• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first thread: PlayStation's gameplay is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldaring

Banned
Well, IDK if as far a saying "trash" but I just played TLOU on my PC and while the graphics on cutscenes were good and the script was great, the gameplay and level design were from completely mediocre to "good enough"... I just can't see what others see in the game...

Maybe it's because it's the type of power fantasy the fans like and nobody else gave it to them? IDK, the game was even pretty boring at moments between fights and once I got into a fight, they were kinda fun mostly because I like stealth clearing enemies in every game, and it wasn't specially good here.

Game was enjoyable, but to me it was like:
- Graphics: 10/10 (despite not being my thing, could appreciate the objectively)
- Music: let's say 8/10, I felt it was pretty absent but the ones pieces I remember were good
- Story: 5/10... I know this might be polemic but yeah, story is simple as shit in that game, but the script and characters are great. I hated Joel and hope he dies a horrible dead when I play 2 but that's only means he's well written because I hate him for plot reasons.
- Gameplay: 4/10 or so... Game isn't "bad" but gameplay felt too much like "just to have something to call this a game"

It wasn't a bad game but far from "a masterpiece" in any possible sense and gameplay wise it's actually pretty bad and that's supposedly "Sony top" so idk what to think, I'll still give it a chance to others I have in mind. Someone said in another thread that "that's because the game is outdated", but how a game can already be "outdated" after only 10 years in a generation where games barely changed?
I'm the one who said it was out dated gameplay wise now but the story and atmosphere blew everything when first played it 10 years ago. I don't agree that gaming has barely changed. For me it was hard to find a games that had fun combat that actually had challenge, and made you learn the mechanics. 360/ps3 was such a boring gen for me.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I think there should be a special thread where you can just... I dunno... war one out. Get it out of your system.
Keeps it *mostly* contained in a single mega-thread.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What a waste of time. I have some opinions on things but would rather not waste everyone's time.

Maybe he has time to get laid now.

SJRB

Gold Member
179.jpg

Hudo

I get we didn't need a thread but don't see how this is bannable or "console warring". Dudes got an opinion...people might not agree with it but that's OK (or so it should be). Cant see his post history so maybe he is a console warrior.
Yeah... but that's just how it is on here. I also got a warning once for console warring when I just was making fun of console warriors in some thread. I am still figuring out how to make fun of it without the authorities getting onto my scheme. I hope this conversation stays between us.

This one.
i'm an idiot :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yeah... but that's just how it is on here. I also got a warning once for console warring when I just was making fun of console warriors in some thread. I am still figuring out how to make fun of it without the authorities getting onto my scheme. I hope this conversation stays between us.
tell me about it. i've lost count of how many times i've been banned. i'm trying to be on my best behaviour! seriously i'm expecting a ban for the "saying something bad about Playstation". Was nice knowing ye!

Ok so here's the thing, PlayStation used to be entertaining, I would say their final days of being entertaining ended after God Of War 3. Since The Last of Us every game is a melodramatic set piece with average gameplay. I was playing Infamous Second Son and Spider Man the other day, how can you make Super Heroes games boring? You're telling me those games are supposed to be for adults?. I was playing Metroid Prime Remastered utilizing my brain and thinking what to do, then I played Returnal (a modern space game) with zero complexity and thinking why tf am I wasting my time with this?. You know you can expect the same shit from TLOU3 just with better graphics and an even more woke story, but the gameplay will be the same shit from 2013. If I'm wrong mention one modern playstation game with complex gameplay that is not Demon Souls or Bloodborne. I'll wait.

Until-Dawn-9.jpg
Bro said woke 💀💀💀💀💀

Roberts

There are million ways he could have made his point and he chose just about the dumbest one. Bravo!

P.S. Considering Sony games are usually critically acclaimed and loved by gamers, I would actually like to see a meaningful, bait-free take (here on GAF) on why their games perhaps are not all that.

mrmustard

Banned
I get we didn't need a thread but don't see how this is bannable or "console warring". Dudes got an opinion...people might not agree with it but that's OK (or so it should be). Cant see his post history so maybe he is a console warrior.
Sometimes it's difficult here. I got warning points for console warring for calling a console warrior a fanboy and not even directly. Yeah, i'm such a badboy. I guess mods also have their favorite consoles.
I also get that you need to keep some of those apes, because some people think they are entertaining when fighting, screaming and throwing with shit and entertainment brings traffic to the website. Guess it works like in real life. Last in, first out. So they keep most of the allstar warrior veterans and let the new ones go.

Last edited:

Neff

There's definitely a consistent recipe developers follow when creating a modern AAA PlayStation exclusive. For me, sometimes it works (The Last of Us 1 & 2, GoW '18/Ragnarök) and sometimes it doesn't (Uncharted, Horizon, Returnal, Days Gone, Spider-Man). And given that there are more times when it doesn't work, I think criticism of the PlayStation development cookbook is valid.

Just not like this.

Venom Snake

Guys, you're doing it wrong. If you want to continue this BS, question the role of mods and mourn yourselves then start a proper account-suicide thread - rewarded with a live-tag, full of gold, memes and fun, so we can all dance and enjoy the collective madness until your bitter end (and even a bit longer) .

I mean, OP has a point. He could've articulated it better though. Sony used to have a very, very varied selection per generation that covered a wider range of genres. Not to mention, they used to be on the front of giving new experimental ideas a chance to sink or swim. Those days seem to be largely over. These days, most of their modern action adventure games play very closely to one another. At the core they hardly distinguish themselves.

Is this really what Jim and Hermen considers and deems a great lineup? The lipservice they paid about "NoT aBaNoDoNiNg ThEiR rOoTs" has mostly been hot air.

BlackTron

You know what he was actually semi on to something but completely botched it. Generally speaking the games are better for marketing to the masses and feeling hyped to play than the actual experience of being on the couch as hours pass. But that is, generally speaking. He could not have picked worse examples and uh...needed to work on his delivery.

But at least now I know, how bad Sony games are. He died for Sony's sins, so we could all find salvation

mrmustard

Banned
I mean, OP has a point. He could've articulated it better though. Sony used to have a very, very varied selection per generation that covered a wider range of genres. Not to mention, they used to be on the front of giving new experimental ideas a chance to sink or swim. Those days seem to be largely over. These days, most of their modern action adventure games play very closely to one another. At the core they hardly distinguish themselves.

Is this really what Jim and Hermen considers and deems a great lineup? The lipservice they paid about "NoT aBaNoDoNiNg ThEiR rOoTs" has mostly been hot air.
It works. Critics love it and Sony loves a high Metascore. Perfekt symbiosis. There will be a point when people get oversaturated by the formula and not even Sony's marketing can get them the desired numbers, but we are not right there.

Topher

Gold Member

Just not true. The core of God of War, Returnal, R&C, Spider-man, TLOU, GoT and Horizon are very different games. The common denominator is high production values and story-driven. AKA "cinematic". Suggesting they "hardly distinguish themselves" simply isn't accurate. I get that some folks don't care for the "cinematic" games and that is completely fine, but plenty of people like myself enjoy the games immensely. I don't think individual likes and dislikes really make a "point" about anything. Just opinions.

Just not true. The core of God of War, Returnal, R&C, Spider-man, TLOU, GoT and Horizon are very different games. The common denominator is high production values and story-driven. AKA "cinematic". Suggesting they "hardly distinguish themselves" simply isn't accurate. I get that some folks don't care for the "cinematic" games and that is completely fine, but plenty of people like myself enjoy the games immensely. I don't think individual likes and dislikes really make a "point" about anything. Just opinions.

I disagree and beg to differ. Their core gameplay mechanics and over-the-shoulder structure largely do not vary greatly. I have nothing particularly against cinematic games. They're fine and do enjoy them too. But, it becomes an issue when this seems to be the overwhelming majority focus of their output. Its completely in your fair right to prefer them this way.

It seems like somewhere along the way they became very risk-averse of giving crazy new ideas a chance. Something like Ape escape or The last guy probably wouldn't fly with Jim or Hermen today.

Topher

Gold Member
I disagree and beg to differ. Their core gameplay mechanics and over-the-shoulder structure largely do not vary greatly. I have nothing particularly against cinematic games. They're fine and do enjoy them too. But, it becomes an issue when this seems to be the overwhelming majority focus of their output. Its completely in your fair right to prefer them this way.

It seems like somewhere along the way they became very risk-averse of giving crazy new ideas a chance. Something like Ape escape or The last guy probably wouldn't fly with Jim or Hermen today.

There is much more to "core gameplay mechanics" than the camera viewpoint. Horizon does not play like Spider-man which does not play like God of War which does not play like Ratchet and Clank.....and so on. This often repeated line that "over the shoulder" view somehow defines the entirety of the gameplay is simply false.

Roberts

Of course it is not as black and white. That said, if you told me that GoT, Horizon and Days Gone were made by the same devs, I would believe you. If you told me that pretty much every major game they made were written by the same creative team, I would believe you, because every story beat, every dramatic stake etc are usually taken from the same rulebook. I can only imagine it is because Sony has a very hands on approach just like they do with their own superhero movies so it is always a pleasant surprise to see an anomaly like the 2018's God of War - while Sony game through and through, it just felt fresh and therefor exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom