• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution |OT| The 5th Storm Cometh

BiggNife

Is there Story Mode Boss Battles similar to the main Storm entries or it's a rather poor one like Generations?
I want to know this too, since the story mode fights are what I care about most in UNS games. If there's no boss fights then I'm just gonna wait for UNS4.

I get the feeling that CC2 are working on huge upgrades to their engine for the next gen. They did the same after the PS2 era of ultimate ninja games.

By the time they announce their next game, they'll have had the PS4 hardware in their possession for more than 2 years, as they were on the screen at the PS4 reveal last year that showed which studios were working on PS4 games.

I can't even imagine what it'll look like..

Me neither. It will look insane and hopefully with the added horsepower, they could do even more. The world, character design...ughh cannot wait.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I want to know this too, since the story mode fights are what I care about most in UNS games. If there's no boss fights then I'm just gonna wait for UNS4.

No boss fights. As i said in the last page, the CC2 cutscenes and battles are not present in this game. Its just the tournament mode and one on one fights between the akatsuki in between pierrot anime cutscenes and a small subsection of shusui's story. Its basically Generations 2 with no actual advancement into manga events. I'd say wait if your want more then a few new characters that should have been in the previous game, and some small DLC

Mesoian

I am frowning super hard at this game.

But it's really exciting to think that the next game is going to encompass all of shippuden.

Of course it won't really matter if Storm's shitty fighting engine persists.

Inuhanyou

One thing i've thought about CC2 for a while, is that they could have skipped the 7th gen entirely. Like literally could have skipped it, brought out their PS3 games in the 8th gen boosted up to 1080p with AA, and they would not have looked out of place at all as games built specifically for 8th gen.

Anyone else feel like that, maybe PC players just getting in via 3 Full Burst?

Zaku

I'll be skipping this one, methinks. I just finished playing through 3, and to be honest the combat isn't a huge draw by itself. I'll wait for 4 to hit, when they finally finish up the entire story.

Maybe I'll pick it up when it's at the $19.99 to $29.99 mark.

I just got back into Naruto after nearly 5 years away from it, so how do I go about playing this series to take in the whole Naruto story...so far?
Does each game focus on a saga or do they just keep repeating the whole plot over and over like DBZ game?
Like, do i need to buy UNS1, UNS2, UNSG, UNS3 and this edition or just one of them?

or are they fighting games with no story at all? :/

Mesoian

I just got back into Naruto after nearly 5 years away from it, so how do I go about playing this series to take in the whole Naruto story...so far?
Does each game focus on a saga or do they just keep repeating the whole plot over and over like DBZ game?
Like, do i need to buy UNS1, UNS2, UNSG, UNS3 and this edition or just one of them?

Nope.

If you want a story recap, play UNS2.

Otherwise, wait for UNS4, which will probably be late 2015/early 2016.

We live in a world where Naruto probably has about 2-4 months before it ends. That's nuts.

To experience the story you need UNS1, 2, and 3. Generations covers some stuff missed or glossed over by the main games but in as barebones a way as possible and is the most traditional fighting game of the series with just anime cutscenes. Revolution is somewhat similar to Generations but with exclusive storylines and the Mecha Naruto plot that actually has a few non-anime cut-scenes.

I lost interest in this series once they introduced the substitution bar. Yes, I'm one of the people that enjoyed the NUNS2 method of subbing. They just needed to increase the energy cost.

Mesoian

I lost interest in this series once they introduced the substitution bar. Yes, I'm one of the people enjoyed the NUNS2 method of subbing. They just needed to increase the energy cost.

The grand comedy of that is that CC2 KNOWS that both substitution bars and assists don't work. They break the game, they have ever since UN2, and when they were removed, they got a fighting game that was incredibly balanced and fun to play...and then in UN5, they put them BACK and broke the game again, and every game since then has been a mess.

desu

The grand comedy of that is that CC2 KNOWS that both substitution bars and assists don't work. They break the game, they have ever since UN2, and when they were removed, they got a fighting game that was incredibly balanced and fun to play...and then in UN5, they put them BACK and broke the game again, and every game since then has been a mess.

I would love to have a NH3 remake, 2D and everything .... please!

What's the sub limit with that bar anyway? Wasn't it 4? Ugh. UNS3 just frustrated me so much. I loved singles matches in UNS2 so much.

SykoTech

I am frowning super hard at this game.

But it's really exciting to think that the next game is going to encompass all of shippuden.

Of course it won't really matter if Storm's shitty fighting engine persists.

Im pretty much in the same boat. Part of me hopes that they don't even make Storm 4, and make a new series with better mechanics covering the whole series, or at least all of Shippuden.

This game has some spectacular looking jutsus though. Just saw
a Naruto and Hinata combo one
. Hot damn. CC2 sure is good at eye candy.

Mesoian

What's the sub limit with that bar anyway? Wasn't it 4? Ugh. UNS3 just frustrated me so much. I loved singles matches in UNS2 so much.

The combat system in NUNS1 and 2 basically allows you to KNJ out of counter hits while attacking because the game has no blockstun for reasons that baffle me. So the idea was, make KnJ moves matter, don't make them spammable, give them for more weight and make it part of the meta game. That basically ruins the flow of the game, but okay, let's assume that worked

Because with Tilt combos paired with the nature of most projectile jutsus in the game, you get situations where the rock paper scissors nature of the basic combat just falls apart, and suddenly KnJ doesn't matter period. Add in how awakenings work in NUNSG and NUNS3 and you've got infinite combos ON THE GROUND that you can't KnJ out of and ultimately use no Chakra.

All of the ultimate Ninja series, as fighting games, are ugly ugly ugly games. They're fun if you like naruto or are interested in seeing where the story goes, but SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT those fighting games are BAD.

Yeah, I'd love an Ultimate Ninja HD collection. I'd buy that 9 times. Those games are dramatically better than the storm series ever was. Like....remember when you could choose what Ougi you used and actually wanted to hit them because they gave you buffs if you did? Remember being able to combo into Ougis the same way you'd combo into an ultra in any other style of fighting game? Remember not having to worry about poison spam at the beginning of the match because you had to FIND items first instead of just having them?

::Huff:: the Storm stuff sucks so much.

Im pretty much in the same boat. Part of me hopes that they don't even make Storm 4, and make a new series with better mechanics covering the whole series, or at least all of Shippuden.

This game has some spectacular looking jutsus though. Just saw
a Naruto and Hinata combo one
. Hot damn. CC2 sure is good at eye candy.

I almost wish CC2 would ask Harada for help when it came to normals. I don't like Tekken very much but, as floaty and as crazy as it can get, it's still a fundamentally more fair solution than what the storm series has.

SoulUnison

Banned

Substitution bar works. I loved the PS2 series, but I don't know if I would have continued past Storm 2 if they hadn't gotten rid of the "mash block wildly and hope it works" substitution system. It was never going to work online.

There's a lot of fun now in trying to bait your opponent's subs, and trying to use footwork to avoid attacks because you want to preserve *your* subs. Throw a cancel dash out in the middle of a combo to try to catch a sub. Toss in a tap dash to force a combo into the air where you're at less risk if it gets reversed on you. Cancel a long range predictable dash into a special to catch people off guard. Sometimes you just have to eat a combo because the other guy's down subs with a bit before a recharge and you know you can get him down to none and land something big if you can just pressure him after you're back on your feet.

Singles is way better in these games, though, you're right. There's just too much going on to properly react to, everybody just chooses the handful of "best supports" over and over, and they break the flow like nobody's business. It'll be even worse now that we have to choose a "Type" and that Defense Drive mode exists.

Counterattack looks half-baked and frustrating as hell. It has the potential to completely ruin singles. Either spend the entire match turtling and using ranged attacks, or risk trying to dash/hit and get UJ'ed over and over.

Something I've gotten the impression from the developers of these games is that they're really passionate about the license and making a great looking, fun to play game - but they're also *really bad* at the game they've made, or maybe the genre or even games in general. I've watched some dev interviews, and when they show off a live demo match or something they always cheese specials and generally run around like they're holding a controller for the first time.

I wonder if the odd and/or non-existent balance choices in these games in because the devs want to have a way for even them to win?

Mesoian

I wonder if the odd and/or non-existent balance choices in these games in because the devs want to have a way for even them to win?

There's something to this. There's an archive of the CC2 devs playing 100 online matches of NUNS2. They get horribly beaten down for 50 some-odd matches by projectile jutsu spamming and, once they start doing it themselves, they start eeking out a few victories.

It's a really bad system.

Ultimadrago

There's something to this. There's an archive of the CC2 devs playing 100 online matches of NUNS2. They get horribly beaten down for 50 some-odd matches by projectile jutsu spamming and, once they start doing it themselves, they start eeking out a few victories.

It's a really bad system.

lol. I could easily imagine this.

SoulUnison

Banned
Did they give us the ability to turn off the on-screen prompts?

After a dozen hours of playing Storm 3 I got really sick of having part of my screen taken up by "ULTIMATE JUTSU FINISH CHANCE!" It could be just as well conveyed and much less aggressively distracting by just having the opponents health bar flash red, or something.

Revolution looks like it's even worse on that front, with all the "Awakening" and "Seal Barrier!" and "Ultimate Finish" prompts plastered on both players side of the screen.

Maybe after playing a couple dozen matches you could have confidence in me that I'll remember how to play the game?

It really distracts from how "cinematic" these games can be.

Chille

So as the game is out soon, I look forward to having my review out in time for the embargo, also for those who got it early, my Minato is online ready for you all :D, he is close to level 40 now.

So, I skipped out on the most recent game (UNS3?) but got the one before that (Generations?). I thought it was okay but still didn't feel they improved the base fighting gameplay enough. Have there been any major gameplay improvements in this game or the one previous? I'm talking in terms of the "flow" of a fight, namely the constant teleporting until someone gets stuck in a long combo chain

Edit: Basically, if this game is simply "more characters", then I don't think I'll be able to keep my friends interested in it long enough to make it worth a purchase

Hisoka

Storm 1 was really awesome with its 3D Konoha. Storm 2 had a huge update on charakters and story, but i already missed the 3D environment.

Seriously, they feel like COD somehow now.
Every year the same stuff. Since Storm 2, the games are just a little "update" to the previously released one.

The charakters don't even have an actual moveset.

I hope the PS4 games will be better again.

Inuhanyou

What are the chances that the game after this will be on PS4?

I'd say 100%. CC2 and Namco bandai have all but confirmed that for next year. CC2 is confirmed to have had the PS4 dev kits for more than 1 year and 10 months right now, and by the time their next game is announced let alone released next year, it will have been 2 and a half years.

Plenty of time to make a new engine and a new game. It took only a little less time for them to get the PS3 dev kits and make their Ultimate Ninja Storm engine after the Ultimate Ninja games on PS2. And this is with much more straightforward and easy to use architecture.

Damn, those ultimate jutsu combination attacks are fucking amazing. CC2 really outdid themselves with those. I really can't wait to see what they do with their next game on PS4. Will be all kinds of glorious.

Dereck

Storm 1 was really awesome with its 3D Konoha. Storm 2 had a huge update on charakters and story, but i already missed the 3D environment.

Seriously, they feel like COD somehow now.
Every year the same stuff. Since Storm 2, the games are just a little "update" to the previously released one.

The charakters don't even have an actual moveset.

I hope the PS4 games will be better again.
The series is still on-going which is why they make the updates.

The series is still flourishing because people keep buying the games.

A $49.99 price tag is OK, but I would have preferred a $39.99 price tag.

Rnr1224

wow looks like they changed the release time so that itll unlock on steam in less than an hour. Hopefully its not an error!

Ultimadrago

I thought this was coming out tomorrow? Unlocks in an hour apparently. Great!

Edit: It's here!

narutoejl0u.jpg

And yet people like Iruka and Konohamaru are playable.

I am not getting it this time. I have gotten all the others at launch, but they always drop in price quickly. Besides, from what I played of the demo, I didn't really like/understand the new battle system.

Hopefully Storm 4 will be on PS4.

And still no Sound 4.
Come on...

Oh is it that close to ending now? Haven't read it in years.

Either way, still no Sound 4 ... MEH!

Glad I'm not alone, its a dang shame there was no sasuka retrieval arc in the 2nd storm game, and the characters they have added (that nobody asked for) in their places is almost insulting. still I'll cop it, the tournament mode should have been 2 versus 2, and I may end up selling it a week later but its a tradition, i've bought every naruto game on Playstation. ever.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

OmegaDL50

I own every single game in the Storm series except the first one and this latest one.

I've been meaning to pick up the first game just for the sake of completion and owning the collection.

Now I suppose I can't say the same for Storm 3, because I didn't buy the original release and skipped it and picked up Full Burst instead.

I'm an avid reader of the Manga and know it's supposedly ending soon. Kishimoto said before 2014 ends.

Still, much like DBZ which ran from 1985 to 1990 or so, still has games coming out for it to this very day. I guess the same is likely to happen for Naruto in which there may be another series of video games in the future even after the Storm series.

Sure the gameplay systems in the Storm titles could do with some considerable balancing changes and revised mechanics, but as a fan of the series, I can forgive some of them due to CC2's amazing cutscene work.

Inuhanyou

Will this continue the story or will it be a "stop gap" title?

"The Bird says no".

But yeah, this is just a Generations type title. Next gen true sequel coming next year.

They make these because Namco Bandai demands an annual game. I don't know if its part of the contract or what, but i don't like it. It just causes division within the fanbase because of how piecemeal everything ends up becoming

Looks awesome and all but looks like I am going to sit this one out like I did Generations and hop onto UNS4 with some ridiculous boss battles but even that looks like it will be low in content from where they ended off in UNS3

Top Bottom