• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Blomkamp (District 9) shares art of recently(?) canned ALIEN film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elysium was indeed poorly written. Which is funny because it shares many similarities to D9, which is pretty damned awesome. The very ending to Elysium is terrible. Ended with Matt Damon closing his eyes dead, showing how the world is saved was a bad idea.

Also, it would've been twice as good if they cast an actual Mexican, rather than the most white actor allowing it to be the immigration parable it tries to be, in this case, it could;ve been emotional enough to be powerful and potentially very good.

But, Neil is a very promising director, with the ability to create some of the coolest action sequences. The weapons in Elysium are just flat out awesome.

Why not show Aliens actually going to earth? In all the films the locations are remote and/or desolate with few people. I wonder what it would be like if they attacked earth. With the firepower and 12 gazillion people I doubt the Aliens would have a chance. They spread fast but not that fast.

YYW53fb.jpg
Sigourney looks like Bruce Willis from Die Hard in this sketch.

tcrunch

It's the story of how Ripley went back to Earth and never encountered aliens again so she started cosplaying one for Furfest 3017.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
A Neil Blomkamp Alien film? His eye for CG would have made the best looking xenomorph since the original :(

Too bad this got canned, Blomkamp would've been perfect for this kind of film. (Only Blomkamp film I can think of that's not as good is Elysium, which is still pretty entertaining on its own.) At this point I'd rather have this than Prometheus 2. Speaking of which, are they still developing that one?

diaspora

A Neil Blomkamp Alien film? His eye for CG would have made the best looking xenomorph since the original :(

Seriously, that plus his art direction would have been great. IMO Bloomkamp is really, really good when he's paired with a solid writer.

Adam Blue

As a huge Alien fan, this is mind-blowing. I'm all for seeing this happen even if I hate Prometheus and the looks of this tying into that.

Also, I am one that had no problem with Elysium.

Kurdel

Banned
I mean, why would Weyland Yutani want the aliens if not to build bio-tech based of their perfect organism?

An Alien/Engineer suit can make sense from the perspective.

Why not show Aliens actually going to earth? In all the films the locations are remote and/or desolate with few people. I wonder what it would be like if they attacked earth. With the firepower and 12 gazillion people I doubt the Aliens would have a chance. They spread fast but not that fast.

They had wanted to do Aliens on Earth before but it was just too expensive to pull off, hence always putting the movies on space ships or confined areas.

Course we eventually did get it with AvP2

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I'm a big fan of Neil Blomkamp's District 9 although I was left disappointed by Elysium. I think he is a decent sci-fi director and I think he could make a potentially great alien film. I just want an alien film that ties the Xenomorphs, Yautja, Humans and Engineers together. Something that explains the Engineers need of the xenomorphs and other bio weapons, the xenomorphs origins and the predators role in this convoluted saga. I'd also like to know why the Engineers are hellbent on eradicating humanity. I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 1/2 to 3 hr long epic movie that answers all these questions and actually advances the universe's mythology as opposed to retreading over previously covered themes and stories.

I only saw Prometheus the other day. I should look up why everyone hated it because I though it was ok if a bit predictable.

Anyway a Blomkamp Alien movie sure sounds great. I would be down for one last Ripley movie if the right people are in charge of it.
I agree, a Blomkamp Alien would be nice but I'm pretty sure Prometheus 2 is already written.

About Prometheus, there are a lot of character flaws and plot holes, but I thought it was good because after the movie ended I wanted to discuss these issues with other people. What's the black goo? Who are the Engineers and why do they want to destroy us? Are they at war with xenomorphs? And a hundred more unanswered questions. A lot of sci-fi movies have nicely bow-tied endings but I like ones that don't.

Silkworm

I presume the picture of Ridley in a modified space jockey suit to fit humans is just that. Human Ripley dons space jockey suit a la Samus to infiltrate/combat aliens, not Riplley spliced with human DNA as a hybrid. Figure the space jockey suit tech would far exceed anything humans could come up with their own at that time in terms of combat effectiveness. *shrug*

Nikodemos

I want this and I don't. Blomkamp does amazing art direction and cinematography, he just sucks at narratives and should not be let anywhere near a blank sheet of paper.

I hope a decent screenwriter/co-director could/would have steered him in a direction more interesting than the re-treaded "guy/gal gets inside futuristic suit and wrecks shit", which seems to be one of his favourite themes.

Blomkamp's no stranger to working on video games - is it possible this was an early go at one? Maybe a sequel to Colonial Marines, even? Then again, that doesn't quite make sense considering the Ripley in this artwork doesn't look like mid-90s Weaver, but 2014 Weaver; or that Sega would even want to continue down that road after 2013's massive fuckup.

I guess it could have been a pitch he was going to make for Prometheus 2 that he shitcanned himself?

In either of those possibilities, though - it's Blomkamp directly following up a massive disappointment. I dunno if it's even worth trying to get back to Ripley & Hicks anymore, honestly.

He still hasnt' said what this was for or why it was done, has he?

OldRoutes

Blomkamp's no stranger to working on video games - is it possible this was an early go at one? Maybe a sequel to Colonial Marines, even? Then again, that doesn't quite make sense considering the Ripley in this artwork doesn't look like mid-90s Weaver, but 2014 Weaver; or that Sega would even want to continue down that road after 2013's massive fuckup.

I guess it could have been a pitch he was going to make for Prometheus 2 that he shitcanned himself?

In either of those possibilities, though - it's Blomkamp directly following up a massive disappointment. I dunno if it's even worth trying to get back to Ripley & Hicks anymore, honestly.

He still hasnt' said what this was for or why it was done, has he?

It was his own personal project, it apparently was before Promotheus even existed.

Yeah, seems as if this was a pitch that he was working on, not an actual studio project.

Anyways, 2 new images.

RU2cgnB.jpg

bYWdUuz.jpg

It was his own personal project, it apparently was before Promotheus even existed.

They're dated to March 2014, and definitely are using some Prometheus concepts, so it I doubt it's from before it existed.

Even if he had gotten Fox to bite on some of this stuff - I can't imagine they'd have gone along with bringing back Biehn & Weaver. Not only for the potential confusion it would cause, but because it just seems limiting.

It's weird, I don't remember Hicks being that badly burned at the end of Aliens. I mean, in these concept art pics, he's almost Two-Face.

Cardon

I'm digging the art and general approach of these concept images. But as others have brought up, I'm just wondering as to the inclusion of Weaver and Biehn in the movie. Love both of them as actors, but it would be odd to see them in a movie now considering their age unless some CG trickery would be used, yet that wouldn't be cheap.

Not surprising Blomkamp was working on this. I saw an interview with him once where they asked him what his influences were and he said Alien and Aliens. Then she asked him what other films or filmmakers, and he said no, pretty much just Alien and Aliens.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I think we all want a real Alien 3 with Hicks and Ripley. Shame we didn't get it.

I think Alien 3 could have been about new characters. Aliens was already a nice conclusion to Ripley's story while simultaneously developing a new twist on the creature (both in tone and actual biology)

But yes as has been said multiple times before, an Alien 3 where Hicks is interacting with the prisoners would have been interesting. The funny part is that they still had to pay Michael Biehn because they used his image in the theatrical cut.

alien-3-hicks-dead.jpg

People who want Sigourney Weaver go, you guys suck. She is the only one who is preventing the main line Alien franchise from going the way of the Terminator or Prometheus. She will hold out for a better script and wait for a talented film maker in the caliber of Ripley Scott or James Cameron in their peaks and start in an Alien film one more time as the white haired Ripley believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom