• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first thread: PlayStation's gameplay is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoukGalaxy

And your last thread. Thanks for your meaningful input. Bye.

Bye Bye Peace GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Last edited:
It’s not hard to rip playstation. But it’s hard to rip it against the competition. Ill help you post some threads with some valid criticisms.

'this sucks ass'. 'this's trash'. 'this's hot garbage'. i mean, where else are you gonna engage with minds capable of such brilliant & insightful erudition?...

Reactions: Isa

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Not gonna flame you OP I understand exactly where you are coming from but
Playstation makes some of the BETTER games of the modern gaming era
IF....you are into the very limited game types sony focuses on.....if you aren't you are SOL
but thats not really saying a lot because the modern era sucks for the most part

it doesn't mean the games themselves are bad you just aren't the target audience (neither am I)
the playstation of old had something for everybody.....thats just not the case anymore
its a western box.....from japan.......thats not very interesting in my opinion but its what modern gamers want I guess?
because its selling I don't understand it but I'm older now maybe its not for me to understand
For me and a few others playstation is at its best when its trying new things and taking risks (PSX, PS3)
I miss underdog sony I honestly think the industry is a better place when sony isn't in the lead or has stiff competition
People are loving the ps4/ps5 era but I'm bored wating for Psychic Force 3 or a Time Crisis 5 port or the latest Gundam VS game

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Many of us have kids. I don't want a raising and yelling at a kid simulator.
lol touche.

I felt that way playing Uncharted 4. The last third of the game is a marriage/divorce simulator with Elena and Drake essentially in an eloborate couples counseling session. thanks but no thanks.

I love sony games and i loved GOW 2018, but there is some truth to this. The games are losing what made them fun. It seems like they are all concerned with making cinematic masterpieces as if they are competing with tv and movies. Nah, man, you ought to compete with other video games. I admire what Neil tried to do with TLOU2 but ffs the game is too dreary for its own good. Lighten up. GOW's insane fascination with one shot takes all but ruined the sequel which is supposed to be a lot more epic but they ended up handcuffing themselves. Spiderman 2 is literally just another spiderman story. They have yet to showcase any new gameplay features. This is a game with 5 year in dev time roughly on par with new IPs like Starfield and Avatar, and pales in comparison to direct sequels like Zelda ToTK. So we are just doing stories now? Is that all what games have become?

That said, i dont know what the fuck the OP is smoking trashing Returnal. Thats a very non-Sony playstation game. Astrobot VR is a masterpiece in game design. Team ICO games are legendary, and while they might no longer be working with Sony, they are part of Playstation's legacy.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Wait…did OP pay for gold just to get banned, or did one of you gift gold to OP? Either or is bad, but if you gifted gold, you are just as bad 🤷‍♂️😂. I await an update from someone lol

Lethal01

I agree with the OP sadly.

But that doesn't mean their games are trash otherwise they wouldn't sell as good as they do.

For me the last good god of war game was on PS3. And I didn't like the last of us either.

The new god of war games are 8 at best. And they are playable. But they are not epic. They made kratos a pussy.

Many of us have kids. I don't want a raising and yelling at a kid simulator.

But I still love PlayStation because the production value in their games is impressive. Proper animation and graphics and story telling. Dont like gameplay much that's on me. Personal individual opinion.

And they are the best company for these kind of games.

Kratos is manlier than ever, He's probably be embarrassed to see the edgy teen he was acting like before.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, IDK if as far a saying "trash" but I just played TLOU on my PC and while the graphics on cutscenes were good and the script was great, the gameplay and level design were from completely mediocre to "good enough"... I just can't see what others see in the game...

Maybe it's because it's the type of power fantasy the fans like and nobody else gave it to them? IDK, the game was even pretty boring at moments between fights and once I got into a fight, they were kinda fun mostly because I like stealth clearing enemies in every game, and it wasn't specially good here.

Game was enjoyable, but to me it was like:
- Graphics: 10/10 (despite not being my thing, could appreciate the objectively)
- Music: let's say 8/10, I felt it was pretty absent but the ones pieces I remember were good
- Story: 5/10... I know this might be polemic but yeah, story is simple as shit in that game, but the script and characters are great. I hated Joel and hope he dies a horrible dead when I play 2 but that's only means he's well written because I hate him for plot reasons.
- Gameplay: 4/10 or so... Game isn't "bad" but gameplay felt too much like "just to have something to call this a game"

It wasn't a bad game but far from "a masterpiece" in any possible sense and gameplay wise it's actually pretty bad and that's supposedly "Sony top" so idk what to think, I'll still give it a chance to others I have in mind. Someone said in another thread that "that's because the game is outdated", but how a game can already be "outdated" after only 10 years in a generation where games barely changed?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Uh oh

But I gotta agree that it's a huge drop overall compared to the titles they had on PSX and PS2 as far as diversity and fun went. (but not trash)

The titles are coming to PC, I buy them almost all (except TLOU because its bugged), but the more i play them, the more i don't understand the mega hype around their games. It's all presentation. Horizon zero dawn took everything from me to find the will to finish it. Boring. Spiderman remastered is boring me to death, who thought that open world gameplay ala ubisoft is a good fit here. Returnal is pretty fun. God of War daddy is less fun than the GOW i played on PS2. The map design is stupid, they were so close to hint at a metroidvania unlocking and progression with skills you unlock but the idea pretty much died in the egg, they barely used it in the map. Let's not go into the perpendicular map around the central hub where you basically backtrack what you went through back to hub, almost no intertwine. I have Days Gone on my library i have not opened yet and Uncharted 4 i got for free, not even installed.

I miss the Ico, Shadow of the colossus. I would give good money for ports of these on PC, along with The Last guardian. Gravity rush, Bloodborne. I wish those would come to PC, not the BLOCKBUSTER "Hey buddy! HaVe YOu sEEn thOse GraPHIx? We even put painted bird shit ledges so you don't get lost, grab the ledge! I heard you like open world ubisoft recipe games? Well you won't believe it! We DO TOO!"

Maybe I'm not just the public. But it's far too blockbuster'y for me.
Hey, game is horribly optimized, it made me buy a third party CPU cooler because I was using the stock Ryzen one and it worked pretty well with other games, it made my CPU throttle so hard that a scene that was 70 fps started to drop to 40 fps just because of heat and the new cooler solved it, but the only "bugs" I got were some graphical bugs like twice I think? They were minor, like texture flickering for half a second when I walked towards a wall without noticing, but it never happened again.

FSR is broken shit there though, I rather played 1440p native with some slowdowns in specific moments (VRR solved them for me) since it was a shimmery mess in dark wet environments, the little "shine" of wet reflections looked too bad, like small white pixels, when moving the camera.

Last edited:
Man OP already banned. Well, I agree and disagree with parts of the post I think

Here’s my contribution to this conversation, I’ve noticed lately they feel like they have to ape TV and Film so badly they unfortunately have been foolish enough to port over the “slow parts” because well uhhhh that’s what other respectable art forms have right? Without considering that they are in a separate art form with its own strengths and weaknesses in narrative storytelling

For example, you chopping shit up as kratos, you’re shooting dudes as Nate or Ellie, you’re swinging around as Spider-Man, but STOP!!!! Here’s a godawful dogshit fucking 1-2 hour Atreus section. Here’s a looooong stretch of just walking forward and hearing some ooooh so relatable “look at me I’m a writer” natural banter between Nate/Ellie and *insert ally here*, here’s a shitty fucking MJ and miles section.

They get scared to have you just playing an action game because we have this mature adult story we wanna tell and movies and TV aren’t just non stop action are they? Yes now we must have slow parts for uh “pacing” even though they utterly destroyed our video game pacing and made our story unreplayable except by the most devout fans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom