• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first thread: PlayStation's gameplay is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
Of course it is not as black and white. That said, if you told me that GoT, Horizon and Days Gone were made by the same devs, I would believe you. If you told me that pretty much every major game they made were written by the same creative team, I would believe you, because every story beat, every dramatic stake etc are usually taken from the same rulebook. I can only imagine it is because Sony has a very hands on approach just like they do with their own superhero movies so it is always a pleasant surprise to see an anomaly like the 2018's God of War - while Sony game through and through, it just felt fresh and therefor exciting.

I could see criticism that some of the games follow Ubisoft's template, but saying they look like the games are made from the same creative teams? No....I just don't see that at all.

Red5

For me with the PS4 and PS5, most of Sony's first party titles are big cinematic experiences with set pieces and a bit of hand holding narratives. They're great games but they never give me the urge to replay them when I'm done with them.

I prefer games with more immersion and interactivity like Deus Ex, Prey or Thief, cRPG's and RTS games too.

Topher

Gold Member
For me with the PS4 and PS5, most of Sony's first party titles are big cinematic experiences with set pieces and a bit of hand holding narratives. They're great games but they never give me the urge to replay them when I'm done with them.

I prefer games with more immersion and interactivity like Deus Ex, Prey or Thief, cRPG's and RTS games too.

I'd say lack of replay value is a legit criticism for many of the games. That's why I always either buy physical (to resell) or rent the games.

Gudji

Joker Pencil GIF by Pixel Bandits

Roberts

I could see criticism that some of the games follow Ubisoft's template, but saying they look like the games are made from the same creative teams? No....I just don't see that at all.

I don’t necessarily mean that as a bad thing, just it gives every game a certain familiarity. For the sake of comparison, let’s look at Marvel films or the stuff they make for Netflix. Different teams make them and stories can frel wildly different but other than some occasional oddity, they use more or less the same LUTs before color grading, similar lighting techniques, similar approach to crafting fight scenes and one point you are starting to see a familiar pattern. You can call it a texture or an identity. And speaking of that, I’m actually kind of glad that Sony is branching out with their move towards GAAS.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GT7 has fantastic moment to moment racing gameplay.

MLB The Show is arguably the best baseball sim gameplay ever.

🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Tomeru

I think the reaction in here was over the top so I agree. OP made a fair point but could've gone about it better. Good luck with that though... many people don't take kindly to criticism.
Actually his point was trash, but it is what it is. Like I said, he was upset.

Cashon

Banned
Since I purchased my PS5 last August, I haven't really played it much, compared to my Series X, Switch, or even my PS3. Here is the full list of games that I've beaten since I bought it:

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS5)
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PS5)
Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (PS5)
God of War (2018) (PS4)
Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS4)
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4)
Guacamelee! 2 (PS4)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS4 Remake)

And I haven't really had much interest in playing through anything else yet. I've tried Horizon: Zero Dawn multiple times, but can't get into it. I have basically 1% interest in Death Stranding, which is pretty much only because it's Kojima and Snake Eater is probably in my Top 3. I will eventually give Ragnarok a shot, but I thought the first was incredibly overrated. I'll play Miles Morales this December and will eventually get around to A Rift Apart. I have Sackboy in the disc drive, but it's not a game that I have much desire to get back to, despite loving both Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World.

Overall, I prefer to play my third-party games on my Series X and occasionally consider selling my PS5. I think Sony's playbook since the start of the PS4 has been too much focus on pretty simple gameplay to appeal to the masses, which makes their games feel kinda samey. Even the menus all feel very samey.

I think they're taking an even worse direction now, with all of this investment into free-to-play multiplayer stuff.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t say I agree. Even TLoU is lots of fun to play and sneak around in even if you skip through all the story stuff. And it looks amazing to boot.

Not to mention stuff like Astro’s Playroom, GoW, Spider-Man etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My PS5 is probably my least played console I've owned (maybe ever!), but Playstation's games are still generally pretty good.

