• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2012 Anime of the Year Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

The Hyouka finale wasn't exactly praised for its conclusiveness.

I know I flipped a table.

That's true, but at least Hyouka has the copout of having an open ending. Fate/Zero really needed a better resolution for that scene, which makes it perplexing that they didn't remedy it on the bluray. It's not a a show-killing flaw, but it is a flaw.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What? Are you crazy? lol

Yes.

I was robbed. I wanted a confession. I got the confession. Then it was stolen from me.

ROBBED I TELLS YOU.
That's true, but at least Hyouka has the copout of having an open ending. Fate/Zero really needed a better resolution for that scene, which makes it perplexing that they didn't remedy it on the bluray. It's not a a show-killing flaw, but it is a flaw.

I should mention that I dropped F/Z soon after
"1 mirrion hashashins"
and only watched the finale.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

F/Z's plot was fairly conclusive and was resolved fairly well. Just because one plot thread wrapped up badly doesn't mean it needed a better resolution.

How was Hyouka supposed to end? With a double wedding?

It was supposed to end exactly the way it did. Nothing wrong with it. It was an alright conclusive ending.

Jarmel

Banned

Resolution wouldn't be the wording I would use. Probably background instead. It would have made the impact more emotional and given it more context. That said it does work on a superficial level but it's just not on par with the rest of the show.

It's about how I figured it would turn out. I'm glad the K-ON! movie broke the top ten. Seeing Girls und Panzer so high also makes me smile.

Haly

But you know it will happen! Did you want a Chuu2 ending or something?

Knowing it will happen is not the same as having it happen.

You know what will happen at the start of most weddings, but it doesn't really feel complete until they put their rings on each others' hands and kiss. The completion of the ritual is the whole point.

I just wanted them to have gone through with the
delusion
, they could've ended it RIGHT THERE and it would've been such a stronger ending.

Have you watched F/Z? You really should.

Ok :)

Pyscho Pass kind of is, though a lot more straightforward than those two.

Liking the look of this, and hearing it's from production IG has me piqued.

Probably one of the best written high school based slice-of-life anime I've ever watched. I'd give it a few episodes to see if its your cup of tea because as much as I liked it, it took some time for it to grow on me. It's worth checking out for the visuals alone at least.

I'd say From the New World might fit that bill pretty nicely.

Ok, detective in high school setting, sold. Reminds me of Brick.

I couldn't sit through the first episode of From the New World. The animation style was just awful to me imo.

Love Space Brothers, mixed on Kids on the Slope but it had some really good moments. Will check out Hyouka

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People just wanted the confession scene to be real. Although that would be rather sudden considering Oreki's personality and Chitanda's social status.

Given how Oreki reacts to Satoshi's dickery, you can figure out what he'll end up doing in the future though.

trejo

Ok, detective in high school setting, sold. Reminds me of Brick.

It should be worth noting that Hyouka is a slice-of-life show first and foremost and not really a "detective" show in the western sense of the word so if you go in expecting something it's not chances are you will be disappointed when you don't find what you were looking for. I know that was the case for me and some others, at least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hopefully they show it in Gameboy resolution first.
It'll be a niconico stream of a Google+ hangout streaming a camera pointed at a 13" black and white tv.

It should be worth noting that Hyouka is a slice-of-life show first and foremost and not really a "detective" show in the western sense of the word so if you go in expecting something it's not chances are you will be disappointed when you don't find what you were looking for. I know that was the case for me and some others, at least.
Brick is an interesting comparison, but yes, it's not as on the nose as something like Brick. Or even the Hardy Boys.

Question.

I've wanted to check out Fate/Zero for a while now. However, I haven't seen the prior works.

Should I go through them first or can I skip straight to zero?

I only know that it's supposed to be a prequel of some sort.

I vaguely remember going through one route in the F/SN VN, but I don't remember much.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Question.

I've wanted to check out Fate/Zero for a while now. However, I haven't seen the prior works.

I vaguely remember going through one route in the F/SN VN, but I don't remember much.

Just watch Zero. For all intents and purposes, the other works don't exist.

Question.

Don't ever watch anything else but Fate/Zero. Nothing else exists. Purge any knowledge of other works in the Fate universe from your mind.

Jarmel

Banned
General notice:

Anybody interested in Fate/Zero, do not watch any other Fate related product first. Go into it blind.

trejo

Question.

Disregarding all previous FSN adaptations and focusing only on Fate/Zero is not only recommended but also encouraged.

Soma

Question.

No knowledge of the franchise is really needed to enjoy Fate/Zero. It's probably best if you avoid the F/SN anime.

There might be a few details in the end of the show that might get kind of confusing as they not explained that well though.

Haly

No you don't need any previous knowledge, although the fanservice helps boost the enjoyment you get out of it.

Skip, the F;S/N anime sucks anyway.

It is but it's self contained.

I vaguely remember going through one route in the F/SN VN, but I don't remember much
Mollusks.

DiGiKerot

Question.

It's a prequel. There's a major spoiler for the Heavens Feel, the final path of the F/SN visual novel, dropped right in it's first episode, but at the same time, not having played all of F/SN is going to save you from having elements of Zeros story spoilt too. I really like the F/SN visual novel (and I probably have a better opinion of that anime than most), but Zero is a far more satisfyingly dense and compact experience. No prior knowledge required.

Jex

I find this interesting if only because I couldn't care less about sakuga when it comes to anime and the animation is a small, small part of why I like Hoyuka.

Just be glad Hyouka didn't look like Jo Jo's or else it may have impeded your enjoyment of the series.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Since the mediotiempo forums got closed.

You posted on that cesspool? Well, I have an account there since 2000 but I only go there when there's delicious schadenfreude to be had nowadays.

BTW, why did you let SAA to be higher than Accel World? They are pretty much the same Animu, but once is clearly less shitty. :/

7Th

You didn't even vote this year.

My single vote would have been for Hyouka; I hate mixing movies with TV series in rankings so the GOD-ON movie would have been left out. I'm actually fine with the actual list, the year itself is what I consider not particularly good. Certainly not 2010 good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom