• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

Lgndryhr

Thanks. I agree. As a fan of these since the very first and knowing that some are better than others, I wasn't devastated but as I say in the Funfactor section. I actually had a good time and that almost makes it worse. Because the rubberbanding, lack of various options and so forth mean that the fun has far too high a cost.

Your fun factor section has put the title in bargain bin for me if I cannot find a decent racer by then for this gen and even then I'd probably pick Rivals over it. I have been very unimpressed this generation concerning the racing genre.

Have to agree with him about the music being unbelievably bad. It's easy enough to choose your own soundtrack though.

I wish the soundtrack was one of the major con's for this game because it can be easily remedied.

What the hell is this time cycle. ACG is right, it is like a mad scientist playing with the lights. They couldn't do something smoother?

The time cycle and night time being forced is weird for an open world racer. There is no excuse for it. This could have been handled way better.

SIghs what has EA done to Criterion Games...

That was good.

Game seems just as horrible as expected.

The only reason to even get this is for for 4k play on PC as I am sure it will look pretty damn amazing (it already looks nice on consoles).

Give me a break.

I think one of the most thankless job categories out there nowadays must be game development. I can’t imagine putting months or years worth of work into something and having a legitimately decent product that I’m proud of - only to have randoms on the internet deem it “horrible”. Armchair game criticism at its asinine finest

Arttemis

Does that seem easy to you? Cause it's not. Not only it takes an insane amount of time to model proper interiors but it will also have a negative impact on performance since you're rendering more stuff inside the car.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who would be happy with dash-view that doesn't include the gauges. That's far less detailed and work-intensive than the entire interior, and far better than just a front-bumper view.

Give me a break.

I think one of the most thankless job categories out there nowadays must be game development. I can’t imagine putting months or years worth of work into something and having a legitimately decent product that I’m proud of - only to have randoms on the internet deem it “horrible”. Armchair game criticism at its asinine finest

How can you legitimately expect anything else when you're working for company that forces mandates for always online in a game that does absolutely nothing to justify it?

Arttemis

Thanks Vintage glad you liked it man.

Personally I just can't remember any developer tying it into location.

There are a bunch of games where the time of day is tied to the location, but usually those are segmented areas that require one to load into place. I don't know of any open-world games like that.

How can you legitimately expect anything else when you're working for company that forces mandates for always online in a game that does absolutely nothing to justify it?

Ummmmm. I hope I never have the kind of outlook that makes it a foregone conclusion that a game is “HORRIBLE” based on features that I don’t like or agree with. There’s plenty of other things to enjoy about this title that fall outside of the admittedly puzzling and, apparently, unforgivable transgression of always online.

Karak

There are a bunch of games where the time of day is tied to the location, but usually those are segmented areas that require one to load into place. I don't know of any open-world games like that.

Right I am indeed talking about the this same system. I can't think of one.

Personally I just can't remember any developer tying it into location.
Absolutely. In a segmented game sure. But open world? Weird as hell.

Great review though. Really wanted to see someone walk through all the parts of the game. Made me feel like picking up Driveclub for a few minutes :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, he craps on it a lot, but everything he shows looks so damn good, lol. He craps so much on the cutscenes, but they looks so ridiculously self-aware of their own dumbness that I don't see how you can complain. Also, I call BS on his soundtrack assessment. I knew about 8-10 songs from that list, and at least those are pretty good. Overall, pretty good review actually, it's just that I don't weigh too much what he considers negatives.

newsguy

Despite the negatives I'm still interested in the game. Soundtrack can be my own and hopefully the PS4 version sports a better and more consistent framerate.

Karak

Well done review - still hasn't wavered my anticipation though. Subbed nonetheless.

Thanks cloaked.

Absolutely. In a segmented game sure. But open world? Weird as hell.

Great review though. Really wanted to see someone walk through all the parts of the game. Made me feel like picking up Driveclub for a few minutes :p

DC got motorbikes today! Actually they look like they are basically remodeled cars with their damage handling but still. That's pretty sweet.

Well, he craps on it a lot, but everything he shows looks so damn good, lol. He craps so much on the cutscenes, but they looks so ridiculously self-aware of their own dumbness that I don't see how you can complain. Also, I call BS on his soundtrack assessment. I knew about 8-10 songs from that list, and at least those are pretty good. Overall, pretty good review actually, it's just that I don't weigh too much what he considers negatives.

He already says they are dumb because they are playing it straight. Also just because they are self aware of how shit it is doesn't actually make it any less shit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He already says they are dumb because they are playing it straight. Also just because they are self aware of how shit they it doesn't actually make it any less shit.
I know he said that, but to me it didn't look like they're playing it straight at all. Thus the self-aware comment.

Karak

He already says they are dumb because they are playing it straight. Also just because they are self aware of how shit it is doesn't actually make it any less shit.

Well they already stated it was serious in interviews, and then their meeting with Giant Bomb solidified that completely. Its well known they treated the FMV as real drama and there isn't any self awareness there nor planned. Even according to them.

psylah

I'm in. A poor handling model is probably the worst thing that would affect my enjoyment, but I'm sure I've played through and enjoyed racing games with worse handling than this (Auto Modellista).

I have a question.
About the customization. How it is? I watched some videos on Youtube and i see most of the elements are locked. You unlock them with the story or is it so limited? This can be a deal breaker to me.

The soundtrack has a couple of decent songs, but it's tough to really listen to it anyways when you're constantly getting phone calls.

Karak

I have a question.
About the customization. How it is? I watched some videos on Youtube and i see most of the elements are locked. You unlock them with the story or is it so limited? This can be a deal breaker to me.

Its strangely double locked. Level as well as missions.

BONDO

I'm in. A poor handling model is probably the worst thing that would affect my enjoyment, but I'm sure I've played through and enjoyed racing games with worse handling than this (Auto Modellista).

Memories! Auto Modelista was awesome

SliChillax

Basically every other racing game out there has it now though, if Driveclub can do it with it's insane graphics then there's really no reason why NFS doesn't have it. Even GTA V has it lol.

GTA's car models are nowhere near as detailed as NFS and they share the same few 5 cockpit models for all the cars. Driveclub is not open world, your comparisons make no sense. I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have cockpit view, but to people who are requesting it are being totally unrealistic.

GTA's car models are nowhere near as detailed as NFS and they share the same few 5 cockpit models for all the cars. Driveclub is not open world, your comparisons make no sense. I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have cockpit view, but to people who are requesting it are being totally unrealistic.
The other always-online open world driving game The Crew has it, as does the optionally-online open world Forza Horizon, to name some more. Even Mad Max has it.

Karak

VideoGamer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY8bnPp9W2o

I guess I'll pick it up if its £15 but I share their disappointment.

Holy shit. Though thats not a review, its two guys smoking blunts and forgetting their own names. When they do talk about the game...damn.

Top 5 ways to play Need for Speed
Number 5 "Turn if off." jezuz thats harsh

"I can't really remember much about it. Its a shame of a game really" LOL. Not sure if thats because they sound loaded or if they were that bored with the game

BSpot

So... I've played an hour now.

The FMV is so bad I've actually come around on it. It's like Canadian teen actors trying to be hip street thugs bad. I'm cool with that.

The screen (PS4) feels a bit like it's smeared with vaseline.

I'm not sold on the handling yet. I feel like I'm pointing an avatar in a general direction to "avoid walls/cars" and not so much like I'm handing a car (say like with DriveClub or its betters.)

Most annoyingly, though, is actually the rubber banding / cheat AI.

Unless I'm supposed to lose the first 4 or so races (so far...) the AI players will just ROCKET past you at some point when you have it pegged on the straights and in first place. They just come at/past you at nearly double your speed. Often near the finish line so you cannot recoup your ground.

It's really bad.

I pulled the trigger on the PS4 version after watching some streams. It's got a 19 GB download which must be completed in full before you can start the game.

I've been itching for a decent open world racer ever since The Crew left a bad taste in my mouth.

The graphics look pretty nice here with good weather effects.

This looks similar to the NFS Underground games which had pretty horrible rubber-banding but I still tolerated it.

Overall the car customization looks pretty insane and I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

Hopefully I didn't waste 60 bucks!

Mattenth

Not a great start on OpenCritic :-\ sitting at 69 atm, but the reviews read much harsher (imo).

http://opencritic.com/#!game/1533/need-for-speed

It's interesting to see such polarization about the game. Jaz Rignall (USgamer), Mike Splechta (GameZone), and Bryan Ertmer (GamingTrend) were pretty positive. While Chad Goodmurphy (We Got This Covered), Ian Dransfield (VideoGamer), and Dean James (Attack of the Fanboy) were all very harsh.

Not a great start on OpenCritic :-\ sitting at 69 atm, but the reviews read much harsher (imo).

http://opencritic.com/#!game/1533/need-for-speed

It's interesting to see such polarization about the game. Jaz Rignall (USgamer), Mike Splechta (GameZone), and Bryan Ertmer (GamingTrend) were pretty positive. While Chad Goodmurphy (We Got This Covered), Ian Dransfield (VideoGamer), and Dean James (Attack of the Fanboy) were all very harsh.

That was me with the review for Attack of the Fanboy and I tried so hard to like it more. It just had so many flaws that kept it from being a really good game. It's definitely something to build on for their next outing though if they work on what went wrong.

Mattenth

That was me with the review for Attack of the Fanboy and I tried so hard to like it more. It just had so many flaws that kept it from being a really good game. It's definitely something to build on for their next outing though if they work on what went wrong.

How much do you think the performance drops impacted the experience? I've been watching some streams and it seems inconsistent - some streams have lag/stutters that makes me want to rip my hair out (and the streamers were upset too), while others seem pretty decent.

How much do you think the performance drops impacted the experience? I've been watching some streams and it seems inconsistent - some streams have lag/stutters that makes me want to rip my hair out (and the streamers were upset too), while others seem pretty decent.

The biggest problem with that is just how random they were. There were times where it would popping up at even slow speeds and especially when hitting the higher speeds, but then others it only became a problem when at top speeds. Thankfully it recovers quick enough, but I can concur that it was very frustrating at some points, especially during the drifting missions.

killroy87

Shame this wasnt a home run. Really was one of my most anticipated of the year. I'll still pick it up, I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough, but I was hoping for more.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
I'm just watching a stream and the servers drop on the guy :(

Meanwhile I'm playing Underground 2 at the same time. Good times.

Top Bottom