Cashon

Banned
Can’t say I agree. Even TLoU is lots of fun to play and sneak around in even if you skip through all the story stuff. And it looks amazing to boot.

Not to mention stuff like Astro’s Playroom, GoW, Spider-Man etc. etc. etc.
Astro's Playroom was fantastic, though I played through it at launch on a friend's PS5. Perfect pack-in game.

SenkiDala

Ok so here's the thing, PlayStation used to be entertaining, I would say their final days of being entertaining ended after God Of War 3. Since The Last of Us every game is a melodramatic set piece with average gameplay. I was playing Infamous Second Son and Spider Man the other day, how can you make Super Heroes games boring? You're telling me those games are supposed to be for adults?. I was playing Metroid Prime Remastered utilizing my brain and thinking what to do, then I played Returnal (a modern space game) with zero complexity and thinking why tf am I wasting my time with this?. You know you can expect the same shit from TLOU3 just with better graphics and an even more woke story, but the gameplay will be the same shit from 2013. If I'm wrong mention one modern playstation game with complex gameplay that is not Demon Souls or Bloodborne. I'll wait.

Until-Dawn-9.jpg
I understand that point of view but you say it like it was an absolute truth... It is a matter of taste.
Personally when I play a game I don't always want it to be like a From game, I wanna chill I wanna have a cool moment, live a fun adventure. The games you're talking about are obviously mainstream. All AAA needs to be mainstream, when games costs 300mil+ to make, you won't get your money back if you make an underground cryptic game with a complex game mechanics. That is even why the success of From games are so singular.
I like Spider-Man games, I wouldn't play that all year and I need to change as my mood changes, but I like diversity.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My PS5 is probably my least played console I've owned (maybe ever!), but Playstation's games are still generally pretty good.
It’s definitely my least played. I bought one in 2021 because I lucked into it when it popped up on Sony’s store.

I don’t really care for Sony’s big AAA blockbuster story-driven stuff + PC is my preferred platform anyway. Only reason I’ve held on to PS5 is for Gran Turismo + Final Fantasy XVI (which kinda sucked IMO) + 4K blu rays.

Why do people say this? I'm not sure if it's lack of proper research or something else...

I'm fully aware of Astrobot. Let me expand. I'd claim that Astrobot, while charming and innovative, is not as "crazy" or "out there" as something like Ape escape. The elevator pitch for Astrobot is relatively more straight forward than a game about chasing loose monkeys. Furthermore, something like Mr. Mosquito, Okage, Dark cloud or Vib Ribbon (like your avatar) would very likely not get greenlit by current Sony in this day and age.

FYI, I can assure you its not "something else". I practically only game on PS consoles.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I'm fully aware of Astrobot. Let me expand. I'd claim that Astrobot, while charming and innovative, is not as "crazy" or "out there" as something like Ape escape. The elevator pitch for Astrobot is relatively more straight forward than a game about chasing loose monkeys. Furthermore, something like Mr. Mosquito, Okage, Dark cloud or Vib Ribbon (like your avatar) would very likely not get greenlit by current Sony in this day and age.

FYI, I can assure you its not "something else". I practically only game on PS consoles.
Alright, your opinion is pretty reasonable then, but at the end of the day, most of these companies won't be willing to fund ANY type of game unless they feel it's financially worthwhile. I mentioned this in another thread, but the reason there isn't another Vibri game, for example, has less to do with the crazy nature of the series and more to do with the fact that Vib-Ripple, the Japan-exclusive sequel on PS2, in addition to not being well received, was a huge flop in the region, killing any chance of a third entry for the foreseeable future.
But I don't think SIE is adverse to these types of games, let alone if they see a potential popular concept. And really, this criticism applies to most, if not all of the big Japanese publishers nowadays, to be honest. Nintendo used to be the king of crazy experiments in the DS/Wii era and now look at their current output.

Solidus_T

Returnal, The Last of Us 2, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, Rachet and Clank, Astrobot?

Dude is mad at legitimately great games because of the platform. Garbage thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom