• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 will run at 30FPS on Switch, footage released

The Cowboy

Hopefully we get a demo, i don't mind 30fps in some games and being a sports game i'd like to try it and determine how it feels before a purchase.

weekev

Banned
I don't think 30 FPS mean as much a many on GAF make it out to be. However, the problem is that it goes up against a 60 FPS version on the PS4/XB1. Most people that have a choice will pick the PS4/XB1 versions over the Switch which is going to put a hurting on Switch sales. Of the people who only own the Switch, I doubt that NBA 2K18 is the type of game that is near the top of their wish list.

This would be true if it werent for the fact that Switch is a handheld which gives an advantage over the other versions. If you were gonna be playing at home anyway of course ps4/xb1 is better but if you plan on taking it to the office or a friends house, the portability is a massive selling point for a lot of people.

StereoVsn

Or you just don't understand nuance (which given the gross generalisation it's very likely). Like the difference in the gameplay between OoT and a sport game and the impact the framerate has on both.
Considering that NBA 2K games are very animation heavy and are not really twitch games I don't think 30fps will be a huge detriment. Would 60fps be better? Sure, but I will take graphical IQ improvements and the story mode over that (in this particular game).

Edit: Just to add that personally I am getting it for my PS4 Pro since I am not planning on buying the Switch till next year. However this will be one of the games I will get immediately when I buy it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
30fps isn't bad if it's locked. It's just adjustment to get used to the movement. Perhaps devs should offer a 30fps mode on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S to allow for higher resolutions, textures, etc.

I don't think I said that it is bad, just that 60 fps it's obviously optimal for a sport game. But let's see, if the framerate is locked might still be pretty decent to play.

Edit: yeah, a demo would be good to judge how it feels.

Piscus

I'm not a huge into sports games (except for NCAA football, RIP in peace), but... I might actually be in for this.

edit: Geez, reading some of the comments.... Why do Switch threads always have to become a battle?

Minsc

Gold Member
Roll away, we also have data from NOA showing like 70% of people with a Switch play it at home.

I own a 3DS and a Vita and I play those mainly at home too, does that mean I don't value portability or does it make them not portables?

Our laptops are also mainly used at home, as well as our iPads... not sure what the argument you're making is, people value portability even if they only use the portability at home.

newsguy

While I'd love to shit on this, I love me some NBA 2K, and sports games on the go (I travel a lot for work) is specifically why I bought a Switch. Playgrounds is a dumpster fire, so I'm banking on this and FIFA to get me through the year. My only real fear is that even at 60 fps, 2K has a tendency to play clunky at certain times because of the long, drawn out animations. It's not all the time, but near the basket things can get awkward, if this is magnified by the 30fps it may look like molasses when making moves in the paint.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Playing in portable mode, 30fps is somehow compensated by Switch's screen super low latency, isn't it?

GAF greatly overrates the importance of portability to most people. Especially the gaming mainstream in the West.

Nah. The idea of having this game portable, even if it's played docked most of the time, is incredibly attractive. Portability is very important and has not been overrated at all.

Cepheus

That's fine with me. Let's just hope the visuals don't look washed-out in portable mode like NBA Playgrounds' did.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So there was a preview event right ? We still dont have any direct feed or longer footage of the Switch version ?

Seik

Banned
GAF greatly overrates the importance of portability to most people. Especially the gaming mainstream in the West.

I'd say the same thing about FPS, honestly.

Your average Joe don't even know what framerate is, will only notice if it struggles a lot.

All in all, if it's a solid 30fps, I don't think this put the game's success in peril.

So PS4 it is...

Portability is all fine and dandy if I ever had a reason to take a Nintendo console "on the go". Sadly I can't play it at work so it just stays docked. Another generation of just 1st party games on my Nintendo console. Thats fine because I need Mario.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So PS4 it is...

Portability is all fine and dandy if I ever had a reason to take a Nintendo console "on the go". Sadly I can't play it at work so it just stays docked. Another generation of just 1st party games on my Nintendo console. Thats fine because I need Mario.

.....well that escalated quickly.

Year 1 NB2K release being 30fps means Switch is a first party only machine for you now? ...lol.

dan2026

Prioritising graphics over frame rate is always the wrong move.
This will always be my opinion. 60fps makes all the difference over 30 in every game.

Luckily, GAFs opinion on things like FPS don't reflect the majority of gamers, especially ones that would be buying games like this. I never hear people in public talking about frame rates of anything, but OFTEN ahead people talking about how good something looks. For this kind of game that targets a more casual gaming audience, they made the right decision, as long as the 30fps is locked.

It looks good and it doesn't look like it's a feature-barren, crap version of the game. Good on the third party devs for doing the real leg work on Switch titles!

I hope Switch keeps powering ahead in sales and they get rewarded for it.

jwhit28

It's still a pretty amazing port if the content truly is equal. It's hard to believe that whenever the 3DS is retired the difference between the handhelds and the consoles will be a FPS drop.

heringer

I mean, 30 fps is never ideal for a sports title, but people were all excited over FIFA on Vita when it was first released, and that was 30 fps too. Honestly, it was pretty decent, shame EA botched the following releases.

.....well that escalated quickly.

Year 1 NB2K release being 30fps means Switch is a first party only machine for you now? ...lol.
NBA2K saved the WiiU, so I'm not sure what he is talking about.

I can't imagine many people caring about a portable full fledged sports game.

OryoN

That's pretty impressive still, especially given how similar the visuals look(and identical content, animations, etc)

I would have liked a 60fps alternative with downgrades elsewhere, but I imagine that what we got was much easier, given the timeframe and/or man-power. Wonderful job still... on a much weaker system and in its infancy, as far as full potential goes.

Dominator

Is the demo coming to Switch? I want this on there, but I need to try it out now to see if it's bearable. So many years at 60 I don't know if it's worth going back.

Personally I think 30fps racing games are a much bigger 'offence' but people here lap those up in droves, so this isn't anything really.

Justified

Last gen ports of recent NBA 2K games run at 30FPS, and they play fantastic. I didn't notice much of a difference playing 2K16 on 360 at 30FPS vs playing on PS4 at 60FPS

Nba2k ran at 60 on the 360 and ps3. They chose to not use different assets.

They did? Shit I didn't know that. Could have sworn 2k always ran at 60

They Did. In fact 2K7 was the first time they reached 1080p60fps, at least on PS3 (though the framerate took hits at times)

https://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/2k-proclaims-our-sports-games-will-run-in-60fps/
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/nba-2k7-review/1900-6161984/

jwhit28

NBA2K saved the WiiU, so I'm not sure what he is talking about.

I can't imagine many people caring about a portable full fledged sports game.

These games are a lot more than just playing 4 quarters now. They have a pretty deep RPG mode that requires doing training minigames. They have a trading card mode that requires grinding out some currency. Being able to treat that as a 2nd screen experience is pretty nice.

They Did. In fact 2K7 was the first time they reached 1080p60fps (though the framerate too hits at times)

https://www.engadget.com/2007/08/24/2k-proclaims-our-sports-games-will-run-in-60fps/
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/nba-2k7-review/1900-6161984/

If 2k7 could do 1080p/60fps on last gen hardware I am not sure why the Switch can't. Doesn't add up. I know graphically the games are more challenging but I am sure they could have found a way to make it work.

Top Bottom