• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2k18 on Switch is "identical" to PS4 (in game modes, not visuals)

We've been discussing this in the other thread but definitely needs its own.

Amiibo Support is going to be interesting.

Jubenhimer

It feels strange, third parties putting the effort into a Nintendo version.

What's especially interesting is that all it took for third parties to take Nintendo seriously, was putting out a glorified tablet with a TV out. It's like they put effort into into Nintendo's mobile platforms like the DS, but didn't even bother with the Wii.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The USGamer article is terrible honestly. Like it directly quotes a tweet from Kat Bailey (who runs said site)... that shows the game is not identical in any way other than being feature complete. That is not the same thing as being identical.

It looks straight up bad compared to the other versions.

VariantX

It feels strange, third parties putting the effort into a Nintendo version.

The hardware is good enough to be representative of the experience that some devs want while selling well enough to give developers confidence that their investments and efforts might not be wasted after all. I think we're slowly approaching a point where the switch will eventually receive all the 3rd party support it can reasonably get given the capabilities of the hardware once Nintendo is able to keep stores supplied with the console longer than a day.

Amazing, as long as it still runs smooth and has all of the modes I couldn't care less if the graphics are significantly pared down. They obviously have to be considering the hardware, and especially portable mode. Definitely excited to jump on this at launch barring some major performance or other issue coming up.

I don't think there's anyway they would go with 30fps, they've never done that before have they? They would almost certainly remove some of the other graphical effects instead of cutting the framerate in half.

Jarate

Banned
Nintendo switch version is gonna be mine

as someone who simulates a lot in these games, this is going to be my crack

ASaiyan

Banned
Good work, 2K.

So, what is the deal with EA's Frostbite then? Can the Switch genuinely not run it? Seems like modifying it would've been a lot less work than the "custom engine" they built for FIFA, lol. And also make porting a lot easier in the long term.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good work, 2K.

So, what is the deal with EA's Frostbite then? Can the Switch genuinely not run it? Seems like modifying it would've been a lot less work than the "custom engine" they built for FIFA, lol. And also make porting a lot easier in the long term.

FIFA looks a lot better than 2K does on the switch. I think EA made the right choice not trying to make a bad version of Frostbite work on the switch out of the gate

EDarkness

Why would anyone expect otherwise?

The "identical" is a poor word choice by that article author. The only things identical are the modes included.

Because NBA 2k has been 60fps since forever. Why would anyone settle for less? I'd rather take lower end graphics than losing 60fps. FIFA looks WAY better than this, too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
lol..there is no way this is true - the PS4 is a much more powerful system. Yeah, feature wise and game mode wise the Switch version might offer the same....but the big boy version will look better, dont kid yourself.

2K was featured in reveal Switch trailer just like Bethesda with Skyrim....so i hope they at least tried their best with the Switch version.

Jarate

Banned
Good work, 2K.

The 2K engine is still basically the same one from last gen, while frostbite was made for current gen consoles.

2k16 was pretty well optimized on my PC last year as well

lol..there is no way this is true - the PS4 is a much more powerful system. Yeah, feature wise and game mode wise the Switch version might offer the same....but the big boy version will look better, dont kid yourself.

It is the year 2017, and people still post console war nonsense like this

It must be a very recent build, it has Thomas on the Cavs unless she did the swap herself.

https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/903295113304170496
DIkmHfHUIAE3_Wa.jpg

I think there's an event where they will be showing off the Switch version (among other things) more later today around 3:30PM EST so hopefully we can get further confirmation and information about this then.

conpfreak

Good work, 2K.

Seems like EA made the better choice as FIFA definitely looks better than this. Frostbite no doubt could run on the Switch, but mirroring performance of PS4/Xbox One is a different story on top of that engine.

Jarate

Banned
also, before people start worrying about the guy saying 30 fps, we dont really know an official FPS counter yet. Never trust peoples opinions on FPS until actual statistics come out. people are really bad at judging frames.

It must be a very recent build, it has Thomas on the Cavs unless she did the swap herself.

https://twitter.com/The_Katbot/status/903295113304170496

Also has the new Celtics Kyrie cover image so it's definitely a new build I think.

that looks rough as fuck.

Can't really argue, but that's a camera/off-screen shot of handheld gameplay which I wouldn't expect to look the greatest and certainly not on par with PS4.

Jarate

Banned
can we also not judge graphics quality on a poorly done off screen phone camera photo looking at a tiny ass screen.

Is this going to be possible!?

ASaiyan

Banned
Saw a comment that it's 30fps, I hope that's not the case.
FIFA looks a lot better than 2K does on the switch. I think EA made the right choice not trying to make a bad version of Frostbite work on the switch out of the gate
The 2K engine is still basically the same one from last gen, while frostbite was made for current gen consoles.

Ahh, okay. Yeah, feel free to not port your old engine if you can't make it hit 60 yet, lol. I'm still pleasantly surprised EA went ground-up and didn't just go with Ignite.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It is the year 2017, and people still post console war nonsense like this

No idea what you are talking about but the Switch version wont look as good as the PS4/XBO version. Its common sense, the games wont look "identical".

Not talking about the article but the notion that the graphics would be "identical" between Switch and the other consoles...this just isnt happening.

jmaine_ph

By identical they don't mean visuals. The article noted things like modes and animations (which I'm skeptical about) but happy it has all them modes.

Top Bottom