• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 will run at 30FPS on Switch, footage released

Some short clips
https://twitter.com/Melinda_DS/status/903370444341960705

https://twitter.com/Melinda_DS/status/903312293865418755

Update: Another important detail has come in. NBA 2K18 will run at 30 frames per second, while the PlayStation and Xbox One versions are 60 FPS.

2K Sports and Visual Concepts seem to be treating the Switch version of NBA 2K18 well. Folks are starting to go hands on with the game, including USgamer, and we’re hearing that it’s feature complete and will be identical to the PlayStation 4 version. NBA 2K18 players on Switch can expect the inclusion of MyGM team-management, MyLeague, MyCareer, Story mode, and everything else. It’s the same engine across all platforms.

amiibo support is officially confirmed as well. However, the specifics are being kept under wraps.

The only element missing in the Switch version of NBA 2K18 is the ability to create a custom logo for Pro-Am teams. The same MyPlayer story included in other versions is here though.

As far as graphics go, animation and AI are also the same across all platforms. Developer Visual Concepts apparently pushed Switch and its memory to its absolute limits. The team considered whether or not using the same engine made sense, but they’re glad they went in that direction.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nba-2...odes-as-ps4-version-amiibo-support-confirmed/

Its looking pretty good. Pretty much a 1:1 match with the PS4 and X1 versions content wise. 30FPS is going to turn some people off. Bring on WWE 2K18!

That's pretty damn impressive if the animation is identical between versions.

Though I can't remember the last mainstream sports game that didn't target 60 fps.

Last gen ports of recent NBA 2K games run at 30FPS, and they play fantastic. I didn't notice much of a difference playing 2K16 on 360 at 30FPS vs playing on PS4 at 60FPS

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
That's not always how it works. Maybe the CPU isn't strong enough for 60fps.

Nba2k ran at 60 on the 360 and ps3. They chose to not use different assets.

Last gen ports of recent NBA 2K games run at 30FPS, and they play fantastic. I didn't notice much of a difference playing 2K16 on 360 at 30FPS vs playing on PS4 at 60FPS

They did? Shit I didn’t know that. Could have sworn 2k always ran at 60

Dre3001

I think 30 FPS is a decent tradeoff if they were able to incorporate all modes. The single player career mode story is huge and a big draw for this game.

jxN3

Looks like they're trying to optimize it as best as they can. I'll support them for that alone, I really thought third-parties were going to throw out shit no effort ports, but they seem to really be giving it a fair shot.

Would a resolution decrease really have pushed the game to 60 FPS? Seems dubious.

VanWinkle

Very odd for a sports game to be 30fps. I would have to try it to see how it plays.

Awesome that it's a content-match, though.

Servbot24

Banned
It had to have some sort of graphical downgrade. That's kinda the price for going portable. I would prefer they target a locked 60, but I completely understand there has to be sacrifices somewhere.

M-PG71C

It's portable 2K, I'm so fucking in. Being able to play this anywhere at anytime makes it better than the PS4, for me anyway. Only issue is want a physical copy and it looks like I'll be waiting.

Schnozberry

Very odd for a sports game to be 30fps. I would have to try it to see how it plays.

Awesome that it's a content-match, though.

30fps will definitely feel different and require some timing adjustments for those who have grown accustomed to playing the 60fps version.

That said, the game doesn't have a lot of twitchy game play, and has a lot of canned animation, so hitting a stable 30fps with as few graphical compromises as possible is probably a better option than trying to pare back resolution and graphical nuance enough to make 60fps happen. It probably would have looked like hot garbage if they had went that route.

shanafan

It's portable 2K, I'm so fucking in. Being able to play this anywhere at anytime makes it better than the PS4, for me anyway. Only issue is want a physical copy and it looks like I'll be waiting.

Portable NBA and WWE this year. So awesome.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Is there a reason the switch version has no direct feed videos out yet? Is 2k/Nintendo trying to wait until the last minute or am I missing something?

BigEmil

EA using the last gen Ignite engine on FIFA for Switch was the right choice for keeping 60fps sports games 60fps is a must conflicted right now

Effect

Been thinking on it more and content parity is far more important in the end. As long as the game looks good, has all the content and features and frame rate is locked 30fps is acceptable. The Switch isn't a PS4 or XBO. Trade offs are expected. I will accept frame rate differences or decreased graphics as long as the content is there and what is there still looks good and runs well even if it isn't 1:1 with the other systems.

I was just thinking about EA and FIFA. Them going with a custom engine while 2K going for their current engine likely. What is the better option here I wonder? Do you sacrifice certain content for the 60fps or get all of it but have to accept 30fps? This is the catch it seems at the moment between these two games.

jmizzal

Is there a reason the switch version has no direct feed videos out yet? Is 2k/Nintendo trying to wait until the last minute or am I missing something?

There is almost no Direct feed of any version of NBA 2K18

Only trailers and like 5 sec videos on the 2K blogs

KageMaru

They should have offered a lower graphical setting for 60fps. I can't imagine it's the CPU limiting the frame rate here.

Not 60 fps?

imout.0.0.gif

LQX

Haven't bought a basketball game since the 2K series on Dreamcast but I may pick this up. It's a shame they seem to be holding back footage and previews.

Top Bottom