• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 will run at 30FPS on Switch, footage released

R00bot

Will be a great portable experience. I'll be buying this. First sports game I've bought in a long time.

Will still get it for portable 2K action but man...30 fps is disappointing. Will have to double dip on the PC version for sure.

I love how, literally hours ago, we had a thread saying it was identical to the big boy console versions. Fuck outta here.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1426328

Edit: my bad, mods changed the title of that thread to reflect just content.

I love how you were one of the few people who needed it explicitly clarified to know it meant content. As if anyone on here is claiming the Switch is as strong as the PS4/XBO and will look identical visually for intensive games...

J@hranimo

Banned
Less features with 60fps vs All features with 30fps

Interesting conversation going forward. What's more important is how the majority of Switch owners vote with their wallets, not just the minority on GAF.

Impressed with what they're doing here. Good job 2K!

I don't think 30 FPS mean as much a many on GAF make it out to be. However, the problem is that it goes up against a 60 FPS version on the PS4/XB1. Most people that have a choice will pick the PS4/XB1 versions over the Switch which is going to put a hurting on Switch sales. Of the people who only own the Switch, I doubt that NBA 2K18 is the type of game that is near the top of their wish list.

Cartho

If it feels consistent and smooth it probably won't be an issue for me. I mean I would massively prefer 60 bit I got used to it instantly for Forza Horizon and Driveclub.

Peterthumpa

I don't think 30 FPS mean as much a many on GAF make it out to be. However, the problem is that it goes up against a 60 FPS version on the PS4/XB1. Most people that have a choice will pick the PS4/XB1 versions over the Switch which is going to put a hurting on Switch sales. Of the people who only own the Switch, I doubt that NBA 2K18 is the type of game that is near the top of their wish list.
It obviously doesn't. GTA V speaks volumes about it. This forum is mostly comprised of enthusiastic gamers, a far cry from how the general gaming market really behaves.

Don't underestimate the value of a portable 2K

nikatapi

It sure sucks to have it at 30fps, i always prefer higher framerates.
Having complete parity in terms of features, and same engine-animations seems like an ok compromise for a portable device.
I wonder if it will run at 1080p when docked.
Looks good either way, and it's good that 3rd parties are putting the effort to not put borked versions of their games on the Switch.

Now to get all these games, otherwise we'll still cry about there's no 3rd party support for Nintendo consoles.

Brinbe

Fucking fully featured NBA2K on the go. Fucking hell... Goodbye productivity.

I don't think people understand how amazing this is. This may be the most impressive thing on the switch yet. Def double-dipping on the PS4/Switch and maybe even a third time if I end up getting the new Xbox

While 60fps definitely should be a high priority for most sports games, I am still considering getting this just for the sheer portability factor. It's amazing they got it so close to the main games in terms of features/appearance considering the Switch hardware. I probably would rather they have a lower resolution and have a locked 60fps or at least have the option, but I understand why they went this route. I thought it would be a dealbreaker, but watching the footage it honestly doesn't seem as bad as I thought. Maybe it's just the fact that it feels closer to a live game broadcast at the lower framerate (which hurts just saying), but I'm not sure. Maybe that's just a factor of watching it and the input lag/lowered responsiveness of not being 60fps will kill it for me, hopefully I'll be able to get hands on with it before buying.

sleepnaught

Game looks pretty great off screen in portable mode. Definitely picking this up on the Switch.

Portable mode is such a game changer, I'll play just about anything on my Switch over even my gaming PC simply because of how convenient is to pickup and play where you left off, not to mention wherever you want :) Does this support single joycon mp?

guiJedi

Neo Member
I've read some people opinions about the switch version, people that play A LOT of NBA 2K,that's why they where there, and they all said it was impressive and it played great, noone said anything about it feeling slow or anything; so maybe I'm crazy but I'll take those opinions into account more than a number.

aznpxdd

God I can't wait, 2k on the go is gonna be amazing.

As much as I loved both the PSP and Vita, decent NBA games was definitely something that was lacking, I don't even think Vita ever had a proper NBA game...

ozfunghi

So, if they get it working 720/30 in portable mode, is 720/60 docked not possible? Is it 1080/30 docked? Or is the issue the CPU?

On one hand not running at 60 fps is a pity and quite a disadvantage for a sport game, on the other hand the game looks amazing. I'm conflicted.

Does it look amazing? Really? Based on a low-res, off-screen, shaky-cam video?

I understand thirst, but goddamn. Let's reserve at least a few superlatives for when we have actual video instead of diluting them all.

wanders

I've read some people opinions about the switch version, people that play A LOT of NBA 2K,that's why they where there, and they all said it was impressive and it played great, noone said anything about it feeling slow or anything; so maybe I'm crazy but I'll take those opinions into account more than a number.

See that's the thing about the Switch. To the eyes of a casual it might as well be a portable PS4.

aznpxdd

I understand thirst, but goddamn. Let's reserve at least a few superlatives for when we have actual video instead of diluting them all.

The thrist IS real. Because this was the last portable NBA game that we got. And it was shitty-ass NBA Live.

ofMKrNh.jpg

slatis

Neo Member
I'm still in for this game, no 60fps definitely it's a let down; but having a full feature sports game on the console it's all I need.

jxN3

The NBA2K franchise sells like hotcakes, and I doubt the majority of people playing even know what frames per second is.

They'll lose a few purists, but ultimately, it looks better to the wider audience that it's fully featured and has all the animations and such.

I can't believe I'm going to be able to play this shit on my way to work.

guiJedi

Neo Member
See that's the thing about the Switch. To the eyes of a casual it might as well be a portable PS4.

Yeah, like wtf. Are you comparing a two floor 2kg console with a 300gr handheld? get out, its already amazing that we can get full ports like this.

Rellik

It obviously doesn't. GTA V speaks volumes about it. This forum is mostly comprised of enthusiastic gamers, a far cry from how the general gaming market really behaves.

Funnily enough, that's one of the best examples why people (the small enthusiast market) hate 30fps when there's an option for 60. GTA V feels like dog shit to play at 30fps after you've played it at 60fps. It's like walking in slow motion.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What's your problem? Yeah, I think it looks amazing from what I've seen so far. I'm not diluting anything, I save "gorgeous" for later use.

Gurish

It IS identical. Only difference is a missing feature that really isn't major and 30FPS. Maybe graphics but we don't know that.

Honestly a pretty good compromise for portability

Maybe graphics? Even by the little amount of media we have you can see it looks considerably worse than current gen versions, looks closer to last gen than current gen.

I do agree that the portability is a big plus, playing a full featured basketball game on the go is pretty awesome and that's what the Switch is about eventually.

MaLDo

You gonna elaborate on that statement?

Graphics include resolution, framerate, antialiasing, reflections quality, shadows quality, texture resolution, anisotropic filtering, level of detail of models.... and all of them are different between ps4 and switch. So the graphics are not the same.

Plum

Graphics include resolution, framerate, antialiasing, reflections quality, shadows quality, texture resolution, anisotropic filtering, level of detail of models.... and all of them are different between ps4 and switch. So the graphics are not the same.

"As far as graphics go, animation and AI are also the same across all platforms"

AI is a weird thing to lump in with graphics but the quote was very clearly only talking about those two bolded things. I don't see how you can think they were saying that the games look identical.

MaLDo

"As far as graphics go, animation and AI are also the same across all platforms"

AI is a weird thing to lump in with graphics but the quote was very clearly only talking about those two bolded things. I don't see how you can think they were saying that the games look identical.

The quote is not clear enough for me then, sorry.

theWB27

Im gonna question switch owners who think this isn't good enough. Fully featured 2k18 and the only caveats is 30fps and paired down visuals? And you can take it on the go?! I dont think those who will pass really want nice things.

Top Bottom