer be seeing the 30% of (let alone online fees). And even that would be tricky to manage seeing as Steam keys bought elsewhere are so common.

It'd be a mess.

gamz

That's the whole point. Going forward it's backwards and forward compatible. Hardware is sep from software.

edit: reply to Samurai G0SU

greenegt

It would take a lot longer than 2018 to get true, native 4K gaming on a console. They will release something next year.

Why would they dump the XB1? All because they come out with a new system they aren't dumping the XB1. Do you think stopping production of the 360 was just because? It's because they are probably going to slot the XB1 into the 360 place. They aren't going to wait two years for a new system when they don't have to. They can go early this year and have another one by 2018.

And what PanicFreak said about 4K gaming.

Good points by you guys. I'm in still the traditional console generation mindset. If 4K console gaming is still a good ways off, then it does make sense to improve the hardware sooner. I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Doffen

Ha, so true but seriously, they can't stumble again outside of the US and UK. No tier 2, half baked features. For gods sake, language and region changes, you make Windows ffs.

It's so terrible.

They really need to rebuild their brand in Europe.

WadeitOut

They have to react. They just have to.

The Xbox One is already left in the dust by the PS4, they can't let Sony widen the gap in perception even further with the arrival of the PS4K.

A console revision must be coming, the question is how high are they ready to go.

Confused by this because the Xbox One revision rumor came out way before the PS4k stuff that Somy has not yet confirmed though we know it's real.

Luckydog

They're not selling as many Xbox consoles as Sony are selling PS4's... but let's not act like they're selling so little that the software and online subscriptions (which Steam games would logically also not require) aren't bringing in substantial amounts of cash. The only way Steam on Xbox makes any sense is via a direct partnership, where they may as well become a single platform. Selling a load of hardware is basically pointless if it's not driving the software and services that the hardware exists to push. You'd need a stupid amount of Steam purchases to go through at 5% to balance out all the software you'd no longer be seeing the 30% of (let alone online fees). And even that would be tricky to manage seeing as Steam keys bought elsewhere are so common.

It'd be a mess.

I disagree. It is not like they are in a close race with PS4. They are getting destroyed, and this from a 10 year member of Live. The box is not perceived as valuable or powerful and their software and services are suffering for it. The big games get published, but smaller ones tend to miss or come late. SuperGiant just announced yet another game not on Xbox and Rocket League came WAY later. If they want to sell software and services, they need to have some reason for people to come back. They are not coming back for equivalent hardware on PS4k. All the games that were core to the Xbox store (Forza, gears, halo, sea of thieves) will still only be available via the xbox store. For games they are selling less to none of (third party games like assassins creed) they might actually pick up sales from people who are buying PS4 versions because they have the option of getting it on steam.

This is a huge reach, but can you imagine: If you buy from the MS Store, you get it on Windows 10 and Xbox. If you buy it from Steam you STILL get it on PC (without the limitations of UWA) and you STILL get it on XBOX. Double win for consumers.

gamz

Confused by this because the Xbox One revision rumor came out way before the PS4k stuff that Somy has not yet confirmed though we know it's real.

It's the new console warz stuff. MS talked about it first, no wait Sony did? No wait NX came out first!

I see this on every thread now.

Chris1

I keep seeing this idea, but it seems like suicide to me. Why would MS want to spend 2 years with a console least powerful out of maybe 4 on the market (PS4, PS4Neo, NX?, XB1)? That just seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

What would they gain by releasing a more powerful console though?

If they released a powerful machine, nothing would change, it's not going to somehow help them sell a million consoles and the xbox one has already been stained with the "weak console" nonsense. It's 3 years in, 99% (stats from my ass) of people just buy what their friends have now, and that happens to be a PS4. Games still have to be made for the PS4, so it's not like the xbox one is going to start missing out on games due to weaker hardware.

Nintendo doesn't count here, nobody is going to sell their Playstation or Xbox to buy an NX, let's be real here. They're in their own little world/console war by themselves.

I'd like them to stick this gen out too and launch next gen, never been a fan of this upgraded console model bullshit.

Pif

Banned
I wonder if they're gonna take a jab at Sony for releasing a mid gen refresh.

Or if they're gonna eat a frog and release a more powerful xbox 1.

ironcreed

Banned
As with PS4K, I don't see the point at all. But I guess the option for those who want more power every few years is neat. I just know that I am not going to be buying new systems every 3 years, lol. That is barely even enough time to make a good game. Once I buy a console, I want software for years to make it worth my purchase, not more hardware before the gen even gets going.

Synth

I disagree. It is not like they are in a close race with PS4. They are getting destroyed, and this from a 10 year member of Live. The box is not perceived as valuable or powerful and their software and services are suffering for it. The big games get published, but smaller ones tend to miss or come late. SuperGiant just announced yet another game not on Xbox and Rocket League came WAY later. If they want to sell software and services, they need to have some reason for people to come back. They are not coming back for equivalent hardware on PS4k. All the games that were core to the Xbox store (Forza, gears, halo, sea of thieves) will still only be available via the xbox store. For games they are selling less to none of (third party games like assassins creed) they might actually pick up sales from people who are buying PS4 versions because they have the option of getting it on steam.

This is a huge reach, but can you imagine: If you buy from the MS Store, you get it on Windows 10 and Xbox. If you buy it from Steam you STILL get it on PC (without the limitations of UWA) and you STILL get it on XBOX. Double win for consumers.

Yea, they're getting destroyed, and it is harming their software and services... but not nearly to the extent that Steam would. "Buy DooM on Xbox for £45!"... or buy the PC version of cdkeys.com for £25, and use it on both your console and PC!

If you could get the Windows 10 and Xbox version of a game, or the Steam and Xbox version of a game... who in their right mind would EVER pick the former? The latter is two unique copies, allowing access to 2 wholly unique ecosystems, whilst being habitually cheaper.

You talk of games getting ported over late (e.g. Rocket League), why would this speed something like that up? They could have simply not ported it ever, and Xbox players could have just bought the Steam version and played with PC and PlayStation gamers from day one. Your solution to the "they're selling less third party games" is to let Valve sell them instead, whilst paying MS a sixth of the money they currently see from an XB1 sale. Is the software split on a game like Assassin's Creed consistently around 6:1 in the PS4's favor? Because that's the kind of math you're working with in order for this tradeoff to make sense.

Also, many, many Steam games will require mouse/keyboard and controllers outside of those MS provides for their console. So now, you're not just trading off software license fees, and online subscriptions fees... but also potentially accessories as well.

Everything you suggest sounds absolutely wonderful for you and me (and Valve)... but I'm having a very hard time seeing how this wouldn't just be utter stupidity on MS' end. It's creating a rival store (that obliterates them in the space they currently share) within the one place they currently have full control of. It'd do them worse than iTunes did.

They have to react. They just have to.

The Xbox One is already left in the dust by the PS4, they can't let Sony widen the gap in perception even further with the arrival of the PS4K.

A console revision must be coming, the question is how high are they ready to go.

Left in the dust?

Isn't the PS4 still struggling to get a full 2:1 over XBox? (I use struggling for lack of a better term., maybe fighting?)

I mean I think once that breaks and it starts heading to 2.5 and 3 it will be left in the dust.

MilkyJoe

As with PS4K, I don't see the point at all. But I guess the option for those who want more power every few years is neat. I just know that I am not going to be buying new systems every 3 years, lol. That is barely even enough time to make a good game. Once I buy a console, I want software for years to make it worth my purchase, not more hardware before the gen even gets going.

Well we are half way through what would be a traditional gen and as the boxes will be backwards forwards compatible, you don't have to worry about games.

Top Bottom